Andrew Basset tees off

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

bobmurray
Saintsational Legend

Re: Andrew Basset tees off

Bassat's nickname was Fred but from now on i'm calling him Mona.

The list changes for 2025 have begun, always an interesting time for an avid supporter.
SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

St Dave wrote: Tue 01 Oct 2024 4:33pm
SaintPav wrote: Tue 01 Oct 2024 2:15pm I think Basset would suggest we don’t get an ice cream in your irrelevant example.

😂
Lol woosh. That's why I said 'feels like' because it is the vibe not a 1 to 1 example. I understand if you have issues with analogies though so I can spell it out for you.

The point was the rules have changed, but we are still complaining. If we wait a little bit it might not be so unfair anymore, but we can't just be patient so we are still having a sook like a child.
There's a difference between "manning up" or taking personal responsibility for things within your control, as in your banal ice cream example, and situations that produce unfair and distorted outcomes due to factors outside your influence, such as drafting rules that give only certain teams access to player talent.

Therefore, your analogy is not useful in describing what is actually happening regarding systemic unfairness. This is an issue you have also commented on in another thread about the concept of "wokeness".

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
Saints58
Club Player

Its about time one of our Presidents told the AFL about how it is.
But I really think the AFL does not give a F@#& about the Saints and our situation.
Unless we get support from the other clubs or wider footy community its not going to make any difference, but I hope I am wrong.
It will be interesting to see if the AFL will try and punish us with fixturing and compo picks for 2025 season.

kell
Club Player

Well done, Pres. Basset. I agree it is about time. Get into them!!!!! I doubt there would be any consequences, and if there were, they would substantiate the system's corruption.

RL and others have alluded to the issue. We are not trading on a level field. It makes you wonder: What is the point of supporting a team in the competition when the AFL constantly has its thumb on the scales, favouring other teams year after year? The AFL, by its constitution, has a single purpose: promoting the game of AFL. In this context, it's not far-fetched to conspire and conclude that the AFL favours having a perennial underdog team such as the Saints.

St Dave
Club Player

SaintPav wrote: Tue 01 Oct 2024 6:05pm
SaintPav wrote: Tue 01 Oct 2024 2:15pm I think Basset would suggest we don’t get an ice cream in your irrelevant example.

😂
Lol woosh. That's why I said 'feels like' because it is the vibe not a 1 to 1 example. I understand if you have issues with analogies though so I can spell it out for you.

The point was the rules have changed, but we are still complaining. If we wait a little bit it might not be so unfair anymore, but we can't just be patient so we are still having a sook like a child.
There's a difference between "manning up" or taking personal responsibility for things within your control, as in your banal ice cream example, and situations that produce unfair and distorted outcomes due to factors outside your influence, such as drafting rules that give only certain teams access to player talent.

Therefore, your analogy is not useful in describing what is actually happening regarding systemic unfairness. This is an issue you have also commented on in another thread about the concept of "wokeness".
Oh, you have a woke bee in your bonnet. Is that why you are now bringing up other threads? Sorry if my comments there (whatever they were) triggered you. I can only assume that is the case given you are responding so strongly to what I thought was a pretty basic analogy.

I don't know why you are bringing up "manning up" or taking responsibility. My analogy was about the actions of a child who can't be patient (the rules around matching points have been changed remember). I don't know if you just forgot but Basset had a go earlier in the year about this unfairness (which I broadly agree with), the AFL announced they were changing some of the parameters, but before we can see how they really impact he is still complaining. It was only about patience.

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

St Dave wrote: Tue 01 Oct 2024 7:13pm

😂

Oh, you have a woke bee in your bonnet. Is that why you are now bringing up other threads? Sorry if my comments there (whatever they were) triggered you. I can only assume that is the case given you are responding so strongly to what I thought was a pretty basic analogy.

I don't know why you are bringing up "manning up" or taking responsibility. My analogy was about the actions of a child who can't be patient (the rules around matching points have been changed remember). I don't know if you just forgot but Basset had a go earlier in the year about this unfairness (which I broadly agree with), the AFL announced they were changing some of the parameters, but before we can see how they really impact he is still complaining. It was only about patience.
Triggered?

What are you talking about?

I’m pointing out that apart from your simple and useless analogy, you sound like a hypocrite.

Good to read that you broadly agree about the unfairness.

Go listen to Basset’s entire speech before commenting.

St Dave
Club Player

SaintPav wrote: Tue 01 Oct 2024 7:54pm

😂

Triggered?

I’m pointing out that apart from your simple and useless analogy, you sound like a hypocrite.

Lol mate, you were the one who brought up "wokeness" from some comment I made who knows how long ago. Clearly whatever it was stuck in your head and you have been stewing on it since.

