Can somebody once and for all clear this up?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

st.byron
Saintsational Legend

Can somebody once and for all clear this up?

Below is an excerpt from an article in today's Australian by Greg Denham about the retirement of James Clement.

"Clement is understood to have forgone almost $400,000 in 2008 -- the final year of his contract -- to quit the game after 12 seasons.
As well, the likely retirement of Paul Lucuria -- like Clement, a dual Copeland Trophy winner -- should give the Magpies salary cap relief next year of up to $750,000."

I can understand that Licuria's retirement releases funds if he is not under contract for 2008. But if Clement is contracted for 2008 and is retiring early, is that not exactly the same as Hamill? Wont Clement's salary therefore have to be included in the Filth's cap figure?

Is Greg Denham wrong? If he's right, how is that different to Hamill's situation?
Confused? I am.

snoopygirl
SS Life Member

Answer is simple, think of the team Clement plays for & then remember who Hamill plays for. Then you'll understand the rules & how they are applied. :wink:

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Re: Can somebody once and for all clear this up?

st.byron wrote:Below is an excerpt from an article in today's Australian by Greg Denham about the retirement of James Clement.

"Clement is understood to have forgone almost $400,000 in 2008 -- the final year of his contract -- to quit the game after 12 seasons.
As well, the likely retirement of Paul Lucuria -- like Clement, a dual Copeland Trophy winner -- should give the Magpies salary cap relief next year of up to $750,000."

I can understand that Licuria's retirement releases funds if he is not under contract for 2008. But if Clement is contracted for 2008 and is retiring early, is that not exactly the same as Hamill? Wont Clement's salary therefore have to be included in the Filth's cap figure?

Is Greg Denham wrong? If he's right, how is that different to Hamill's situation?
Confused? I am.

Hamill's salary will not be included next year as he has agreed to take part payment this year. He will also not be on the list.

saintm
Club Player

plugger66 wrote:
Hamill's salary will not be included next year as he has agreed to take part payment this year. He will also not be on the list.
If all this has been decided, is there a reason why the Club is delaying the announcement? Would have thought that once it found its way to the press it would have just been confirmed by the Club.

Saints Premiers 2008
Saintsational Legend

snoopygirl wrote:Answer is simple, think of the team Clement plays for & then remember who Hamill plays for. Then you'll understand the rules & how they are applied. :wink:
the sooner some supporters loose the stkilda conspiracy theory the better for us all

grow up

"It's a work in progress," Lyon said.
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

saintm wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
If all this has been decided, is there a reason why the Club is delaying the announcement? Would have thought that once it found its way to the press it would have just been confirmed by the Club.
I am not saying it has been confirmed but that is what their intention is if he does retire.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Saints Premiers 2006 wrote:
snoopygirl wrote:Answer is simple, think of the team Clement plays for & then remember who Hamill plays for. Then you'll understand the rules & how they are applied. :wink:
the sooner some supporters loose the stkilda conspiracy theory the better for us all

grow up
Agree totally. Thank goodness someone said it.

saintm
Club Player

Thanks plugger.

JT
Club Player

I think clement is choosing to retire, therefore he gives up his entitlement to the 400k.

Voss was still on the lions list this year as his contract was backloaded, therefore it would be unfair for him to give up $$$ as the payments relate to earlier years.

I dont think Hamill wants to give up the $$$, so we have been able to bring next years money into this year.

st.byron
Saintsational Legend

thanks Plugger.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

JT wrote:I think clement is choosing to retire, therefore he gives up his entitlement to the 400k.

Voss was still on the lions list this year as his contract was back-loaded, therefore it would be unfair for him to give up $$$ as the payments relate to earlier years.

I don't think Hamill wants to give up the $$$, so we have been able to bring next years money into this year.
Exactly.

There is a BIG difference between choosing to retire....and the club choosing to retire you.

If a player chooses to retire early they forgo future payments.

If a club retires a player early then the club must honour the balance of the contract.

With hamill as we have room...some of the money has been advanced into this years as the club was not at our limit.

this frees up a bit more for next year.....which frees up space for the club if it wishes to to acquire an established player....like a Jolly for example.
Last edited by saintsRrising on Tue 25 Sep 2007 10:31pm, edited 1 time in total.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
The Saintsational Man
Club Player

Hey Plugger.....thanks

st.byron
Saintsational Legend

saintsRrising wrote:
JT wrote:I think clement is choosing to retire, therefore he gives up his entitlement to the 400k.
Voss was still on the lions list this year as his contract was backloaded, therefore it would be unfair for him to give up $$$ as the payments relate to earlier years.

I dont think Hamill wants to give up the $$$, so we have been able to bring next years money into this year.
Exactly.

