Who should be captain in 2008?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Three captains: Riewoldt, Hayes and Ball
8%
Co-captains: Riewoldt and Hayes
7%
Co-captains: Riewoldt and Ball
3%
Co-captains: Ball and Hayes
No votes
Nick Riewoldt
39%
Lenny Hayes
32%
Luke Ball
2%
Robert Harvey
3%
Justin Koschitzke
4%
Nick Dal Santo
1%
Other (please indicate below)
2%

Total votes: 103

Oh When the Saints
Saintsational Legend

They should only play AFL games now when it's raining. Slow games of footy are so much better to watch.
SaintPM
Club Player

Justin Koschitzke

Sign Sealed for Life
brown-coat
SS Hall of Fame

As far as i'm concerned, after Riewoldts B&F speech, nobody else at the club should be allowed ANYWHERE NEAR the captaincy. That kind of honesty and will to change is desperately what we need instead of the "oh the list is fine Raph Clarke will be a champion" attitude that gets us absolutely nowhere.

Riewoldt should be captain.

milney044
Club Player

i want lenny as captain. however i think roo would do the job nicely, lenny just jumps out at me as captain material. he did a fine job in 2004.

Destiny. It's in our hands.

Harder. Better. Faster. Stronger.
Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

I like the idea of Roo and Ball.

Lenny's a gun and players will always follow him but I have a feeling that involving these two in the top position will ease pressure of each and no one will question what they have to say.

nabby7
Club Player

so
is this out of jst curiosity
or are we going back to the one el capitano now?

saintsrule
Club Player

robert harvey

Oh When the Saints
Saintsational Legend

nabby7 wrote:so
is this out of jst curiosity
or are we going back to the one el capitano now?
Based on Riewoldt's speech at the B&F the other night, coupled with the way he has matured and is the commanding presence at St Kilda now, many have called for him to be sole captain.

They should only play AFL games now when it's raining. Slow games of footy are so much better to watch.
RooandKosi
Club Player

brown-coat wrote:As far as i'm concerned, after Riewoldts B&F speech, nobody else at the club should be allowed ANYWHERE NEAR the captaincy. That kind of honesty and will to change is desperately what we need instead of the "oh the list is fine Raph Clarke will be a champion" attitude that gets us absolutely nowhere.

AGREE I was against reiwoldt captain but he is the man. Best player in the AFL and can win us a flag off his OWN boot. We have to start believing in him MORE!!

Give him the captaincy let him become the next wayne carey, although without the whole cheating on his missus thing. :wink:

Armoooo
Saintsational Legend

I was originally for the 3 captain system but I wanted one in the backline, midfield and forward line. I hated how we had to captains in the midfield, it made no sense to me.
I think we should have one captain now and that is Roo.
I don't even think we should bother with a vice captain. We should just have a leadership group.

ROBERT HARVEY A.K.A The Great Man, Banger, Harves, Ol' Man River...
384 games, 4 B&F's, 3 EJ Whitten Medals, St.Kilda Captain, 2 Time Brownlow Medalist, 8 Time All Australian, 2nd Highest Brownlow votes poller.... The greatest of ALL TIME!!
fonz_#15
SS Life Member

RooandKosi wrote: reiwoldt is the man. Best player in the AFL and can win us a flag off his OWN boot. We have to start believing in him MORE!!
have you watched any games in the last 2 years????? start believeing in him more? that is the most humerous satement i have read on this forum, even taking into consideration B4E's posts re: thomas, recruiting etc.

START BELIEVING IN ROO MORE!!!! from what i saw this year, every time we went forward the ball was kicked to him, half the reason our team couldnt kick a score over 60 for half a year. roo was double teamed regularly and our players insisted on kicking to him anyway..

if anything the players believe in roo too much.

Robert Harvey- Simply the best
Armoooo
Saintsational Legend

Yea I've always wondered why they would rather kick it to a double/triple teamed roo rather than give it to an uncontested Milney... :?

ROBERT HARVEY A.K.A The Great Man, Banger, Harves, Ol' Man River...
384 games, 4 B&F's, 3 EJ Whitten Medals, St.Kilda Captain, 2 Time Brownlow Medalist, 8 Time All Australian, 2nd Highest Brownlow votes poller.... The greatest of ALL TIME!!
Dal_Santos_Gal
Saintsational Legend

plain and simple
just Riewoldt

He is the future.

In Ross Get lost!

