Ivan Soldo nominates St Kilda

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

TimeToShineFellas
SS Hall of Fame

Ivan Soldo nominates St Kilda

SAINT-LEE
Club Player

Re: Ivan Soldo nominates St Kilda

I'm 110% for it!

IF he doesnt cost us the world.

Romo is incredible but his tap work is pure rubbish.

Soldo is no where near as mobile or a forward threat as Romo. Soldo is a better tap out & percentages to mids advantage ruck. If we can play both with Soldo off the bench ( no subs next year) than we could have another strong Ryder/Romo type ruck duo.

Whilst Heath or Keller aren't yet up for it ( if ever) we really need ruck support.

Dave McNamara
Saintsational Legend
Location: Slotting another one from 94.5m out. Opposition flood? Bring it on...! Keep the faith Saintas!

This makes little sense to me.

From Soldo's pov:
The bloke has another year on his contract, yet, he wants out because he can't get a game. :? If that's the case, why would he come to St Kilda??? (Hint to you Ivan. How many games did Tom Campbell end up playing for us?)

From St Kilda's pov:
I'm not sure why we'd want him? As good as he was in the VFL, last season, I reckon that Tom Campbell actually hindered Heath and Keelers' development. We really really need those blokes to be playing as our primary ruckmen when at Sandy, and as marking forwards when resting up there. Not Tom Campbell/Ivan Soldo.

Match day back ups for Marshall. We have The Hammer, and hopefully Hayes (really really hope we keep Jack). Oh, and Max King.

And if (heaven forbid) Marshall goes down, then we give Heath a taste of being first ruck, so we can finally get an idea of what he may be able do.

I also want Keeler in there. Key forward and second ruck. (Do not waste him in defence! He's not a defender anyway.) Hopefully he'll pull the finger out, and next season start to show the comp' something of what he can do. Because IMHO, that bloke has more (potential) upside than anyone on our list. Yes. Anyone.

Nas' is the goods. Poe' is now looking the goods too. And if Keeler, Owens and Collard can get their acts together... we'll win flags! Yes, they are that talented!

Oh, and if Max King gets his act together too... we'll be unstoppable.

It's Dave, man. Will you open up? I got the stuff with me! -------Who?
Dave, man. Open up ------------------------------------------ -----Dave???
Yeah, Dave. ---------------------------------------------------------Dave's not here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QOiG1hAr ... detailpage
skeptic wrote: Tue 30 Jan 2024 8:07pmCongrats to Dave McNamara - hereby dubbed the KNOWINGEST KNOW IT ALL of Saintsational
:mrgreen:
B.M
Saintsational Legend

He is a massive Gumby

A D Grade ruck at best

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

OMG

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
Rocket
Club Player

He just about doubles Marshall for career and 2024 hit outs …
Like to see stats Hitout to advantage. Agree with comments re Marshall and hit outs. Sub par. Which is know doubt why they are looking at Soldo.
we got detroyed in centre clearance all year. Lyon has made this area as key.

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

Dave McNamara wrote: Mon 23 Sep 2024 6:53pm This makes little sense to me.

From Soldo's pov:
The bloke has another year on his contract, yet, he wants out because he can't get a game. :? If that's the case, why would he come to St Kilda??? (Hint to you Ivan. How many games did Tom Campbell end up playing for us?)

From St Kilda's pov:
I'm not sure why we'd want him? As good as he was in the VFL, last season, I reckon that Tom Campbell actually hindered Heath and Keelers' development. We really really need those blokes to be playing as our primary ruckmen when at Sandy, and as marking forwards when resting up there. Not Tom Campbell/Ivan Soldo.

Match day back ups for Marshall. We have The Hammer, and hopefully Hayes (really really hope we keep Jack). Oh, and Max King.

And if (heaven forbid) Marshall goes down, then we give Heath a taste of being first ruck, so we can finally get an idea of what he may be able do.

