Anyone hear Goose discussion on 927?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Animal Enclosure
SS Hall of Fame

If we were planning on finding $800k + a year for Judd then $450k for Goose would be OK by me.

Players have been known to sign the power of attorney over to their managers so that they can sign deals on their behalf.

I imagine that the delay is probably due to St.Kilda waiting to see if it was on Judd's radar. Now that appears to be a non event attention can turn to re-signing Goose and Bakes and looking at players like Jolly that will fill a need that we desperately need filled.

saintrod
Club Player

Goose had a predictably disappointing year coming back from a huge injury which was compounded when he broke his foot in round 1.

We have no one else on our list who can play CHB, he will be a lot better with another pre-season and we must do everything to keep him.

Forget about trading him to the hawks they are unlikely to trade their first pick (which would still be poor compensation) or Thorpe and instead will offer at best one of several untried rucks on their list and/or Williams (who would be a good pick up for us but not at the expense of Goose).

Spinner
Saintsational Legend

Animal Enclosure wrote:If we were planning on finding $800k + a year for Judd then $450k for Goose would be OK by me.

Players have been known to sign the power of attorney over to their managers so that they can sign deals on their behalf.

I imagine that the delay is probably due to St.Kilda waiting to see if it was on Judd's radar. Now that appears to be a non event attention can turn to re-signing Goose and Bakes and looking at players like Jolly that will fill a need that we desperately need filled.
450K for Goose is not OK.

The Saintsational Man
Club Player

Spinner wrote:
Animal Enclosure wrote:If we were planning on finding $800k + a year for Judd then $450k for Goose would be OK by me.

No not at all.....

200 K base.....pump it full of incentives.....

250 K worth.....but have 100 K set aside for AA selection.....

If he got AA then he'd be worth the 450K

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

The Saintsational Man wrote:
Spinner wrote:

No not at all.....

You cannot give $100,000 for AA selection it stuffs up the salary cap. That is why clubs give set amounts to the gun players so they can have a pretty good idea what the salary cap will be.

The Saintsational Man
Club Player

plugger66 wrote:
Spinner wrote:

No not at all.....

You cannot give $100,000 for AA selection it stuffs up the salary cap. That is why clubs give set amounts to the gun players so they can have a pretty good idea what the salary cap will be.
Just throwing it out there.....

ausfatcat
Saintsational Legend

incentives can work no probs but there has to be room in the salary cap, so therefore for all intensive purposes it's being used anyway.

evertonfc
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
Spinner wrote:

No not at all.....

You can, actually, and it's a good idea.

Who says it has to be paid within this cap? You make an agreement to pay him $100,000 if he has an AA season, and somewhere along the line, in future years, you pay him that money when you have the cap space.

My only concern is that it may encourage selfishness, which is exactly what we don't need.

Clueless and mediocre petty tyrant.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

evertonfc wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
Spinner wrote:

No not at all.....

Who says it has to be paid within this cap? You make an agreement to pay him $100,000 if he has an AA season, and somewhere along the line, in future years, you pay him that money when you have the cap space.

My only concern is that it may encourage selfishness, which is exactly what we don't need.
That is completely against the salary cap rules. All payments for that season must be paid in that season.

Saints Premiers 2008
Saintsational Legend

CURLY wrote:Although I desperatly want Goose to stay at least if it was Hawthorn we can at least drive a decent deal out of them and they have players we would actually want Jordan Lewis comes to mind as a straight swap.
but chris pelchen (their recruitment guy - i think??) is a complete tool and nye on impossible to do a deal with

all this goose chat is really beginning to worry me...

he is part of the brotherhood of the young stars and for him to leave would be a disaster

the hawks don't play fair when trading comes into it

"It's a work in progress," Lyon said.
Duggie
Club Player

We lost Smithy to the Awks because we could not look after him.
So if Goose goes the same way the old saying that lightning never strikes in the same place twice will go out the window as well. And both had severe leg injuries. :lol:

A Saint Forever!
Little Dozer
Club Player
Location: Forward Pocket, Outer side, Linton Street end or bay 38 Waverley

If Goose wishes to leave then we will just have to drive a hard bargain. Nothing less than a first round draft pick or good player or even both should be acceptable. Goose at his best was never an out and out star, to be forking out anywhere near 400k a year for him is sheer folly.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Saints Premiers 2006 wrote:he is part of the brotherhood of the young stars and for him to leave would be a disaster
i agree. gt would never have let the list fall to pieces like it appears to be. time for someone at the club to show some LEADERSHIP and hold it together. starts with signing goose

Animal Enclosure
SS Hall of Fame

With the lack of key positions players in this year's draft we would set the club back years.

