Wakelin,Wakelin,Smith,Lappin,Carr.M,Guerra,Hall,Everitt

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Milan Faletic
Saintsational Legend

Wakelin,Wakelin,Smith,Lappin,Carr.M,Guerra,Hall,Everitt

What a great lot of "rejects". Would we have gone one step further in 2004 or 2005 if we had one of the Wakelins in defence.
What about Joel Smith or Matty Lappin.
The others I can deal with but I have never come to terms with getting rid of both Wakelins. Full backs are worth their weight in gold and we had two.

SENsei
Saintsational Legend

If my auntie had balls......

Interesting but in the end, a useless exercise.

Poster formerly known as SENsaintsational. More wisdom. More knowledge. Less name.
Saints Premiers 2008
Saintsational Legend

depressing isnt it...

goose taking the big bodied ff

wakelin at chb

maxxie taking the third tall

fisher taking the medium forwar

grammy running off the small

hmmm

"It's a work in progress," Lyon said.
Spinner
Saintsational Legend

We got pick 4 in 2000 for D Wakelin....on traded for Hamill.

Anyone that rates Wakelin (Shane variety) is a wanker.

Everitt Left

Hall Left

Lappin drank too much

And Carr was one of the most woeful users of the ball I have ever seen.....could get it though....maybe someone should have thought to work on him.....I'll give you that one.

Dan Warna
Saintsational Legend

Re: Wakelin,Wakelin,Smith,Lappin,Carr.M,Guerra,Hall,Everitt

Milan Faletic wrote:What a great lot of "rejects". Would we have gone one step further in 2004 or 2005 if we had one of the Wakelins in defence.
What about Joel Smith or Matty Lappin.
The others I can deal with but I have never come to terms with getting rid of both Wakelins. Full backs are worth their weight in gold and we had two.
powell, gehrig, hamill, gram, dal santo, penny amongst those that came in as a consequence.

wakelins have never been KPP, they have taken 3rd talls in strong defences. exposed at both clubs in the absence of their KPP. Good players but had too many expectations on them at st kilda as the FB and CHB of the club. would have been far better at HBF and HFF.

Joel Smith we offered him a 1 year contract at 50k or something, hawks offered him 200k p/a for 3 years or similar, did the risk pay off? Im not so sure. injury, (like penny, hamill and others) robbed him of his best.

lappin IMO was a mistake, the call at the time was trianides was better and their was no call or requireemtn for two skinny small forwards. history shows us this was wrong.

at st kilda the wakelins and max were our defence, at collingwood they had a swag of tall gun defenders as they did at port at both wakelins were part of a powerful team instead of being the KPPs.

were st kilda right in trading the wakelins? maybe, maybe not, but they were definately overrated as KPP.

Bewaire krime, da krimson bolt is comeing to yure nayborhood to smach krime

SHUT UP KRIME!
SaintBot
Saintsational Legend

Spinner wrote:And Carr was one of the most woeful users of the ball I have ever seen.....could get it though....maybe someone should have thought to work on him.....I'll give you that one.
carr wanted to go back home

rexy
SS Life Member

I have no problem with the club trading/delisting any of these guys. I am however perplexed at the peolpe who say wakelins third tall defender etc. I seem to remember Alistair Lynch playing on a Wakelin in 3 GF's In a row. Not sure who this swag of strong defenders Collingwood or Port have are either? Both have turned into good FBs IMO, we however did not need them at the time.

Maybe this year?
Red
Club Player

I think the Wakelins have been great players each one playing in two

grand finals. How many Saints players have played in a GF on our list.

Not too many.