Scores Tied..so extra time now.Pies WIN

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Scores Tied..so extra time now.Pies WIN

2 five quarters I believe???
Last edited by saintsRrising on Sat 15 Sep 2007 12:38am, edited 1 time in total.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
Gilbert The Great
Club Player

How many times has there been extra time?

Dal_Santos_Gal
Saintsational Legend

Yep 2 five minute halfs plus time on ..

They get a 6 minute break now, time enough for the coaches to come down ... after the first 5 minute half, a 2 minute break and then the 2nd 5 minute half

In Ross Get lost!

I am excited to stay at St Kilda and this is a great result for the Club and all our fans. I’m proud to be part of the Saints and am pleased to be playing football with the Clubâ€
Dal_Santos_Gal
Saintsational Legend

Gilbert The Great wrote:How many times has there been extra time?
once 1994... hawks V Nth I do believe
Last edited by Dal_Santos_Gal on Sat 15 Sep 2007 12:21am, edited 3 times in total.

In Ross Get lost!

I am excited to stay at St Kilda and this is a great result for the Club and all our fans. I’m proud to be part of the Saints and am pleased to be playing football with the Clubâ€
Riewoldting
SS Life Member

Once, 1994. North Melbourne v Hawthorn.

North won.

"To be or not to be" - William Shakespeare
"To be is to do" - Immanuel Kant
"Do be do be do" - Frank Sinatra
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Plus the "extra time " GF...where they played a whole extra 4 quarters :wink:

Riewoldting
SS Life Member

Not to mention the "extra time" Qualifying Final, 1990

West Coast v Collingwood AGAIN

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Great game...with Pies winning

Riewoldting
SS Life Member

Collingwood were excellent tonight.

Lots of young players that took their chances, lots of physical pressure. If Rusling worked out how to hold a mark they would have won by five goals at the end of regular time.

As a Saints fan in Perth, I'm pretty happy to see West Coast knocked out.

And will be good to see the Pies smashed by the Pussies next week.

trueman
Club Player

Riewoldting wrote: As a Saints fan in Perth, I'm pretty happy to see West Coast knocked out.
Arent we all.... :D :D

johnpeterbudgefanclub
Club Player

And will be good to see the Pies smashed by the Pussies next week.
That's ok.....we made it 3 weeks longer then u guys.....is that the answer u wanted????

We win next week its GF week AGAIN..........hahahaha.

meher baba
Saintsational Legend

How can any Saints supporter be happy to see the Pies win?

And they weren't that great: they are overrated. Geelong would have won by 100 points last night.

The only thing to be said for Collingwood - and I hope Lyon was watching - is that Malthouse's match plan is based much more on tackling and going for the ball rather than corralling and retreating and that, when the Pies get the ball, they always have attacking intentions.

But really, to dominate in the clearances and the midfield as the Pies did in the absence of the holy trinity and still be unable to win in normal time is hardly a magnificent effort by any standards: even at Subi.

"It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into."
- Jonathan Swift
Brewer
Club Player

I have to confess I found myself barracking for Collingwood last night. Lord have mercy on me.

-Underdogs
-Victorian
-Proof that investment, secure sponsors and elite training facilities return results, even with an 'ordinary' list
-Not the Eagles.

The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.
saint patrick
Saintsational Legend

Me too :oops: Believe that they will give the Cats a real contest next week whereas the Eagles would have limped to the line and been smashed[have to respect their guts last night given who was missing!]

Have to respect the way the pies are playing and have a lot of time for Thomas,Pendlebury and Didak [the gangster :wink: ]is a pure class!

If the Cats win the Flag I want to see them bloody earn it.Still have that nagging feeling that the wheels could still come off with the weight of expectation and that Collingwood,Port or Hawthorn could destroy the dream!

The Cats team of choice GF opponent would be North but think either Hawthorn or Port will take the Kangas out of the picture.

It ain't over!!!! :twisted:

Never take a backward step even to gain momentum.....

'It's OK to have the capabilities and abilities, but you've got to get it done." Terry Daniher 05

"We have beauty in our captain and we have a true leader in our coach. Our time will come"
Thinline.Post 09 Grand final.
Oh When the Saints
Saintsational Legend

meher baba ....

Is the Collingwood team that won last night still performing at the same level as the Collingwood team that we beat by 59 points last year?

Or will you admit yet that they have improved and are a good side?

They should only play AFL games now when it's raining. Slow games of footy are so much better to watch.
meher baba
Saintsational Legend

saint patrick wrote:The Cats team of choice GF opponent would be North but think either Hawthorn or Port will take the Kangas out of the picture.
If I were Geelong, I reckon I'd prefer the Hawks to the Kangas, but neither pose much of a threat: and nor do the Pies (if they get within 6 goals of the Cats next weekend there will need to be an official inquiry).

Geelong will be steeling themselves for Port. That's the GF I want to see: it ought to be a ripper!!

"It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into."
- Jonathan Swift
meher baba
Saintsational Legend

Oh When the Saints wrote:meher baba ....

Is the Collingwood team that won last night still performing at the same level as the Collingwood team that we beat by 59 points last year?

