Familiar bells ringing at the Western Bulldogs

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

Teflon wrote:
Who was talking poor funding of the football dept BEFORE Westonhouse came along with Burkie? honestly who was talking Board challenges (seriously and no Bedlams drivel doesnt constitute a seruious challenge) BEFORE Butters and Thomas had their stoush in the media?

Yeah talk vibes, sponsors getting off, football spending blah blah blah - THE CATALYST for the sacking of Butters and the Board was undoubtedly the ongoing media feud with Grant Thomas.

To suggest otherwise is folly - as I said HAD Butters said nothing I doubt many members wouldve bought the "theres to many leaks and to much being said outta Moorabbin" party line.
That's right Teflon, it was the catalyst, the spotlight if you like that all was not right at the club from the Board down to getting the players out on the track. Personally I am happy that it was highlighted and there have been changes.

I'm going to contradict myself a little here but I believe St Kilda should be grateful for the Butterss/Thomas era and it was their initial vision that has got us to where we are but I still cannot help but believe it was fractured or tainted following the Blight sacking. It was there they compromised themselves for the first time.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

time to put the gt/rb stuff aside. it belongs to a bygone era. move on

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

bigcarl wrote:time to put the gt/rb stuff aside. it belongs to a bygone era. move on
Not exactly what we are talking here Carl and IMO untill this Board sign a major sponsor or provide us with a plan? OR tell us where the additional revenue to fund the mystery football dept increase is from this topic is very much alive and current.

Ghost - Ive seen nothing yet that indicates we are in a better position than the Butters Board.....so Im not entirely sure how you can be so quick to be wrapt on the change.......I dont like 'potential'....been burnt with that word before...

“Yeah….nah””
The Peanut
Club Player

bigcarl wrote:time to put the gt/rb stuff aside. it belongs to a bygone era. move on
yeah - I thought; geez the doggies discussion is lively sinse last checking in. :lol: :lol: :lol:

joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

you were the one wanting him to come back :roll: You said it was good that he would be welcome back, and you tell us to move on.

Yes lets move on, which means no going back to the past and letting the spectre of the ego mad Alpha male anywhere near the club in any official capacity at all.

I wouldn't keep Thomas away if he wants to take hs family to the games and pay to watch the Saints, somehow I doubt he woud do that if he had to put his hand in his pocket, he was a taker of Saints money, not a giver like the rest of us.

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

Teflon wrote: Ghost - Ive seen nothing yet that indicates we are in a better position than the Butters Board.....so Im not entirely sure how you can be so quick to be wrapt on the change.......I dont like 'potential'....been burnt with that word before...
I'll be interested to see how the Spendaway (or is that Wasteaway) board spins that it was them that got us another $1mill profit for season 2007 when the anual reports are released.

I will enjoy comparing the 2007 annual reports to their this time next year, because that will be the only time when a judgement can be made on the performance of the new board.

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

Teflon wrote: Ghost - Ive seen nothing yet that indicates we are in a better position than the Butters Board.....so Im not entirely sure how you can be so quick to be wrapt on the change.......I dont like 'potential'....been burnt with that word before...
I too share your concerns regarding the word 'potential' (Brodie Anderson was potentially the rover we'd been missing for years) but (and call me naive) I would rather a clean broom swept through the place if the condition of the club was half as bad as the new group would have us believe. It's great to keep making a profit but if it comes from cost cutting with no revenue being generated and sponsors severing ties then we were on a hiding to nothing.

mischa
Club Player

bigcarl wrote:the gt sacking split the club. wouldn't have mattered had his replacement made the finals first up ... but he didn't, and the rest is history.

good to see that both gt and rb are welcome back at the club under the new administration and we go into 2008 as a more unified club.
Agree bc (the sacking still has but the removal of Butterss has helped), although I could do without Butterss personally given another deliberate implosion he caused the football club. It makes for interesting reading though, trying to justify the Thomas decision by making up all kinds of libel and then trying to tell us "to get behind the club as one" :roll: :roll: :roll: which they themselves never did when the former coach was there and yet these are the ppl who keep insulting him and keep telling us to "move on" while they themselves....oh never mind :roll:

JeffDunne

No surprises in seeing the usual hate brigade out in force, but surprised many still miss the point.

Smart clubs have boards and administrators that lead and don't panic. If there's a problem you fix it. We fixed nothing but scapegoated a good coach because it suited agendas that had nothing to do with fixing our core problems.

When you have players going straight from the playing field to challenge the board it's got to be sending a clear signal.

Obviously not clear enough for some

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

joffaboy wrote:
you were the one wanting him to come back :roll: You said it was good that he would be welcome back, and you tell us to move on.
it is good that both gt and rl have been welcomed back by the new administration. they were both great for st kilda. it's not in an official capacity. move on from the hatred, is what i'm saying. ahhh, it is great to be a unified club once more

Joffa Burns
Saintsational Legend

Saints Premiers 2006 wrote: oh go tell daddy he did a decent job teffers
So Cassius comes on this forum and pushes his biased point of view (well weighted in favor of his father (although I commend his loyalty) and you ream his @rse like he is the second coming of the messiah, yet you attempt to castigate Teflon while presuming he is the offspring of RB?

