Battle

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

bobmurray
Saintsational Legend

Re: Battle

Can't wait for the Free Agency period to come and go, then Battle will be irrelevant and we can all move on.

How can a failed forward be worth $900k per season, the AFL are being reamed by player managers.
Once multiple clubs get burnt by these expensive long term deals, maybe the some sensible balance will return.

The list changes for 2025 have begun, always an interesting time for an avid supporter.
The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

Scollop wrote: Sat 28 Sep 2024 12:48am
The_Dud wrote: Fri 27 Sep 2024 5:34pm Yes, I’m comparing them right now, not their histories. And it seems you agree with me, Steele has dropped off from his peak of a few years ago. I think many forget how good he was, a genuine elite mid who was a game breaker and was picked by many to win a Brownlow.
Whoa!! Hold on there ...I outlined that Steele may have come off where he was, but I never agreed they are level

You initially said they are now level. You rate them equally. I disagreed. I still disagree.

They're not rated equally by opposition clubs or our coaches (with votes for Steele in AFLCA being more than double that of Battle in 2024). There's already evidence for you...but you just conveniently ignore that to stick to your flawed opinion.

Josh Battle is not rated equally by those that matter. It'll be confirmed at The Trevor Barker Medal. I won't bring Brownlow votes into it because you'll claim the umpires only vote for midfielders.
I meant you agreed with me that Steele has dropped off.

How many coaches votes did Dunstan get the year Ratten dumped him?

All posters are equal, but some posters are more equal than others.
The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

B.M wrote: Sat 28 Sep 2024 1:01am Did Tom Stewart, McGovern or Sicily get votes

Battle - is not at the same level as Steele - this year or any other year.

SS player of the Year - as voted by us!
Steele 3rd - 40.5 votes
Battle 6th - 19.5 votes
Is that what we’re using as a measuring stick?

After a hot start the votes from round 7 were 20 for Steele and 15.5 for Battle, by a group I’m saying undervalues him, and just again shows Steele dropping off from a few years ago and as the season went along.

All posters are equal, but some posters are more equal than others.
B.M
Saintsational Legend

Just about every measuring stick comes up with the same conclusion

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

the votes from round 7
That could be a suggestion you could put forward for the FootyWire website to allow extra filters.

Next time anyone wants to compare 2 players they could choose that period. I think it could work :lol:

perfectionist
Saintsational Legend

bobmurray wrote: Sat 28 Sep 2024 1:33am Can't wait for the Free Agency period to come and go, then Battle will be irrelevant and we can all move on.

How can a failed forward be worth $900k per season, the AFL are being reamed by player managers.
Once multiple clubs get burnt by these expensive long term deals, maybe the some sensible balance will return.
How much is Dougal Howard getting, or for that matter, Jimmy Webster?

We will now have about half a premiership backline. Hawthorn will have a complete premiership backline with the addition of Battle.

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

perfectionist wrote: Sat 28 Sep 2024 2:54pm
bobmurray wrote: Sat 28 Sep 2024 1:33am Can't wait for the Free Agency period to come and go, then Battle will be irrelevant and we can all move on.

How much is Dougal Howard getting, or for that matter, Jimmy Webster?

We will now have about half a premiership backline. Hawthorn will have a complete premiership backline with the addition of Battle.
If the Swans can win a GF with:

Jared Crouch, Ben Matthews, Lewis Roberts-Thompson, Craig Bolton, Tadhg Kennelly and Leo Barry - 2005 Premiership team

And

Rhyce Shaw, Ted Richards, Martin Mattner
Alex Johnson Heath Grundy Nick Smith - 2012 Premiership team

I think Wilkie, Howard, NWM, and Sinclair are better. They have the capabilities. We're not far off

Ari Shoenmaker to take Battle's spot and we also need a lock down defender with a good left foot to take Webster's spot.

Anything's possible as long as we have a gun midfield

Dave McNamara
Saintsational Legend
Location: Slotting another one from 94.5m out. Opposition flood? Bring it on...! Keep the faith Saintas!

bobmurray wrote: Sat 28 Sep 2024 1:33amHow can a failed forward be worth $900k per season, the AFL are being reamed by player managers.
That's harsh Bob.

Firstly, 'failed' is far too strong a term, IMHO.

Secondly, in today's footballing market, I reckon that you would be very much "worth $900K per season". :mrgreen:

It's Dave, man. Will you open up? I got the stuff with me! -------Who?
Dave, man. Open up ------------------------------------------ -----Dave???
Yeah, Dave. ---------------------------------------------------------Dave's not here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QOiG1hAr ... detailpage
skeptic wrote: Tue 30 Jan 2024 8:07pmCongrats to Dave McNamara - hereby dubbed the KNOWINGEST KNOW IT ALL of Saintsational
:mrgreen:
bobmurray
Saintsational Legend

Dave McNamara wrote: Sat 28 Sep 2024 5:54pm
bobmurray wrote: Sat 28 Sep 2024 1:33amHow can a failed forward be worth $900k per season, the AFL are being reamed by player managers.
That's harsh Bob.

Firstly, 'failed' is far too strong a term, IMHO.

Secondly, in today's footballing market, I reckon that you would be very much "worth $900K per season". :mrgreen:
Fair points, :lol:

The list changes for 2025 have begun, always an interesting time for an avid supporter.
The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

I say boo him