breen backs butterss board

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Oh When the Saints
Saintsational Legend

No, joffaboy is pretty close to spot on here.

(Perhaps you could tone down your posts a bit ... when reading them I get the image of a guy jumping up and down in front of his computer and screaming angrily)

The fact is, RB and AF would be negligent in their duty if they weren't looking for sponsors as the moment.

I agree the ad does look desperate, but if a new sponsor does respond, then they are not likely to be fazed by the fact that there is a challenge occurring.

Whatever happens, new sponsors can only benefit the club, and to use the POSITIVE actions of the CURRENT St Kilda BOARD to attack them is emotive and ridiculous.

They should only play AFL games now when it's raining. Slow games of footy are so much better to watch.
meher baba
Saintsational Legend

bigred wrote:I'm really glad your not involved in the marketing department Meha....

We would all be sitting on our hands just waiting for a sponsor to come to us.

I find your above posts absolutely laughable.
Well, there you go. I have spent quite a bit of my career working in marketing and public relations. But it seems I must bow to your superior knowledge of how people go about getting sponsorships.

Really, I should go and do something more useful with my time than argue about this.

"It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into."
- Jonathan Swift
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

meher baba wrote:I thought I'd seen anything on here, but can't believe that some posters are defending the decision to advertise for sponsors. :roll: :roll: :roll:

Lets make the assumption that the EGM cannot be held and elections will be in late Nov.

Are the Saints meant to just sit on its hands till then??

Or does the club instead keep doing what it is meant to do...

ie participate in trades and drafts..chase sponosrs......fitness staff etc

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
meher baba
Saintsational Legend

joffaboy wrote:
bigred wrote:I'm really glad your not involved in the marketing department Meha....

Not laughable, just typical of this place nowdays.

They all have the messiah fevour :wink:
Gee you are all over the shop ATM JB.

You agreed with me earlier in the thread that the ads were a waste of money (if they cost anything) and a sign of desperation.

I have noticed you ranting and raving a lot on here lately, but you don't seem to have a consistent view: other than seeming to want to canonise the current board and its president because they took the fairly obvious (and pretty much unavoidable) approach of cutting costs to improve our financial viability. But I still can't work out whether you oppose the Westaway challenge or support it.

Consistency is a virtue: if you keep blipping on and off the radar screen of life it can become confusing for everyone else.

"It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into."
- Jonathan Swift
meher baba
Saintsational Legend

saintsRrising wrote:
meher baba wrote:I thought I'd seen anything on here, but can't believe that some posters are defending the decision to advertise for sponsors. :roll: :roll: :roll:

Lets make the assumption that the EGM cannot be held and elections will be in late Nov.

Are the Saints meant to just sit on its hands till then??

Or does the club instead keep doing what it is meant to do...

ie participate in trades and drafts..chase sponosrs......fitness staff etc
Absolutely nothing wrong with chasing sponsors. I am simply questioning the approach.

- Jonathan Swift
bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Re: breen backs butterss board

Breen said he found it curious for the Footy First ticket, given St Kilda's precarious history, to dismiss the work it took the Butterss board to erase $3.5 million of accumulated debt and, in recent years, produce million-dollar profits.
i can see his point, particularly coming from someone who accepted 12 cents in the dollar (or whatever it was) for the moneys owed him when the club was broke and had a scheme of arrangements operating in the 1980s.

i don't discount what butterss and his board have done for the club financially and certainly never want us to go into receivership again

this board's one big mistake was meddling with a successful (by st kilda standards) onfield operation capably managed by GT

sacking only the second coach (after jeans) to have us into the finals three years running for reasons other than football brings a hollow ring to the current board's protestations about stability.

so it should be judged on its good record? why wasn't GT?
Last edited by bigcarl on Wed 26 Sep 2007 11:32am, edited 1 time in total.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

meher baba wrote:

Absolutely nothing wrong with chasing sponsors. I am simply questioning the approach.
Well I fully agree that you would not want to ONLY be advertising...but if the Age does it at discount rates or free...then why not.

BUT YES...you certainly NEED to be chasing potential sponsors direct.

I deal with sponsors as part of what I do for a living....some I "headhunt"...and some are gained through advertising, direct mail etc....

The Peanut
Club Player

On Breeny
Surely Rod is just playing 'copycat' to the SKFF ticket by running around at the last minute looking for a respected ex-player to support him and offering AT and NB a spot on his board. Why not 'introduce an inspiring initiative'?

