Jack McCrae

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

bobmurray
Saintsational Legend

Re: Jack McCrae

According to Jon Ralph, McCrae is on big coin next year,, and, even though the Dullbogs don't rate McCrae highly, Ralph is tipping they'll want
a high-ish draft pick for him. 30 years old and getting slower every year. Interesting trade times ahead.

The list changes for 2025 have begun, always an interesting time for an avid supporter.
skeptic
Saintsational Legend

bobmurray wrote: Wed 11 Sep 2024 1:49am According to Jon Ralph, McCrae is on big coin next year,, and, even though the Dullbogs don't rate McCrae highly, Ralph is tipping they'll want
a high-ish draft pick for him. 30 years old and getting slower every year. Interesting trade times ahead.
Tell them they’re dreaming if that’s the case

He’s an in and out player of a middle tier team that was smashed in a final where they were favourites.

Best behind him

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

Jacks Back wrote: Tue 10 Sep 2024 11:43pm
B.M wrote: Tue 10 Sep 2024 11:13pm Vs StK this year

30pos
15k 15hb
1 goal
7 tackles
5 clearances
129 points
Coaches votes
:lol: Don't tell us how he played against us. That's silly. Tell us how he's played against the best sides.
McCrae did NOT earn coaches votes in Round 6 in that game against us.

It was McCrae's only game this year where he tallied 30 disposals... however if you break down where he got his touches and his effectiveness, you'll see they were meaningless

Game was over at half time

Dogs pantsed us from the get go. McCrae got a bit of it in the first half with 13 touches but they were mostly ineffective disposals. He had 2 inside 50's for Zero score involvements up until half time according to the afl app and just 50m gained

The Dogs continued their dominance in the second half. Here's how the coaches voted in that match

9 Aaron Naughton (WB)
9 Bailey Dale (WB)
5 Marcus Bontempelli (WB)
5 Adam Treloar (WB)
1 Liam Jones (WB)
1 Tim English (WB)
Last edited by Scollop on Wed 11 Sep 2024 8:37am, edited 1 time in total.

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

SAINT-LEE wrote: Tue 10 Sep 2024 7:32pm
Vortex wrote: Tue 10 Sep 2024 6:48pm It's a pass from me.

We should focus on building our midfield through the various drafts and not clog the list with midfields on the wrong side of 30.
I do agree we need youth in the draft 100%, but also very weary of losing too many old heads, we dont want to suffer the fate of the Roos. If Crouch goes, Ross is gone, we lose on/off field mentoring.
It's always that balance isn't it SL, with regards to losing Sebby and Crouch, do you think Ross thinks he didn't really miss them much towards the end of the season when we started playing better, especially when we got Zac back? Do they think they can squeeze another season out of Zac and hope the likes of Pou and Windy are ready to take over full time in the middle? And we also really didn't get a full look at the midfield with Dow helping out either.

My gut feel is we don't need to be desperate and bring in a 30 year old on a 3 year deal.

I'd like to see us be patient and just keep bringing in as many recruits as possible through the drafts to stockpile before Tasmania enters the comp. Even if it means we miss the 8 for a couple more seasons.

wally
Club Player

In 22 Gold Coast traded Jack Bowes plus pick 7 to Geelong for salary dump recieved 3rd rounder

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

Yes but Geelong will get 5 good years out of Bowes. We'd be extremely lucky to get 2 years out of McCrae...and we don't need him

Unless Steele, Clark, Windy, Dow, and Pou are all injured in 2025 and Zak Jones isn't offered a contract, then McCrae isn't required.

We have guys like Stocker, Sinclair, Henry, Wilson, Hastie and Garcia who can all support our mids.

B.M
Saintsational Legend

How does he compare to Hannebery

He played every game this season

Very durable player

Stats are skewed by sub rule

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

B.M wrote: Wed 11 Sep 2024 8:45am How does he compare to Hannebery

He played every game this season

Very durable player

Stats are skewed by sub rule
While our meathead list management and Ross Lyon are contemplating 30 year olds, other clubs are out there scouring the State Leagues and other comps looking for the next Jai Newcombe

We also have 3 blokes in Windy, Hastie and Garcia on our list who can perform the same role as McCrae and support our midfield.

Beno88
SS Hall of Fame

Currently, Jack Steele is the only true midfielder on our list that is better than Jack Macrae.

That's not talking up Macrae, that's just the reality of our list.

If we gave up very little, he'd be a good acquisition as he'd immediately improve our midfield and be a wonderful mentor for the likes of Phillipou, Windhager, Gracia, etc..

nostalgicsaint
Club Player

Think Bevo and his throwing the magnets around has impacted him.

When he is played as a genuine onballer he is a Crouch equivalent and we really missed Crouch this year.

If he comes cheaply (I.e. we don't have to trade more than a 3rd rounder) he would be a handy addition.

