Archie Says Gardi is fit/ New Physio and Team Doctor!!!...

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

barks4eva wrote:
saintsRrising wrote:also chatted on Matthew Drain,

said Sheedy wasa big wrap for him.

Has broad experience from cricket to Football.

Archie said they aggressively went after him.
There must be some questions about Matthew Drain, because super coach Thomas was totally opposed to us appointing him previously :roll:

back on topic

what was that again?
Who's this 'Thomas' you speak of?

barks4eva
Saintsational Legend

rodgerfox wrote:Who's this 'Thomas' you speak of?
The one who was previously opposed to having Drain appointed, after the board had chased him previously, which eventually meant that Drain was not appointed

Given super coach Thomas's strong opposition to Drain's possible appointment previously, should we be concerned now?

DO THE MATHS AND THE SQUARES ARE ALL ROOTED.
RBnW
Club Player

barks4eva wrote:
saintsRrising wrote:also chatted on Matthew Drain,

said Sheedy wasa big wrap for him.

Has broad experience from cricket to Football.

Archie said they aggressively went after him.
There must be some questions about Matthew Drain, because super coach Thomas was totally opposed to us appointing him previously :roll:

back on topic

what was that again?
Drain had the job offered by Waldron and GT spat it, it was the start of the GT & RB fallout I remember the articles at the time, only question is when will he get his second premiership, my mail is he is a good operator and the Dogs were not happy to loose him, on top of the others we have added to the football area he is a good get for us, if GT didnt want him he is most probabaly a good operator that would have challenged GT....we know he didnt like that....this looks to be a great addition for us

Our best is yet
to come......
rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

barks4eva wrote:
The one who was previously opposed to having Drain appointed, after the board had chased him previously, which eventually meant that Drain was not appointed

Given super coach Thomas's strong opposition to Drain's possible appointment previously, should we be concerned now?
You should be concerned about lots of things - this being the least of them.

As for Drain not being appointed because Thomas didn't want him there, I'd say that explains in a sentence why that Board is no longer at the club.

rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

RBnW wrote:it was the start of the GT & RB fallout
No it wasn't.

It wasn't at all.

riccardo
Saintsational Legend

barks4eva wrote:

The only reason Thomas was opposed to Drain was he wanted to be Football manager, if I understand it correctly.

Thomas was opposed to anyone other than him being in control, apparently it is part of the reason he was sacked.

saintly
Saintsational Legend

riccardo wrote:
barks4eva wrote:

The only reason Thomas was opposed to Drain was he wanted to be Football manager, if I understand it correctly.

Thomas was opposed to anyone other than him being in control, apparently it is part of the reason he was sacked.
yep quite right riccardo. it was stated at the time about trying to get Drain, and GT's opposition

barks4eva
Saintsational Legend

barks4eva wrote: Given super coach Thomas's strong opposition to Drain's possible appointment previously, should we be concerned now?
rodgerfox wrote: You should be concerned about lots of things - this being the least of them.
Very good point and I agree wholeheartedly :wink:

As for Drain not being appointed because Thomas didn't want him there, I'd say that explains in a sentence why that Board is no longer at the club.
Agree again :wink:

and also explains why Thomas himself is not there either and why that is a very, very good thing

Off field things are now finally taking shape

If only we'd have had a professionally run football department like we have now, five years ago, we might have won a premiership by now

DO THE MATHS AND THE SQUARES ARE ALL ROOTED.
RBnW
Club Player

rodgerfox wrote:
No it wasn't.

It wasn't at all.
Here is the article....
Yes it was :oops:
August 2005

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Top Saints mates no longer
Stephen Riellly

The friction of their professional roles has brought Grant Thomas and Rod Butterss undone as friends.

THE close friendship between Rod Butterss and Grant Thomas that has been at the heart of St Kilda's renaissance has crumbled, with the president and coach keeping only what both describe as an "acceptable working relationship".

The pair, Brighton neighbours, confidants and one-time golfing partners, who were brought together as directors in 1999 before assuming control of the club the following year, have fallen out over a series of decisions taken in the off-season, the second such summer of discontent.

Butterss said yesterday that the "realities of football life" had strained their friendship.

"There's no doubt that the relationship Thommo and I have is not what it used to be," the president explained. "What it used to be was 'bosom buddies'. We'd meet for coffee daily and talk on the telephone for an hour. We were the closest of mates.