You’re logic is as out dated and as infantile as your user ID 2006!

Proudly assuming the title of forum Oracle and serving as the inaugural Saintsational ‘weak as piss brigade’ President.
TimeToShineFellas
SS Hall of Fame

Not going to bother to post all quotes from Joffaboy and Teflon, but you guys are spot on with everything you said........

Spinner
Saintsational Legend

mischa wrote:
bigcarl wrote:the gt sacking split the club. wouldn't have mattered had his replacement made the finals first up ... but he didn't, and the rest is history.

good to see that both gt and rb are welcome back at the club under the new administration and we go into 2008 as a more unified club.
Agree bc (the sacking still has but the removal of Butterss has helped), although I could do without Butterss personally given another deliberate implosion he caused the football club. It makes for interesting reading though, trying to justify the Thomas decision by making up all kinds of libel and then trying to tell us "to get behind the club as one" :roll: :roll: :roll: which they themselves never did when the former coach was there and yet these are the ppl who keep insulting him and keep telling us to "move on" while they themselves....oh never mind :roll:

He had five years at the helm Mischa....

Seriously, It seems like you would follow your beloved GT into a century long drought of premierships...

PS: It would be good to read some of you thoughts/opinions that arn't GT related....Do you have any, or do you just simple roam the forum waiting for threads like this to appear. Personally, I think its the later.

rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

joffaboy wrote: I will enjoy comparing the 2007 annual reports to their this time next year, because that will be the only time when a judgement can be made on the performance of the new board.
I'd argue that ladder position should be taken into account when assessing any Board involved in a footy club.

That was the last Board's problem. They only cared about the Annual Report - not what happened on the field. Infact they sacrificed what happened on the field to make their Annual Report look better.

TimeToShineFellas
SS Hall of Fame

rodgerfox wrote:I'd argue that ladder position should be taken into account when assessing any Board involved in a footy club.
Forgiving my ignorance but isn't it (ladder position) up to the players and coaching staff to determine?

n1ck
Saintsational Legend

Isnt it up to the Board to provide the best football dept possible?

Instead of cutting the budget, cutting employees, cutting facilities, cutting sponsors - to fix the bottom line?

Yes the coaching staff and the players go out there every week, but the board needs to back them to the hilt.

joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

n1ck wrote: Instead of cutting the budget, cutting employees, cutting facilities, cutting sponsors - to fix the bottom line?
Instead of spouting Spendaways propoganda, could you please quote where these football dept cuts were?

Do you any idea that an organisation cannot be sustained over the medium term by making continued losses?

You want the STKFC to contine to be financial laughing stock of the AFL as they were for 100 years?

If it wasn't for Butterss and Waldron the STKFC would be in the same position as the Kangaroos.

But fall for the Wasteaway propaganda and keep parrotting it if it makes you feel like you know what you are on about. Feel free.

Butterss never once knocked back a request from the football dept, even spend hundreds of $000's on overseas trips and redoing the Moorabbin surface.

But hey dont let facts interfere with your delusions.

Cheers :D

Going forward, I hope like hell that Westaway can fulfill his promises, however to me he sounds like the current crop of pollys promising anything as long as they are elected.

Time to talk the talk.

Where are the new sponsors?

How much more sponsorship money will they bring in compared to the previous admin?

What are the revenue streams coming from to pay for all this new spending and FTE's?

All was glossed over and we have seen or heard absolutely nothign from the new broom.

However to be fair, as I said we wont know until next year if these people are good economic managers and we can do a comparision to what they promised and what actually occurred.

Lance or James??

n1ck
Saintsational Legend

joffaboy wrote:Butterss never once knocked back a request from the football dept, even spend hundreds of $000's on overseas trips and redoing the Moorabbin surface.

But hey dont let facts interfere with your delusions.
LOL!
Are you kidding me?
Burke is a liar - both from his playing days and then his year as an assistant coach - then.
He said to my face that Butterss wouldnt even let the footy department buy new footballs or ball bags, let alone new and needed equipment. Where do you get this rubbish that he 'never once knocked back a request' ?? Seriously, you're letting your emotions blur your posts.

THESE are the facts.

By the way, I am - and have always said so - extremely grateful to Butterss and Waldron. Their financial nous got us out of the red and into the black in a BIG way. There is not enough credit given to them, and they should be recognised as the men who, literally, saved our football club.

And you're right, clubs cannot function making repeated losses. They can, however, limit those losses, and work with some debt. Butterss chose to wipe out the whole debt, in order to make continual million dollar profits.
He did this by cutbacks in the footy department, by refusing to spend the necessary moneys when it was needed.

Sure, looks good on paper in the short term.

They could easily have wiped out half - or 3qtrs - of the debt, and then used the rest of this 'profit' on the footy department, while our growing support due to onfield success would have paid the rest of the debt over the next two years or so.

Much better off in the long term.

