X - 1 year deal

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Beej
Saintsational Legend

vacuous space wrote:X has played 97 games in 6 years. In that time he's managed to get 20 touches just six times.
I find that absolutely staggering.

Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

OLB wrote:
vacuous space wrote:X has played 97 games in 6 years. In that time he's managed to get 20 touches just six times.
I find that absolutely staggering.
Which part?
The 97 games
or
20 touches 6 times?

The 97 games is a reflection of his continual injury problems

the 20 touches in 6 games is a reflection of the use his coaches have made of him.
He has basically been a BP/HBF/HFF/FP player and very rarely rotated through teh midfield where he would be expected to accumulate disposals.

Beej
Saintsational Legend

Mr Magic wrote:the 20 touches in 6 games is a reflection of the use his coaches have made of him.
He has basically been a BP/HBF/HFF/FP player and very rarely rotated through teh midfield where he would be expected to accumulate disposals.
That part and even still, you can get 20 touches on an average day no matter where you play on the ground, and to only achieve that 6 times in just under 100 games. :shock:

I'd like to know how many times Leigh Fisher has had 20 touches or more in a game, I'm thinking a few more times than X...

Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

OLB wrote:
Mr Magic wrote:the 20 touches in 6 games is a reflection of the use his coaches have made of him.
That part and even still, you can get 20 touches on an average day no matter where you play on the ground, and to only achieve that 6 times in just under 100 games. :shock:

I'd like to know how many times Leigh Fisher has had 20 touches or more in a game, I'm thinking a few more times than X...
I don't know but i'd be surprized if it was many more?

Both p[lay a 'defensive' type of game.
Unlike Gramm and S.Fisher who are attacking defenders and who get the ball more. Those 2 have been used as 'ball distributors' off the halfback line whereas X and L.Fisher are 'lockdown' types.

Beej
Saintsational Legend

Mr Magic wrote:
OLB wrote:

I don't know but i'd be surprized if it was many more?

Both p[lay a 'defensive' type of game.
Unlike Gramm and S.Fisher who are attacking defenders and who get the ball more. Those 2 have been used as 'ball distributors' off the halfback line whereas X and L.Fisher are 'lockdown' types.
Yeah, I'm not sure X is a lock-down type, a lot more natural ability than that imo. I'd class him as a dashing half back flanker with a lot of attacking flair.

The Peanut
Club Player

Davo027 wrote:Xavier Srn ( X's & Raf's father) is undergoing chemo at the moment :( ....maybe thats why the contract is for a year?...

BTW St Marys Football club is hosting a fundraising event this Saturday to support the costs of the treatment.

Donations can also be sent : Xavier Clarke (srn) Fund
St Marys football club PO Box 972 Darwin 0801
Sorry to hear about that - I'm pretty sure I saw him at training a few months ago,

I read the following article a few years back when Xavier first came to us - it put me in the picture a bit - later I got an email from X's cousin and I sent her the newspaper photo's of him at the time and she printed them off to show his Grandmother when she was still alive - she was so proud.

XAVIER CLARKE (SNR)

Xavier (snr) began in under 17 colts at ten years of age and played every season since.

In 1970/71 Xavier won the Clubs Colts best and fairest

He played in the 1971/72 premiership team kicking the winning point (something he has in common with Barry Breen of St Kilda) from the half forward flank seconds before the siren. He also played in the 1977/78 and 1978/79 premiership teams.

Known mostly as a fullback he played in practically every position on the field. Xavier was a very unselfish player and was more concerned with team effort than personal attention. He was certainly a very significant cog in the Saints success story.

Quite a number of players in their entire career never play in a premiership team but Xavier was lucky enough to have played in three.

Probably his greatest honour was meeting the Queen in the 1976/77 grand final. Very few people have this honour and it's a fitting tribute that he should have this honour.

