St Kilda thought about chasing Cousins during trade week?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

n1ck wrote:PSD wasnt an option saintspremiers.
So what draft pick?

Come on, fess up - it's all history and can't happen now.....don't give us half stories.

n1ck
Saintsational Legend

From a very reliable source, he told me:

Ricky Nixon (Cousin's manager) spoke to a Melbourne club, which may well have been the club he played most games for.

No approach was made to the Eagles, but talks were had between Nixon and the club possibly on the Thursday and maybe even the Friday morning of trade week.

I cant say any more than that, but its pretty much what has been stated in that article.

n1ck
Saintsational Legend

saintspremiers wrote:
So what draft pick?

Come on, fess up - it's all history and can't happen now.....don't give us half stories.
I wasnt given those details.. but considering #26 was already a done deal when I heard id imagine pick 9 would have been the one being thought of.

Again - that is my own speculation as I wasnt told of those details you asked for.

Like I said before, from what I know, no approach was formally made to WCE so there was no actual offer made.

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

n1ck wrote:
saintspremiers wrote:
So what draft pick?

I wasnt given those details.. but considering #26 was already a done deal when I heard id imagine pick 9 would have been the one being thought of.

Again - that is my own speculation as I wasnt told of those details you asked for.

Like I said before, from what I know, no approach was formally made to WCE so there was no actual offer made.
cheers thanks for that......I was worried you mention pick 9, as that's what I was thinking.....would've been very risky.....

Dan Warna
Saintsational Legend

I wonder if nixon already knew that cousins was toast and was trying to secure him a contract for 08.

Bewaire krime, da krimson bolt is comeing to yure nayborhood to smach krime

SHUT UP KRIME!
stinger
Saintsational Legend

Dan Warna wrote:I wonder if nixon already knew that cousins was toast and was trying to secure him a contract for 08.
today's age....

"Clubs reject disgraced star

Martin Boulton and Len Johnson | October 18, 2007

AFL clubs have shown little interest in reviving the football career of fallen Eagle Ben Cousins.

Even if Cousins remains eligible to play AFL football next year, there seems little likelihood of another club taking the risk of drafting either him or his delisted 2006 premiership teammate Daniel Chick.

Adelaide ruled out interest in either player. "No, and no," Crows football manager John Reid replied when asked if the club might pursue either fallen Eagle, or both.

The Western Bulldogs also have "no interest", according to coach Rodney Eade, although he said that the matter had not been discussed at club level.

New Essendon coach Matthew Knights ruled out any interest in Cousins or Chick. "We wouldn't go down that track," Knights said. "We're going to mould a group and bring them through together, and where we're heading with a youth scenario, Ben Cousins and even Daniel Chick wouldn't fit into that."

Richmond is not interested, according to football director Greg Miller, although he had not spoken to coach Terry Wallace to reach a formal position. Wallace is on leave.

Making no comment, but believed not to be interested, were the Kangaroos, St Kilda, Sydney and Hawthorn. Collingwood and Melbourne had no comment.

The Brisbane Lions, Port Adelaide, Carlton, Fremantle and Geelong could not be reached."

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
Sun Ra
Club Player

Imagine if we HAD actually given up pick 9 for him and he asked for a couple of weeks to get his "affairs" in order before coming over and the what happened, happened ???
Another funny Ben thought would be if he did get drafted by a Melbourne club - Tigers maybe, and he lobbed up at the new Judd residence and Rebecca and Chris answered the door to see Ben, suitcases in hand asking if he can crash there for a few weeks until he finds some new digs in Melb. "I won't be any trouble".......
Worse is he lobs on Gardiner: "Hey man, LET'S PARTYYYYY !!!!!"

