Dermot Brereton

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Rubyjo
Club Player

Dermot Brereton

Sucked in ...we know you stole Josh Battle from us ..it was you ..if warnie was here it would never have happened .

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

Re: Dermot Brereton

?

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

Roughy too

mr six o'clock
Saintsational Legend

More likely his parents as they are apparently big hawthorn fans

In red white and black from 73
Nick DalSanto Claus
Club Player

At a reported 900K for 6 years, they're welcome to him as long as we're adequately compensated (read pick 8 or similar).

The dorks are falling for the oldest trap in the game. Topping up in the belief you're closer than you are.

Sure, Barrass and Battle will plug a couple of holes in the short term, but neither is a champion nor a match winner, and both come at a prohibitive cost that will punch a huge hole their TPP.

I'm more than happy for SOS to put the millions saved because of Battle's exit, toward future acquisitions.

"There is only one thing in the world worse than being talked about, and that is not being talked about."
B.M
Saintsational Legend

How do you put millions away this seasons and next to pay in the future?

The SC is there every year, you must pay up to 95% of it each season.

Yorkeys
Saintsational Legend

B.M wrote: Sun 15 Sep 2024 10:39am How do you put millions away this seasons and next to pay in the future?

So its a salary floor as well as a ceiling?
May not be long before AFL GHQ consider completely taking over player payments and player allocations to clubs, I am sure they think they would be better at it than most clubs, and it would remove the annoying middle steps involving clubs' self determination. Grand finals could then be planned years ahead. Lesser clubs can be given the crumbs of the wildcard draw.

To address the question though, I suppose one technique could be a large number of one year contracts so several players can be swapped/jettisoned for one highly paid individual in any season. Might not do much for camaraderie however.

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Lol

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
Sainter_Dad
Saintsational Legend

Nick DalSanto Claus wrote: Sun 15 Sep 2024 11:36am
B.M wrote: Sun 15 Sep 2024 10:39am How do you put millions away this seasons and next to pay in the future?

I've rolled out the butcher paper and crayons out to draw you a picture, because you clearly can't comprehend simple concepts.

Then again I can't be bothered. Another pathetic attempt to draw me into an argument. I suppose the club's "war chest" is a myth?

It's like this. Say you want to buy a PlayStation for Xmas this year. You have the money for it, but if you buy it you won't have enough to buy the games that go with it.

You buy a cheaper present for yourself instead of a PlayStation this year. With the money you saved by buying a cheaper present this year, you can use the left over dollars from this year to put towards next year, when you can then afford to buy the PlayStation and the games you want.

You don't blow all your savings from one year. You spread out the savings, so you can buy other presents you really want in the future.

I hope this helps. You can thank me later. :roll:
You are both correct. As B.M. has stated - you need to pay 95% of the cap, however the remaining 5% can be banked for future spending - up to an upper limit. The current TPP is $15,788,222 so 5% of this is $790K ish - so it makes for the availability of a splash of cash to aid in the 'buying' of a player - but not millions.

Here is the AFL Discussion and links to the official paper.
https://www.afl.com.au/news/50486/save- ... -announced

“Youth ages, immaturity is outgrown, ignorance can be educated, and drunkenness sobered, but stupid lasts forever.”

― Aristophanes

If you have a Bee in your Bonnet - I can assist you with that - but it WILL involve some smacking upside the head!
bobmurray
Saintsational Legend

Sounds like a chunk of the money we saved on a contract for Battle is going to McCrae. 😂

The list changes for 2025 have begun, always an interesting time for an avid supporter.