Gone / delisted - Brooks, Watts, McQualter, Sheldon.

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

stinger
Saintsational Legend

Dan Warna wrote:suprising CJ and rix still here next year ><

we need someone to delist next year.......only reason you would have them on the list.... :wink: :lol:

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
stinger
Saintsational Legend

Oh When the Saints wrote:Why is Kosi likely to go down?

He hasn't had a soft tissue injury for 2 years (a bit of hamstring tightness during '07, but that was all)

Last year was all collision injuries.

McQualter is stiff IMO .... first round pick as a midfielder and he only gets 2 years. I reckon he might be rookied again, either by the Saints or another club.

Adelaide delisted the guy they picked with #17, which we traded for Watts. So neither club wins out of that deal.

Someone will most certainly select Watts again ... either in the PSD or draft. In fact, I would put money on him returning to the Crows actually.

Brooks and Sheldon good move.

the three of them will get picked up......mcqualter as a possible rookie selection...brooks to the doggies and watts to adelaide as you say....sheldon.......i'm sure someone will offer him something suitable.....although not in football......

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

stinger wrote:
Oh When the Saints wrote:Why is Kosi likely to go down?

He hasn't had a soft tissue injury for 2 years (a bit of hamstring tightness during '07, but that was all)

Last year was all collision injuries.

McQualter is stiff IMO .... first round pick as a midfielder and he only gets 2 years. I reckon he might be rookied again, either by the Saints or another club.

Adelaide delisted the guy they picked with #17, which we traded for Watts. So neither club wins out of that deal.

Someone will most certainly select Watts again ... either in the PSD or draft. In fact, I would put money on him returning to the Crows actually.

Brooks and Sheldon good move.

the three of them will get picked up......mcqualter as a possible rookie selection...brooks to the doggies and watts to adelaide as you say....sheldon.......i'm sure someone will offer him something suitable.....although not in football......
If it happens none of them will be picked up except maybe Watts. Sheldon will stay at the saints.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

mad saint guy wrote:
Otiman wrote:Calling MSG to this thread. Your input would be interesting, I believe.

Most were saying that this year would be a big clearout, after Lyon got a chance to assess our list in full, but not THIS big. However, it's clear that Lyon's strategy involves filling depth holes with AFL footballers, and getting rid of players who have had 3+ years in the system and still not cracked the big time on a regular basis.
We've cleared out some of the deadwood in Thompson, Hamill, Voss, Clarke and Raymond, but we replaced it with more deadwood. Now we are delisting players who actualy have talent and the ability to make a difference so we can bring in more deadwood. Nothing we have done (apat from the Schneider trade) makes the team any better. We have acquired depth, but in the wrong positions. We already had too many
flankers (Dempster, Gardiner) and ordinary ruckmen (King) on the list, and now we've delisted some of our midfield depth (McQualter) and all of our key forward depth (Brooks, Watts).

We are left with a ridiculously long list of flankers and crap ruckmen, with no depth for key defenders, key forwards or midfielders. Personally I think this has been a terrible few days of list management.

And if we didnt get King your ruckman would be? You are right Brooks and Watts have been good depth but the only problem it was for Casey.

Riewoldting
SS Life Member

mad saint guy wrote:and now we've delisted some of our midfield depth (McQualter) and all of our key forward depth (Brooks, Watts).
What depth?

McQualter: 23 games in three seasons (average: 7.66)
Brooks: 10 games in five seasons (average: 2)
Watts: 1 game in two seasons (average: 0.5)

In 2006-07 we lost Ball, Hayes, Goddard, Hamill and Koschitzke to injury, and our ruck division was much maligned. We desperately needed to draw upon the depth of our list to cover them.

McQualter, Brooks and Watts weren't good enough to crack it when our A-listers went down. The very reason they are being delisted is because they DON'T add depth to the list.

So what is this "depth" you say we have delisted?

"To be or not to be" - William Shakespeare
"To be is to do" - Immanuel Kant
"Do be do be do" - Frank Sinatra
Spinner
Saintsational Legend

This is absolute rubbish from St Kilda....

Im starting to dislike the RL's conception of a good player.....

Players like Rix, Blake and CJ ahead of others that possess some amount of class.

Pathetic List management.

Who are our up and coming tall KP players now? Allen?

fonz_#15
SS Life Member

Spinner wrote:This is absolute rubbish from St Kilda....

Players like Rix, Blake and CJ ahead of others that possess some amount of class.

i think its a masterstroke..which of these hacks would get you a flag?

and please put your raging hardon for brooks aside when answering
:D

Robert Harvey- Simply the best
Spinner
Saintsational Legend

Is this a reflection of our ability to develop players through the VFL???

What player has developed and won his chance to play seniors....

Players like Gilbet werent playing fantastic football before getting a call up.

And players like Ball and Dal Santo pretty much played seniors from the start.

