Brownlow

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

meher baba
Saintsational Legend

Re: Brownlow

It would have been a travesty if Cripps hadn't won. He certainly was the best player this season, by a fair margin.

But I agree that 45 votes was ludicrous. And even more ludicrous was how much the possession-gatherers dominated the votes this season: more than I can ever remember. The top ten included comparative mediocrities such as Caleb Serong, Adam Treloar, Matt Rowell and Errol Gulden (IMO the clear winner of the prize of most overrated player in the AFL). Meanwhile, far more valuable players like Marcus Bontempelli, Jesse Hogan, Tom Stewart and Charlie Curnow didn't come close. Curnow got a grand total of 2 votes FFS!

The last full forward to kick 100 goals was Lance Franklin in 2008, and he finished 6th in the Brownlow: the winner being Adam Cooney, who was a bit of a plodder IMO. F__k knows what a full forward would need to do to win a Brownlow in the 2020s. And don't get me started on defenders.

"It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into."
- Jonathan Swift
The G Train Legacy
Club Player

King Max wrote: Tue 24 Sep 2024 10:12am Phillipou v Swans and Sharman v Bombers: 10 coach’s votes, 0 Brownlow votes.
Phillipou was obviously best afield in the Swans game. The Coaches votes prove that.

Jacks Back
Saintsational Legend

Sainternist wrote: Tue 24 Sep 2024 1:44pm
darylcowie wrote: Tue 24 Sep 2024 12:51pm The elephant in the Brownlow room hasn't been mentioned yet.
J Hayes one vote vs North!
I was at the game and I hardly noticed him.
Yeah, that was odd. I remember Hazy making a good return and kicking a couple of goals, but I don’t think he was even in our best three, let alone best three on the park. Who knows what goes through the umpires’ heads, eh? Although, it seems obvious that if he wears #2 for Carlton they’ll fawn over him and have a circle jerk when it’s time to give the votes.
Cripps is number 9

As ex-president Peter Summers said:
“If we are going to be a contender, we may as well plan to win the bloody thing.”

St Kilda - At least we have a Crest!
ace
Saintsational Legend

meher baba wrote: Tue 24 Sep 2024 8:19pm It would have been a travesty if Cripps hadn't won. He certainly was the best player this season, by a fair margin.

But I agree that 45 votes was ludicrous. And even more ludicrous was how much the possession-gatherers dominated the votes this season: more than I can ever remember. The top ten included comparative mediocrities such as Caleb Serong, Adam Treloar, Matt Rowell and Errol Gulden (IMO the clear winner of the prize of most overrated player in the AFL). Meanwhile, far more valuable players like Marcus Bontempelli, Jesse Hogan, Tom Stewart and Charlie Curnow didn't come close. Curnow got a grand total of 2 votes FFS!

The last full forward to kick 100 goals was Lance Franklin in 2008, and he finished 6th in the Brownlow: the winner being Adam Cooney, who was a bit of a plodder IMO. F__k knows what a full forward would need to do to win a Brownlow in the 2020s. And don't get me started on defenders.
Winning the Brownlow was a walk in the park for Plugger. He just walked all over his opponents.

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.

If you are not engaging AI actively and aggressively, you are doing it wrong.
You are not going to lose your job to AI.
You are going lose your job to somebody who uses AI.
Your company is not going to go out of business because of AI.
Your company is going to go out of business because another company used AI.
- Jensen Huang, CEO of NVIDIA