Or will you admit yet that they have improved and are a good side?
On the whole, I reckon the Pies have been much the same standard of team for about 6 years now.

Perhaps, on average, they are a tiny bit better around the ground than last season: Pendlebury and Goldsack have made big contributions, and Leon Davis and, spasmodically, Cloke have gone up a level.

But I reckon that both the Swans last weekend and the Eagles last night were ripe for the picking. If Collingwood had played the Bulldogs (in 2006 form) last night at the MCG, they would have lost just the same as they did in the EF last year IMO.

The Pies are a borderline top 8 side: making the top 4 has flattered them.

However, as I have said in another post, the Pies under Malthouse are much better at taking their chances than many other teams. We already saw this in the 2002 and 2003 finals series.

They are a team that you always need to put away on the scoreboard. As we have seen this season, if an opponent gets well on top early, the Pies can be in for a thrashing. If they are allowed back into the game (as they were towards the end of the third quarter last night) they are capable of running over the top of just about anyone in the last quarter.

- Jonathan Swift
Oh When the Saints
Saintsational Legend

You're only as good as the scoreboard, and the scoreboard says Collingwood are playing in a Preliminary Final.

They have gone from 13th to an Elimination Final to a Preliminary Final.

That's a nice trend line.

They should only play AFL games now when it's raining. Slow games of footy are so much better to watch.
meher baba
Saintsational Legend

Oh When the Saints wrote:You're only as good as the scoreboard, and the scoreboard says Collingwood are playing in a Preliminary Final.

They have gone from 13th to an Elimination Final to a Preliminary Final.

That's a nice trend line.
Well, yes, that's true. However, I would still far rather have our playing list in the medium term than theirs. People talk about our list being ageing and having major weaknesses, but the Pies list is far more flawed IMO.

(On the other hand, I think I would far sooner have their coach and certainly their Club President. But let's not go there in this thread.)

- Jonathan Swift
Oh When the Saints
Saintsational Legend

Agree with you on all counts there MB.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

meher baba wrote:How can any Saints supporter be happy to see the Pies win?

MB...if it is not the saints then it makes little difference to me which other clubs win.

this however does not stop me from time to time enjoying watchinga good game fom time to time where the saints arenot involved.

To me it was a great and exciting finish.

Dal_Santos_Gal
Saintsational Legend

Last night I just wanted the best team to win who had the most chance of beating Geewrong next week.

End of Story for me. Don't care that it is Collingwood... I can't handle the thought of Geelong winning the flag.. its that simple for me

GO the pies !

In Ross Get lost!

meher baba
Saintsational Legend

Dal_Santos_Gal wrote:Last night I just wanted the best team to win who had the most chance of beating Geewrong next week.

End of Story for me. Don't care that it is Collingwood... I can't handle the thought of Geelong winning the flag.. its that simple for me

GO the pies !
If that's your main concern, I'd be putting a lot more faith in Port than in the Collywobbles. (But, now that I've said that, we'll probably have the upset of the season next weekend!!)

- Jonathan Swift
Dal_Santos_Gal
Saintsational Legend

meher baba wrote:
Dal_Santos_Gal wrote:Last night I just wanted the best team to win who had the most chance of beating Geewrong next week.

GO the pies !
If that's your main concern, I'd be putting a lot more faith in Port than in the Collywobbles. (But, now that I've said that, we'll probably have the upset of the season next weekend!!)
I hear what ya saying, if it is a Port - Geelong GF, Then sadly I have to say I will be barracking for port..... yeah yeah I know I will be barracking for an interstate side... I can't help it... I just can't stand geelong..

In Ross Get lost!

saint patrick
Saintsational Legend

Think you are greatly underestimating the 2008 Collingwood Meher.The injection of pace and youth has lifted them a few notches to previous teams.Players like Clark,Goldsack,Pendlebury ,Maxwell and Thomas who I rate very highly compliment the Burns,Buckleys , Clements etc. and Lockyer who is an important link to their structure has been missing for large chunks the last couple of years.

Rusling was well beaten by Chick last night but has a lot of potential and gives them a 3 prong tall forwards which any team will struggle to Hold.Think that Geelong may miss Egan for the first time next week if those 3 click amnd Cloke has a rare night on with his kicking.Hate Didak if you want but he is a true professional and thought the goal in the last quarter was Diacos like..

Have watched them closely this year and believe they are a much tougher side defensively and quicker to boot.Fraser will give them a real lift as well up forward and as Isaid this could stretch Geelong.

Also think Collingwood is the type of mentally strong side that could worry Geelong if they get away to a good start.

The concern is the effect that game and travel will have but they still get a 7 day break..and they will be put in cotton wool

Only takes an injury or two and some lucky bounces and anything can happen

History tells us that they[premierships] are very hard to win..and I see the Cats overconfidence as a possible chinkin their armour...

will be fascinating viewing 8-)

Never take a backward step even to gain momentum.....

'It's OK to have the capabilities and abilities, but you've got to get it done." Terry Daniher 05

"We have beauty in our captain and we have a true leader in our coach. Our time will come"
Thinline.Post 09 Grand final.