Cousins to return to US for rehab

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

n1ck
Saintsational Legend

Cousins to return to US for rehab

Some good signs here. As an aside - i would absolutely love Cousins at St.Kilda, equal, or perhaps even more than id like Judd.

Cousins to return to US for more rehab
Caroline Wilson | September 16, 2007

BEN Cousins plans to return to the US to continue his rehabilitation for his substance abuse problem now that the Eagles' season has finished.

The 29-year-old West Coast champion, suspended by his club following the fallout from those problems, has told the club he wants to return to the same Malibu clinic where he went almost six months ago to continue his long-term recovery believed to involve the drug methamphetamine, known as ice.

Cousins' trip will be funded by the player himself and not the club, and has received a positive response from the Eagles, whose chairman Dalton Gooding told The Sunday Age: "He's indicated he wants to do this at his own cost. I think it would be good for him to get away from Australia and do this.

"He'd be an outpatient at that clinic and we would be happy to accommodate him and assist him as far as it involves his pre-season training."

Recovering from a damaged hamstring incurred in the qualifying final against Port Adelaide, Cousins has also indicated he plans to open up publicly for the first time regarding his substance abuse problems in a bid to provide cautionary advice not only for young footballers but for young people across Australia. His trip back to California would see him continue his rehabilitation, and also the physical healing process from injury which the Eagles expect will see Cousins return, albeit slightly late but fit, for pre-season training.

"Very few players you would allow to do that," said Gooding, "but Ben is one of the most remarkable trainers we've ever seen and we know he knows how to get fit and keep himself fit. He is a remarkable worker on the track. He's still in rehabilitation here in Perth and is not out of the woods yet but we are just thrilled that he's keen to return to California and continue his recovery."

http://www.realfooty.com.au/articles/20 ... 48837.html

The rest of the article was about WCE official positions.

Dan Warna
Saintsational Legend

so he was abusing substances after returning to Aus?

and the testing never picked him up?

sounds like another failure of our drug testing.

also makes you wonder if he did take drugs during the season...

arrogant jerk and an example of our failed testing regime.

i would also wonder about his second half recovery against st kilda...

Bewaire krime, da krimson bolt is comeing to yure nayborhood to smach krime

SHUT UP KRIME!
evertonfc
Saintsational Legend

Seeing what he did to us - he's got three years of championship football in him.

Add to that another two-three years of Harvey-esq service. His body looks in terrific shape and you get the feeling time away from the game has given him a new lease of life.

I hope he goes away, continues getting his life back on track, and should we miss Judd - you'd say it's likely - we do whatever we can to get this bloke to St Kilda.

Think about it, he'll love being reunited with Gardiner, and if they're both getting their lives back on track, how good would it be for us?

Having said that, with Judd going, they are going to be much more likely to want to keep him, I'd think.

Clueless and mediocre petty tyrant.

rexy
SS Life Member

Dont think their is any suggestion that he was still using Dan. I have never been in rehab but I would imagine the process is an ongoing one and deals with how to stay clean moving forward. Much like alchoholics I would imagine once you have been an addict you are never out of the woods just in remission, hopefully for ever.

Maybe this year?
Dan Warna
Saintsational Legend

if a st kilda player had 'substance abuse' issues do you think he'd be the sheltered character cousins is?

its quite likely given the evidence that worsfold suggested they knew for some months that he was abusing substances, that he wasn't doing it in game?

man if he comes to st kilda and gets busted, which is not unlikely, he would have the book thrown at him.

and if he is returning to the US for more treatment, that would indicate he wasn't over the issues, and quite possibly still using, and possibly in game.

the pall over the 2006 GF final win will be for even tainted by the possibility one or more players were under the influence of methamphetamine stimulant drugs.

SHUT UP KRIME!
Dan Warna
Saintsational Legend

rexy wrote:Dont think their is any suggestion that he was still using Dan. I have never been in rehab but I would imagine the process is an ongoing one and deals with how to stay clean moving forward. Much like alchoholics I would imagine once you have been an addict you are never out of the woods just in remission, hopefully for ever.
i've very rarely seen a player retching and throwing up and coming back after half time with massive increases in endurance that cousins showed.

frankly if a player comes back after half time its pretty much amazing.

it makes me think...

what if, not saying he did, but what if we lost that game to WCE while cousins was under hte influence of a methamphetamine stimulant?

at 29, with cousines record of alcohol and 'substance abuse' i'd be concerned about a short term solution like him.

SHUT UP KRIME!
chook23
Saintsational Legend

Dan Warna wrote:so he was abusing substances after returning to Aus?

and the testing never picked him up?

sounds like another failure of our drug testing.

also makes you wonder if he did take drugs during the season...

arrogant jerk and an example of our failed testing regime.

i would also wonder about his second half recovery against st kilda...
Considering your above comments.....Dan........your not on the whacky tobaccy are you!!

:wink:

saint4life
rexy
SS Life Member

Dan Warna wrote:
rexy wrote:Dont think their is any suggestion that he was still using Dan. I have never been in rehab but I would imagine the process is an ongoing one and deals with how to stay clean moving forward. Much like alchoholics I would imagine once you have been an addict you are never out of the woods just in remission, hopefully for ever.
i've very rarely seen a player retching and throwing up and coming back after half time with massive increases in endurance that cousins showed.

it makes me think...

what if, not saying he did, but what if we lost that game to WCE while cousins was under hte influence of a methamphetamine stimulant?

at 29, with cousines record of alcohol and 'substance abuse' i'd be concerned about a short term solution like him.
Mate

I am not suggesting that we trade for him I was merely saying that I would not imagine ongoing rehab would be a necessary indicator of continued drug use.

At this stage there is nothing to suggest that he is using again, and I am sure he would have been tested more than once(hope so anyway).

And as far as throwing up I have seen Baker and Ball and Hayes throw up during games and I beleive Bateman had a massive spew last night and was back on in 2 minutes.

Maybe this year?
woooosaints
Club Player

rexy wrote:
Dan Warna wrote:

it makes me think...

Mate

I am not suggesting that we trade for him I was merely saying that I would not imagine ongoing rehab would be a necessary indicator of continued drug use.

At this stage there is nothing to suggest that he is using again, and I am sure he would have been tested more than once(hope so anyway).

And as far as throwing up I have seen Baker and Ball and Hayes throw up during games and I beleive Bateman had a massive spew last night and was back on in 2 minutes.
cousins is a star taking rock/crack/gear/meth whatever you want to call it is not performance enhancing you are an idiot dan warna stay off the pot

Richter
SS Life Member

Here we go again.....

Yes, it would be performance enhancing if used just before taking the field of play. Why do you think one of its street names is "speed"?

And that is why it is on WADA's list of prohibited substances. Check out their website if you don't believe me.

Hird... The unflushable one is now... just a turd...
BAM! (shhhh)
SS Hall of Fame

Dan Warna wrote:if a st kilda player had 'substance abuse' issues do you think he'd be the sheltered character cousins is?
If it was Nick Reiwoldt, then yes. If it was Jason Blake, then no.

"Everything comes to he who hustles while he waits"
- Henry Ford