Although the NTFL recognises Xavier as only playing 115 games during my research I came across an article written in an old halo of season 1983/84 and it states (quote) “Xavier Clarke played in Saints 71/72 premiership and then through to the cyclone in 1974. From club records, he is credited with 50 games precyclone and as far as the club is concerned has played 165 games to date.â€

evertonfc
Saintsational Legend

st_Trav_ofWA wrote:
Oh When the Saints wrote:Interesting to hear Archie Fraser on SEN this morning.

Said that the football department is "miles" in front of where it was at this time last year, and that Lyon and the assistants are well prepared already for list decisions etc.

Sounded positive.
i would hope so concidering this time last year whe had no coaching staff at all and KS was doing all the list management stuff
We appointed a coach with 48 hours left in trade week - I'd bloody hope we're not even in the same millenium as we were last year.

More basic, simple truths that we're meant to be ecstatic about, I suppose.

Clueless and mediocre petty tyrant.

Go Sretnias Go
Club Player

The St.Kilda F.C. should set up a fund to assist the Clarke Family if X Snr. is undergoing chemo.
If they do, I will give $100.00 towards it.
One has to think about the amount of charity work X has done whilst a member of the St.KFC - it's enormous. So now we can help. :) :) :) :)

Once a Sainter always a Sainter.
st_Trav_ofWA
Saintsational Legend

Go Sretnias Go wrote:The St.Kilda F.C. should set up a fund to assist the Clarke Family if X Snr. is undergoing chemo.
If they do, I will give $100.00 towards it.
One has to think about the amount of charity work X has done whilst a member of the St.KFC - it's enormous. So now we can help. :) :) :) :)
i would imagine the club would help out X (snr) through a sizable donation

"The team that wins in the most positions and makes the least amount of mistakes, usually wins the game." -- Allan Jeans

http://westernsaints.wordpress.com/
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

This will not be popular but I think X is very overated. What has he done for 3 year. Not much apart from a few good games. Not many. As silly as it sounds I would do a straight swap for Sherman. has showed just as much as X and is younger. I know I will cop heaps for this but please look through both eyes and tell me what he has done in the last 3 years which makes him better than an average player.

st_Trav_ofWA
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:This will not be popular but I think X is very overated. What has he done for 3 year. Not much apart from a few good games. Not many. As silly as it sounds I would do a straight swap for Sherman. has showed just as much as X and is younger. I know I will cop heaps for this but please look through both eyes and tell me what he has done in the last 3 years which makes him better than an average player.
yes and no i think X has been hampered by injury and perhaps a confidence issue in his time at st kilda the tallent is there its just not comming to the front

i think also alot of ppl see X as this generations Winmar (purely based on his aboriginal background) and think hes not living up to that expectation be cause basically hes not in the same class of player as winmar . i have faith in X i think he shows alot of determination and the skill is there i think hes going to have a breakout year this year give him a full preseason and a injury free start of the year his confidence will be sky high and his skill will come to the front

"The team that wins in the most positions and makes the least amount of mistakes, usually wins the game." -- Allan Jeans

http://westernsaints.wordpress.com/
Rooy_coin
Club Player

did the club want to get rid of him did they sign him up or did he want to be signed up? lets hope he had a good year next year and then he can stay on for another year longer

CARN THE SAINTERS!!!
The Peanut
Club Player

st_Trav_ofWA wrote:yes and no i think X has been hampered by injury and perhaps a confidence issue in his time at st kilda the tallent is there its just not comming to the front

i think also alot of ppl see X as this generations Winmar (purely based on his aboriginal background) and think hes not living up to that expectation be cause basically hes not in the same class of player as winmar . i have faith in X i think he shows alot of determination and the skill is there i think hes going to have a breakout year this year give him a full preseason and a injury free start of the year his confidence will be sky high and his skill will come to the front
Gotta agree with you stTrav - He puts in and although often unnoticed by many his team input and 1%ers are appreciated by both players and in the coaching box. I have noticed that of late he has improved on that awful habit of putting himself in serious danger when in and under - which is often.