"But in the pressure-packed environment of footy, when two mates end up as senior coach and the other as president of the one club, there are going to be times when your opinion differs; there are going to be times when there is an element of strain.

"I'm philosophical about my relationship with Thommo. My responsibility is club-wide - it's to the institution that is St Kilda, not just the team but the business, the members, the people who work for us, what we stand for as a club. I take that responsibility very seriously."

The fragmentation of what was the most influential relationship within the club - a freeze of sorts that is understood to exist between at least two other directors and the coach - began in the off-season as negotiations over a string of decisions gained an edge.

Thomas negotiated a new three-year contract, opted to take the team to South Africa for a training camp in November at a cost of $250,000 and appointed former Fremantle fitness coach Adam Larcom - a hiring not fully endorsed by the board first.

The manner in which Thomas and the football department handled the controversy that engulfed full-forward Fraser Gehrig in late October, after he drunkenly urinated on a woman in a hotel, is believed to have sat uncomfortably with some on the board, although Butterss denied that this was the case last night.

These events followed a dispute the previous summer over the appointment of a football manager who, ultimately, was never appointed. The administration had decided to hire former Essendon football manager Matthew Drain but changed its plans in the face of opposition from Thomas and instead added responsibilities to assistant coach Matt Rendell.

Thomas was tight-lipped yesterday but said the state of his relationship with Butterss was a private matter.

"It's a personal issue and personal issues should remain personal. We have a working relationship and that's all that the St Kilda football club requires," said the coach, who disputed that their falling-out was a clash of wills.

"We don't clash or hit head-on or butt heads because we don't really discuss anything. I report to the chief executive and the chief executive reports to the board. I'm happy with that."

Butterss admitted that the off-season had involved confrontation.

"He (Thomas) might want to go to South Africa, and I'm thinking, 'Hang on, that's going to cost us $250,000 and we've still got debts of $2 million.' That, for instance, was a contentious issue we struggled with," Butterss conceded.

"Thommo is firmly of the view that Raphael Clarke and Nick Dal Santo and players like that benefited enormously from visiting Soweto and seeing the poverty and witnessing life as we don't know it here. As he would describe it, the whole international travelling thing was a priceless opportunity for growth.

"But the poor old administrator has a juggling act. We want to do as much as we can for our footy department, but on the other hand we want to try to be prudent and build a club that will be strong in every way. There was a difference of opinion on that issue, among others, and it was vigorous. I'm not going to deny that."

Butterss and Thomas spent time together in a club sponsor's marquee during the Melbourne grand prix and according to Butterss the mood was "comfortable". He was adamant that the problems between them would not be allowed to seep into the workings of the club and said new chief executive and director Jim Watts had a strong relationship with the coach.

"We sat and talked footy. I would still say we've got a rapport. We're not throwing darts at one another, put it that way," Butterss said.

"I think that when I'm no longer president and Thommo is no longer coach, whenever that might be, we'll be playing golf together again and having the family dinners.

"I strongly challenge the suggestion that what has occurred between us is in any way endangering or harming the workings of the club. Neither of us would allow that to occur."

A FRIENDSHIP STRAINED
THAT WAS THEN
Thomas on Butterss last year:
"We became very close very quickly. We liked each other's company and we started spending most of our time together. We'd catch up at lunchtimes, find time for a coffee in our days and often get together at nights as well. We'd see each other every day, always discussing St Kilda."

. . . THIS IS NOW
Butterss on Thomas this week:
"There's no doubt that the relationship 'Thommo' and I have is not what it used to be. What it used to be was 'bosom buddies' . . . There was a difference of opinion on that (South Africa) issue, among others, and it was vigorous."

Thomas on Butterss this week:
"We don't clash or hit head-on or butt heads because we don't really discuss anything.

Publish date: Tuesday, March 17, 2005

Our best is yet
to come......
spert
Saintsational Legend

Anyway, lets hope we get some quality game time out of Gardi and also I'm still waiting for the new sponsors that Westaway had lined up, the sponsors who wouldn't come near the old board..we're waiting.

Saints Premiers 2008
Saintsational Legend

it happened two years ago...

that is all

"It's a work in progress," Lyon said.
rexy
SS Life Member

Wouldnt have thought Gardiner had a bed time off season, would have thought he could stay up all night if he wanted too.