Disclaimer: posts are my views and shouldn't be taken as fact, even if I am in fact right.
nostalgicsaint
Club Player

Scollop wrote: Wed 11 Sep 2024 8:30am Yes but Geelong will get 5 good years out of Bowes. We'd be extremely lucky to get 2 years out of McCrae...and we don't need him

Unless Steele, Clark, Windy, Dow, and Pou are all injured in 2025 and Zak Jones isn't offered a contract, then McCrae isn't required.

We have guys like Stocker, Sinclair, Henry, Wilson, Hastie and Garcia who can all support our mids.
Injuries to those players you mentioned cost us finals this year- so it isn't an impossible event.

Disclaimer: posts are my views and shouldn't be taken as fact, even if I am in fact right.
B.M
Saintsational Legend

This obsession with Age is ridiculous

It’s not enough to have a good team, you need a young good team

Last two premierships have been won by clubs with 9 players over 30

Not saying that’s our basket - we should continue to hit the draft. But still remain competitive so in a couple of years we are not North or WC and players (FA’s) will come to us

Brunswicksainter
Club Player

Beno88 wrote: Wed 11 Sep 2024 9:13am Currently, Jack Steele is the only true midfielder on our list that is better than Jack Macrae.

If we gave up very little, he'd be a good acquisition as he'd immediately improve our midfield and be a wonderful mentor for the likes of Phillipou, Windhager, Gracia, etc..
That’s complete nonsense. McCrae is not ahead of windhager, Pou, owens, Sinclair, NAS and potentially even Dow. He has struggled for the last 2 seasons and is not the player he once was,

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Invest in youth. I’d look at Bailey Smith if he were available, though.

Beno88
SS Hall of Fame

Brunswicksainter wrote: Wed 11 Sep 2024 12:31pm
Beno88 wrote: Wed 11 Sep 2024 9:13am Currently, Jack Steele is the only true midfielder on our list that is better than Jack Macrae.

That’s complete nonsense. McCrae is not ahead of windhager, Pou, owens, Sinclair, NAS and potentially even Dow. He has struggled for the last 2 seasons and is not the player he once was,
Not as nonsensical as you may think.

He's clearly ahead of Windhager & Phillipou, averaging more disposals, clearances, marks, and ranking points than both of them in 2024. With age, potential, and experience that will shift, but as it stands right now, Macrae's output is better.

Dow's output is nowhere near Macrae, both across their careers and in 2024. Again, Dow has more scope to improve, but he's not there yet.

I did originally say "true midfielder", which none of Owens, Sinclair or Wanganeen-Milera are.

Macrae's career average is 27 disposals a game. It's 22 disposals a game over 2023-24, and that includes 5 matches as sub.

I'm not saying he's the answer to our problems, but he'd walk into our current midfield.

SinCitySainter
Club Player

Firstly, Sinclair and NAS are not even midfielders.
Secondly, McCrae is clearly ahead of Owens, Windhager and Pou at this stage of their careers but they should all improve as he declines.
It is likely Owens will not even play most of his time in the midfield.
As for Paddy Dow, he is not at McCrae's level, has never been at McCrae's level and given he is 25 (next month) and as such should be at his peak for the next few years is unlikely to ever be at McCrae's level.

Now, that does not mean that I believe we should recruit McCrae as I don't think we should.
I believe we are a good three years away from being truly competitive with the top four which is where you need to be.
So unless McCrae is coming as a salary dump and we get a pick with him I would be a hard pass.

Brunswicksainter
Club Player

SinCitySainter wrote: Wed 11 Sep 2024 1:59pm

Firstly, Sinclair and NAS are not even midfielders.
Secondly, McCrae is clearly ahead of Owens, Windhager and Pou at this stage of their careers but they should all improve as he declines.
It is likely Owens will not even play most of his time in the midfield.
As for Paddy Dow, he is not at McCrae's level, has never been at McCrae's level and given he is 25 (next month) and as such should be at his peak for the next few years is unlikely to ever be at McCrae's level.

Now, that does not mean that I believe we should recruit McCrae as I don't think we should.
I believe we are a good three years away from being truly competitive with the top four which is where you need to be.
So unless McCrae is coming as a salary dump and we get a pick with him I would be a hard pass.
Interesting take. I fundamentally disagree that Macrae is an ahead of Owens, Pou and windhager. The dogs have favoured picking baker, sanders, Scott and McNeil over Macrae for large parts of the 2023 and 2024 seasons. He has completely fallen out of favour and is simple not rated by their set up (because he’s not very good). Are you suggesting all those players are better than our three as well?

Also I’d be shocked if the mid time of Sinclair and NAS over the past too season is less than Macrae. Macrae played exclusively as a half forward and wing in 2023 and early parts of 2024. So you cannot remove those two from the comparison I have drawn as I don’t think Macrae has the engine to play exclusively mid anymore.

