is gibbs a squib.....

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

stinger
Saintsational Legend

is gibbs a squib.....

instead of threads denigrating good st kilda players like fiora...who was in our best five players in the closing rounds.....how about addressing a question that has intrigued me this past year......i know he is only a boy...but he was the number one pick by the proverbial....yet i have seen him dog it about four times in the carscum games i watched.....

...is he a squib......
Last edited by stinger on Mon 05 Nov 2007 12:59pm, edited 1 time in total.

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
Oh When the Saints
Saintsational Legend

Yup.

Will be hidden when he has Judd, Murphy and Stevens around him who will do all the hard work, and Gibbs can wait off the flanks and receive on the outside.

He heard footsteps a few times this year, that's for sure.

They should only play AFL games now when it's raining. Slow games of footy are so much better to watch.
cowboy18
Saintsational Legend

No.

IMO anyone lacing up the boots to play senior football is showing courage and talent that takes that term out of the equation.

With respect to how he compares to his peers - he's an 18 year old being exposed to the game at the highest level, going from a role where he dominated his peers and less talented players to one where his every action will be scrutinised.

With that comes a confidence dent that he would not have played with for years. In the context of playing with Carlton, he hasn't had the opportunity to learn more of his craft the way most talented young footballers should. I imagine his repsonses to the footsteps alluded to relate to his experience and being asked to do too much too early. He's going to make bad decisions. From memory Gary Ablett Jr made one a few years ago in the finals against the Lions - he's not a squib either.

I don't believe "squibbing" can be applied to most AFL players, the game is simply too physical. There are certainly some where you do not get the 100% attack on the ball or sacrifices putting their body on the line ("picking and choosing efforts") but squib suggests something more sinister than that.

Joffa Burns
Saintsational Legend

An 18 year old walks out onto the ground as a number one draft pick with huge expectation of being the next 'Chri$ Judd' and makes the mistake of not going hard enough once or twice at a contest and is labelled a Sqib (OWTS) - very very harsh indeed.

Give him time before we apply such tags.

BTW, what cowboy wrote :wink:
Last edited by Joffa Burns on Mon 05 Nov 2007 11:38am, edited 1 time in total.

Proudly assuming the title of forum Oracle and serving as the inaugural Saintsational ‘weak as piss brigade’ President.
Oh When the Saints
Saintsational Legend

Yeah, fair enough GrumpyOne, squib is probably the wrong word.

A fair-weather footballer maybe ...

They should only play AFL games now when it's raining. Slow games of footy are so much better to watch.
yipper
SS Life Member

cowboy18 wrote:No.

IMO anyone lacing up the boots to play senior football is showing courage and talent that takes that term out of the equation.

With respect to how he compares to his peers - he's an 18 year old being exposed to the game at the highest level, going from a role where he dominated his peers and less talented players to one where his every action will be scrutinised.

With that comes a confidence dent that he would not have played with for years. In the context of playing with Carlton, he hasn't had the opportunity to learn more of his craft the way most talented young footballers should. I imagine his repsonses to the footsteps alluded to relate to his experience and being asked to do too much too early. He's going to make bad decisions. From memory Gary Ablett Jr made one a few years ago in the finals against the Lions - he's not a squib either.

I don't believe "squibbing" can be applied to most AFL players, the game is simply too physical. There are certainly some where you do not get the 100% attack on the ball or sacrifices putting their body on the line ("picking and choosing efforts") but squib suggests something more sinister than that.
100% agree - just no such thing as a squib / or being soft at this level. He was quite ridiculously put into the leadership group by Pagan in his FIRST year - as an 18yo!! Had not actually played a game. Just crazy!! Was he overrated as a player?? Possibly. But again, he was fed to the wolves way to early. He clearly got targeted cos he was in the leadership group at Carlton. Interesting to see how he goes this year with the likes of Judd, Stevens & co. around him. And he will not have the extra burden of team leader around his neck!!

I want to stand for something. I'm a loyal person and I think at the end of my career it will be great to look back and know that I'm a St Kilda person for life.
- Nick Riewoldt. May 19th 2009.
cowboy18
Saintsational Legend

RE-read stinger's title and visual inspection shows that he is most definitely not a squid.

ImageImage

Note his small eyes, the distinct lack of arms and suckers on Gibbs, his inability to change colour, texture and body patterns in response to a threat and his incapacity to last long in a marine environment.

Gibbs is not a squid.

GrumpyOne

cowboy18 wrote:RE-read stinger's title and visual inspection shows that he is most definitely not a squid.