I also want Keeler in there. Key forward and second ruck. (Do not waste him in defence! He's not a defender anyway.) Hopefully he'll pull the finger out, and next season start to show the comp' something of what he can do. Because IMHO, that bloke has more (potential) upside than anyone on our list. Yes. Anyone.

Nas' is the goods. Poe' is now looking the goods too. And if Keeler, Owens and Collard can get their acts together... we'll win flags! Yes, they are that talented!

Oh, and if Max King gets his act together too... we'll be unstoppable.
Great post Dave. I agree with 95% of your analysis

I have argued against us picking up Mcrae. I wanted the club to take the slow and steady road and pick as many talented youngsters and take advantage of the draft before Tasmania comes into the competition.

However...if the coach is genuinely trying to win the flag (and not just save face for the next two years) then why get 1 senior player...why not get 3 senior players!!

We know how Lyon thinks - he wants experience to support this current group of senior mature players.

It's a huge risk... it's unreasonable to expect St Kilda to come from nowhere and make a Grand Final in the next 2 years, but ...if they're going down the path of 'why not us' AND 'let's top up and go for broke'...then don't be halfarsed about it.

It's going to feel a little similar to the end of 2020 when we we traded in Crouch and Higgins plus Chip Frawley, Sean McKernan, and Paul Hunter. Most fans were thinking at that time that it was the right move. We made a Semi final in 2020 and we had the potential to go all the way that year.

Ivan Soldo or someone of his ilk is needed if they recruit senior guys like Mcrae and Tomlinson.

I also feel like Rowan needs some relief in about 4 or 5 games a year.

Not that RoMa can't play 24 games as the full time ruckman, but because I think he isn't suited to a handful of crash and bash ruckmen (GWS's Briggs, the Crows Reilly O'Brien, Dockers Darcy, Lions McInerney etc.) and we need a different option for these handful of games.

The club knows which game and which opposition Marshall has struggled against, so we could definitely use a big bloke like Soldo

I'd still play Rowan in all games if he's fit and good to go, but perhaps have Soldo go up against these other big blokes as the first ruck.
Last edited by Scollop on Mon 23 Sep 2024 9:09pm, edited 1 time in total.

The Linton Street Flash
Club Player

Haha, “according to the Herald Sun”.

Another great scoop from Zero Content.con

Look again it's the Flash!!
cwrcyn
Saintsational Legend

Marshall had about 5 hit outs to advantage for the season. His centre bounces ruck work is ineffectual with his only contribution to clearances being grabbing the ball and dump kicking it forward.

I love Marshall. He's one of our best, but a tap ruckman he is not.

If Marshall goes down with an injury, we need a big bodied back up.

cwrcyn
Saintsational Legend

People may say "why not Max Heath?"

Ivan Soldo is the same height but 16kg heavier than Heath. That amount of weight really matters

B.M
Saintsational Legend

Hit Outs

Easily the most overrated stat in footy

Don’t correlate to wins, barely to clearances

Give me a ruckman who can win his own footy and take marks - especially contested

ANYDAY

Tall Gumby’s who can win a tap but can’t get a kick are useless

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

cwrcyn wrote: Mon 23 Sep 2024 9:38pm Marshall had about 5 hit outs to advantage for the season. His centre bounces ruck work is ineffectual with his only contribution to clearances being grabbing the ball and dump kicking it forward.

I love Marshall. He's one of our best, but a tap ruckman he is not.

If Marshall goes down with an injury, we need a big bodied back up.
Sense

“Yeah….nah””
B.M
Saintsational Legend

He is about to win our B&F

Was runner up in 2019 (when solo)

What position was he playing again?