I think Macrae’s previous accolades and SuperCoach history has pulled the wool over a lot of fans eyes. He hasn’t been good for a couple years now, there’s a reason he’s not getting regular games nor mid minutes at the dogs. I see him as a slight upgrade on Jones and agree with you we should only pursue if the dogs are paying a significant chunk of his salary or where getting a high pick for facilitating the salary dump. The discussion in the media that the dogs think he’s a required player and will want a 2nd round pick for him is completely absurd. They must do everything they can to get him off the books or they will more than likely see either Darcy, Richards or the Bont walk next year. We hold all the power in this situation (if he picks us) because McCrae’s contract is a disaster.

Brunswicksainter
Club Player

Beno88 wrote: Wed 11 Sep 2024 1:03pm

Not as nonsensical as you may think.

He's clearly ahead of Windhager & Phillipou, averaging more disposals, clearances, marks, and ranking points than both of them in 2024. With age, potential, and experience that will shift, but as it stands right now, Macrae's output is better.

Dow's output is nowhere near Macrae, both across their careers and in 2024. Again, Dow has more scope to improve, but he's not there yet.

I did originally say "true midfielder", which none of Owens, Sinclair or Wanganeen-Milera are.

Macrae's career average is 27 disposals a game. It's 22 disposals a game over 2023-24, and that includes 5 matches as sub.

I'm not saying he's the answer to our problems, but he'd walk into our current midfield.
Couple things, McCrae is not true midfielder himself anymore he has less CBA’s and a lower CBA attendance percentage than Nas and Sinclair. He has been pushed out of the midfield by the likes Richards, McNeil, Scott and sanders and generally starts as a high half forward. I doubt he could come in and play an exclusive mid role at St Kilda given he’s shown he doesn’t have the tank for that anymore.

Secondly Macrae averages 18.4 disposals this season of which 10.7 handballs. All of the names I mentioned had more impactful and better 2024 years than him.

Over his career he has always been a handball first player, allowing him to amass bulk disposal for little to no effect (averaging just 10.3 meters gained per possession over the past 5 years). His kicking efficiency (67%) is also not spectacular. Compare his stats on Wheelo ratings to some of our guys they don’t stack up as great as everyone is making out.

As I said in my other response, there is a reason the dogs don’t rate him.

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

Brunswicksainter wrote: Wed 11 Sep 2024 12:31pm McCrae is not ahead of windhager, Pou, owens, Sinclair, NAS and potentially even Dow. He has struggled for the last 2 seasons and is not the player he once was.
This

The question mark surrounding his form is the biggest red flag.

If he was 26 you'd think it's possible for him to regain his previous form BUT HE'S NOT 26.

Let me ask the people supporting this trade a couple of things;

Do you think Luke Beveridge was wrong in dropping Jack McCrae to the VFL or making him the sub in certain matches?

Are you aware of the issues/weaknesses in McCrae's game that Beveridge was focussed on?

Beno88
SS Hall of Fame

Scollop wrote: Wed 11 Sep 2024 3:37pm
Brunswicksainter wrote: Wed 11 Sep 2024 12:31pm McCrae is not ahead of windhager, Pou, owens, Sinclair, NAS and potentially even Dow. He has struggled for the last 2 seasons and is not the player he once was.
This

The question mark surrounding his form is the biggest red flag.

If he was 26 you'd think it's possible for him to regain his previous form BUT HE'S NOT 26.

Let me ask the people supporting this trade a couple of things;

Do you think Luke Beveridge was wrong in dropping Jack McCrae to the VFL or making him the sub in certain matches?

Are you aware of the issues/weaknesses in McCrae's game that Beveridge was focussed on?
No one is denying that he has declined. But given the departures of Seb Ross, Brad Crouch (likely), and maybe Zak Jones (uncontracted), I don't think he'd be the worst pick up, if it was for nothing.

That said, if Jones stays on the list, Macrae is less of a need.

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

I'd prefer Jones with a year on year contract than clogging the list with Mcrae for 3 years

saint6709
Club Player

Negotiate the retirement of Crouch - pay him out if need be
Replace him with McCrae (3rd rounder or less) - re shuffle his remaining 2(?) years of his contract to pay more of it next year than the following year

Free up ( those 2 guys )money for the next year free agents LDU & Brayshaw

Have a crack at them unless all our young blokes are developing into premiership winning champion type players

magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

Don't want any of these guys. Keep all your picks and nail the draft. I'm sick of list cloggers.

Posting 20 years of holey crap!
Yorkeys
Saintsational Legend

Forget McRea, forget Pretty Boy Smith, go for the Doggies' Garcia.
Two Garcias in the middle? Arriba, Arriba!
(A nightmare for BT calling it but, would never get his head around it)

George27
Club Player

B.M wrote: Tue 10 Sep 2024 11:13pm Vs StK this year

30pos
15k 15hb
1 goal
7 tackles
5 clearances
129 points
Coaches votes
No thanks- that is Michael Frost syndrome all over again. Let’s not get sucked into that .