Losing Goose would be a massive, huge, diabolical loss. People just have such short memories... look at the clubs desperate for key defenders, why on earth would we do anything but the utmost (including paying him above what some Saintsational experts believe he is worth) to secure him. Why would we give a key competitor a piece to their premiership puzzle, while disadvantaging St.Kilda.

Some of you lot act like the money is coming out of your own pockets (excepting your memberships of course!)

stinger
Saintsational Legend

bigcarl wrote:
Saints Premiers 2006 wrote:he is part of the brotherhood of the young stars and for him to leave would be a disaster
i agree. gt would never have let the list fall to pieces like it appears to be. time for someone at the club to show some LEADERSHIP and hold it together. starts with signing goose
yep...have to hold on to that 2001 group...all of them for f**** sake.....

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
Saints Premiers 2008
Saintsational Legend

stinger wrote:
bigcarl wrote:
yep...have to hold on to that 2001 group...all of them for f**** sake.....
no the leadership began when dal, kosi and roo all resigned

if goose was to go it would appear that his whole good bloke 'matey' kind of image was infact a crock

but then again if he is not in the country he cannot sign anything

enjoy your overseas trip goose

"It's a work in progress," Lyon said.
bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Saints Premiers 2006 wrote:no the leadership began when dal, kosi and roo all resigned. if goose was to go it would appear that his whole good bloke 'matey' kind of image was infact a crock.
let's not forget that loyalty is a two-way street. have our blokes been as diligent as they could have been in pursuing goose's signature?

ausfatcat
Saintsational Legend

If he does leave which i hope he doesn't, the two clubs you don't want to deal with at trade time is hawthorn and collingwood they both are unreasonable and try and rip you off at every opportunity. Both those teams would only offer 2nd rnd picks and leave it at that.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

bigcarl wrote:
err

FACTS

1? So far this year we have not lost anyone. So why is the list falling to pieces. Even Harvey rather than being exited out is playing on.

The only walk out was Sugar...and he was a dud.

2? GT never lost anyone???.....well apart from Hall, Black, Everitt you mean...??? Plus duds like Knoble too that walked too...

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
Dan Warna
Saintsational Legend

middle of the season folks were saying WHERE were the defenders in teh team?

now one of the quality ones is apparantly trade bait by some :roll:

Bewaire krime, da krimson bolt is comeing to yure nayborhood to smach krime

SHUT UP KRIME!
bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

saintsRrising wrote:
FACTS
1? So far this year we have not lost anyone. So why is the list falling to pieces. Even Harvey rather than being exited out is playing on.
The only walk out was Sugar...and he was a dud.
2? GT never lost anyone???.....well apart from Hall, Black, Everitt you mean...??? Plus duds like Knoble too that walked too...
i'm talking about the core list of young stars. goose is part of that. haven't lost him yet but it's not looking good

evertonfc
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
evertonfc wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
Spinner wrote:

No not at all.....

That is completely against the salary cap rules. All payments for that season must be paid in that season.
I'm not sure about that. You can write it up as a back-loaded contract, on the proviso you plan on him making one (maybe even two) All Australians during his time at St Kilda.

Offering back-loaded performance deals is how you do it, P66.

AND, on top of that, under your logic, how could PBC's be offered? I'd say 38 of the 42 players on our list have a performance clause built into their contract. What happens if everyone fills their clauses?

We'd be a million dollars over the limit.

Clueless and mediocre petty tyrant.

osama milne laden
Club Player

>>>We lost Smithy to the Awks because we could not look after him

he still has the bike we lent him for rehab

'What do we eat? -Mussles
How do we eat 'em? - Alive'
st_Trav_ofWA
Saintsational Legend

evertonfc wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
evertonfc wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
Spinner wrote:

No not at all.....

I'm not sure about that. You can write it up as a back-loaded contract, on the proviso you plan on him making one (maybe even two) All Australians during his time at St Kilda.

Offering back-loaded performance deals is how you do it, P66.

AND, on top of that, under your logic, how could PBC's be offered? I'd say 38 of the 42 players on our list have a performance clause built into their contract. What happens if everyone fills their clauses?

We'd be a million dollars over the limit.
where the navy blues ......
sounds dodgy to me

"The team that wins in the most positions and makes the least amount of mistakes, usually wins the game." -- Allan Jeans

http://westernsaints.wordpress.com/