Battle

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Re: Battle

Waltzing St Kilda wrote: Tue 24 Sep 2024 4:56pm
SaintPav wrote: Mon 23 Sep 2024 11:30pm Tim Morrison reckons that compensation will be after first round
As I've said, if we don't get Band One compensation after giving the gane priceless credibilkity ny jumpong multiple ladder positions even though our season was over, then the AFl can get *%^£@! If Band One was a 50/50 proposition before that, then our end of season should have made it a certainty.
Morrison then went on to say he didn’t really know.

🤦

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
B.M
Saintsational Legend

What I find interesting

Luke Ball was forced out by Lyon (had a low ball contract offer) and was bent over in his last two seasons. I thought he should’ve stuck the middle finger up at us!

He was seen as Public Enemy number one

Battle has jumped ship, required player, huge contract offer, no geographical reason to change

But he goes with our blessing?

Good bloke tax???

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

F him

SinCitySainter
Club Player

B.M wrote: Tue 24 Sep 2024 7:19pm What I find interesting

Luke Ball was forced out by Lyon (had a low ball contract offer) and was bent over in his last two seasons. I thought he should’ve stuck the middle finger up at us!

Battle has jumped ship, required player, huge contract offer, no geographical reason to change

Good bloke tax???
The reason Luke Ball was treated as an absolute scumbag was because he said the reason he wanted to leave was because of the way he was treated by Ross, fine I don't like Ross either.
If that is your reason for leaving then the destination is not important as long as it is within Melbourne.
However, since then it has been widely reported that he had been talking to Eddie for months before the Grand Final.
We had other clubs interested in him that were willing to do reasonable trades but he refused to have a medical for any of them and nobody was going to touch him with his medical history without one which meant he could go to the ND and really screw us over.
Collingwood knew that so were happy to low ball the trade, Tyson Goldsack for Ball was a derisory offer.
It was pretty much draft tampering.

I also don't think anyone is saying good onya Josh, most people are pissed with him but it doesn't change the fact that had we kept him it would have only been by massively overpaying as Hawthorn have done.

spert
Saintsational Legend

SinCitySainter wrote: Wed 25 Sep 2024 10:22am

Good bloke tax???
The reason Luke Ball was treated as an absolute scumbag was because he said the reason he wanted to leave was because of the way he was treated by Ross, fine I don't like Ross either.
If that is your reason for leaving then the destination is not important as long as it is within Melbourne.
However, since then it has been widely reported that he had been talking to Eddie for months before the Grand Final.
We had other clubs interested in him that were willing to do reasonable trades but he refused to have a medical for any of them and nobody was going to touch him with his medical history without one which meant he could go to the ND and really screw us over.
Collingwood knew that so were happy to low ball the trade, Tyson Goldsack for Ball was a derisory offer.

I also don't think anyone is saying good onya Josh, most people are pissed with him but it doesn't change the fact that had we kept him it would have only been by massively overpaying as Hawthorn have done.
I think Collingwood were into Ball earlier than he lets on and was happy to go through the motions until he could get there. Ultimately it is pro sport and if Battle wanted to go to another club, then that's his choice and it's no different than getting a job with another company if you decide- it doesn't necessarily mean you go for bigger money, sometimes the culture and prospects of a club or a business are very attractive.

CURLY
Saintsational Legend

SinCitySainter wrote: Wed 25 Sep 2024 10:22am

Good bloke tax???

Correct it was the greatest example of draft tampering you'll see. The AFL of course were desperate to get Collingwood a flag before the compromised drafts allowed it.

NO IFS OR BUTS HARVS IS KING OF THE AFL
The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

The downplaying of Battle and "Well we didn't want you anyway!" crying that's going on now he's left is hilarious.

3rd defender?? Ha! More like our 1B. Check his stats this year compared to Wilkie. Or even better, compare him to Wilkie at the same age.

Massive stuff up by the club to let a required gun player with 6-8 years left just walk away.

Instead of low-balling him we should have had a long term extension locked up halfway through last year before Hawthorn started sniffing around, would have cost less than $900k too.

Now only getting a pick in the 20s for him just rubs more salt into the wound, a big L for our list unless we somehow pull a rabbit out of the hat.

All posters are equal, but some posters are more equal than others.
CURLY
Saintsational Legend

The_Dud wrote: Wed 25 Sep 2024 11:55am The downplaying of Battle and "Well we didn't want you anyway!" crying that's going on now he's left is hilarious.

3rd defender?? Ha! More like our 1B. Check his stats this year compared to Wilkie. Or even better, compare him to Wilkie at the same age.