Together with the sponsorship advertising; it may have some credence with people who haven't made up their mind on who they intend to vote for - but to me it just seems like outrageously bad politics, even if both the ads and the Breeny ideas have merit in normal circumstances. The whole article smells of RB’s desperation.

It's getting to the stage where I am starting to feel sorry for the incumbent board. I hope they move on before some of us forget all the good work they have done for the club in the past.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

joffaboy wrote:
GrumpyOne wrote:Without credentials, the opinion of an ex-player in this matter is as relevant as any of ours on this forum.
Does that go for Thomson and Burke as well?

Breen has been in the AFL for years as GM of Sydney and other roles. he has more knowledge than both Thomson and Burke combined, but again he is attacked.

Breen without credentials????? See what Joffaboy said.

Fair dinkum...how could anyone say that Breen does not have credentials in the area of how a football club is run?????

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

The Peanut wrote:On Breeny
Surely Rod is just playing 'copycat' to the SKFF ticket by running around at the last minute looking for a respected ex-player to support him and offering AT and NB a spot on his board. Why not 'introduce an inspiring initiative'?

Together with the sponsorship advertising; it may have some credence with people who haven't made up their mind on who they intend to vote for - but to me it just seems like outrageously bad politics, even if both the ads and the Breeny ideas have merit in normal circumstances. The whole article smells of RB’s desperation.

It's getting to the stage where I am starting to feel sorry for the incumbent board. I hope they move on before some of us forget all the good work they have done for the club in the past.

Yes there is spin going on....no doubt. The Board after staying quiet are no in "ploiticing mode".

But on the ads...I seem to remember that the Saints have advertised for sponosrs in the past....

PLUS...I may be wrong here but would it not be Archie the CEO who has arranged the ads...and that Archie would be playing neautral at present???

Is not Archie just doing his job????

Oh When the Saints
Saintsational Legend

bigcarl wrote: i can see his point, particularly coming from someone who accepted 12 cents in the dollar (or whatever it was) for the moneys owed him when the club was broke and had a scheme of arrangements operating in the 1980s.
And that's part of the problem.

We are never going to get anywhere if we are dominated by 1980's thinking as a club, with our mindset all about survival.

Simply you will never win a flag if that is your thinking.

That is why I am happy with this board challenge - because it shows St Kilda supporters demanding excellence. Demanding something better, above and beyond just surviving and keeping our heads above water.

It is the culture that GT and Rod created in their 6 and 7 years at the club.

That is something I don't know if many of the players of the 1980's can understand.

The club needs to be about becoming the biggest, best and boldest it can be.

Not about a "head above water" attitude that is rooted in our abysmal culture of the 1980's.

But about taking risks and being enterprising.

They should only play AFL games now when it's raining. Slow games of footy are so much better to watch.
saint66au
Saintsational Legend

Take you point on Breen Joffaboy..he's well enough versed in footy at boardroom level for his opinion to have credibility. He's quite entitled to email RB and back him too whether you agree or disagree

Much like the RB/GT arguments of 12 months ago (and counting...!) it irks me a little that Saints fans have to be by default sitting in one camp or another. Can we be just in the "St Kilda" camp???

12 months ago when GT was exited, I fully supported RB's and the Boards right to do so. Maybe at the time I was being a touch idealistic that it was all Club-related, who knows? But, at the time, I thought the Club WOULD benefit from it..and thats all I cared about, not aligning myself blindly with RB. Going back further, when (names escapes me) and his crowd wanted RB outed after we sacked Blight, I was ropeable. Oust a Prez after 9 months in the job?? NO thanks.

2007 has been Rod Butterrs' "annus horribillus" though. Key off-field staff resign, the development stalled with no sign of progress, media ooutburts re GT..the list goes on. There is mood out there for change, but I reckon its not quite the "messiah complex" just yet. Steve Bedwell put himself up as the "Messiah" a while back and, IMHO, got his just desserts.

So...like you, I support St Kilda, and whats best for them, but I reckon labelling anyone who feels that change might be good for the Club as "Messiah followers" might be just a tad harsh?
Last edited by saint66au on Wed 26 Sep 2007 11:52am, edited 1 time in total.

THE BUBBLE HAS BURST

2011 player sponsor
Saint Bev
SS Life Member

What would Barry Breen know about the internal running of the club?

Qld Saints Supporter Group
GrumpyOne

joffaboy wrote:
GrumpyOne wrote:Without credentials, the opinion of an ex-player in this matter is as relevant as any of ours on this forum.