Saint Bev
SS Life Member

Geez, the way we are going there is going to be nothing to complain about! :wink:

Qld Saints Supporter Group
Saint Bev
SS Life Member

I think everyone is really hard on CJ. He was pretty exciting before he broke his collar bone. Since then everyone has been on his back. From memory it took Roo and Lenny a fair time to regain form from their broken collars bones, why doesn't CJ get that luxury? Let see how he goes next year.

Qld Saints Supporter Group
lefty
Club Player

We should have kept Watts

WTF are they doing?

The rest is fine, but not Watts... grrr sigh.

markinUSA
SS Life Member

Sheldon is definitely gone... it has been announced on SEN - see another thread.

"Don't give up, never give up" - Robert Harvey.
Behind Play
Club Player

Brooks will still do his preseason with us.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Behind Play wrote:Brooks will still do his preseason with us.
Why?

Behind Play
Club Player

He has been asked to.

Behind Play
Club Player

Sorry Plugger, unless he is picked up in the draft.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Behind Play wrote:He has been asked to.
Why though there is no point. The draft is 3 weeks after training starts what is the point of 3 weeks training.

mad saint guy
Saintsational Legend

Riewoldting wrote:McQualter: 23 games in three seasons (average: 7.66)

In 2006-07 we lost Ball, Hayes, Goddard, Hamill and Koschitzke to injury, and our ruck division was much maligned. We desperately needed to draw upon the depth of our list to cover them.

If you took Gehrig, Thompson, Voss and Clarke out of the equation then each of those players would have played a fair chunk of the season. They were set to be the replacements for our retired players. No young key forwar will get a game ahead of Riewoldt, Gehrig and Koschitzke. McQualter has disappointed in 2007, but up until then he was still a very good prospect. Trying to turn him into a tagger killed his game. Unfortunately that seems to be a trait Lyon has brought over from Sydney. The same thing has happened to numerous Sydney players like McVeigh and even Dempster.
Agree completely. Lyon must rate natural talent and skill very low don the list when assessing the value of a player. If you are fit and consistent (regardless of whether you are consistently great or terrible) you are a star in Lyon's books.

Behind Play
Club Player

plugger66 wrote:
Why though there is no point. The draft is 3 weeks after training starts what is the point of 3 weeks training.
I believe they are prepared to have another look at him and if he goes alright they may keep him.

ausfatcat
Saintsational Legend

Behind Play wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
I believe they are prepared to have another look at him and if he goes alright they may keep him.

In other words a big kick up the bum

Behind Play
Club Player

Exactly Aus. There are those prepared to give him a chance at FF however, that is not a cert. in actually eventuating.

st_Trav_ofWA
Saintsational Legend

mad saint guy wrote:
Riewoldting wrote:McQualter: 23 games in three seasons (average: 7.66)

If you took Gehrig, Thompson, Voss and Clarke out of the equation then each of those players would have played a fair chunk of the season. They were set to be the replacements for our retired players. No young key forwar will get a game ahead of Riewoldt, Gehrig and Koschitzke. McQualter has disappointed in 2007, but up until then he was still a very good prospect. Trying to turn him into a tagger killed his game. Unfortunately that seems to be a trait Lyon has brought over from Sydney. The same thing has happened to numerous Sydney players like McVeigh and even Dempster.
Agree completely. Lyon must rate natural talent and skill very low don the list when assessing the value of a player. If you are fit and consistent (regardless of whether you are consistently great or terrible) you are a star in Lyon's books.
CONSISTANCY WINS YOU GAMES
thats the point of having all the tallent in the world if you only show it playing for casey ??
well done st kilda making the hard choice and cutting the dead wood

suddenly our bottom six have become a lot better then this years bottom six

"The team that wins in the most positions and makes the least amount of mistakes, usually wins the game." -- Allan Jeans

http://westernsaints.wordpress.com/
saintly
Saintsational Legend

ausfatcat wrote:
Behind Play wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

i'd be happy with that.

i was dissapointed that both watts and brooks is gone.

as they were both tall players.

brooks has some talent. whehter he wishes to use it, only time will tell.
i have been told that watts is slow. if that is the case noone can change that. that maybe its good that he has gone. however he was injured fromuch of year and it is difficult to see how the footy department can make up their mades like that about a tall player. especially since tall players take longer to develop.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

saintly wrote:
ausfatcat wrote:
Behind Play wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

i'd be happy with that.

i have been told that watts is slow. if that is the case noone can change that. that maybe its good that he has gone. however he was injured fromuch of year and it is difficult to see how the footy department can make up their mades like that about a tall player. especially since tall players take longer to develop.
I would seriously doubt that Brooks will be asked to train with them. Matter of fact I would be pretty sure he wouldnt be training with them.

Behind Play
Club Player

plugger66 wrote:
saintly wrote:
ausfatcat wrote:
Behind Play wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

i'd be happy with that.

I would seriously doubt that Brooks will be asked to train with them. Matter of fact I would be pretty sure he wouldnt be training with them.
Wether he trains or not is totally up to him.........what has he got to lose.
I can assure you though he has been asked and he will be reevaluated.