Brian Collis
Club Player

Matthew Knights really likes mould. I wonder if the Dons will be on the nose next year. Can't think of a more weird coaching appointment. The guy is already full of cliches

Riewoldting
SS Life Member

Brian Collis wrote:Matthew Knights really likes mould. I wonder if the Dons will be on the nose next year. Can't think of a more weird coaching appointment. The guy is already full of cliches
I can already see the headline if the Dons get a run on in Rds 19-22:

"Hot August Knights"

Ahh, newspapers. So predictable. :roll:

"To be or not to be" - William Shakespeare
"To be is to do" - Immanuel Kant
"Do be do be do" - Frank Sinatra
evertonfc
Saintsational Legend

11 points down against Geelong in the 2008 Preliminary Final with four minutes to play...

Who would you back to save us - Cousins or Birss?

Get in there Rossy 8-)

Clueless and mediocre petty tyrant.

Animal Enclosure
SS Hall of Fame

An old Allan Jeans saying comes to mind...

"there's not too many choir boys that have won premierships".

I'd pay out McQualter's contract & pick up Cousins with our last pick in the national draft (the pick we would have started passing on).

Worse case scenario he messes up & he's out on his arse. McQualter will be this time next year anyway.

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

Animal Enclosure wrote:An old Allan Jeans saying comes to mind...

"there's not too many choir boys that have won premierships".
Shame then that GT obviously had little respect for the opinions/thoughts of our Premiership Coach eh??? :evil:

Under GT it was most important that they were all choir boys than good footballers!!!

Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

The only one 'chasing' during Trade Week was Ben, me thinks. :wink:

TimeToShineFellas
SS Hall of Fame

Here's a hypothetical.....

During trade week, St Kilda is offered Ben Cousins by West Coast.

The only catch being we had to give up our 2nd Round Pick plus up-and-comer Sam Gilbert and Leigh Fisher.

St Kilda agrees and Ben Cousins becomes a Saint.

Ben Cousins is arrested for drug possession (we're talking the hard stuff) in Perth the day before he is due to pack for Melbourne. He is then given a custodial sentence of 1-2 years and can be out after 9 months for good behaviour.

How would we then feel about Cousins?

Anyone have any thoughts on the above hypothetical?

hAyES
Club Player

I'd take him and I wouldn't think twice about it. The guy is an absolute gun and I'm sick of waiting for next year to win a flag. Get him to the Saints!

hAyES
Club Player

evertonfc wrote:11 points down against Geelong in the 2008 Preliminary Final with four minutes to play...

Who would you back to save us - Cousins or Birss?

Get in there Rossy 8-)
:lol:

evertonfc
Saintsational Legend

hAyES wrote:I'd take him and I wouldn't think twice about it. The guy is an absolute gun and I'm sick of waiting for next year to win a flag. Get him to the Saints!
Damn straight.

Because when it's all said and done, Clinton Jones will probably be delisted next year when the coaching staff realises his true worth and so will McQualter (probably, I said).

Cousins, however, is a player - like Schneider - who I believe puts us one step closer to a flag.

I'm not interested in crap players anymore. Either you're on our list as a developing youngster, knocking down the door to get in the first 22, or you're entrenched in the team.

Nobody won flags by accomodating crap.

And besides, if our team is so weak that one player would be able to corrupt or infect us, then quite frankly, we don't deserve to win a flag, and more than that, 9th is all we should hope for.

If he f***ed up with us, cut him. So what? But I'm not sure he would.

If he gave us three years of elite midfield football and then decided he wanted to spend his days surfing, I'd be all over that.

He's not the answer or the messiah - he simply adds something that we badly need, and helps us tick the boxes that a premiership team needs.

One last thing. Like him or loathe him, he's a born winner. He hates losing. It makes him arrogant at times, of course it does. It probably has even led him to make a few bad calls. But in a new club, you have to prove yourself to your new teammates, and earn their respect by putting in the hard yards.

Got a feeling I can't get rid of that he will just be aching to prove himself at his new club, and that if he gets out there, he'll be sensational.

Winners hate losing. They can't stand it. Cousins hates losing.

