Age limits for men wearing onfield gear?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Armoooo
Saintsational Legend

luke.l_26 wrote:Lets just say, there is one chapter about a young blonde lass whom he was getting intimate with.. anyways.. to help him "get int he mood" he made her put on his Saints guernsey.
I laughed till i cried.
lol, that guy really loves the saints, he REALLY loves the saints!

ROBERT HARVEY A.K.A The Great Man, Banger, Harves, Ol' Man River...
384 games, 4 B&F's, 3 EJ Whitten Medals, St.Kilda Captain, 2 Time Brownlow Medalist, 8 Time All Australian, 2nd Highest Brownlow votes poller.... The greatest of ALL TIME!!
luke.l_26
SS Hall of Fame

oh yep. it's funny. you should read it.
Fantastic book. Like you said, he really, REALLY, REALLY loves the saints.

MWL - Blinding footy players on the field since 2003
Beej
Saintsational Legend

Armoooo wrote:Lol, I do love seeing a girl in Red, White and Black but I just don't like the actual guernsey idea, doesn't show enough of the figure :lol:
I see your point.

The club shop have also considered this and now they actually sell a female version of the guernsey which has a lower neck line and is relatively skin-tight so that it enhances the natural and sometimes less natural (*giggles*) curves of the female body.

The perfect Valentine's Day gift. :D

saint66au
Saintsational Legend

OLB wrote:
Armoooo wrote:Lol, I do love seeing a girl in Red, White and Black but I just don't like the actual guernsey idea, doesn't show enough of the figure :lol:
I see your point.

The club shop have also considered this and now they actually sell a female version of the guernsey which has a lower neck line and is relatively skin-tight so that it enhances the natural and sometimes less natural (*giggles*) curves of the female body.

Would go well with the AFL-approved Club G string ;-)

THE BUBBLE HAS BURST

2011 player sponsor
Armoooo
Saintsational Legend

saint66au wrote:
OLB wrote:
I see your point.

Depends on who's wearing it, if Caro Wilson were to sport one THAT would be bringing the game into disrepute.

ROBERT HARVEY A.K.A The Great Man, Banger, Harves, Ol' Man River...
384 games, 4 B&F's, 3 EJ Whitten Medals, St.Kilda Captain, 2 Time Brownlow Medalist, 8 Time All Australian, 2nd Highest Brownlow votes poller.... The greatest of ALL TIME!!
Beej
Saintsational Legend

Armoooo wrote:
saint66au wrote:
OLB wrote:
I see your point.

Depends on who's wearing it, if Caro Wilson were to sport one THAT would be bringing the game into disrepute.
OK, I wasn't really hungry anyway. Who wants the rest of my steak?

Animal Enclosure
SS Hall of Fame

I'm 33 & my footy going wear is my no.31 candy stripe guernsey with a jacket over the top...

nothing wrong with proudly supporting your club by wearing the colours!

Quixote
SS Life Member

saintdooley wrote: i am toyally against all these "no bumper over 18" rules!
You are an idiotic little squirt

Fortius Quo Fidelius Yo
Snakeman66
Club Player

Armoooo wrote:
riccardo wrote:I'm still only 26, but I'll wear my jumper for as long as they make them.

I've stopped wearing the socks, though.
That's a start atleast :wink:
Just stop wearing the Capper style shorts. :wink: :wink: :wink:

Don't dwell on the past.
Look to the future.
jill
Club Player

:D Oh Dear, this thread brought back SO many memories!!! The fleecy navy blue jacket that Mum bought me at 8-had zipper down front before tacksuits were in!! - spent hours sewing St.Kilda badge on front & cutting up perfectly good white sheet so I could sew 43 on the back [Leo Garlick for the ignorant]. At 10 Mum relented & bought me a mostly black jumper with a red & white ski-type pattern across the front-I was in footy mag pop at time!ALWAYS HAD SCARF & BEANIE & DUFFLE COAT!!!!later.
Have never worn THE JUMPER to the footy as much as I'd have loved to. As a nearly 60 year old woman who wears St. K windcheater & spray jacket with pride (plus beanie) MY ADVICE IS - GO WITH YOUR HEART!!!! :lol:

saint66au
Saintsational Legend

OK...47 here..and to games I wear a Saints polo or hooded top (depending on weather) with a scarf and cap...does a collection of membership (and generic Saints) pins in the cap count as fanboy?? bloody well hope not!!