When I am on annual leave sometimes I have a beer at 10 in the morning :shock: hope work dont find out.

Fair dinkum Rog, are you a reporter for Who magazine?

Maybe this year?
super dooper
Club Player

Re: Archie Says Gardi is fit/ New Physio and Team Doctor!!!.

saintsRrising wrote:Archie Fraser just said on SEN that Gardiner was shaping up well and that the medical reports are good.

Expects him to play from start of the season.

Great News!!!
ill believe it when i see it with my eyes, we've been told too many lies re injuries over the past few seasons, hopefully NAB cup rd 1 he is there, that to me says he would be fit, after all he hasnt played for nearly 2 years, so he would need all the practise games he can get

midas_touch
Club Player

Gardi being right now will mean nothing if he has broken down again during the pre season. Hope he will stay right, but u cant deny question marks still hang over him.

Trust the Midas Touch

"My heart is at St.Kilda, I've been here seven years, I only wanted to play for them." (Fraser Gehrig, 27/11/2007)
satchmo
Saintsational Legend

rexy wrote:Wouldnt have thought Gardiner had a bed time off season, would have thought he could stay up all night if he wanted too.

When I am on annual leave sometimes I have a beer at 10 in the morning
There are several good breakfast beers on the market. I recommend a Carlsburg Elephant.

*Allegedly.

Bring back Lucky Burgers, and nobody gets hurt.

You can't un-fry things.

Last Post
Lynch Beast
Club Player

Michael S. Gardiner

18 games in the past 4 seasons

I wouldn't get your hopes up saints fans, I would love to see him get through a full year but so many times he failed to do it.

vacuous space
SS Life Member

Even if he does play, he's had a long layoff and is coming back from multiple foot surgeries on the back of multiple knee surgeries. He's unlikely to be anywhere near the dominant force he used to be.

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

spert wrote:Anyway, lets hope we get some quality game time out of Gardi and also I'm still waiting for the new sponsors that Westaway had lined up, the sponsors who wouldn't come near the old board..we're waiting.
well what sort of crap would we be in if RB was still uncontrolling our club?

My guess we'd down to about zero admin staff.

nicola69
Club Player

satchmo wrote:
rexy wrote:Wouldnt have thought Gardiner had a bed time off season, would have thought he could stay up all night if he wanted too.

There are several good breakfast beers on the market. I recommend a Carlsburg Elephant.
...or Haywards 5000 (7%+). Excellent with bacon and eggs. I have a beer first thing in the morning everyday I'm not working.

Just hope Gardi doesn't!!!

satchmo
Saintsational Legend

nicola69 wrote:
satchmo wrote:

...or Haywards 5000 (7%+). Excellent with bacon and eggs. I have a beer first thing in the morning everyday I'm not working.

Just hope Gardi doesn't!!!
Is that you Mummy ??? :shock:

*Allegedly.

Bring back Lucky Burgers, and nobody gets hurt.

You can't un-fry things.

Last Post
Saints Premiers 2008
Saintsational Legend

vacuous space wrote:Even if he does play, he's had a long layoff and is coming back from multiple foot surgeries on the back of multiple knee surgeries. He's unlikely to be anywhere near the dominant force he used to be.
i dont expect him to be however he should be good foil for steven king

i have always been admirer of his arrogance on the field...bring it to the saints...yes please!!

"It's a work in progress," Lyon said.
st.byron
Saintsational Legend

Lynch Beast wrote:Michael S. Gardiner

I wouldn't get your hopes up saints fans, I would love to see him get through a full year but so many times he failed to do it.
Exactly. Being "fit" in October means nothing. Five months until fitness counts.

bungiton
SS Life Member

Lynch Beast wrote:Michael S. Gardiner

Ben Cousins NO games for the next fifty years, so farking what???

I'm sorry, you've gone through all the trouble to find out what this actually says and it really is quite insignificant.
Saints43
Club Player

barks4eva wrote:If only we'd have had a professionally run football department like we have now, five years ago, we might have won a premiership by now
We couldn't have afforded it five years ago.

rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

RBnW wrote:
rodgerfox wrote:
No it wasn't.

It wasn't at all.
Here is the article....
Yes it was :oops:
August 2005
Oh Ok, it was in the paper - so it must be true.

Sigh.