I appreciate you agree it was a simple analogy, pity I had to spell it out for you twice but hopefully you got there in the end.

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

St Dave wrote: Tue 01 Oct 2024 8:02pm

😂

Triggered?

Lol mate, you were the one who brought up "wokeness" from some comment I made who knows how long ago. Clearly whatever it was stuck in your head and you have been stewing on it since.

I appreciate you agree it was a simple analogy, pity I had to spell it out for you twice but hopefully you got there in the end.
Whatever you say, Dave.

Good to see that you now “broadly agree” about the unfairness.

😂

Otiman
Saintsational Legend

It's pretty obviously pointed at the AFL in preparation for the Battle compo pick selection. If it is not band 1, we can keep the tirade going. Basset is doing absolutely the right thing, which is to be the squeaky wheel. He is calling for sympathy knowing the AFL is a PR based organisation right now.

The immediate AFL response on academies shows it's working.

SaintWiki
Club Player

chook23 wrote: Tue 01 Oct 2024 1:28pm Focus on our saints is ridicule

President speech has been blasted by the footy world

as a massive whinge

They are laughing at us
We can't sit on our hands just because the privilaged club's supporters.will grandstand and throw their acquired entitlements in our faces. SEN commentators are having a field day too. It's not just St Kilda supporters that notice the lack of anomalies in what is supposed to be a fair and professional organisation.

The subject has finally been bought to the surface - somebody had to do it.

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Otiman wrote: Tue 01 Oct 2024 8:10pm It's pretty obviously pointed at the AFL in preparation for the Battle compo pick selection. If it is not band 1, we can keep the tirade going. Basset is doing absolutely the right thing, which is to be the squeaky wheel. He is calling for sympathy knowing the AFL is a PR based organisation right now.

The immediate AFL response on academies shows it's working.
Agree, it’s most likely a tactical move on Basset’s part.

He’s playing a long game.

St Dave
Club Player

SaintPav wrote: Tue 01 Oct 2024 8:07pm
St Dave wrote: Tue 01 Oct 2024 8:02pm

😂

Triggered?

Whatever you say, Dave.

Good to see that you now “broadly agree” about the unfairness.

😂
Happy for your explanation of why you got so worked up about an old thread. Maybe you just had a bad day and lashed out.

Yeah, if you actually want to talk substance, as I said when this was being discussed earlier in the year (though clearly not as memorably as whatever the woke comments were), the academies are good for getting players in to the game from non-AFL dominated areas. I would prefer they were AFL academies rather than clubs, but I understand why families getting their 14 or whatever year olds in to these systems might want some assurance they were likely to stay local either way. They were clearly getting them too cheaply though so the points system needs to be addressed and it has been, we will see if it is enough or needs some more tinkering.

Dave McNamara
Saintsational Legend
Location: Slotting another one from 94.5m out. Opposition flood? Bring it on...! Keep the faith Saintas!

As a romantic, as far as I'm concerned, playing one game is good enough to qualify for father n' son.
And I'd extend that back as far as grandfather n' son.

Automatic. No draft picks needed.

And if some clubs gain a windfall, then that's their good luck.

Same for a club's academy players. You develop them, then they're yours.

That said, whilst I disagree with the Pres' on this particular topic, I do agree with him standing up to Gestapo HQ.

But, it seems a case of damned if you do, damned if you don't, with some of our supporters.

I've lost count on here of the number of times over the years that posters have moaned when our President of the day didn't stand up over our club being shafted... "Fat Eddie would never had stood for that..."

Give 'em hell Fred! :twisted:

It's Dave, man. Will you open up? I got the stuff with me! -------Who?
Dave, man. Open up ------------------------------------------ -----Dave???
Yeah, Dave. ---------------------------------------------------------Dave's not here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QOiG1hAr ... detailpage
skeptic wrote: Tue 30 Jan 2024 8:07pmCongrats to Dave McNamara - hereby dubbed the KNOWINGEST KNOW IT ALL of Saintsational
:mrgreen:
B.M
Saintsational Legend

Pick your battles

This one was a massive sook

Otiman
Saintsational Legend

B.M wrote: Wed 02 Oct 2024 12:16am Pick your battles

This one was a massive sook
Those that bend over get taken advantage of. I'm glad we're not doing that anymore.

magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

I like a President who is passionate about the club. You can call him a whinger, Maguire made an art form out it, but the squeaky wheel gets the oil. I totally agree with barring Battle from the B&F. He doesn't give a f*** about the Saints because he took a pay cut to go to the Hawks.
Last edited by magnifisaint on Wed 02 Oct 2024 2:39am, edited 1 time in total.

Posting 20 years of holey crap!
Dis Believer
Saintsational Legend
Location: The terraces at Moorabbin, in the pouring rain.......

Some of questions for all of those advocating that we should just shut up and take it up the arse from the AFL!!

How many selections did the Gold Coast get in the top 25 draft picks last year?

And how many of those players did we have access to?

How many selections are the reigning premiers expected to get in the top 20 draft picks this year?

The heavy metal artist formerly known as True Believer!
IF you look around the room and can't identify who the sucker is, then it's probably you!
realdeal
Club Player

We've been crying out for this kind of conversation for years..

He should've also spoken about our lack of proper blockbuster games but maybe thats for next time.

We're treated like a welfare/minority group that gets drip fed materials whilst the rich get richer instead of allowing us the build and sustain ourselves.

Then when we complain they patronise us and bully. They want us to be meek and fall into line despite the inequitable playing field.

Basset has now created a target on himself, we've talked the game, now its time the club backed it up otherwise its just hollow words.

D.B.Cooper
SS Hall of Fame

Dis Believer wrote: Wed 02 Oct 2024 1:01am Some of questions for all of those advocating that we should just shut up and take it up the arse from the AFL!!

How many selections are the reigning premiers expected to get in the top 20 draft picks this year?
Who has suggested we should shut up and take it up the arse?

There's only one rule in the jungle! When the LYON's hungry, he eats!
Dis Believer
Saintsational Legend
Location: The terraces at Moorabbin, in the pouring rain.......

D.B.Cooper wrote: Wed 02 Oct 2024 8:19am
Dis Believer wrote: Wed 02 Oct 2024 1:01am Some of questions for all of those advocating that we should just shut up and take it up the arse from the AFL!!

Anyone intimating that we should "be quiet" and accept the status quo because it isn't the right "look" for our president to call out the bulls***!

The heavy metal artist formerly known as True Believer!
IF you look around the room and can't identify who the sucker is, then it's probably you!
The_Merchant
Club Player

For those saying we are whinging about a rule that has already been changed, the problem is the AFL changed the rule then backed down and delayed it for another year so that they wouldn’t upset Carlton and Brisbane. For the ice cream analogy, one kid is sitting in a bowl of ice cream and the ice cream truck is giving them more free ice cream while we are asking for ice cream and being told there is no ice cream for us and it is ok because next year the other kid will have to pay for his ice cream.

If at first you don't succeed, sky diving is not for you.
St Dave
Club Player

Dis Believer wrote: Wed 02 Oct 2024 9:12am

Anyone intimating that we should "be quiet" and accept the status quo because it isn't the right "look" for our president to call out the bulls***!
I don't see anyone accepting the status quo? The parameters are already changing and we don't know how they play out yet.

St Dave
Club Player

The_Merchant wrote: Wed 02 Oct 2024 9:21am For those saying we are whinging about a rule that has already been changed, the problem is the AFL changed the rule then backed down and delayed it for another year so that they wouldn’t upset Carlton and Brisbane. For the ice cream analogy, one kid is sitting in a bowl of ice cream and the ice cream truck is giving them more free ice cream while we are asking for ice cream and being told there is no ice cream for us and it is ok because next year the other kid will have to pay for his ice cream.
It is good they didn't bring it in a few months out from a draft that clubs have already planned for. I don't know if you remember when they changed the NGA bidding rules but it cost Melbourne Mac Andrew and almost cost us Windy and Owens. It wasn't a good outcome then and it wouldn't magically be right to do it again now.

D.B.Cooper
SS Hall of Fame

St Dave wrote: Wed 02 Oct 2024 9:42am
Dis Believer wrote: Wed 02 Oct 2024 9:12am

I don't see anyone accepting the status quo? The parameters are already changing and we don't know how they play out yet.
I agree St Dave, I don’t see any poster suggesting we shut up and accept the status quo.

In my humble opinion, the President was playing to the crowd of the Saints faithful using rhetoric to garner support.

The President is a successful, smart businessman.
He will know that has no positive effect on the Saints position with the AFL, other than if it was targeted toward the Battle compensation.

The President knows private robust discussion with the AFL heavies behind closed doors will receive a better outcome that grandstanding at the B&F.

IMO opinion that was merely for the supporters benefit, and if people want to buy into that or think it’s sticking to the AFL then that is their prerogative.

There's only one rule in the jungle! When the LYON's hungry, he eats!
Killa
Club Player

Look at the impact of Father/Son selections, obtained by having numerous otherwise unused late Draft Picks, on the recent Premiership sides.

In fact, not only recent.

Basset is absolutely correct.

The AFL "Rules" are dictating where Premierships are going.