The other 6 days of the week and the off-season....no Saints gear for me on the street...cept perhaps a cap when I'm out gardening in the sun...have to fly the flag cos the neighbour wears his Tiggers one!

THE BUBBLE HAS BURST

2011 player sponsor
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

OLB wrote:If you're going to wear a scarf you need to be wearing long sleeves imo.

A scarf is the only St Kilda related item of clothing I'll wear, if that. If you like to go out for a few drinks afterwards then wearing a guernsey means, unless you've got a jacket to cover it up, there's a chance you're going to end up at that seedy backpackers joint on the corner of Flinders Lane and Elizabeth, or much worse, Hosies. :D

*fashion consultant to the stars*
Whats wrong with Hosies?......had our wedding reception there awesome joint....classy...

Besides...what better way to take your mind off a shellacking than ordering a cold one off a nice rack? :wink:

“Yeah….nah””
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Re: Age limits for men wearing onfield gear?

Joffa Burns wrote:

For those who think middle aged men in footy jumpers is acceptable..your Honour exhibit one Joffa Corfe of the Collingwood Cheer Squad
Only trouble with that example.....is that anything he would wear would still look crap.....

Gold used to bea valuable commodity till Corfe started to wear it :wink:

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

how bout if your on a footy trip/sports tour, i think u can get away with it, or won't care, as your pissed all the time

All posters are equal, but some posters are more equal than others.
Scoop
Club Player

The rules are:

From 20 to 70 - no football jumper, socks and definitely no shorts (up to 10 on that one). Scarf acceptable (although not the one with the red, white & black panels), cap maybe (especially for the follically challenged), beanie up to late twenties.

Over 70 - the regression to childhood commences and the aforementioned clothing can start to be worn again, except the shorts! :shock: The matching tracksuit is particularly favoured by this age group.

I must say that I am looking forward to this phase of my life - only 15 years to go!

Extra! Extra! Read all about it......no I don't want to read about it anymore!!!
Beej
Saintsational Legend

Teflon wrote:
OLB wrote:If you're going to wear a scarf you need to be wearing long sleeves imo.

A scarf is the only St Kilda related item of clothing I'll wear, if that. If you like to go out for a few drinks afterwards then wearing a guernsey means, unless you've got a jacket to cover it up, there's a chance you're going to end up at that seedy backpackers joint on the corner of Flinders Lane and Elizabeth, or much worse, Hosies. :D

Whats wrong with Hosies?......had our wedding reception there awesome joint....classy...

Besides...what better way to take your mind off a shellacking than ordering a cold one off a nice rack? :wink:
Point taken, but what if that nice rack so happens to have no teeth and is bringing a jug of money around whilst popping wheelies at the same time? Which has been known to happen. :D

I remember the first time I was at that place. Old workmate of mine Ryan wanted to have a few drinks after work so he decided to drag me there because it was nearby. I put some money in the money jug like I was supposed to but the lady must not have seen... apparently you tend to miss these things when you have a patch over your eye.

Anyway, she caused a fuss and I had three bikies staring me down for the rest of the night. I was literally sitting there planning different escape routes I was that scared. I was contemplating making a dash for an exit but my feet weren't having any of it. :cry:

Kiedis
Club Player

ey, there's nothing wrong with Hosies! Went there a few weeks back for a mates 18th, classy little place that :D

GrumpyOne

If anyone wants a reason why old guys shouldn't wear club jumpers, take a look at Billy Brownless next time he dons the Geelong jumper.

Strongly resembles a striped barrage balloon. :shock:

stinger
Saintsational Legend

jill wrote::D Oh Dear, this thread brought back SO many memories!!! The fleecy navy blue jacket that Mum bought me at 8-had zipper down front before tacksuits were in!! - spent hours sewing St.Kilda badge on front & cutting up perfectly good white sheet so I could sew 43 on the back [Leo Garlick for the ignorant]. At 10 Mum relented & bought me a mostly black jumper with a red & white ski-type pattern across the front-I was in footy mag pop at time!ALWAYS HAD SCARF & BEANIE & DUFFLE COAT!!!!later.
Have never worn THE JUMPER to the footy as much as I'd have loved to. As a nearly 60 year old woman who wears St. K windcheater & spray jacket with pride (plus beanie) MY ADVICE IS - GO WITH YOUR HEART!!!! :lol:

leo garlick.......now that's brought memories flooding back.....he used to ask me after the game how did i think he had played....never had the heart to tell him he was crap..... :wink: :lol:

