Social Club membership capped at 8500

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Dan Warna
Saintsational Legend

The Saintsational Man wrote:
Dan Warna wrote:
one of the worst things cain did was enforce the rights of MCC members and the MCG to host the GF.
Dan here we go arguing again.....

I'm an MCC member was on the list for 15 years or so.....paying $550 or so a year to be a member including a "Re-Development" levy.....

Basically we "Own" that part of the ground don't we???

How could you say that it's fair to "Ditch" us when that cost is probably more than most supporters of other clubs are paying for their memberships along with their own version of social club membership???

I'm interested to hear why.....
no you have a right to be at the MCG

the state government blocked the AFL moving the Grand final to VFL park and forced it to renegotiate with under the threat of legislation with the MCG.

the VFL members would have had similar rights to MCC members at Waverley park, hence the subsequent mix of MCC members on one side and VFL members at the MCG who at one stage had a similar allocation of GF tickets although their rights have eroded.

I have no problems with MCC members having access to the MCG, I have a problem with regard to the State Government under cain, of forcing the VFL at the time to give the rights to host the grand final at the MCG and not giving it the right to chose the venue of the Grand final.

the original plan was for a 156,000 capacity stadium, however when forced into contractual negotiations under the threat of legislation, then never bothered to finish it as they beleived they would never host a GF there.

ironically a few years later then 1991 GF was hosted at Waverley park.

read the statement in its full context.

There are a minority of MCC members who are st kilda members, I dont have a problem with them having exclusivity to the MCG, I have a problem with them having exclusivity to the GF.

although with the destruction of Arctic park and no other stadium outside telstra stadium in the same capacity the MCG and subsequently the MCC will continue to have exclusivity to the GF.

as a consequence of that less than 10k SC members will have a chance of getting GF tickets through their club.

now IM a SC Member so it doesn't affect me, however it is an issue to the tens of thousands of other st kilda members who will miss out should we win through to a GF.

yes the MCC does have huge rights over the ground and its adminstration, and has successfully marketed itself as the peoples ground, but its not really.
Last edited by Dan Warna on Tue 13 Nov 2007 4:21pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bewaire krime, da krimson bolt is comeing to yure nayborhood to smach krime

SHUT UP KRIME!
saint66au
Saintsational Legend

Likewise I'm an MCC Member..and a Saints SC member.

Whilst I love going to the GF every year, and queue from dawn if I dont get a reserved seat in the ballot, Id have NO problem with the best seats in the enclosure going to members of the competing Clubs. It will never happen though. You nominate your Club when you first join, but the information is purely for marketing. The AFL Members however, DO give preference to competing club members on GF day

THE BUBBLE HAS BURST

2011 player sponsor
The Saintsational Man
Club Player

Dan Warna wrote:
The Saintsational Man wrote:
Dan Warna wrote:
one of the worst things cain did was enforce the rights of MCC members and the MCG to host the GF.
Dan here we go arguing again.....

I'm an MCC member was on the list for 15 years or so.....paying $550 or so a year to be a member including a "Re-Development" levy.....

Basically we "Own" that part of the ground don't we???

How could you say that it's fair to "Ditch" us when that cost is probably more than most supporters of other clubs are paying for their memberships along with their own version of social club membership???

I'm interested to hear why.....
no you have a right to be at the MCG

the state government blocked the AFL moving the Grand final to VFL park and forced it to renegotiate with under the threat of legislation with the MCG.

the VFL members would have had similar rights to MCC members at Waverley park, hence the subsequent mix of MCC members on one side and VFL members at the MCG who at one stage had a similar allocation of GF tickets although their rights have eroded.

I have no problems with MCC members having access to the MCG, I have a problem with regard to the State Government under cain, of forcing the VFL at the time to give the rights to host the grand final at the MCG and not giving it the right to chose the venue of the Grand final.

the original plan was for a 156,000 capacity stadium, however when forced into contractual negotiations under the threat of legislation, then never bothered to finish it as they beleived they would never host a GF there.

ironically a few years later then 1991 GF was hosted at Waverley park.

read the statement in its full context.

There are a minority of MCC members who are st kilda members, I dont have a problem with them having exclusivity to the MCG, I have a problem with them having exclusivity to the GF.

although with the destruction of Arctic park and no other stadium outside telstra stadium in the same capacity the MCG and subsequently the MCC will continue to have exclusivity to the GF.

as a consequence of that less than 10k SC members will have a chance of getting GF tickets through their club.

now IM a SC Member so it doesn't affect me, however it is an issue to the tens of thousands of other st kilda members who will miss out should we win through to a GF.

yes the MCC does have huge rights over the ground and its adminstration, and has successfully marketed itself as the peoples ground, but its not really.
Cool.....fair enough.....

