Andrew Basset tees off

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

D.B.Cooper
SS Hall of Fame

Re: Andrew Basset tees off

Killa wrote: Wed 02 Oct 2024 10:38am Look at the impact of Father/Son selections, obtained by having numerous otherwise unused late Draft Picks, on the recent Premiership sides.

In fact, not only recent.

Basset is absolutely correct.

The AFL "Rules" are dictating where Premierships are going.
I’d suggest no one is arguing the validity of Bassets comments.

I also don’t think most have an issue with father/ son or academy selections, as long as a market price is paid for the player.

Don’t give up a handful of 2nd and 3rd round picks for a top 5 rated player.

Be forced to pay market price to secure the player or another club gets him.

Example: if he’s rated #10 by draft expert panel and you have pick #15 you would be called to give #15 plus your second or third round choice to secure the player or a future pick, or trade up in the current draft.

As long as you pay market value I think everyone would accept it.

There's only one rule in the jungle! When the LYON's hungry, he eats!
Otiman
Saintsational Legend

It was clear last year that the gold coast trading up for points was definitely in favour of those clubs trading with them.

You're spot on in that the points system is not a real reflection of value.

St Dave
Club Player

D.B.Cooper wrote: Wed 02 Oct 2024 10:34am
St Dave wrote: Wed 02 Oct 2024 9:42am
Dis Believer wrote: Wed 02 Oct 2024 9:12am
D.B.Cooper wrote: Wed 02 Oct 2024 8:19am
Dis Believer wrote: Wed 02 Oct 2024 1:01am Some of questions for all of those advocating that we should just shut up and take it up the arse from the AFL!!

How many selections did the Gold Coast get in the top 25 draft picks last year?

And how many of those players did we have access to?

How many selections are the reigning premiers expected to get in the top 20 draft picks this year?
Who has suggested we should shut up and take it up the arse?
Anyone intimating that we should "be quiet" and accept the status quo because it isn't the right "look" for our president to call out the bulls***!
I don't see anyone accepting the status quo? The parameters are already changing and we don't know how they play out yet.
I agree St Dave, I don’t see any poster suggesting we shut up and accept the status quo.

In my humble opinion, the President was playing to the crowd of the Saints faithful using rhetoric to garner support.

The President is a successful, smart businessman.
He will know that has no positive effect on the Saints position with the AFL, other than if it was targeted toward the Battle compensation.

The President knows private robust discussion with the AFL heavies behind closed doors will receive a better outcome that grandstanding at the B&F.

IMO opinion that was merely for the supporters benefit, and if people want to buy into that or think it’s sticking to the AFL then that is their prerogative.
Yep, and because of who he is talking to the cynic in me thinks he is just setting up his excuse for if we don't achieve over the next few years. Ignoring whatever clubs like Freo, Geelong, Hawks, Port, etc achieve in that time.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Otiman wrote: Tue 01 Oct 2024 8:10pm It's pretty obviously pointed at the AFL in preparation for the Battle compo pick selection. If it is not band 1, we can keep the tirade going. Basset is doing absolutely the right thing, which is to be the squeaky wheel. He is calling for sympathy knowing the AFL is a PR based organisation right now.

The immediate AFL response on academies shows it's working.
Yes, I’m glad someone is speaking for St Kilda. All we ask is a level playing field.

The G Train Legacy
Club Player

SaintPav wrote: Tue 01 Oct 2024 8:26pm
Otiman wrote: Tue 01 Oct 2024 8:10pm It's pretty obviously pointed at the AFL in preparation for the Battle compo pick selection. If it is not band 1, we can keep the tirade going. Basset is doing absolutely the right thing, which is to be the squeaky wheel. He is calling for sympathy knowing the AFL is a PR based organisation right now.

The immediate AFL response on academies shows it's working.
Agree, it’s most likely a tactical move on Basset’s part.

He’s playing a long game.
Indeed it is, as it has been every time Ross has opened his mouth about it. In the immediate future it's about the Battle compo.

