Query...

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

True Blue Sainter
Club Player

Query...

So Jared Brennan is out of contract, and at this stage appears unlikely to agree terms with the Lions...

Can he nominate for the National Draft or is there some ruling which means is he only eligible for the pre-season draft?

I can recall numerous players picked up from other AFL clubs in the Natinoal Draft and I'm wondering why all the talk about Brennan revolves around the pre-season draft?!

The Saints are coming!
dcstkfc
Saintsational Legend

I may be wrong but I think you have to be delisted before the trade period to be eligible for the national draft.

STRENGTH THROUGH LOYALTY.

‎''I still get really excited, and I've got the '66 thing up on the wall in a frame … You look at it and think: one day, we want to achieve that.''- Arryn Siposs
Saints Premiers 2008
Saintsational Legend

i dont want him

any player that walks out on his club when they invested so much time and especially patience in this case is just a money hungry s.o.b

"It's a work in progress," Lyon said.
Bono
Club Player

just like Judd?

Riewoldting
SS Life Member

Saints Premiers 2006 wrote:i dont want him

any player that walks out on his club when they invested so much time and especially patience in this case is just a money hungry s.o.b
So a player should just let a club walk all over the top of him, and dictate terms which he feels do not reflect his value? Is that it?

At least Brennan has the honesty to indicate he is seeking to be better paid. Gutless Judd tried to pass his greed off as "family reasons" or "wanting to help rebuild a club". :roll:

"To be or not to be" - William Shakespeare
"To be is to do" - Immanuel Kant
"Do be do be do" - Frank Sinatra
Joffa Burns
Saintsational Legend

Re: Query...

True Blue Sainter wrote:So Jared Brennan is out of contract, and at this stage appears unlikely to agree terms with the Lions...

Can he nominate for the National Draft or is there some ruling which means is he only eligible for the pre-season draft?

I can recall numerous players picked up from other AFL clubs in the Natinoal Draft and I'm wondering why all the talk about Brennan revolves around the pre-season draft?!
The player makes the choice where they list.

Those delisted and unsure enter the National Draft hoping for a new home and if missed have another go in thre PSD.

Those who have done a deal with a club and have a ready contract enter the PSD where it can be easier to reach the club of your choice.

All about money and where you want to go IMO.

Proudly assuming the title of forum Oracle and serving as the inaugural Saintsational ‘weak as piss brigade’ President.
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Re: Query...

Joffa Burns wrote:
True Blue Sainter wrote:So Jared Brennan is out of contract, and at this stage appears unlikely to agree terms with the Lions...

The player makes the choice where they list.

Those delisted and unsure enter the National Draft hoping for a new home and if missed have another go in thre PSD.

Those who have done a deal with a club and have a ready contract enter the PSD where it can be easier to reach the club of your choice.

All about money and where you want to go IMO.

I thought that if you were not delisted but didnt sign a contract you go in the PSD like Nick Stevens did.

ausfatcat
Saintsational Legend

Depends when your contract runs out.

Some contracts run out just after the draft, others before.

Ok so if a player is out of contract before draft he can nomiate for either (or both). If he goes in the national draft he gets a automatic 2 year contract and the base contract.

If he enters the pre-season he can put the price on his head and the length of contract.

Therefore if Brennan is leaving the Lions because of money he wont go into the national draft as it reduces his earning capacity but will nominate for the pre-season with the amount he wants to get paid. As a club picking him up in the pre-season has to pay him that (or not pick him up).

Make sense?

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

ausfatcat wrote:Depends when your contract runs out.

Ok so if a player is out of contract before draft he can nomiate for either (or both). If he goes in the national draft he gets a automatic 2 year contract and the base contract.

If he enters the pre-season he can put the price on his head and the length of contract.

Therefore if Brennan is leaving the Lions because of money he wont go into the national draft as it reduces his earning capacity but will nominate for the pre-season with the amount he wants to get paid. As a club picking him up in the pre-season has to pay him that (or not pick him up).

Make sense?
I think all contract run out on the same day know. It is when you are delisted or refuse a contract that decides what draft you are in.

saintly
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
ausfatcat wrote:Depends when your contract runs out.

Make sense?
I think all contract run out on the same day know. It is when you are delisted or refuse a contract that decides what draft you are in.
thats correct plugger

battye
Saintsational Legend

Would love to get him at St Kilda. Star player IMO.

Feature article: KFC's "Double Down" burger!

TV Ratings: Hey Hey It's Saturday ratings overview

Do you know what C# is? .NET? Then you need to know this: XSD
Batnoe

it is like anything

Would you stay at a job say for 100k, when you know you could earn 150k?
I dont think you would, i would walk out of any place if i know i could get more money down the road for doing the same thing. who wouldnt? does that mean i am a money hungry moran, yep i guess i am!!

Just because they're in a position to do that is good for them, they are making the terms on what people have to pay to have them

Beej
Saintsational Legend

battye wrote:Would love to get him at St Kilda. Star player IMO.
He's a freak. Could really be anything if he wanted it bad enough.

Probably destined to be one of those players with limitless potential yet could never realise it. You just think that if Leigh Matthews can't get the best out of him then what chance any other coach.

His game against Collingwood at the MCG where he kicked 6 or 7 was the type of performance he could turn out on a regular basis. He was playing footy from another planet that night.