But there was always one problem with Waverley.....

A train line.....

Even if they did build a station.....with only 1 line accessing it.....

It would be f**n chaos if 156,000 people were to decend on the muddy car park/wooden seats of arctic park come September.....

Even though that was the best way ever to watch footy!!!

Dan Warna
Saintsational Legend

the AFL/VFL and state government missed a massive opportunity.

There are in excess of 1.2million people living east of warragul road.

that particular area is a bit of a black hole for public transport.

I remember the busses ferrying folks from Glen Waverley station, what a ridiculous joke.

SHUT UP KRIME!
VietNam_Saint
Club Player

My two bobs worth

In 97 I was a country member living in Gippsland. Tickets were rarer than Bakes or Frase gettin a fair go and the tribunal . I ended up in an alleyway at Yarraville at 6am spending $1000 on two tickets that came via West Coast yet put me up in the members stand. I thought I was very lucky indeed to have gotten these tickets.

Now I live overseas , pay my membership and the past few years have shelled for the SC. To me it seems cheap insurance and I placate myself by assuming that its more or less charity to the club . My Club remember.

This year , I managed to get to 3 games only.

I do feel that I am a St Kilda person, cut me and see the red ,white and black i will bleed. The years of despair and torment that I have endured have made me a Sainter .

Now , as i mentioned , "cheap insurance".
I read an article a few years ago that talked about the average cost of bums on seats and without the corporates , not many of us would pay the prices the afl would have to charge for a ticket . Very few of us indeed. Corporates subsidise the grass roots level supporter. US !!!.

So having said that , I find it amazing that as a member i could buy a SC which gave me some hope of getting a GF Ticket if i needed one.

I dont think i am a less deserving pwerson to see a GF with my team in it , but I do believe that people who pay there memberships and go week in and week out are more deserving then me.
I make my choices where I live and how many games I can get to a year and the reality is that Corporates should win over the average punter as it is they who put the money in.

Hmm , off to buy a SC membership now i think ,,,, another legal yet cheap form of insurance and it makes me feel good that the money goes straight to the club.

What will be next from this club ?
BakesFan
SS Life Member

The MCC has held a stranglehold over the GF for too long.

How many MCC members would there be if access to AFL games wasn't included?

If MCC seats were available for 'blockbusters', finals and the GF; your seat would nett more than the $550 you currently pay, The Saintsational Man.

Melbourne FC may even get enough members to survive if the MCC membership didn't include access to footy games.

By all means, watch as much cricket as you like; that's what an MCC (Melbourne CRICKET Club)membership should be about. How it translates to stealing seats from members of clubs competing in the G.F is beyond me.

Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people.(Eleanor Roosevelt)
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

BakesFan wrote:The MCC has held a stranglehold over the GF for too long.

If MCC seats were available for 'blockbusters', finals and the GF; your seat would nett more than the $550 you currently pay, The Saintsational Man.

Melbourne FC may even get enough members to survive if the MCC membership didn't include access to footy games.

By all means, watch as much cricket as you like; that's what an MCC (Melbourne CRICKET Club)membership should be about. How it translates to stealing seats from members of clubs competing in the G.F is beyond me.
They pay their money and are entilted to every ticket they get. They pay for the up keep of the ground and without them the MCG would look 100 years old.

asiu

i'm on board for session 2008......
yr spelling is getting a bit dowdy shark ...lol

s is close to a , though ....either that or ya gotta put yr glasses on (like me )

i'm in as well for session 2008

(on the easy payment plan....$23.22 a month)

:)

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
BakesFan wrote:The MCC has held a stranglehold over the GF for too long.

They pay their money and are entilted to every ticket they get. They pay for the up keep of the ground and without them the MCG would look 100 years old.
exactly.

It's this simpleton view that belongs very nicely in Herald Sun and various other beat ups.

Mind you, if the AFL had their way, MCC members would be shafted not just for the GF but the Prelim also!

BakesFan
SS Life Member

plugger66 wrote: They pay their money and are entilted to every ticket they get. They pay for the up keep of the ground and without them the MCG would look 100 years old.
You're kidding me aren't you, plugger66?

If it was just the MCC members the MCG would definately look 100 years old.

