Barry Mitchell Anyone?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

peter lockwood
Club Player

Barry Mitchell Anyone?

In the latest Inside Football it is said that Barry Mitchell and Libba are going to be given the arse from the blues and that Ross would probably take Barry as an assistant for us.
What does everyone think of him, considering he obviously didnt have a great relationship with Pagan.Will he be a good get or a disruptive influence?

SaintWodonga
Club Player

Re: Barry Mitchell Anyone?

peter lockwood wrote:In the latest Inside Football it is said that Barry Mitchell and Libba are going to be given the arse from the blues and that Ross would probably take Barry as an assistant for us.
What does everyone think of him, considering he obviously didnt have a great relationship with Pagan.Will he be a good get or a disruptive influence?
I'd rather a St Kilda player in the coaches box. I think Barry has good credentials, just worried about his public fallout.

Tony Lockett kicks 10 goals

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4v4ZQJHjlvM
Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

Re: Barry Mitchell Anyone?

SaintWodonga wrote:
peter lockwood wrote:In the latest Inside Football it is said that Barry Mitchell and Libba are going to be given the arse from the blues and that Ross would probably take Barry as an assistant for us.
I'd rather a St Kilda player in the coaches box. I think Barry has good credentials, just worried about his public fallout.
Wasn't the fallout due to Mitchell being asked to present a proposal to the Carlton Board to coach them and Pagan taking exception to it?

GrumpyOne

He'd be a bloody good get. Very good working with and developing younger players. Good football nous. None of this Mitchell/Pagan thing was of his doing. Shafted good and proper by Kernahan and his cronies.

They can keep Libba though.

Stephen Theodore
SS Hall of Fame

SaintWodonga wrote: I'd rather a St Kilda player in the coaches box. I think Barry has good credentials, just worried about his public fallout.

Agree with that

TheBabyBlues
Club Player

Many rumours about Mitch and what is happening with him at years end.

Yes him and Pagan didn't get along. Yes that was mainly from Pagans end as he did have a sook that Mitch nearly stole his job. As a result he was dropped as an assistant and remained in a 'player development role' or something equally as contrived. It meant he coached the Bullants and stayed tight with the kids.

Many argued that he should've been completely axed from carlton despite him not being the instigator in the battle. Based on the fact that he was actually kept shows that he is rated highly by some people at carlton.

He has been around the club longer than anyone else IIRC. He gets on great with the kids and as done wonderful things with the bullants despite Pagan claiming we have no list to work with. This year he has pretty much had a team of 18yo's though and our results have suffered.

I dont think he will ever be a senior coach as he seems to lack the x factor that the top coaches have. But he makes a great assistant. Gets on with players well and can work well within the team environment (how he plays the kids in the ants to benefit carlton). If it wasn't for the Pagan factor, he would be highly rated.

Having said that, he did disappoint with his presentation for the top job and there are question marks over his tactical nouse. Seems to be a bit old school and shouts at players when things dont go right.

He worked with Elshaug and Mulkearns with us, so will fit in well with them there. Don't expect him to be a supercoach in waiting, but expect him to give his all and do the job required.

Libba...never got on with Pagan. Despite doing well with the Box Hill Hawks, hasn't really impressed since his time at carlton.
Mitchell > Libba.