Funding an independent saints.com.au website

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

Funding an independent saints.com.au website

Just wondering if Westaway is looking at an independent club website?

How much funding does it need to replace what we get from the AFL at the moment from our site on a per hit basis??

How much would it cost to set up a decent site, to say Essendon's level as a benchmark???

I'm sure a few on here would be happy to chip in a few dollars or expertise in web development????

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
GrumpyOne

Good idea. Too many whistles and bells on the official site, half the time it fails to load.

saint66au
Saintsational Legend

We dont need to start a site from scratch

WestofMoorabbin is one of the best unofficial (or official) sports site Ive ever seen. Cr@ps all over saints.com.au and every other official or unoffical AFL site around IMHO

THE BUBBLE HAS BURST

2011 player sponsor
SaintBot
Saintsational Legend

saint66au wrote:We dont need to start a site from scratch

WestofMoorabbin is one of the best unofficial (or official) sports site Ive ever seen. Cr@ps all over saints.com.au and every other official or unoffical AFL site around IMHO
pehaps the club could pay the peanut and help it become a more official webpage

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

SaintBot wrote:
saint66au wrote:We dont need to start a site from scratch

pehaps the club could pay the peanut and help it become a more official webpage
I'll second that!

The main thing is is that westofmoorabbin gets the PR required so that "ordinary" "uninformed" members find out about it.

Remember the mainstream media hate mentioning saintsational WoM etc as it takes away the importance of their sources/info etc.

A simple, well place link from saints.com.au to WoM could make a big difference......I understand it's not appropriate to link saints.com.au to saintsational, but WoM may be Ok???

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
St.Kenny
Club Player

I'd just be happy if they just stopped sending me emails promoting the latest cheap crappy St.KIlda paraphernalia (made in China) each week.
How about something of substance like promoting a pie night to help the club ?

My behaviour is considered acceptable in some far off remote exotic countries...
battye
Saintsational Legend

Re: Funding an independent saints.com.au website

saintspremiers wrote:Just wondering if Westaway is looking at an independent club website?

How much funding does it need to replace what we get from the AFL at the moment from our site on a per hit basis??

How much would it cost to set up a decent site, to say Essendon's level as a benchmark???

I'm sure a few on here would be happy to chip in a few dollars or expertise in web development????
If you're looking to take a website all the way, then upwards of AUD$600 a month. This is mainly paying for a dedicated server (ie. so your server is not shared with other websites, meaning the only strain on the server is coming from your website). saints.com.au, through their relationship with Telstra, would most certainly be using a dedicated server.

Very few sites would pay this sort of money though, it is only when you are expecting, say, hundreds of thousands of hits on a daily basis, or you have the resources to do this (ie. through a Telstra relationship, as above).

To put it in perspective, I would hazard a guess and say that Saintsational.com is on shared hosting at about AUD$16 a month. Saintsational.com sometimes gets pretty active, so it could be possible the site is on what is called a VPS (virtual private server). These could be around AUD$60 a month. I haven't seen Damian log on to this site since 2004 though, so I doubt we will ever get a definitive answer :)

In summary, if it is to be an official venture, anything less than a dedicated server would be seen as cheap. St Kilda FC can afford the 6 or 7 grand a year to maintain a good website. For an unofficial venture, such as WOM, a VPS would be more than sufficient.

Feature article: KFC's "Double Down" burger!

TV Ratings: Hey Hey It's Saturday ratings overview

Do you know what C# is? .NET? Then you need to know this: XSD
saintm
Club Player

Essendon had their best & fairest shown on bomber tv through their website.

If an alternate website gets of the ground this would be something worth thinking about for interstate and overseas members particularly, and I dare say a few Victorians as well!!

Behind Play
Club Player

GrumpyOne wrote:Good idea. Too many whistles and bells on the official site, half the time it fails to load.
Right on the money Grumpy, I don't even bother going to either the AFL or Saint's site.

saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

saintm wrote:Essendon had their best & fairest shown on bomber tv through their website.

If an alternate website gets of the ground this would be something worth thinking about for interstate and overseas members particularly, and I dare say a few Victorians as well!!
collingwood- through telstra- also have a CCtv
and freo seem to have regular online tv programs

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
satchmo
Saintsational Legend

Anybody know when the Telstra contract expires ?

*Allegedly.

Bring back Lucky Burgers, and nobody gets hurt.

You can't un-fry things.

Last Post
sunsaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Queensland - Beautiful one day ... you know the rest

I have thought this a good idea for a long time.
Hate the saint website, too hamstrung by the telstra hype, and very little substance.
My vote would be to use WOM as the base and build up from there. Would like to to see a dedicated audio stream on gamedays, with live chat in a window, it would feel like being at the game for us poor interstate remote fans.
Ive got a spare $10 bucks

Seeya