Breen has been in the AFL for years as GM of Sydney and other roles. he has more knowledge than both Thomson and Burke combined, but again he is attacked.

Is nobody off limits to the pro Westaway baying mob?

I suppose if Doc came out in support of the current board he would be attacked as well.

Danny Frawley has been attacked, now Breen, who next? All for what? Not towing the mobs party line?

have you people no shame to attack club greats because their opinion (some like Breen, from experience, of running a football club) differs from yours.

Yup great unity guys. Strength through Loyalty. :roll:

Makes a mockery of that motto, and is symptomatic of the mob mentality on here nowdays.
Fair Go Joffa!

Not attacking Barry, just unsure of what expertise he brought to the table. Thank you for clearing that up. I will now view his comments in a different light.

And as Thommo and Burkey are both part of the rebel ticket, and would have knowledge of their affairs more than the average poster on here, I would view their comments as informed as well.

joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

meher baba wrote:[Gee you are all over the shop ATM JB.

You agreed with me earlier in the thread that the ads were a waste of money (if they cost anything) and a sign of desperation.
No I did not.
meher baba wrote:[I have noticed you ranting and raving a lot on here lately, but you don't seem to have a consistent view: other than seeming to want to canonise the current board and its president because they took the fairly obvious (and pretty much unavoidable) approach of cutting costs to improve our financial viability

blatant falsehood. But I expect no less from someone who cant stand to hear an alternative view. Go back and read my posts and you will see that you simplistic assumptions are so far off the mark that you look silly.

Oh if it was so easy to put us in a good financial position (hindsight king that you are) why hasn't an admin done it in the previous 130 years?

Have you any idea of how the costs were cut? Where from? on what basis? I think it is very unfair to belittle the work done by the current board when even the challengers are gracious to acknowledge the good work done.
meher baba wrote:[ But I still can't work out whether you oppose the Westaway challenge or support it.
I neither support or am against the challenge. I am not for or against the board. I am against cheersquads, blantant falsehoods and baying mobs with no objectivity.
meher baba wrote:[Consistency is a virtue: if you keep blipping on and off the radar screen of life it can become confusing for everyone else.
No it isn't. Consistency is the sign of a rigid narrowminded thought process.

Not my concern if you can follow a more intricate and thoughtful pattern of discussion when new information arises./

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

saint66au wrote:So...like you, I support St Kilda, and whats best for them, but I reckon labelling anyone who feels that change might be good for the Club as "Messiah followers" might be just a tad harsh?
yes it is, and of course not all are. However the amount of personal abuse i have copped for not towing the party line on this issue has been incredible.

I may be a tad provocative, but nothing compared to the blatant falsehoods and vilification that anyone not slavishly supporting the Westaway revolution gets.

Look even club legends are being attacked. Barry Breen and Danny Frawley are entitled to their opinion but get insulted on this board by nobodies who have never done anything fo rthe club.

If anybody did that to Thommo or Noathan Burke the outcry would be astronomical.

I really dont care who wins. My money is on the new ticket, but the hypocricy of the Westaway cheersquads on here is astounding.

I have dare to ask questions of the new messiahs and have been pilloried and even threatened by biased mods because my views dont align with the mobs view.

I really get disillusioned with this type of mob mentality and start to believe their is an element of truth to the talk of a loser culture at St.Kilda :cry:

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
GrumpyOne

saintsRrising wrote:
joffaboy wrote:

Breen without credentials????? See what Joffaboy said.

Fair dinkum...how could anyone say that Breen does not have credentials in the area of how a football club is run?????
Quoted me out of context there SRR.

If you look at my post in toto, I was saying that without credentials, no ex-player is better informed than any of us.

Joffa has enlightened me as to Baryy's cred.

saintm
Club Player

Don't know what Barry Breen does now but he was General Manager of the Tasmanian Football League (TFL) a few years back.

stinger
Saintsational Legend

Re: breen backs butterss board

meher baba wrote:
bigcarl wrote:St Kilda is counting on the power of advertising in an attempt to find a new major sponsor. The Saints have placed a full-page advertisement in the news section of today's edition of The Age. The ad, which will run again on Saturday and also in The Australian Financial Review, offers potential sponsors an opportunity "to be associated with the AFL's most dynamic and exciting brand".