Where are our sponsors? Well its been continually stated that the boards hands are tied due to the gaming licenses. Im sure something will be announced soon.
On the topic of sponsors, why did we have a continuous revolving door of major sponsors? Our board turned them away. Why are one of our major sponsors over the last few years, suing the club for breach of contract?
Our board is why.

This is not propaganda Joff, this is fact.

... but dont let facts interfere with your delusions.

Cheers :D

JeffDunne

n1ck, I am led to believe we didn't get any new balls & equipment because Thomas didn't want any. Pretty much like everything else lacking in our off-field setup, it was a result of GT not wanting it.

You can't possibly believe he wasn't responsible for everything that went wrong with the club?

He's even responsible for hiring himself and the salary he paid himself. I presume he's responsible for sponsors suing the club too?

Stop being so bloody naive!!

rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

This.....
joffaboy wrote: But fall for the Wasteaway propaganda and keep parrotting it if it makes you feel like you know what you are on about. Feel free.
Followed by this....
joffaboy wrote: Butterss never once knocked back a request from the football dept,
Rich.

Butterss did knock back plenty from the footy dept. It's a blatant lie that he didn't.

Are you falling for the 'Butterss propaganda and parroting on about it'?

joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

rodgerfox wrote: Are you falling for the 'Butterss propaganda and parroting on about it'?
No but I can read an annual report. these are indisputable facts, not the airy fair anecdotal claptrap I have just read.

Care to show me where the unqualified annual reports under the Butterrs admin are incorrect?

Thats what i am going off. What are you judging your faith in Spendaway on?

Oh and can you answer what are the new revenue streams they are bringing on board to cover the expected huge spending spree? or are they planning to maye a loss? Or are they planning to go into debt?

Can you also tell me how much more revenue sponsorship will bring in for 2008 compared to 2007.

Are we looking down the barrel of a financial tsunami (thanks Mr Costello) or will the new broom bring on some extra revenue?

Mabye Mr Fox (Lindsay variety) may be helping out financially. Would be great and a real coup if he did.

As I said can onlt compare once the financials are in, after all it i9s the football depts responsibility to perform on the field.

As for anecdotal conversations, couldn't care less what an aspirational candidate told someone to get elected. Rod Butterss told me personally that he always granted football dept financial requests. Mabye there was some sort of miscommunication between the admin and the assistant coaches when Burke was there years ago.

Now who was between the Admin and the football dept??? Let me see - hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.

Lance or James??

rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

joffaboy wrote:
rodgerfox wrote: Are you falling for the 'Butterss propaganda and parroting on about it'?
No but I can read an annual report. these are indisputable facts, not the airy fair anecdotal claptrap I have just read.

Care to show me where the unqualified annual reports under the Butterrs admin are incorrect?
Why would I? I never said they were.

joffaboy wrote: Thats what i am going off. What are you judging your faith in Spendaway on?
Huh? Where, in any post I've ever made on here have I ever suggested I have faith in Westaway? I've never said anything of the sort.
joffaboy wrote: Oh and can you answer what are the new revenue streams they are bringing on board to cover the expected huge spending spree? or are they planning to maye a loss? Or are they planning to go into debt?

Can you also tell me how much more revenue sponsorship will bring in for 2008 compared to 2007.
Why would I? I never said anything about that.
joffaboy wrote: Are we looking down the barrel of a financial tsunami (thanks Mr Costello) or will the new broom bring on some extra revenue?
No idea. And I don't really care.

joffaboy wrote: As I said can onlt compare once the financials are in, after all it i9s the football depts responsibility to perform on the field.
The Board's responsibilty goes far beyond an Annual Report.
joffaboy wrote: As for anecdotal conversations, couldn't care less what an aspirational candidate told someone to get elected. Rod Butterss told me personally that he always granted football dept financial requests.
So you are parroting his propoganda then? It's Ok for you to do it, but not for N1ck to believe Burke and Westaway? That's a bit unfair.
joffaboy wrote: Mabye there was some sort of miscommunication between the admin and the assistant coaches when Burke was there years ago.

Now who was between the Admin and the football dept??? Let me see - hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.
Who runs the show? Or should I say, who is supposed to run the show?

Joffa Burns
Saintsational Legend

n1ck wrote:Burke is a liar - both from his playing days and then his year as an assistant coach - then.
He said to my face that Butterss wouldnt even let the footy department buy new ball bags,
:shock:

I'm with Butterss on this.
You go through life with what you are born with!

Proudly assuming the title of forum Oracle and serving as the inaugural Saintsational ‘weak as piss brigade’ President.
saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
mischa
Club Player

Spinner wrote:
mischa wrote:

He had five years at the helm Mischa....

Seriously, It seems like you would follow your beloved GT into a century long drought of premierships...

PS: It would be good to read some of you thoughts/opinions that arn't GT related....Do you have any, or do you just simple roam the forum waiting for threads like this to appear. Personally, I think its the later.
Ho hum my stalker is back :roll: Notice you're not shy in putting forward your views on GT (guess they're just the right opinions) Five years not enough given our history IMO. Pleeze go back to Carlscum and stay there :roll: :roll: