breen backs butterss board

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

BAM! (shhhh)
SS Hall of Fame

Oh When the Saints wrote:Thanks BAM! (shhhh), you knew more than I did about it.

Casey left Nylex about twelve months ago I believe ... think he's in business with Butterss now.

The two boards seem reasonably similar in what they bring to the table, although SFF probably have a bit more diversity in terms of the industries they represent.

Plus SFF have a woman, which is a positive.

Interesting to hear Westaways comment that the SFF board don't have a lot to do with each other outside of spending time together at the footy ... not sure whether this is a plus or a minus, considering the "closeness" of the current board in a business sense.
Doubt I know anything more than anyone really. I just went through the board list and looked at the names I recognised. I'm sure someone with the patience to do a bit of research could come to much more detailed conclusions... I did find the exercise raised a couple of questions/points:

1) The Butterss board all being in business together/all being in recruitment/all being in IT - while it appears there's common ground in IT/recruitment, there also seems to be a lot of individual operations that don't cross over, and their basis for success does not appear to be each other. I'd like some background on what appears to be common knowledge/perception of their group involvement if someone would be good enough to share.

2) A couple of members of the current board (King, Kellett) appear at first glance to be bigger fish than the prospective replacements. I'd like very much to understand why they aren't.

The other thing I'd note, is that while the challengers don't have much to do with each other now, I'd bet that after 7 years together on the board of St. KFC, that will not be the case.

"Everything comes to he who hustles while he waits"
- Henry Ford
To the top
SS Life Member

So, moderator, to question any association between "Singer" and the Thomas family is to be critical of "Singers" family?

Your comment, when deleting a response, is telling, very telling.

You have confirmed not only YOUR sensitivity but that there is a relationship between "Singer" and the Thomas family.

Not that you willl allow this to be posted, no doubt.

And the moderators have positions, which manifest to allowing the abuse in evidence on this forum.

I must admit that suggesting "Singer" change hands at 99 was a bit over the top - I doubt he can count past 10!

It appears that certain people support Thomas, not St Kilda FC.

Well, I come from an education that says the organisation is bigger than the individual.

Given what is going on here, and the nature of the debate, there are 6 guys who have supported St Kilda FC financially over a period of years who will not be supporting in the future.

Our financial support has diminshed from what it was 15 years or more ago, because we no longer avail of what we availed of then, but, in aggregate accross the 6 of us, the club has lost to the order of $30,000- from its 2007 revenue.

Not big bikkies by any stretch, but indicative.

And we will not be the only ones making decision based on the feral support base St Kilda has.

You people, posting as you are posting, will bring St Kilda FC down.

Because instability begets instability.

So if the alternate ticket do not deliver a premiership in 2008, what happens then?

Turn on them also?

Vote them out if they do not re-instate Thomas as coach?

The only way to ensure the long term future of St Kilda FC is for a buy out, relocation to SA based at Adelaide Oval and as a privately owned entity - with member voting rights assumed by the equity contributors.

Oh When the Saints
Saintsational Legend

I'm going to leave every word of that To the Top.

Personally, I dislike Grant Thomas as much as b4e ... he insulted someone close to me twice, and I absolutely hate the man's guts. No one was more gleeful than I when he was sacked last year. Check out some of the PM's b4e and I have shared if you don't believe me.

I don't know stinger from a bar of soap (I'm 18 and he's an older man) but to comment on any poster's family or possible connection is out of line. Clearly.

To the Top wrote:And we will not be the only ones making decision based on the feral support base St Kilda has.

You people, posting as you are posting, will bring St Kilda FC down.

Because instability begets instability.
The supporter base is what it is. A football club is a democracy, and if that means that the club collapses then so be it. I'd rather lose and uphold what I believe in than sacrifice it on the whims of business principles.

The members can act as they wish, and if the so desire to replace a board or change the direction of a football club then they can.

If you don't like it, then find another organisation.

The St Kilda football club is bigger than the individual, but it is not bigger than it's supporters.

We make it what is is ... and will make a bed for it to lie in if that's what it comes to. It's in our hands.

To the Top wrote:So if the alternate ticket do not deliver a premiership in 2008, what happens then?

Turn on them also?

Vote them out if they do not re-instate Thomas as coach?
If I thought for one instant that Thomas had anything to do with the alternative ticket, I would be running to Rod Butterss faster than you can say boo.

The alternative ticket have not pledged to deliver a premiership in 2008. I am not voting for them based on on-field performance. If we win the wooden spoon next year, I will lay no blame at the feet of the board.
To the Top wrote:The only way to ensure the long term future of St Kilda FC is for a buy out, relocation to SA based at Adelaide Oval and as a privately owned entity - with member voting rights assumed by the equity contributors.
If you really truly believe that then you are not a supporter committed to this club.

The action you propose would see most supporters abandon the club - it would destroy its history and severe all links with its supporters.

Footy is a game of passion and emotion. Objectivity and business principles have little place amongst supporters.

As much as you may dislike that, it is how the facts stands.

I repeat ... the club is what it is because of its supporters, and it is their right to act as they wish in replacing a board or validating an incumbent one.

Democracy doesn't produce the best outcome ... and that's the whole idea.

They should only play AFL games now when it's raining. Slow games of footy are so much better to watch.
Saints43
Club Player

stinger wrote:
" power brokers at other clubs who are ringing and querying "What the hell is going on down there?".

...and just why would they be ringing you....ffs......
I laughed at that too...

I could be talking to Peter Jackson about footy except I'm talking to strangers on the internet about footy...

meher baba
Saintsational Legend

To the top wrote: The only way to ensure the long term future of St Kilda FC is for a buy out, relocation to SA based at Adelaide Oval and as a privately owned entity - with member voting rights assumed by the equity contributors.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
And I suppose that only people who had played for/worked for/supported Norwood in the early 1980s would be permitted to buy equity??

I get it at last: you are one of those spam robots from Eastern Europe, aren't you.

I'm impressed at how far the technology had advanced: you sure had me fooled for a while into thinking that you were a genuine businessman with close ties to a wide range of people in the upper echelons of the AFL!!

If you are not a spam robot, then you must in fact be Bill Gates. (Hang on a minute, is there actually a difference?)

"It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into."
- Jonathan Swift
SENsei
Saintsational Legend

To the top wrote:Well, I come from an education....

:lol:

Who is hell is Singer? Can he hold a tune? Next up on It Takes Two? Or is he a judge on Australian Idol?

Seriously, 'to the top" should be "Over the top". Get a grip fella.

Poster formerly known as SENsaintsational. More wisdom. More knowledge. Less name.
meher baba
Saintsational Legend

Teflon wrote:TTP - just wanted to say keep up the good work. i enjoy your posts...even if they go over the head of some........ :roll:
Interesting comment Teflon.

But I'm afraid that this next post from Mr The Top went way over my head.
The only way to ensure the long term future of St Kilda FC is for a buy out, relocation to SA based at Adelaide Oval and as a privately owned entity - with member voting rights assumed by the equity contributors.
Is this what Mr Butterss has planned for our club if he somehow succeeds in hanging onto his position as President? :wink:

"It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into."
- Jonathan Swift
SENsei
Saintsational Legend

meher baba wrote: you sure had me fooled for a while into thinking that you were a genuine businessman with close ties to a wide range of people in the upper echelons of the AFL!!
Come on MB, he's obviously from Adelaide. How could you fool you and meet the above criteria being from the land of churches?! :lol:

Poster formerly known as SENsaintsational. More wisdom. More knowledge. Less name.
meher baba
Saintsational Legend

SENsaintsational wrote:
meher baba wrote: you sure had me fooled for a while into thinking that you were a genuine businessman with close ties to a wide range of people in the upper echelons of the AFL!!
Come on MB, he's obviously from Adelaide. How could you fool you and meet the above criteria being from the land of churches?! :lol:
Yes, good point: Adelaide is a lovely city but, alas, is not exactly a major world centre for the financial market or anything else these days (they now even seem to have dropped the ball as the bizarre murder capital of the world).

I suppose we should be encouraged to see that they have enough IT capability to produce a spam robot.

- Jonathan Swift
Shaggy
Club Player

meher baba wrote:
Teflon wrote:TTP - just wanted to say keep up the good work. i enjoy your posts...even if they go over the head of some........ :roll:
Interesting comment Teflon.

But I'm afraid that this next post from Mr The Top went way over my head.
Is this what Mr Butterss has planned for our club if he somehow succeeds in hanging onto his position as President? :wink:
The Teflon seal of approval is a bit like the kiss of death :D

SENsei
Saintsational Legend

It's an endorsement that won't stick though.

joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

More playing the man and not the ball from the pro-Westaway agendaites :roll:

Try debating the issues for gods sake.

You are like a gang of wild dogs attacking anybody with a different view to yours.

really is embarrassing how insecure you lot are. :roll:

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
meher baba
Saintsational Legend

joffaboy wrote:More playing the man and not the ball from the pro-Westaway agendaites :roll:

You are like a gang of wild dogs attacking anybody with a different view to yours.

JB: you are becoming like a broken record.

What else can you do with a poster like To The Top but laugh at him? He makes the most outlandish claims of self-importance and the most bizarre proposals: such as a private equity buy-out of St Kilda and a relocation to the Adelaide Oval. Is it playing the man to want to send this up?

As for Teflon: I have given him back about 10% of the stuff he hurls at me on this forum.

This is an internet forum: we post our opinions, we throw barbs at our opponents and so forth. It's like a bunch of blokes and gals who hardly know each other meeting up in a pub on a Friday night for a chinwag. You get a lot of jibes thrown at you, and may even get the odd beer tipped over you.

So what?

Insecurity is actually getting hurt by what others post about you and responding emotionally. I never used to think that you felt that way, but you seem to be getting very wound up about this board challenge stuff, even though you pointedly refuse to come down on one side or the other.

It really doesn't matter what you, me or anyone else thinks. RB is finished IMO and Westaway will take over. The only other alternative doesn't bear thinking about, as it would take the form of a rapid descent into the morass.

And RB brought it all on himself. It never needed to have been like this, but the whole thing has had the inevitablility of a Shakespearian tragedy since September 2006.

That's not me being on one bandwagon or another. That's just the truth.

- Jonathan Swift
Shaggy
Club Player

joffaboy wrote:More playing the man and not the ball from the pro-Westaway agendaites :roll:

Ok explain to me why we only spent $214,000 on recruitment in 2006 :shock: .

If it was GT's fault in 2006 then why did RL raise the issue of us being in the bottom quartile a number of times in the press? GT was already gone if he was the barrier to change.

Whose fault is it that we haven't spoken to Rance yet? Its 2007 now ... he is supposed to be a top 10 draft this year .... lol ... hard to throw the blame at GT :D

These are issues I take seriously but apart from B4Eva carrying on about GT's $500,000 bonus if we won 2 premierships (double lol) I have not received a response.

SENsei
Saintsational Legend

Actually trying to provide a little bit of levity.

Debating the facts is getting us nowhere. Has been on going for the last fortnight.

I'm sick of debating. I'm going to stick to taking cheap shots from the peanut gallery until it all blows over!

:lol:

mischa
Club Player

Good for Barry. I'm not. One memeber=one vote. Is Barry a member?

joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

mischa wrote:Good for Barry. I'm not. One memeber=one vote. Is Barry a member?
Who knows but he is a premiership player and kicked that point.

A bit of respect from the baying pack of pro-Westaway wilddogs and GT messiah cult of personality henchmen and acolytes wouldn't go astray toward him.

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

For a minute I thought this thread was about Barry Breen wanting Butterss' Beard Back.

But alas, it wasn't.

JeffDunne

jb, do I really need to post links to threads where you've taken pot shots at club legends?

I seem to recall you taking a swipe at Burke when he made comments on SEN after RB's outburst about white-anting. As pointed out in this thread, your comments about Burke being a puppet weren't exactly flattering either.

I also seem to recall a thread on Bigfooty where we got into a debate after comments you made about Danny Frawley.

If you want I can find those links.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

mischa wrote: Is Barry a member?
Perhaps someone that has played 300 odd games might have just scraped in to be a life member of the club???? :roll:

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
mischa
Club Player

saintsRrising wrote:
mischa wrote: Is Barry a member?
Perhaps someone that has played 300 odd games might have just scraped in to be a life member of the club???? :roll:
Duh :roll: :roll: Meant a voting member.

joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

JeffDunne wrote:jb, do I really need to post links to threads where you've taken pot shots at club legends?

I seem to recall you taking a swipe at Burke when he made comments on SEN after RB's outburst about white-anting. As pointed out in this thread, your comments about Burke being a puppet weren't exactly flattering either.

I also seem to recall a thread on Bigfooty where we got into a debate after comments you made about Danny Frawley.

If you want I can find those links.
You can if you like JD, but what they have to do with vilifying club legends because they have an alternate view to the current orthodoxy I have no idea.
The bigfooty conversation was about frawleys coaching ability not him being a club legend AFAICR.

As for the Burke white anting thread, I seem to recall telling you straight that I was not bagging Nathan Burke as a former great.

If I said Burke was a puppet I retract that, however i cant remember ever posting that.

My point is that anyone, average supporters, to club legends are fair game for the pro-westaway attack dogs and their henchmen at the moment.

look at this thread, the insinuation that Breen knows nothing, is he a member, what right he has to comment etc etc.

So I dont mind if you post those threads JD. As far as i am aware I never critisised the Saints as former players. I may have because I didn't agree with them on one thing, but never did I question their worth to the Saints like Frawley and Breen and Cobwoy Neale has had their worth questioned.

Lance or James??

Oh When the Saints
Saintsational Legend

Oh, so it's like "Yes Minister".

"Speaking with my "Analysis of Former Coaches" hat on, I would say that Danny Frawley was a terrible coach and destroyed Richmond.

Speaking with my "Football Media" hat on, I would say that Frawley does not add much to the TripleM broadcast.

But speaking with my "Former St Kilda Club Legends" hat on, Frawley was one of our best ever captains".
Last edited by Oh When the Saints on Thu 27 Sep 2007 6:30pm, edited 1 time in total.

They should only play AFL games now when it's raining. Slow games of footy are so much better to watch.
JeffDunne

I guess my point jb is that many people make comments criticising former greats for a whole host of reasons. Vilifying seems a bit strong based on the comments I've read in this thread. Personally I try and avoid passing comment on them and try and pay them due respect for what they did for the club. I couldn't care less if club legends put their opinions on the public record but they do run the risk of alienating themselves from administrations (& supporters) in the future which IMO has been one of our great failings as a club in the past.

One thing people need to take into account though when they read these comments is that people like Breen, Burke, Frawley, etc have personal relationships with administrators they are passing comment on. I view any comments from them as a personal endorsement rather than speaking on behalf of the membership. No doubt each believes whoever they endorse is of benefit to the club as they have as much if not more interest in the club's survival than people like us, but they do have personal relationships that colours their opinion.

From my perspective, and someone that loathes our current president, past legends offering public support when they aren't prepared to get involved themselves doesn't change my opinion of them or the people they are endorsing. They have every right to pass comment but I take it for what it is. That is, a personal rather than a professional endorsement.

TimeToShineFellas
SS Hall of Fame

joffaboy wrote:A bit of respect from the baying pack of pro-Westaway wilddogs and GT messiah cult of personality henchmen and acolytes wouldn't go astray toward him.
Too late for that methinks..............