Goals from frees...not a 'bloody' gain!!!!!

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

St.Kenny
Club Player

Goals from frees...not a 'bloody' gain!!!!!

Again yesterday (during the game) I saw too much of the single statistic which I believe is killing the modern game . Goals from soft free kicks.
On most occasions these are either line ball decisions or occasions when both the backman and the forward have infringed to some axtent and the correct decision should be a ball up or play on.
Umpiring in the true spirit of the game would also suggest that play on or a ball up were the right decision.
Of course in this game there was little bearing on the final result. However throughout the course of a competitive season with many even games this clearly has had much influence as to which teams might have made the topo 4 or 8.
One of the best umpired games for mine was the Collingwood v Geelong encounter last week. Only glaringly obvious forward line frees were given (cant remember how many but certainly not many)

As one former AFL coach said...For the good of the game the umps should leave their egos in the change rooms before running out there.

I worries me even more the league is considering going to 4 umps and hence logically causing greater disparity in the decision making not just in the forward area but around the ground.

For mine the AFL got it right going to 2 umpires back when. Any thing since then has been over kill !!!

My behaviour is considered acceptable in some far off remote exotic countries...