Jack McCrae

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

B.M
Saintsational Legend

Re: Jack McCrae

He’s only 30

Seriously, with today’s conditioning players

If they are good enough and injury free

Can play to 35

I reckon if his mind is willing Brad Hill could play to 36/37

You see it all sports

Cricketers now go until late 30s and are fit as fk where’s once they were done by 30-32

Tennis players play well into their 30s now when once they were done at 27-28

There is so much earning capacity playing, why would you retire before you were physically unable - with money being the motivation

Dustin Martin is coming back from retirement to play for a meager wage of 400k

Where else would he get that?!

Sanctorum
Club Player

Scollop wrote: Thu 26 Sep 2024 4:40pm
Sanctorum wrote: Thu 26 Sep 2024 4:32pm Even if his role is merely to win the ball in the contests at centre bounces and stoppages to slip quick passes to the other onballers, giving the team first use of the ball to drive it forward, he will prove his worth. This does not require fast leg speed, just fast reflexes, and at 192 cm and 89 kg he has the body size to hold his ground against his opponents.
That's exactly what I 'm afraid of.

You can't have one dimensional players in your team anymore in the modern game. The stand rule and the structure and ball movement and the importance of possession, means you need mids who can apply pressure and cover the ground quickly to prevent uncontested marks.

That's exactly why Bevo had him as 6th or 7th preferred midfielder.

Last post in this thread..I promise
Yes, it's probably been done to death, however if you don't mind I would like to elaborate on a point I made yesterday.

I have previuously mentioned that Beveridge preferred 32 y.o. Tom Liberatore over 30 y.o. Jack Macrae at the centre bounces and stoppages.

But if you look at the way Footscray has set up their midfield his year, Marcus Bontempelli (194 cm) is their tall mid and Liberatore (184 cm) the outside runner.

This possibly explains why 192 cm Macrae came to be out of favour...

I know it's a moot point but I don't believe Macrae at 30 is over the hill - there are plenty of other 30+ aged mids still playing very good football in the AFL, and as I said before, if he allows St Kilda to get first hands on the ball at stoppages he will be a valuable asset.

That ends the case in favour of Macrae :D

"Where there is no hope, it is incumbent on us to invent it.."

Albert Camus (1913-1960) French philospher
Scollop
Saintsational Legend

Sanctorum wrote: Fri 27 Sep 2024 2:57pm
But if you look at the way Footscray has set up their midfield his year, Marcus Bontempelli (194 cm) is their tall mid and Liberatore (184 cm) the outside runner.

This possibly explains why 192 cm Macrae came to be out of favour...
It's not their height.

It's their facial hair. Bont has a beard and Libba has a moustache

You know Bevo has a thing for that. Everyone knows it. Who could forget Bevo's handlebar moustache from a couple of years ago?

Ed Richards has a beautiful mop of red.

I'm surprised you didn't pick it. :lol: couldn't resist responding. Definitely last post in this thread...I promise 🫢