Massive stuff up by the club to let a required gun player with 6-8 years left just walk away.

Instead of low-balling him we should have had a long term extension locked up halfway through last year before Hawthorn started sniffing around, would have cost less than $900k too.

Now only getting a pick in the 20s for him just rubs more salt into the wound, a big L for our list unless we somehow pull a rabbit out of the hat.
The only stats of any relevance for a key back are one on one contests won/lost. Given that Howard then Wilkie got given the most dangerous of opposition key forwards Battle should be miles ahead.

B.M
Saintsational Legend

Ball checked out?

Had a pretty fair GF for someone who checked out. That’s the biggest load of rubbish I’ve ever heard.

Tampering
He went through to the ND and went at pick 30 - could’ve gone anywhere

The fact that we got zero for him - our fault - offered a second rounder!

We (Ross) fkd that up completely- he treated Ball with contempt and deserved what happened

B.M
Saintsational Legend

Battle is not anywhere near the Level of Wilkie as a key back

Blind Freddy would know that

Just look at the B&F finishes

CURLY
Saintsational Legend

B.M wrote: Wed 25 Sep 2024 12:11pm Ball checked out?

Had a pretty fair GF for someone who checked out. That’s the biggest load of rubbish I’ve ever heard.

Tampering

We (Ross) fkd that up completely- he treated Ball with contempt and deserved what happened
Wouldn't perform a medical or speak to anyone else. Thats draft tampering.

B.M
Saintsational Legend

What a load of Crap

Every player who gets traded has a preferred destination players nowadays nominate clubs

I’d say the handling of L Ball is one of Lyons biggest stuff ups!

CURLY
Saintsational Legend

B.M wrote: Wed 25 Sep 2024 12:24pm What a load of Crap

Every player who gets traded has a preferred destination players nowadays nominate clubs

I’d say the handling of L Ball is one of Lyons biggest stuff ups!
Yep and they don't just walk out leaving you high and dry. Collingwood offered Shannon Cox for Ball what a joke.

B.M
Saintsational Legend

No they didn’t

The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

B.M wrote: Wed 25 Sep 2024 12:13pm Battle is not anywhere near the Level of Wilkie as a key back

Where were their respective finishes in the B&F this year, I haven't seen anything?

All posters are equal, but some posters are more equal than others.
B.M
Saintsational Legend

They offered Pick 30

Max Gawn was pick 34

Killa
Club Player

Ball’s trajectory as a player was derailed by OP which took his ability to cover the ground so he evolved to what he evolved to and where he was not a clean inside handler of the ball, frequently fumbling and costing opportunity

He took that inside mid CV to Collingwood

So yes, on the back of performance Lyon’s rating of him deteriorated - Lyon required run and spread from his mids and Ball did not deliver

Further, Ball had opinion of self and not just on the footy field - he missed his first season to attend education and rated himself accordingly

Did he take instruction?

Draw your own conclusions

I also am critical of Lyon for adding to the edges with who he recruited from other Clubs being role players at best and not attempting to improve our bottom 6 (so critical in Grand Finals) so Eddy, McQualter, Geary etc but they did follow instruction

But he did identify run and spread with skill hence the guy from Essendon bought to St Kilda

The Club has changed since those days as has the game - and Lyon targets ironically what he targeted before - skills, pace and spread

Plus a quality core and where I am suggesting he was not fussed about Battle leaving (by his response to media questioning) because he acknowledges we require a further key defender with good skills and good size (so not caught short against for example the attacking assets of the WB - excuse the pun)

We look to improve by giving support to Marshall, King and Howard plus adding class, pace and spread to our midfield

Whether this is thru improving our List by drafting the next Wilson or recruiting from elsewhere (given available) time will tell

But we have a core of reasonable industry class, a core of promising youth and some adequate performers - plus those still plying their trade at the VFL some of whom who have been given limited exposure to the AFL

This is what Lyon is working with and seeking to improve - and we look for him to succeed

WellardSaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Perth- the best weather in Oz, but the worst rednecks.

saw a pic of Dork's trophy cabinet.

Battle may look at all those and swoon, but they don't belong to him and never will.
He was drafted by us and developed by us.

Kind of like an orphan adopted by Angelina Jolie.
He/she can live a nice lifestyle now, with all the luxury, but they were born in a third-world country and can't deny their heritage. They're African and their DNA is set in stone.
Battle may be part of a Hawks' flag one day, but all his growth came from RSEA Park.

