S.E.Q Saints

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Saints Premiers 2008
Saintsational Legend

PLUGGER14 wrote:
Saints Premiers 2006 wrote:i am wondering who was who as i was there last evening

i was the 20 year old that obviously looked out of place amongst 40-60 somethings...

i was impressed however
Easy tiger. I don't fall into the 40-60 category :)

& just quietly my wife would shoot you if she read this site :wink:
i apologize...no harm intended...

well i was the young chap in the green and white shirt

it was a pleasure to listen about people who obviously bleed red, white and black and hopefully next time i look to engage in conversation with you all

"It's a work in progress," Lyon said.
PLUGGER14
Club Player

Saints Premiers 2006 wrote:
PLUGGER14 wrote:
Saints Premiers 2006 wrote:i am wondering who was who as i was there last evening

i was the 20 year old that obviously looked out of place amongst 40-60 somethings...

i was impressed however
Easy tiger. I don't fall into the 40-60 category :)

& just quietly my wife would shoot you if she read this site :wink:
i apologize...no harm intended...

well i was the young chap in the green and white shirt

it was a pleasure to listen about people who obviously bleed red, white and black and hopefully next time i look to engage in conversation with you all
no worries

Oh When the Saints
Saintsational Legend

Cheers saintwill and PLUGGER14 ... great repots.

Everyone who has spoken to Westaway so far says that he is extremely genuine. This is good. Seems the old fashioned straight-down-the-line type.

saintwill66 wrote: Although Greg did not go into specifics, I got the impression that one of the reasons the challenge to the Butterss Board gained such strong momentum was the dissatisfaction of sponsors, which would have been well known among the business leaders and coteries who move in these circles, but that's just my opinion, not something that Greg said as such!
Found this comment interesting. Something I had suspected, although I have no idea whether or not it is true.
saintwill66 wrote: 2. Players to a man have been very pleased with the change of the Board and have made this clear to him and other incoming directors. This confirms my personal thoughts when it was announced that Burke and Thompson would be on the new Board - their close association with the current players is bound to ensure that their views are given full consideration.
Good!
saintwill66 wrote: He was relatively lukewarm to my idea for the club to publish and distribute a quarterly newsletter as a means of communication with members, but invited me to submit a proposal to him, which I'll do. Brisbane Lions do this with great effect and I'm convinced it should be and can be done by St Kilda FC.
Something we desperately need IMO. I estimate that about 10% of the Saints fan base know about this forum/WOM.

For all the others who aren't internet users, they need a regular form of communication from the club.

As long as it is profitable, this sort of magazine is something that needs to be brought back. I am sure Russel Holmesby could produce it.

Cheers guys ... report much appreciated.

They should only play AFL games now when it's raining. Slow games of footy are so much better to watch.
n1ck
Saintsational Legend

Re: S.E.Q Saints

Saints Premiers 2006 wrote:just interested as saintsational was mentioned for a little while...

what really surprised me was that westaway knew about the forum and seemingly well...and he knew about certain posters identities...
what did he say exactly? :):)

Saints Premiers 2008
Saintsational Legend

Re: S.E.Q Saints

n1ck wrote:
Saints Premiers 2006 wrote:just interested as saintsational was mentioned for a little while...

what really surprised me was that westaway knew about the forum and seemingly well...and he knew about certain posters identities...
what did he say exactly? :):)
pm me

im sure you know though

Saints Premiers 2008
Saintsational Legend

i too was very surprised at how the previous regime seemingly treated the former sponsors with contempt...

and furthermore one is pursuing legal action too

all in all i found him very re-freshing and down to earth

i am happy with him in charge

Davo027
Club Player

Saints Premiers 2006 wrote
Yes due in court 15th of this month :(

For more info www.saints.com.au

The above views are those of the author and not necessarily those of the clubs or the AFL.
n1ck
Saintsational Legend

Saints Premiers 2006 wrote:i too was very surprised at how the previous regime seemingly treated the former sponsors with contempt...

all in all i found him very re-freshing and down to earth

i am happy with him in charge
Yes, good to see he is and has been consistent with his answers.

I know that HD and myself were also very impressed with his demeanor and energy.

Saints Premiers 2008
Saintsational Legend

Davo027 wrote:Saints Premiers 2006 wrote
to be honest it really surprised me...like...surely not..

furthermore westaway seemed genuinely pissed off by it too

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

can you name the sponsor now then - I assume it's public info if it's due in court???

n1ck
Saintsational Legend

saintspremiers wrote:
can you name the sponsor now then - I assume it's public info if it's due in court???
He mentioned it to us in our interview, and while he didnt name the company specifically, i would imagine it to be Mortgage House.

Thats just speculation that I have heard.

The Peanut
Club Player

Oh When the Saints wrote:
saintwill66 wrote: ...
He was relatively lukewarm to my idea for the club to publish and distribute a quarterly newsletter as a means of communication with members, but invited me to submit a proposal to him, which I'll do. Brisbane Lions do this with great effect and I'm convinced it should be and can be done by St Kilda FC.
Something we desperately need IMO. I estimate that about 10% of the Saints fan base know about this forum/WOM.