St Kilda chief executive Archie Fraser said last night the club wanted to be seen as innovative in taking its sales pitch to a wider market. "We think we're innovative with what we do," he said.
What an extraordinarily pointless waste of money. Really, the EGM can't come too soon.

i agree 100%...complete waste of money.....

i also went to school with breen.....nice bloke...but tied up with the shytney swines for years now...also still great mates with cowboy who has finally managed to weasel his way onto the saints gravy train....

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
stinger
Saintsational Legend

meher baba wrote:
joffaboy wrote:

Not laughable, just typical of this place nowdays.

They all have the messiah fevour :wink:
Gee you are all over the shop ATM JB.

I have noticed you ranting and raving a lot on here lately, but you don't seem to have a consistent view: other than seeming to want to canonise the current board and its president because they took the fairly obvious (and pretty much unavoidable) approach of cutting costs to improve our financial viability. But I still can't work out whether you oppose the Westaway challenge or support it.

Consistency is a virtue: if you keep blipping on and off the radar screen of life it can become confusing for everyone else.
unstable posters....no ...no-way.... :roll: :roll: :roll: ,,,not on here.....

Saint Bev
SS Life Member

Not saying anything against Barry Breen or his ability, just don't believe he has the knowledge of the internal goings on off the club that Burke and Thommo would have. Its been a fair while since his retirement.

Qld Saints Supporter Group
stinger
Saintsational Legend

saint66au wrote:T

12 months ago when GT was exited, I fully supported RB's and the Boards right to do so. Maybe at the time I was being a touch idealistic that it was all Club-related, who knows? But, at the time, I thought the Club WOULD benefit from it..and thats all I cared about, not aligning myself blindly with RB. Going back further, when (names escapes me) and his crowd wanted RB outed after we sacked Blight, I was ropeable. Oust a Prez after 9 months in the job?? NO thanks.

2007 has been Rod Butterrs' "annus horribillus" though.

i didn't....in fact i was quite vocal at the time and suggested that the board get overthrown........for that i was abused and vilified......by the same posters who are now so far up butters arse that it will be years before they will ever see the sun shine again..

...anyway..at the time i said that thomas' sacking would see the club implode.....hate to say i told you so.....

just took a bit longer than it usually does down moorabbin way..

that's one thing breen got right...the club has a history of in fighting and implosions...the very things that thomas sought to change...but the club even got him in the end

..sad really ...and i get no joy out of the current situation......just hope that rod and his cronies depart asap...and put an end to another sorry chapter in the history of the st kilda football club...... :cry: :cry:
Last edited by stinger on Wed 26 Sep 2007 4:52pm, edited 2 times in total.

Joffa Burns
Saintsational Legend

Breeny was CEO of Valvoline Australia last time I saw him (12 months ago) and Sydney based.

Mark McLure was also a Valvoline employee during his time at St Kilda and directly reported to Breen.

Breen has AFL connections but remains low key, lives in Sydney and plays plenty of golf.

Barry is a very savvy business man and a very humble and modest guy. He keeps in contact with saints Board members and employees.

For posters to question Breen's credentials but support Burke and Thompson is laughable.

Proudly assuming the title of forum Oracle and serving as the inaugural Saintsational ‘weak as piss brigade’ President.
meher baba
Saintsational Legend

joffaboy wrote:
meher baba wrote:You agreed with me earlier in the thread that the ads were a waste of money (if they cost anything) and a sign of desperation.
No I did not.
Sorry, I have reread it and realise (after about 3 re-readings) that you have used weasel words once again to disguise your position on this.
I neither support or am against the challenge. I am not for or against the board. I am against cheersquads, blantant falsehoods and baying mobs with no objectivity.
To me, this quote seems to sum up your rantings and ravings of the past month. You are basically sitting firmly on the fence and throwing rocks at the pro-SFF brigade.

How monumentally gutless. No wonder you have received some critical PMs. At least the Teflons and other have the guts to stand up and be counted as firm supporters of the current regime. Let's face it, there are morons, braying mobs and cheersquads on both sides of the divide: just as there were when GT was sacked.

jb - I have enjoyed many of your posts in the past, but your current attitude - like that you adopted 12 months ago - seems to involve attacking other posters more or less just for the heck of it. But then you seem to object to the fact that other posters want to hurl some of the same back at you.

And then you try to accuse me of not being able to stand hearing an alternative view?

:roll: :roll: :roll:

- Jonathan Swift
Saint Mik
Club Player

The cost of advertising for sponsors compared to the cost of advertising and mail outs for votes.

When all the smart ones on here work it out can you please send the difference in spending to me. :shock:

Forget the past, Saints footy, One better in 2010