Certainly wasn’t as a D Grade forward ruck reliever

Look at positions where we don’t have good players

Soldo is a complete Gumby - if we replace an A Grade ruckman with a D Grader we are imbecilic

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

B.M wrote: Mon 23 Sep 2024 10:19pm Soldo is a complete Gumby - if we replace an A Grade ruckman with a D Grader we are imbecilic
Ross Lyon has a plan

Killa
Club Player

And here comes Scollop

Referencing Lyon of course

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Moods
Saintsational Legend

If we’re going for a ruckman I’d rather we target ned Reeves. Soldo way too slow and takes few marks around the ground

B.M
Saintsational Legend

That’s because he’s s***!

mad saint guy
Saintsational Legend

Rocket wrote: Mon 23 Sep 2024 8:44pm He just about doubles Marshall for career and 2024 hit outs …
Like to see stats Hitout to advantage. Agree with comments re Marshall and hit outs. Sub par. Which is know doubt why they are looking at Soldo.
we got detroyed in centre clearance all year. Lyon has made this area as key.
Huh? Career averages are 22.1 for Marshall and 21.9 for Soldo. This season was 26.4 to 28.

I'm not against getting Soldo because we need a capable backup number one ruck. Can't see him being in the starting team unless Marshall is injured or we have injuries up forward and want Marshall to play there more. But if Ro goes down with a long term injury or we sneak into finals and he's not available, we're a lot better off with Soldo as our starting ruck than Heath.

Otiman
Saintsational Legend

Dave McNamara wrote: Mon 23 Sep 2024 6:53pm This makes little sense to me.
Agree 100% on your points.

The 'role' is the Tom Campbell role, to be a mentor and train some young rucks at VFL level and be a ready injury replacement should the need arise.

Unless we have given him the 'bait and switch' that we'd play two rucks next year.

spert
Saintsational Legend

B.M wrote: Mon 23 Sep 2024 9:58pm Hit Outs

Easily the most overrated stat in footy

Don’t correlate to wins, barely to clearances

Give me a ruckman who can win his own footy and take marks - especially contested

ANYDAY

Tall Gumby’s who can win a tap but can’t get a kick are useless
A good tap ruckman makes a lot of onballers look better- Roma is a great competitor around the ground, but jeez, you need to get the ball onto the chest of mids at centre bounces. McInerney from the Lions just puts the ball on the chest of his mids regularly, generally resulting in good clearances as does Gawn at the Dees

Beno88
SS Hall of Fame

We clearly need a backup ruckman.

Every club needs three ruckmen on their list. We have two, one of which still isn't ready after three years on an AFL list.

Recycled ruckmen come and go, but like Darcy Fort, you never know when you might need them. Remember Brett Cook?

samoht
Saintsational Legend
Location: https://www.amazon.com.au/Fugitive-Sold ... B00EO1GCNK

No to recycled players/list cloggers.

Sounds like Lyon has entered into his final phase of loading us up with ballast, then scuttling and abandoning the ship, ... setting the next coach up for failure.

Sound familiar?
Last edited by samoht on Tue 24 Sep 2024 9:10am, edited 1 time in total.

ace
Saintsational Legend

If Ivan Soldo comes in, it would mean Jack Hayes will not get a contract.

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.

If you are not engaging AI actively and aggressively, you are doing it wrong.
You are not going to lose your job to AI.
You are going lose your job to somebody who uses AI.
Your company is not going to go out of business because of AI.
Your company is going to go out of business because another company used AI.
- Jensen Huang, CEO of NVIDIA
SinCitySainter
Club Player

The perfect Lyon model, a role player/moneyball selection who is simply not good enough.
Soldo wants to leave Port because Sweet is now ahead of him as number one ruck.
Ross has obviously offered him the number one ruck position given he has nominated us.
You don't nominate a team unless they have made a commitment to get you across.

Don't be surprised if Ross attempts to make Roma a full time forward/relief ruck and have Soldo as number one ruck next season.
That should give us some nice high end draft picks when Roma requests a trade at the end of the year.

Mid-table obscurity is the new top 4 didn't you know.
We are going nowhere with the king of the role players as coach at least if you are down the bottom you can load up in the draft.
Being permanently stuck in midtable is the worst position for a poor club like ours to be.