I'm pretty sure the good Taxpayers of Australia, Victoria and AFL crowds have done more for the MCG than the MCC ever has.

IMHO there'd be even more money for the upkeep of the MCG if those seats were available for sale during the Footy season; rather than hoarded by a few elitest w@nkers.

Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people.(Eleanor Roosevelt)
saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

BakesFan wrote:
plugger66 wrote: They pay their money and are entilted to every ticket they get. They pay for the up keep of the ground and without them the MCG would look 100 years old.

I'm pretty sure the good Taxpayers of Australia, Victoria and AFL crowds have done more for the MCG than the MCC ever has.

IMHO there'd be even more money for the upkeep of the MCG if those seats were available for sale during the Footy season; rather than hoarded by a few elitest w@nkers.
Bullshyte........the MCC has provided the lions share of funding for both stands constructed over the past 15 years.

The MCC will be in debt for the new stands for about another 10 years, and our yearly subscriptions have increased 10% year on year over the past 3 years to provide some of the funding.

I suggest to visit www.mcc.org.au and clue yourself up on the facts before
stating rubbish on here.

Thanks!

saint66au
Saintsational Legend

BakesFan wrote:

Hello...elitist w@nker here.. :wink:

The MCC Members actually wore more of the redevelopment cost than they were supposed to, thanks to the Government funding being withdrawn after too many "provisos" were included in the fine print of the funding. But.....if there was a way to somehow get more genuine members of the competing lubs to use that area..then it would not worry me if I missed out from time to time. It wont happen though..if ever there is a group of stuffy-nosed old-school suits..its the MCC Commitee. Youve got more hope of holding Collingwoods Mad Monday at the Melbourne Club

THE BUBBLE HAS BURST

2011 player sponsor
Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

MCG built by MCC members is about as real as Melbourne Aquatic Centre being built by swimmers, or the Grand Prix track being built by rev heads.

It just aint so.

Old enough to repaint, but young enough to sell
BakesFan
SS Life Member

The MCC has provided the lions share of the funding? Fair enough.

Was it from revenue generated solely by MCC membership and cricket?

How much of that funding was possible due to revenue generated from the AFL's use of the ground?

There are sporting clubs all over the nation that share sporting facilities. I'm pretty sure they don't cut across eachothers revenue streams and use of facilities.

....and I wasn't calling MCC members 'elitist w@nkers",saint66au. It was aimed at those you so aptly referred to as, "a group of stuffy-nosed old-school suits..its the MCC Commitee" They're obviously dinosaurs living out a dream of some glorious, Imperial, class-based past. :wink:

and just one further question.. How long would the MCC survive without the AFL using the MCG?

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

BakesFan wrote:The MCC has provided the lions share of the funding? Fair enough.

How much of that funding was possible due to revenue generated from the AFL's use of the ground?

There are sporting clubs all over the nation that share sporting facilities. I'm pretty sure they don't cut across eachothers revenue streams and use of facilities.

....and I wasn't calling MCC members 'elitist w@nkers",saint66au. It was aimed at those you so aptly referred to as, "a group of stuffy-nosed old-school suits..its the MCC Commitee" They're obviously dinosaurs living out a dream of some glorious, Imperial, class-based past. :wink:

and just one further question.. How long would the MCC survive without the AFL using the MCG?
Do you actually realise that everytime a MCC member goes to a game the AFL get revenue off the MCC members so they pay their way everytime they visit the ground. I am not a member but support the MCC members to continue to have every right they get as they pay more money to fix up the ground and maintain it than enyone else.

Dan Warna
Saintsational Legend

saint66au wrote:
BakesFan wrote:

Hello...elitist w@nker here.. :wink:

The MCC Members actually wore more of the redevelopment cost than they were supposed to, thanks to the Government funding being withdrawn after too many "provisos" were included in the fine print of the funding. But.....if there was a way to somehow get more genuine members of the competing lubs to use that area..then it would not worry me if I missed out from time to time. It wont happen though..if ever there is a group of stuffy-nosed old-school suits..its the MCC Commitee. Youve got more hope of holding Collingwoods Mad Monday at the Melbourne Club
you'll find it was federal government funding withdrawn, state labor govt and MCC split the difference.

but yes state govts have poured millions into the MCG.

IMO if 50% of what went into the MCG went into VFL park it would have been magnificent.

however the MCC, while it does include a fair few 'grass roots people' there are a hell of a lot of heavy weights in the MCC and they do 'lobby' the government effectively

SHUT UP KRIME!
RBnW
Club Player

plugger66 wrote:
BakesFan wrote:The MCC has provided the lions share of the funding? Fair enough.