The G Train Legacy
Club Player

B.M wrote: Wed 02 Oct 2024 12:16am Pick your battles

This one was a massive sook
If this draft is as good as they say, then the compo for Battle is a battle you need to pick.

saintbob
SS Life Member

Embarrassing, I wonder what he’ll say if Roo’s 3 boys turn out to be stars and we get first crack at them under the FS rule.

Dis Believer
Saintsational Legend
Location: The terraces at Moorabbin, in the pouring rain.......

saintbob wrote: Wed 02 Oct 2024 11:20pm Embarrassing, I wonder what he’ll say if Roo’s 3 boys turn out to be stars and we get first crack at them under the FS rule.
It will be well overdue, but there is no reason we should not pay a fair price for them. The benefit is supposed to be getting to draft the father/son prospect, it is not supposed to be getting a top 5 draft pick basically as a free hit and still getting your regular first round pick as well!!

Bassat has never said there shouldn't be father/son selections, all he has said is that the ridiculous gaming of the system in terms of draft price has to stop!

The heavy metal artist formerly known as True Believer!
IF you look around the room and can't identify who the sucker is, then it's probably you!
Banger9798
SS Life Member

The G Train Legacy wrote: Wed 02 Oct 2024 6:51pm

If this draft is as good as they say, then the compo for Battle is a battle you need to pick.
I think all that his speech has done is to make it easier for the AFL to dud us on the compo.
No-one will be on our side , in fact they will be every other club wanting us to get slapped down because of it.
Terrible timing.

The Artist formerly known as Fugazi
Banger9798
SS Life Member

I think all that his speech has done is to make it easier for the AFL to dud us on the compo.
No-one will be on our side , in fact there will be every other club wanting us to get slapped down because of it.
Terrible timing.

The Artist formerly known as Fugazi
Yorkeys
Saintsational Legend

Banger9798 wrote: Thu 03 Oct 2024 3:51pm

No-one will be on our side , in fact there will be every other club wanting us to get slapped down because of it.
Terrible timing.
That would rather prove ABs point?
Arbitrary discretion exercised to favour northern and larger clubs.
No one seems to be arguing ABs points are wrong just that it's foolish to speak the truth. Equalisation is a joke most go along with.

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

Wouldn’t this be fixed through an odd extra pick at clubs that benefitting from the system

Saints58
Club Player

The AFL and the northern clubs get there noses out of joint because we didn't roll over again and again like we used to.

We are not there to make friends we are there to do get the best for the St. Kilda football club and if that means speaking the truth well so be it.

After what GC did last season with there academy selections even WC, and the SA clubs were not happy.

All the clubs have access to each others academes up to pick 40 except but this rule is not the same for the GC if it were that would be a level playing field, it should be back to pick 20 then the team that puts in the time and resources into there academy player should get preference.

The G Train Legacy
Club Player

Banger9798 wrote: Thu 03 Oct 2024 3:51pm

Terrible timing.
I don't think it has made it easier. I would suggest that if we only get a pick in the 20s for Battle, then most reasonable pundits would objectively think we were dudded.

The AFL may point to the increased salary cap and changing thresholds to justify such a decision. The trouble is, they are not transparent about how they make the decision.

So no excuse they offer will be credible. At the end of the day, they will not be able to justify a pick in the 20s for an elite tall defender (one of the competition's best) when such players are rare and in demand; one with a long term well paid deal and who has just finished 3rd in his Best & Fairest. In comparison to North Melbourne getting Pick 3 for Ben McKay. Simply irreconcilable!

Whether the criteria has changed or not, the AFL has no chance of looking fair, because the process is not transparent.

When faced with that, the best strategy for the Club, is to apply pressure and exploit the weakness in the AFL's position.

SydneySainter
SS Hall of Fame

I liked it. I’m sick of being good AFL citizens and just taking it up rear end.

The timing is interesting regarding Battle. Maybe the writing is on the wall that we’re going to get shafted on the compo pick and the club is having a behind-the-scenes crack.

Although I do agree with Hanners somewhat, in the our football department under Finnis made an absolute meal of a decade worth of recruiting. Therefore, we can cry foul play and although it’s warranted, we badly need to address our legacy of recruitment blunders.

Bad management is bad management