There is a BIG difference between chooing to retire....and the club choosing to retire you.

If a player chooses to retire early they forgo...and future payments.

Ifa club retires aplayer early then the club must honour the balance of the contract.

with hamill as we have room...some of the money has been advanced into this years as the club was not at our limit.

this frees up a bit more for next year.....which frees up space for the club if it wishes to to aquire an established player....likea Jolly for example.

So does this mean that Aaron has retired or the club has made him retire? I'm still not clear.
Is it that he hasn't chosen to retire but we have been able to advance some of next year's payment into this year, freeing up that much money in next year's cap? Is that right? He hasn't actually chosen to retire but the club has told him to?

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

st.byron wrote:

So does this mean that Aaron has retired or the club has made him retire? I'm still not clear.
Is it that he hasn't chosen to retire but we have been able to advance some of next year's payment into this year, freeing up that much money in next year's cap? Is that right? He hasn't actually chosen to retire but the club has told him to?
1/ there is actually nothing official yet. RL said at the Brownlow that the decision would be left to Hamill and that this should be known ina few days.

2/ reading between the lines and from what i know from talking to an ex-saints Club Doc...sammy's prognosis is not good........and so I suspect that the club may be "encouraging" him to retire. As an inducement he will be paid out up from as we have some room leftthis year. there may still be some payment...the balance..next season, but that gives us more space for other players.

On sammy's knees...I was told it is bone on bone and it is a matter of when he has his knees reconstructed rather than if.

To train and play on......I would imagine....is possible....but would inflicta lot of pain and grief on him. Whether he could actaully play or not is not known.....and would have to be on a suck it and see approach.

Sam is a proud player and would love to play on...so atough decision for him...but I think his time has come.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
Little Dozer
Club Player
Location: Forward Pocket, Outer side, Linton Street end or bay 38 Waverley

grow up
How do you explain Baker's 7 week suspension then? Not to mention some of the other ridiculous tribunal decisions we have had to wear.

carn_sainter
Club Player

i agree that the conspiracy theorists are way off the mark

the blame, blame, blame, poor little sainters victim line has been popular for way too long

st_Trav_ofWA
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:

grow up
Agree totally. Thank goodness someone said it.
but guys if the evil afl doesnt hate us then we would have to admit is our own ineptitude that we havent won a flag since 66 .... much more easier to think the worlds against us :roll:

"The team that wins in the most positions and makes the least amount of mistakes, usually wins the game." -- Allan Jeans

http://westernsaints.wordpress.com/
riccardo
Saintsational Legend

carn_sainter wrote:i agree that the conspiracy theorists are way off the mark

the blame, blame, blame, poor little sainters victim line has been popular for way too long
They do say where theres smoke, theres fire.

Wouldn't be a conspiricy theory if there wasn't a hint of a conspiricy, would there?

snoopygirl
SS Life Member

Dearie me, did you not see the wink at the end of my post? It was said tongue in cheek given so many people think there is a conspiracy against St Kilda. And for that poster who suggested I grow up, I'm tipping I have children older than you. See if you can find yourself a sense of humour during the school holidays. :roll:

st.byron
Saintsational Legend

saintsRrising wrote:
st.byron wrote:

1/ there is actually nothing official yet. RL said at the Brownlow that the decision would be left to Hamill and that this should be known ina few days.

2/ reading between the lines and from what i know from talking to an ex-saints Club Doc...sammy's prognosis is not good........and so I suspect that the club may be "encouraging" him to retire. As an inducement he will be paid out up from as we have some room leftthis year. there may still be some payment...the balance..next season, but that gives us more space for other players.

On sammy's knees...I was told it is bone on bone and it is a matter of when he has his knees reconstructed rather than if.

To train and play on......I would imagine....is possible....but would inflicta lot of pain and grief on him. Whether he could actaully play or not is not known.....and would have to be on a suck it and see approach.

Sam is a proud player and would love to play on...so atough decision for him...but I think his time has come.

thanks sRr

riccardo
Saintsational Legend

snoopygirl wrote:Dearie me, did you not see the wink at the end of my post? It was said tongue in cheek given so many people think there is a conspiracy against St Kilda. And for that poster who suggested I grow up, I'm tipping I have children older than you. See if you can find yourself a sense of humour during the school holidays. :roll:
I got it snoop. :D

B W and R all over
SS Hall of Fame

carn_sainter wrote:i agree that the conspiracy theorists are way off the mark

Could not agree more. It's completely inconceivable and unbelievably immature to keep sprouting the theory that everyone's out to get us.

Some people just can't stop crapping on about it though.

25 minutes to make a name for yourself like you've never made before.