Do you actually realise that everytime a MCC member goes to a game the AFL get revenue off the MCC members so they pay their way everytime they visit the ground. I am not a member but support the MCC members to continue to have every right they get as they pay more money to fix up the ground and maintain it than enyone else.
so now that you have debated the MCC & MCG and who paid for what to death, is it a good thing that the club are going to cap SC at 8500 and guarantee a GF ticket for all of us SC members without the possibility of having to go to a ballot.....that has to be good regardless of who paid for the MCG stands....who cares we will get a ticket for the GF when we make it and that has to be good, this will be sold out this year for sure..... :lol:

Our best is yet
to come......
BakesFan
SS Life Member

Very true, RBnW........ but wouldn't it be nicer to have at least 30,000 Real Sainters there, rather than a maximum of perhaps 12,000?

RBnW
Club Player

BakesFan wrote:Very true, RBnW........ but wouldn't it be nicer to have at least 30,000 Real Sainters there, rather than a maximum of perhaps 12,000?
Yes but when we get there, just like in 97 we will get tickets from everywhere and be there in numbers like never before......I just think that at least we can secure one by being a SC member and then rest easy...I think that a ballot would be wrong, if you have been a SC member for 15 years and missed out thats not right....this at least rewards loyalty and support for the club......
Do I agree that there are too many corporate tickets given out and controlled by the AFL for the GF....yes......the best game is the Prelim, its head to head supporters going at it full on.... :P

Our best is yet
to come......
BakesFan
SS Life Member

RBnW wrote:the best game is the Prelim, its head to head supporters going at it full on.... :P
...and the GF would be even better if it were head to head supporters ,too.

ahhhh, the '97 Prelim... still my favourite game of footy ever.

RBnW
Club Player

BakesFan wrote:
RBnW wrote:the best game is the Prelim, its head to head supporters going at it full on.... :P
...and the GF would be even better if it were head to head supporters ,too.

ahhhh, the '97 Prelim... still my favourite game of footy ever.

no its much better having 70,000 people there who don't the rules and don't barrack for anyone....ask the Dimwit.....he knows all about that

Our best is yet
to come......
sax
Club Player

Country/interstate members get screwed over big time.
I live in SA & I've had to buy Adult11/social club membership since I joined (1996) just to make sure I get a ticket to a GF we never seem to make!!! (except 1997)
As somebody else wrote, we can't make the xmas party, family day etc, & last year, the only game I got to go to was Port at AAMI, & I had to buy a ticket!!!
Since we've had a son I've found it more & more difficult to justify the cost, but I've still signed up again, for my 13th year!!!
Maybe I just love the club too much.
Country/interstate definately deserve more advantages eg: voting rights, access to Saints games in their state, access to GF tickets if they purchase social club on top of their C/I membership.
I also signed my 21 month old son up to be a "Little Angel"!
Last edited by sax on Tue 13 Nov 2007 9:52pm, edited 1 time in total.

stinger
Saintsational Legend

gazrat wrote:
i'm on board for session 2008......
yr spelling is getting a bit dowdy shark ...lol

s is close to a , though ....either that or ya gotta put yr glasses on (like me )

i'm in as well for session 2008

(on the easy payment plan....$23.22 a month)

:)

:oops: :wink: :lol:

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
mandystkilda

Hi everyone in saintsland :D
I think that it is a good idea to cap the SC members. I am a Social Club member. Granted not since 97 but I have renewed my SC every year since I became a member. 8-) I know it is an added cost but lets face reality unfortunatly people will miss out on Grand Final tickets. This way those who have payed the extra money to be a SC member can know that if St Kilda do play the GF we will be o.k. The best thing I can suggest is to join the SC asap and you will be fine. :)
If you want to join the cheer squad it should be because you want to yell, scream, cheer and make noise for the boys. It shouldn't be because you want a seat at the GF :twisted: (not all cheersquad members are guaranteed a ticket anyway).
Just one more thing the cheering should not be left to just the cheersquad.
If you wear the red, white and black it is up to you to cheer and make noise.
The bombers and cats fans don't leave it to their cheersquad they are loud no matter what! Lets next year let the other cheersquads have to listen us :!:

Oh When the Saints
Saintsational Legend

Welcome to SS mandystkilda.

They should only play AFL games now when it's raining. Slow games of footy are so much better to watch.