A real Sainter will pledge allegiance to the ❤🤍🖤 and despise the Pies, the Blues, and the Injectors.
Remember one of the 10 Commandments : Thou shalt have no other team before thee
samoht
Saintsational Legend
Location: https://www.amazon.com.au/Fugitive-Sold ... B00EO1GCNK

B.M wrote: Wed 25 Sep 2024 12:13pm Battle is not anywhere near the Level of Wilkie as a key back

Blind Freddy also needs to take into account ...

Battle arrived as (and was initially played as) a forward.
I think Richo moved Battle to the back line in the last half-a-dozen or so games of season 2019 ... thereby helping Battle "find" his position at "CHB."
This was arguably his breakout year, at the tender age of 20 - he immediately looked comfortable in a key defensive position, gaining in confidence and performing at a high level.

But then came 2 years under Ratts, where Battle as a 21 and 22 year old was stuffed around and played as a utility, forward, on the wing, everywhere but his best position (CHB).
Ratts confused the hell out of him before finally moving him back to defence in his final year as coach.

That's 2 years under Ratts where he was not going to feature in the best and fairest - and it wouldn't have done his confidence any good.
Imagine doing that to a young player.
So, Battle had to re-familiarise himself with playing at CHB after a 2 year hiatus (he'd only enjoyed half a dozen or so games at CHB under Richo, we need to remember) when Ratts finally relented.
This year was effectively Battle's 3rd (full) season playing at "CHB"!

B.M
Saintsational Legend

Doesn’t change the fact he is not as good as Wilkie

ace
Saintsational Legend

CURLY wrote: Wed 25 Sep 2024 12:16pm
B.M wrote: Wed 25 Sep 2024 12:11pm Ball checked out?

Tampering

Wouldn't perform a medical or speak to anyone else. Thats draft tampering.
Under instructions of his manager Tampon Connors.

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.

If you are not engaging AI actively and aggressively, you are doing it wrong.
You are not going to lose your job to AI.
You are going lose your job to somebody who uses AI.
Your company is not going to go out of business because of AI.
Your company is going to go out of business because another company used AI.
- Jensen Huang, CEO of NVIDIA
samoht
Saintsational Legend

B.M wrote: Wed 25 Sep 2024 6:27pm Doesn’t change the fact he is not as good as Wilkie
It does explain why he hasn't polled as high in past years (your criticism of him) ...being played out of position, for a large part.

And I didn't rate him elite ... he was rated elite in a number of measures.
Last edited by samoht on Wed 25 Sep 2024 8:16pm, edited 1 time in total.

B.M
Saintsational Legend

Not really, he’s played 3 of the last 5 years as a CHB

samoht
Saintsational Legend

He was still rated elite as a defender/CHB in a number of measures ... I didn't make that part up.

Dave McNamara
Saintsational Legend
Location: Slotting another one from 94.5m out. Opposition flood? Bring it on...! Keep the faith Saintas!

IMO, Battle is being underrated now that he's jumped ship.

Yes, he's undersized for a key position player, but gee, he's been 'pinch hitting' really well for quite a while now. Hasn't been exposed in any serious way. And has also provided good drive out of defence.

Especially given that our last two tall defender draftess are now busts. :( So for key defensive options, we're currenlty left with...
- Cordy. A 'break glass' only player.
- Arie. Not a key defender. Is he even a defender??? And why would you waste his left foot cannon, tying his game down via having to mind a key forward??? Build the bloke's tank, and get him up the ground! As with Sinkers and Naz... you want your best kicks kicking it into the forward 50. :idea:
- The Hammer. Not a defender. Too easily loses his man. He's a key forward who also brings forward pressure, and can pinch hit in the ruck.
- Keeler? Definitley not a defender!!! And what a waste that would be! He must play key forward and on the ball.

Our greatest strength (backline) is at serious risk of being exposed. (Maybe we should insist on the Dockedlands roof being kept open, and hope for a rainy 2025 winter...?)

All that said, if it's true that Josh left 'to secure the financial future of his family', yet, went to the minisoldr's AFL club of choice, for significantly less $$$, then I'd be really really dirty. Stuff you Josh Battle!!!

However, if we insulted him with an initial low ball offer, then I can be more understanding of his move.

But either way, he's a significant loss IMHO.

It's Dave, man. Will you open up? I got the stuff with me! -------Who?
Dave, man. Open up ------------------------------------------ -----Dave???
Yeah, Dave. ---------------------------------------------------------Dave's not here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QOiG1hAr ... detailpage
skeptic wrote: Tue 30 Jan 2024 8:07pmCongrats to Dave McNamara - hereby dubbed the KNOWINGEST KNOW IT ALL of Saintsational
:mrgreen: