HAMMY!!!

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

fonz_#15
SS Life Member

Mr Magic wrote:Why should I feel sympathy for a guy who still has never apologized for his 'substance use'.

If it was so simple to 'kick' your 'substance use' problem by running off to Malibu for a month of Rehab, then why aren't all governments immediately instituting a similar programme to get the tens of thousands of substance users healthy again?

Do you honestly believe he is a reformed individual? This is the same guy who managed to hide his 'substance use' problem, so severe he needed a month of rehab, from drug testers for 3 years! NOT ONE POSITIVE TEST FROM BENNY-BOY. How hard is it for him to test negative still today? He certainly knows all the 'tricks' in passing drug tests - he has the experience at it.
You want to know what he thinks of the whole sorry saga? Check out his new tattoo, as seen on tv last night - 'Such is Life'. What, now he associates himself with Ned Kelly? IMHO he's laughing at all of us because he thinks he can get away with anything. And as for his Club and the AFL, they should all be ashamed of themselves. They have allowed all this. They bear a lot of responsibility.

Why don't we save our sympathy for those that genuinely deserve it, and not this smirking, substance using, gangster idolizing sycophant?

I feel sorry for guys like Chris Judd and Luke Ball who have had their effectiveness curtailed by injury.

I feel sorry for Nathan Brown and Goose who have had shocking broken legs.

I feel sorry for Luke Darcy who has had to retire after 2 knee reconstructions.

Sorry for Benny-boy? No way.
same thing over and over with the cousins issue from you mr.magic..

why do you feel that he owes the football public, or at least you an apology?

how did his drug use harm you?

Robert Harvey- Simply the best
Brewer
Club Player

Personally, I couldn't give a flying feck at a rolling donut whether he apologises or not. It's not about apologies, it's about the character of the guy. Is he the slightest bit remorseful for being such a tosser as to turn up for training ripped off his face (if he turned up at all)? He doesn't look it to me.

He brought his club and the sport into disrepute (more than once) by being an arrogant tosser. He continues to be an arrogant tosser, and yet half the AFL world says 'that's OK Benny boy, as long as you have good skills, then we'll welcome you back with open arms. Oh, you might need to do a little 'rehab dance' and miss a few weeks for the cameras, but we'll make sure you're back on the park in time for finals'.

Would he have done his hammy if he had knuckled under, trained properly and done a full season? We'll never know cos he's a tosser and he didn't.

No sympathy for him at all. If he had wound up with a GF medallion round his neck this year it would have been a disgrace.

The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.
Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

fonz_#15 wrote:
Mr Magic wrote:

Sorry fonz15, I didn't realize I needed your permission to post on a thread? When I joined the Board I obviously missed the rule that said I needed to check with you first.

Now to answer your question.

IMHO he needs to be seen publicly disavowing his substance use because of his 'role model' effect.

Have you not seen or recognized the way he is idolized by the WCE supporters?

What message has he sent to the impressionable kids?

It's o.k. to take 'substances' because even if you do take too much you can always have rehab for a month and then come back better than ever.

Publicly he has not shown one iota of remorse for his actions.

Fonz15, you may think what he has done is o.k., I don't.
Both of us are entitled to voice our own persoanl view on this public forum.

Furthermore, I didn't raise the thread. All I did was respond to it.

Why you felt the need to have a go at me over my post, a day after I made it has me a little puzzled? You don't agree with me - fine.
But to have a go at me because I voice my opinion everytime someone starts a thread on the issue is a bit rich. Isn't the reason the thread is raised is to get opinions?

Are we going to now have a rule that says you can only voice your opinion x number of times on an issue? How many would be fair?
1?
2?
3?
You decide, but remember you will have to live under the same rule.

JeffDunne

I'm convinced some people here argue for the sake of arguing and change their position on issues more often than they change their undies.

Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

JeffDunne wrote:I'm convinced some people here argue for the sake of arguing and change their position on issues more often than they change their undies.
You talking about me/you? :)

JeffDunne

I'm talking about lots of people.

Feel free to point out where I've changed my position if you think I have. :?

Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

JeffDunne wrote:I'm talking about lots of people.

Feel free to point out where I've changed my position if you think I have. :?
Not that I can see but I wasn't sure who you were talking about?

It's just the post came after my response to Fonz15?

In your case and I believe my own, consistancy is apparent.

stinger
Saintsational Legend

meher baba wrote:I know I'll get howled down, but I thought it was a rather sad moment: possibly the last in the career of a brave and exciting player who certainly has some serious personal issues and who has run with the wolves (but there is at least one other player rather closer to home who has not been much better, if at all, and yet I am sure most posters on this forum will be cheering for him if he gets back on the field in 2008).

I know some people think Dennis Cometti is funny, but I thought his lame efforts last night to make the same joke about ice three or four times were rather unnecessary. Full marks to Bruce IMO for just ignoring them until Cometti finally shut up.

Cousins is a sad and somewhat tragic figure IMO. On the whole, I feel sorry for him.

I'll save my hatred for players like GA Snr and Wayne Carey who have exploited and harmed others rather than just themselves.

good post mb...for anyone to get enjoyment out of a player doing a hammy and missing a final is just plain pathetic......

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
fonz_#15
SS Life Member

Mr Magic wrote:
fonz_#15 wrote:
Mr Magic wrote:

Sorry fonz15, I didn't realize I needed your permission to post on a thread? When I joined the Board I obviously missed the rule that said I needed to check with you first.

Now to answer your question.

IMHO he needs to be seen publicly disavowing his substance use because of his 'role model' effect.

Have you not seen or recognized the way he is idolized by the WCE supporters?

What message has he sent to the impressionable kids?

It's o.k. to take 'substances' because even if you do take too much you can always have rehab for a month and then come back better than ever.

Publicly he has not shown one iota of remorse for his actions.

Fonz15, you may think what he has done is o.k., I don't.
Both of us are entitled to voice our own persoanl view on this public forum.

Furthermore, I didn't raise the thread. All I did was respond to it.

Why you felt the need to have a go at me over my post, a day after I made it has me a little puzzled? You don't agree with me - fine.
But to have a go at me because I voice my opinion everytime someone starts a thread on the issue is a bit rich. Isn't the reason the thread is raised is to get opinions?

Are we going to now have a rule that says you can only voice your opinion x number of times on an issue? How many would be fair?
1?
2?
3?
You decide, but remember you will have to live under the same rule.
gee i must have missed the part where i asked you to get my permission to post :roll:

fair enough you have your opinion, and its an opinion shared by a lot of people..

i just dont understand why you feel he should apologise when he hasnt harmed anybody.

if you think i was having a go at you, you obviously looked at it the wrong way, i just wanted you to clarify why you think he owes you an apology.

eppo67
Club Player

Hasn't harmed anybody hey. What about his friends, family and teammates.

Oh and what about the people in the 3rd world who suffer during the production and distribution of drugs around the world every year. What about the 10's of thousands of people murdered every year as a result of the drug trade.

Oh yeah forgot about that but we are just a couple of yuppies doing lines of coke we dont hurt anyone do we??

Get a clue man!!

fonz_#15
SS Life Member

eppo67 wrote:Hasn't harmed anybody hey. What about his friends, family and teammates.

Oh and what about the people in the 3rd world who suffer during the production and distribution of drugs around the world every year. What about the 10's of thousands of people murdered every year as a result of the drug trade.

Oh yeah forgot about that but we are just a couple of yuppies doing lines of coke we dont hurt anyone do we??

Get a clue man!!

i play in a footy side, about 5 of of my teammates take drugs regularly, i am close with 2 of them which makes me a friend methinks. Has it harmed me or our team? NO. can't speak for the families of the boys.

did cousins kill anybody in order to obtain drugs? NO. and you say i need to get a clue :roll:

Iceman234
Saintsational Legend

Gotta say good riddance to bad rubbish.

No sympathy at all for this pathetic spoilt little “Richie Richâ€
Last edited by Iceman234 on Sun 09 Sep 2007 8:27pm, edited 1 time in total.

Iceman234
Saintsational Legend

fonz_#15 wrote:
eppo67 wrote:Hasn't harmed anybody hey. What about his friends, family and teammates.

Get a clue man!!

i play in a footy side, about 5 of of my teammates take drugs regularly, i am close with 2 of them which makes me a friend methinks. Has it harmed me or our team? NO. can't speak for the families of the boys.

did cousins kill anybody in order to obtain drugs? NO. and you say i need to get a clue :roll:
As above, I think you are about 17.

You have no clue.

I deal with ice addicts on an almost daily basis - it's probably a fair bit different to the occasional chooffer on your team at your school.

Major difference.

Wait til you see the real world Fonz.

eppo67
Club Player

Thanks Iceman we know what it is about because of what we do.

I like to take this clown out with me for a few shifts and show him what it all about. He would go home half way through to change his undies.

Iceman234
Saintsational Legend

eppo67 wrote:Thanks Iceman we know what it is about because of what we do.

I like to take this clown out with me for a few shifts and show him what it all about. He would go home half way through to change his undies.
Western suburbs of Melbourne?

! hour!!!!

eppo67
Club Player

Come up for schoolies Iceman I'll show you how your Qld. brothers do it.

Iceman234
Saintsational Legend

eppo67 wrote:Come up for schoolies Iceman I'll show you how your Qld. brothers do it.
8-)

Richter
SS Life Member

Er, guys, you not heard of observer bias?

Like being a respiratory physician and thinking that every time someone gets a cold they end up with a life threatening pneumonia.

Plenty of weekend drug takers out there. Just because you guys work in the field (NB I do too) you can't extrapolate your experience of low-prevalence conditions to the every day world.

Hird... The unflushable one is now... just a turd...
Richter
SS Life Member

fonz_#15 wrote:i play in a footy side, about 5 of of my teammates take drugs regularly, i am close with 2 of them which makes me a friend methinks. Has it harmed me or our team? NO. can't speak for the families of the boys.

Presuming you're not in the Yarra Valley and Mountain District League? I doubt you'd find 5 members of teams there who aren't on drugs (choof mind) :wink:

Hird... The unflushable one is now... just a turd...
satchmo
Saintsational Legend

Richter wrote: Presuming you're not in the Yarra Valley and Mountain District League?
Oy, don't go bagging the Mountain league ! 8-)

*Allegedly.

Bring back Lucky Burgers, and nobody gets hurt.

You can't un-fry things.

Last Post
fonz_#15
SS Life Member

Iceman234 wrote:
fonz_#15 wrote:

Get a clue man!!

As above, I think you are about 17.

You have no clue.

I deal with ice addicts on an almost daily basis - it's probably a fair bit different to the occasional chooffer on your team at your school.

Major difference.

Wait til you see the real world Fonz.

19 mate. Dont condone drug use 1 bit, though. any education on drugs you can give me would be great.

you may just be referring to the real world of hard yakka that you and eppo do each day (or i'm dumn and cant read) but what was your occupation?

i also agree that my mates are far from your average "ice addict" but my original question was the effects on people like us...the general publuc and i dont understand why he should aplogise to us.

fonz_#15
SS Life Member

by all means tell me if i'm wrong, tell me i don't know the effects, and if you feel like it educate me as to why i'm wrong... but don't call me a clown just because i have an opinion (albeit in your opinion wrong)

also my question was why should cousins have to apologise to us (the gen public) because although you have listed others who are effected by his "use of drugs", he doesn't really owe us an apology, and i dont agree with the role model garbage.

Brewer
Club Player

Occasional drug use is one thing. I don't condone it, but I understand it. When I was younger I did sh*t too. the point was, it was 'recreational', I could handle it, and I didn't understand why 'society' made such a big deal about it.

Then I grew up. I realised that I wasn't functioning properly in general. I saw that some of my peers were faring even worse than me, and worst of all, I saw people that I cared about and even looked up to, getting seriously f*cked up because they were more prone to overindulgence than I was.

I took it as a wake up call and decided that it wasn't an important enough part of my lifestyle to be a regular drug user. I now look at people who use drugs regularly and who say 'they're not hurting anyone' as simply being too young or too immature to know any better. If you are smart, or lucky, you will grow out of it.

So I understand people taking drugs occasionally. I also understand why the AFL has a policy of 'rehabilitation' when it finds positive results for illicit drugs. But let's not kid ourselves, this sort of 'rehabilitation' is really just a euphemism for 'a slap on the wrist'. Nobody who takes illicit drugs occasionally truly needs 'rehabilitation' - they just need to be strongly discouraged, given a bit of a stern talking-to and some inconvenient conditions to adhere to and hopefully they will see the error of their ways and try to keep their nose a bit cleaner in the future.

Benny boy is a totally different kettle of fish. This guy was using drugs so often that he couldn't turn up to training straight. I still don't believe he was a 'junkie' as such, he was just a heavy user / party animal that was too stupid to know any better. That is not, IMO, the same as a player who tests positive in an unlucky random test because he happened to indulge on the weekend. It is also not the same as the junkie in the gutter, yet oddly enough this is what he tries to portray as it is his only chance for any sympathy.

The whole US rehab saga was smoke and mirrors IMO. I've seen people that truly need rehab and trust me, they look like they need it. They certainly couldn't play footy. Benny just looked like an arrogant tosser who was too stupid for his own good. And just like a convicted psychopath who fakes remorse in his bid for parole, Benny's only course of action was to look contrite and get 'rehabilitated', then maybe everyone would pat him on the back for slaying his demons and welcome him back to the family.

Trouble is, he didn't even do a half-decent job of acting contrite and most of us can see it all for the BS it is.

The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.
eppo67
Club Player

Your probably a nice guy fonz I shouldn't (maybe) have called you a clown.

But b/c of my job and the damage I see drugs do on so many levels and the untold cultural and economic damage it does to so many countries and its more vunerable peoples, I get very angry when people cop out with this bulls.. I'm not doing any harm to anybody.

That is complete crap they are part of an industry that results in more suffering, crime and high level corruption around the world than any other thing I can think of.

Thats the problem. People think its just a personal choice thing, but our selfish western culture relates this personal choice bulls.. to everything. Its a complete cop out. I can say this b/c I have been driving around in a white car with blue writing for as long as you have been on the planet. And me and guys like the Iceman have deal with the by product of this evil everyday.

So when one of the people you love gets a knife stuck in his or her throat for $50 for some junkie to get his next hit dont tell me that your friends are not part of it because they are. They are a part of the whole drug cycle. This 'I'm not harming anyone' is a load of crap they are part of the whole drug cycle whether they want to believe it or not.
Last edited by eppo67 on Sun 09 Sep 2007 11:01pm, edited 1 time in total.

fonz_#15
SS Life Member

thanks brewer great information..