ImageImage

Note his small eyes, the distinct lack of arms and suckers on Gibbs, his inability to change colour, texture and body patterns in response to a threat and his incapacity to last long in a marine environment.

Gibbs is not a squid.
But quite a few of us took the bait.

iceman
Club Player

Last edited by iceman on Mon 05 Nov 2007 12:09pm, edited 1 time in total.

evertonfc
Saintsational Legend

iceman wrote:<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value=" name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>
Don't think we can do embedded youtube clips in our vBulletin model :(

Clueless and mediocre petty tyrant.

iceman
Club Player

evertonfc wrote:
iceman wrote:<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value=" name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>
Don't think we can do embedded youtube clips in our vBulletin model :(
Cheers mate, just edited.

Beekay
SS Life Member

Is it not his first year of AFL?

Take your hand off it, lads.

stinger
Saintsational Legend

Re: is gibbs a squib.....

deleated
Last edited by stinger on Mon 05 Nov 2007 1:02pm, edited 1 time in total.

stinger
Saintsational Legend

cowboy18 wrote:RE-read stinger's title and visual inspection shows that he is most definitely not a squid.

ImageImage

Gibbs is not a squid.

:oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:

Quixote
SS Life Member

iceman wrote:

:lol:

Fortius Quo Fidelius Yo
Saints94
SS Life Member

Carlton should have picked Leunberger insted of squib

mad saint guy
Saintsational Legend

Compared to any average AFL footballer, absolutely. He is scared shitless of any hard collision with another player. He pulls out of contests at the first sign of trouble, but long-term I'm sure Carlton would rather that he is in top shape and playing good footy at 25 than hobbling around with bad knees and back problems from being bashed around in his first year.

He shouldn't be playing AFL footy, but because Carlton had nothing to play for this year they decided to carry Gibbs and let him just get used to the pace of the game.

Armoooo
Saintsational Legend

homework wrote:Carlton should have picked Leunberger insted of squib
OMG!! I actually agree with you :shock: :shock:
Lewie is going to be the next Cox, he has a massive future.

ROBERT HARVEY A.K.A The Great Man, Banger, Harves, Ol' Man River...
384 games, 4 B&F's, 3 EJ Whitten Medals, St.Kilda Captain, 2 Time Brownlow Medalist, 8 Time All Australian, 2nd Highest Brownlow votes poller.... The greatest of ALL TIME!!
Gilbert The Great
Club Player

Its to early to tell whether he will be a star, decent player or a struggler.

However i think it was a mistake and premature of Carlton to put him in the leadership group, to much pressure. No first year player should ever be in the leadership group imho, they should be given a chance to find their feet in the leagues before being given this responsibility.

Would be interested to hear your thoughts on this

St Igmata
Club Player

Armoooo wrote:
homework wrote:Carlton should have picked Leunberger insted of squib
OMG!! I actually agree with you :shock: :shock:
Lewie is going to be the next Cox, he has a massive future.
Carlton will pick up Kreuzer this year.
Also have Hampson who is arguaby the most agile 203 cm ruckman i have ever seen.

Leunberger and these two will be around for the next 12 years for their respective clubs.

brown-coat
SS Hall of Fame

Would Lenny Hayes have pulled out of a contest in his first year? No.

Therefore Gibbs is a squib.

hahhaaa

This will all come back to bite us you know....

Armoooo
Saintsational Legend

brown-coat wrote:Would Lenny Hayes have pulled out of a contest in his first year? No.

Therefore Gibbs is a squib.

hahhaaa

This will all come back to bite us you know....
Awww, that poor guy, this can not be good for his confidence...

ROBERT HARVEY A.K.A The Great Man, Banger, Harves, Ol' Man River...
384 games, 4 B&F's, 3 EJ Whitten Medals, St.Kilda Captain, 2 Time Brownlow Medalist, 8 Time All Australian, 2nd Highest Brownlow votes poller.... The greatest of ALL TIME!!
Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

If a Carlton supporter whose skin I wish to get under asks, I will say 'Yes' but as a rule I don't believe he is.

Unfortunately 100 acts of bravery can be undone by a moments hesitation. For the kids sake I hope it does not become a habit and he turns into the champion he was touted as being then heads back to S.A. in 2 years, sighting family reasons.

Saints Premiers 2008
Saintsational Legend

i couldnt care less as he will never play for us

if he matures and becomes a fun...we block him or at least try

if he is a ryan houlihan double we just simply kick the living s*** out of him

"It's a work in progress," Lyon said.
Brian Collis
Club Player

Of course he is