I am excited to stay at St Kilda and this is a great result for the Club and all our fans. I’m proud to be part of the Saints and am pleased to be playing football with the Clubâ€
battye
Saintsational Legend

I used to think Hayes should be sole captain... but now I think Riewoldt.

Feature article: KFC's "Double Down" burger!

TV Ratings: Hey Hey It's Saturday ratings overview

Do you know what C# is? .NET? Then you need to know this: XSD
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Lenny should be captain. I knew when this poll was done that Rooy would be favourite just because of the speech but do we know what is said inside the club. Dont worry about the speech it was done for the supporters.

SaintBot
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:Lenny should be captain. I knew when this poll was done that Rooy would be favourite just because of the speech but do we know what is said inside the club. Dont worry about the speech it was done for the supporters.
agree...i voted lenny as well

i reckon whoever won the b&f wouldve been expected to have done something like that...to set the challanges to the squad and board in front of the supporters

Hayes comes across as relaxed and cool under pressure.

Whilst Riewoldt lead extremley well throughout this year on the field, he still has his moments off. Anyone remember when he injured his hammy and then tried to play games with the media over it.

As for Ball, i think he would cherish by not having the extra pressure of the captaincy on his shoulders.

claystreet
Club Player

Lenny for me

mature very relaxed and a natural leader

8-)

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

fonz_#15 wrote:
RooandKosi wrote: reiwoldt is the man. Best player in the AFL and can win us a flag off his OWN boot. We have to start believing in him MORE!!

START BELIEVING IN ROO MORE!!!! from what i saw this year, every time we went forward the ball was kicked to him, half the reason our team couldnt kick a score over 60 for half a year. roo was double teamed regularly and our players insisted on kicking to him anyway..

if anything the players believe in roo too much.
yes, i agree. our on-field reliance on him has been too great, which isn't to say that he isn't a super player. we need to find other avenues to goal. however i think he should be captain with kosi as his deputy

asiu

'....... one in the backline, midfield and forward line. '

yep ...was / is my preferred set-up....as well

saintsrus
SS Hall of Fame

milney044 wrote:i want lenny as captain. however i think roo would do the job nicely, lenny just jumps out at me as captain material. he did a fine job in 2004.
I agree 100%, remember how he stood up in Tassie V the Frockers.

Rooys a champ but hes too inconsistant when it comes to off field stuff, sure his speech was stiring but he said the same a few years back. Then he said publicly he hated signing stuff for fans and sooked about Gt . Captains dont do that.

Before Im 85
Lennon
Club Player

SaintBot wrote:
Whilst Riewoldt lead extremley well throughout this year on the field, he still has his moments off. Anyone remember when he injured his hammy and then tried to play games with the media over it.
And Lenny doesn't have off momments?

Riewoldt by a fair way, and not because of a speech he gave at the B&F. :roll:
saintsrus wrote:
Rooys a champ but hes too inconsistant when it comes to off field stuff, sure his speech was stiring but he said the same a few years back. Then he said publicly he hated signing stuff for fans and sooked about Gt . Captains dont do that.
Actually it was last year he said something similar, when he won the 2006 B&F.

Which was after GT was sacked. About whom the only comments he made was he was shocked by the decision at the time.

And the only time I have ever heard him saying something about signing things for fans was when he mentioned how frustrating it is when you sign something and a few days later it turns up on ebay, that it's irritating when your time gets taken up by those kinds of people.

Seriously bizarre time line you seem to have going.

Stupid post too.
Last edited by Lennon on Sun 07 Oct 2007 8:07pm, edited 1 time in total.

Unforgiven
SS Life Member

Lenny the best natural leader. Though Riewoldt would suffice I suppose.

Carpe Diem
bobmurray
Saintsational Legend

Nick Riewoldt

I don't like this co-captain bullshite.....

There should be 1 captain who has a vice captain and leave it at that..

Will we pick up a player in the SSP window :?:
Animal Enclosure
SS Hall of Fame

Lenny is the true leader & is the best captain outside of Sammy (who is probably out of the running now!)

Love Roo & at a pinch I wouldn't mind a Lenny/Roo partnership but that would be an insult to Bally who would probably be captain at most other clubs.

Spinner
Saintsational Legend

brown-coat wrote:As far as i'm concerned, after Riewoldts B&F speech, nobody else at the club should be allowed ANYWHERE NEAR the captaincy. That kind of honesty and will to change is desperately what we need instead of the "oh the list is fine Raph Clarke will be a champion" attitude that gets us absolutely nowhere.

On - Field Leadership anyone?

Riewoldt = Absolutely none of it.

Hayes all the WAY.