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
n1ck
Saintsational Legend

luke.l_26 wrote:Lets just say, there is one chapter about a young blonde lass whom he was getting intimate with.. anyways.. to help him "get int he mood" he made her put on his Saints guernsey.
I laughed till i cried.
I believe she goes by the name of lovin_dal_santo !!!

hi polly *waves*

fonz_#15
SS Life Member

interesting topic..
to games i wear my guernsey and i'm 19. I generally go out after games so i have on what i want to wear out and have the saints jmper over the top. i for 1 couldnt give a rats arse what people wear to games, but will admit that a grown man with a gurnsey and a number, lagging around 3 kids seems a little pathetic. My dad was always just a scarf wearer.

I wear my saints polo a lot during the week, as i really like it, and i like to show my support.

oh and BTW OLB the only problem with a person wearing a soccer top saying Beckham 23 is that it doesn't say Gerrard , i have 1 and wear it on the rare occassion :lol:

Robert Harvey- Simply the best
Beej
Saintsational Legend

fonz_#15 wrote:oh and BTW OLB the only problem with a person wearing a soccer top saying Beckham 23 is that it doesn't say Gerrard , i have 1 and wear it on the rare occassion :lol:
You're 18 or 19, Fonz? You're fine mate, enjoy the name and number wearing while you still can. As soon as you turn 20 though you need to start looking at the bigger picture. :lol: :wink:

Junior supporters

Fanboys

cowboy18
Saintsational Legend

fonz_#15 wrote: oh and BTW OLB the only problem with a person wearing a soccer top saying Beckham 23 is that it doesn't say Gerrard , i have 1 and wear it on the rare occassion :lol:

Soccer shirts are an interesting one. They seem to persist on older gents way into their 40s. Although a big fan of polyester I think they look rather turgid.

The inherent homoeroticism of soccer crowds, particularly in Europe probably obfuscates the notion that sports fashion has to be age-mediated. Barriers seem to be broken across nations and teams quite easily. You don't need to be Freud or Jung to work out what the lads in the picture below are really gesturing for.

Do you? :wink:

Not that there's anything wrong with it.

*BaLLy iS BeST*
Club Player

oh no :( i turn 20 in 2 weeks...does that mean no more guernsey for me?

im a girl n usually just wear jeans and a hoodie or similar to games with my guernsey over the top...i dont see whats wrong with that?

for what its worth...i have never looked at an older person wearing a saints jumper and thought 'oh my god...u are too old to wear that' lol who cares...just supporting your team.

although...the ones that wear their jumper with nothing underneath...that can sometimes be quite disturbing haha :lol: :shock:

i will miss you bally. but i guess you just didn't want to be here.

heres hoping you are regretting that choice on that last day in september 2010 - go saints.
BAM! (shhhh)
SS Hall of Fame

Of more concern that wearing your Saints gear anywhere would be asking a sports internet forum for fashion advice!:) (note: to the gentle reader of this post, I of course don't mean you. You are the coolest. Just like me. That's why we use the internet! 8-) )

2 answers from me:

1) If you're wearing it to the footy. That's fine. Anything goes at the footy. Need proof? Next time you're at the footy, look around you. I can guarentee that there will be enough people looking ridiculous your self esteem is bound to skyrocket. However, before condescending, keep in mind it's entirely possible that at any other venue, the same fat smelly obnoxious collingwood supporter yelling obscenities at his 12 year old daughter in front of you is a quiet, well groomed successful businessman.

Sports brings out the animal.

2) If wearing elsewhere, do you feel comfortable doing it? If you do, go for it. It could mean one of several things:
a) It's hot baby!
b) you're too cool to care what people think and it's hot baby!
c) you're blissfully unaware of what hot means, why one would want to be hot, and that other people make snap judgements based on what people wear, and that's their problem anyway! Why would you want to impress them?
d) You believe you play for the team and must let everyone know.
e) You really do play for the team and are worried people won't recognise your awesome celebrity.

My only piece of merchandise for a long time was my scarf. Turns out my partner loves the merch, and now I'm a red white & black clotheshanger at games, as is she, and she's not even a Saints fan (though she is a member and I'm working on it). I only wear my merch to games, and enjoy the disconnect from the day-to-day it provides.

This means nothing. My advice? Ask your daughters, and then do the opposite of what they advise! :twisted:

"Everything comes to he who hustles while he waits"
- Henry Ford