For all the others who aren't internet users, they need a regular form of communication from the club.

As long as it is profitable, this sort of magazine is something that needs to be brought back. I am sure Russel Holmesby could produce it.

Last year at the AGM a lady asked a question regarding supporter communications and someone from the board or the club said 'that information was emailed to supporters' - 'but I don't have emails' she said - now it gets fuzzy but I think that she was told that it would be looked into.

Whatever - There are thousands of mature aged people in the community (who have been forking out their hard-earned for many years) that have only ever recieved advertsing brochures in the mail. It's no wonder that SKFF got lots of response with their challenging ticket, its basically the first time since many members have recieved info relating to the club for donkeys ages, other than they see on TV or read in the Hun .

As someone said to me the other day - even many members that are internet users would be happy to have a Saints newsletter to read in the dunny.

The glossy mags are pretty flash (when we get them) - but the info is usually pretty basic and they are very expensive to produce.

I seldom meet anyone at the footy that know about SS or WoM - but I do meet heaps of people that lack some basic knowledge that we learn about on here.

Its just not good enough in my humble opinion.

Oh When the Saints
Saintsational Legend

A newsletter/booklet is a better idea instead of a full-on magazine.

Would not have to be anything flash ... just 4-5 pages with a column from the President, Coach, CEO, Captain(s), some sponsor advertising and a couple of feature articles.

Westaway's company could arrange the distribution. I am sure most members would pay an extra $5 in their membership per year to receive it.

Let me know if you want a hand with the proposal to GW saintwill.

They should only play AFL games now when it's raining. Slow games of footy are so much better to watch.
maverick
Saintsational Legend

Agree with Plugger on this, the Cats have had trouble for years attracting people down Geelong way, the players are young with money, they need to be near the beach or city, we mere mortals may travle an hour or so to work, these blokes won't, simple.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Solar wrote:

If it's not virgin then I would look at tiger airlines. We could get in early with them being a second tier sponsor and grow along with them.

I would not get too hopeful about Tiger beinga major sponsor..

They area VERY low cost airline who spend very little on advertising...mainly using viral and guerrila techniques.

Virgin on the other hand who WERE a low cost airline who are moving up towards a more expensive platform (ie they are expanding business lounges and frequent flyer schemes and have just had tiering..)....and who will be introducinga ViginLite to compete with Jetstar and Tiger.

Airline wise Virgin would be ok...but one of the newer cashed up ARAB airlines would be better.

Virgin do splash the cash around though....one of my yearly events gets 100K off them for a 2 day event.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
Saint Bev
SS Life Member

Hats off to the Qld supporters, we could not have had worse weather. I know there was a storm in Bris but we had continuous hail storms all night on the Gold Coast. So thanks everyone for the effort.

Alot of what was said was the same so just a few comments from the GC.

Moorabbin redevelopment - A touchy subject because we all love the place so much. I guess the facts are regardless of how much we feel, Kingston Council don't want us there. It would seem and this is just my point of view, that its just not going to happen. I guess we need to all start coming to terms with that. The good news is there has been lots of offers with lots of dollars. So we have plenty of options. It would seem that maybe Casey grounds is a last option because of the distance. Also Fitzroy St is not a goer, the buildings are classified and Melbourne already train there. We need a facility that no one else is using. The new board are committed to have the best facility in the league. That may mean that our training factility is seperate to our social club.

We could afford Judd but he said from the word go that he was not interested in joining us. Facilities may have had something to do with that. We do have money under the salary cap to recruit top players. We are looking for another ruckman. In fact we had a drink after the meeting and a call came through from Archie Fraser advising that we did not get Blake and that he has resigned with Geelong.

I also spoke with Greg about the newsletter that Will spoke to him about. His only problem is the cost. Which we know from experience is a big exercise. He said most members these days have an email contact. However he said that he was more than happy to look at Will's proposal.

Must add that Greg was very impressed with Nicks speech at the B&F. Really took on board the challenge he made to the board. He said the players were pumped and can't wait till be season starts. His raw enthusiasm was great.

We were very impressed with Greg, he was honest, down to earth and easy going. The thing that impressed me the most. There was a teenage son there that was bought along by his parents who you might say was only half interested. Just prior to Greg leaving he turned around to this boy, introduced himself, shook his hand and said a few things that I can't remember exactly now, but he talked to him at his level. Very impressive.

Qld Saints Supporter Group
Saints Premiers 2008
Saintsational Legend

i agree completely bec

he is rather enthusiastic whilst seemingly being front and forth-right about it all (if that makes sense)

saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

Saints Premiers 2006 wrote:i agree completely bec

he is rather enthusiastic whilst seemingly being front and forth-right about it all (if that makes sense)
no corporate speak?

raw enthusiasm?

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
Saint Bev
SS Life Member

saintbrat wrote:
Saints Premiers 2006 wrote:i agree completely bec

no corporate speak?

raw enthusiasm?
What I mean by that is he is very natural, doesn't use "flowery" sentances and is genuinally excited about taking the club forward.

Qld Saints Supporter Group