I want him to help bring Banger a flag.

Clueless and mediocre petty tyrant.

saint patrick
Saintsational Legend

Re your hypothetical Mark...Would not give up Gilbert... this kid will be a star in his own right...if and its a bloody big if we were to look at Cousins pick nine might still be too much...a huge risk.Prefer to not go down the path to be honest...but if he got his act together and the price was reasonable the club would have to looik at it...he is a gun but has more serious hurdles to overcome meantime...more important ones than even footy...hope he gets a second chance at life...then footy becomes an option :roll:

Never take a backward step even to gain momentum.....

'It's OK to have the capabilities and abilities, but you've got to get it done." Terry Daniher 05

"We have beauty in our captain and we have a true leader in our coach. Our time will come"
Thinline.Post 09 Grand final.
Dan Warna
Saintsational Legend

wouldn't touch cousins.

would hate him at our club.

before you bring up gardiner, he is now a saint and yes I did think seriously about whether I would buy my membership in 07.

the reality is he will be gone and st kilda will go one eventually the club is always bigger than the individual.

IMO cousins is 10 times worse than gardiner and spider for that matter.

the HUN and the ABC categorically stated he has an ice addiction, not a party user, or social smoker but a categorical statement that he has an ice addiction and has had one for some months.

no I wouldn't want that person at our club.

what a waste of OUR picks and whatever we traded.

IMO birss>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>cousins atm.

some poor victim of assault from a ice addict >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>cousins.

Bewaire krime, da krimson bolt is comeing to yure nayborhood to smach krime

SHUT UP KRIME!
St DAC
SS Hall of Fame

It's a moot point anyway. As his contract was terminated I believe he is effectively deregistered, requiring him to nominate for the National Draft which would need AFL approval. I seriously doubt they'd give Cousins that approval. He can't enter the PSD at all as he is no longer a club listed player.

IMO he's done and dusted as an AFL player.

Animal Enclosure
SS Hall of Fame

If the other charge gets dropped or he is found not guilty the AFL will not have a valid, legal reason to decline his application to enter the draft.

The only problem with that is that the court proceeding has been adjourned for 90 days & both drafts will be over by then.

So the questions are...

Will Cousins nominate for the draft & let it be known that he will sue the AFL if his request is denied?

Will the AFL show the aggots to ban him from the draft?

My money is on him nominating, the AFL making a song & dance about it but then allowing the nomination 'as they have no choice legally' & a Melbourne based club picking him.

It's a hell of a risk for a club that does pick him but it also has a potentially huge payoff.

Riewoldting
SS Life Member

Animal Enclosure wrote:Will Cousins nominate for the draft & let it be known that he will sue the AFL if his request is denied?
On what grounds?

"To be or not to be" - William Shakespeare
"To be is to do" - Immanuel Kant
"Do be do be do" - Frank Sinatra
Richter
SS Life Member

Riewoldting wrote:
Animal Enclosure wrote:Will Cousins nominate for the draft & let it be known that he will sue the AFL if his request is denied?
On what grounds?
Restriction of trade?

Hird... The unflushable one is now... just a turd...
Iceman234
Saintsational Legend

Would not want that miserable arrogant piece of cr@p anywhere near any brand that I associate with quality = Saints.

With the chances that arrogant little turd has had, I hope he rots where he sits next.

Mentor???? :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: FFS yeah mentor Benny......

Such is Life.

A/Hole = not a required person at OUR club.

St Fidelius
Saintsational Legend

Iceman234 wrote:Would not want that miserable arrogant piece of cr@p anywhere near any brand that I associate with quality = Saints.

With the chances that arrogant little turd has had, I hope he rots where he sits next.

Mentor???? :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: FFS yeah mentor Benny......

Such is Life.

A/Hole = not a required person at OUR club.
I couldn't agree anymore....

good post

Don't wait for the light at the end of the tunnel to appear, run down there and light the bloody thing yourself!