Keeler, McLennon, Heath, Stocker, Byrnes and Webster Re-sign

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

Keeler, McLennon, Heath, Stocker, Byrnes and Webster Re-sign

According to Saints Facebook all 6 have re-signed for next season

Otiman
Saintsational Legend

Re: Keeler, McLennon, Heath, Stocker, Byrnes and Webster Re-sign

D.B.Cooper
SS Hall of Fame

Deals for Webster, Byrnes, Stocker, McLennan, Heath and Keeler follow contract extensions for Mason Wood, Dan Butler, Cooper Shaman and Lance Collard, announced earlier this week.

That one flew under the radar!

There's only one rule in the jungle! When the LYON's hungry, he eats!
magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

What happened to the experts who wrote that Keeler, Byrnes, Moose and Collard would or should be delisted?
I think Sharman was on that list the year before.

Posting 20 years of holey crap!
Killa
Club Player

Collard’s extension is 3 years based on the reasons the Club has offered

They obviously hold him in high regard

Beno88
SS Hall of Fame

That leaves...

Zak Jones
Jack Hayes
Tim Membrey
Dougal Howard
Ben Paton
Olli Hotton

uncontracted as far as I'm aware.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Mr Magic wrote: Fri 06 Sep 2024 2:06pm According to Saints Facebook all 6 have re-signed for next season
Great news.

spert
Saintsational Legend

Beno88 wrote: Fri 06 Sep 2024 3:02pm That leaves...

Zak Jones
Jack Hayes
Tim Membrey
Dougal Howard
Ben Paton
Olli Hotton

uncontracted as far as I'm aware.
Give them a month by month contract, similar to renting month by month.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

magnifisaint wrote: Fri 06 Sep 2024 2:24pm What happened to the experts who wrote that Keeler, Byrnes, Moose and Collard would or should be delisted?
I think Sharman was on that list the year before.
Slunk back to where they belong one hopes.

Keeler and Moose were never going to be delisted come seasons end.

Collard is a keeper also.

cwrcyn
Saintsational Legend

Especially pleased for McLennan and Byrnes.

Byrnes is such a hard runner and after having a dip in form mid season, came back and played solid football.

McLennan I've liked from the first time I saw him play. Great hands for his height, and as brave as they come. Needs to work on his tank, so this preseason should see him do that. If he can play competently on small forwards at AFL level, he could be a real asset because he can also intercept mark

I was worried Keeler might go home and play for Port Adelaide after spotting Jason Cripps looking in at a Sandy game. Really please he's staying and once he gets a bit fitter and stronger, I'm confident he'll play senior football

cwrcyn
Saintsational Legend

Heath is an interesting one. Now that Campbell is gone, hopefully big Moose and accelerate his progress. He seems to have stagnated a bit in 2024. Needs to get a lot fitter and stronger. If not, I can't see him competing at AFL. Lots of work for the fitness and development coaches.

Sainter_Dad
Saintsational Legend

cwrcyn wrote: Fri 06 Sep 2024 5:52pm Heath is an interesting one. Now that Campbell is gone, hopefully big Moose and accelerate his progress. He seems to have stagnated a bit in 2024. Needs to get a lot fitter and stronger. If not, I can't see him competing at AFL. Lots of work for the fitness and development coaches.
Let the Moose Loose!
Unloose the Moose!

“Youth ages, immaturity is outgrown, ignorance can be educated, and drunkenness sobered, but stupid lasts forever.”

― Aristophanes

If you have a Bee in your Bonnet - I can assist you with that - but it WILL involve some smacking upside the head!
bobmurray
Saintsational Legend

Good news on all these re-signings.

Interesting that those 6 are all on 1 year deals, does that mean the club wants to have another look at their development
in 2025 before committing to longer deals for any of that 6.

The list changes for 2025 have begun, always an interesting time for an avid supporter.
Yorkeys
Saintsational Legend

Maybe some one year contracts have options attached.

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

bobmurray wrote: Fri 06 Sep 2024 7:41pm
Interesting that those 6 are all on 1 year deals, does that mean the club wants to have another look at their development
Really good observation.

If I had to guess…

Webster will likely be a year by year proposition from now on until he retires.

McLennon and Keeler I suspect don’t want to commit too long right now as they pbly both back themselves to be able to command more in 12 months.

Byrnes, Stocker and Heath IMO have all been challenged - I think all are under a bit of pressure to go up a level or ship out. The former two are capable of playing good footy but plateaued a bit this year before finishing the season strongly.
Heath has reached the point where we need to start seeing that our investment is going to be worth it. Needs to show something to justify remaining on the list

Banger9798
SS Life Member

Surely we sign up Howard, especially with Battle leaving
Collard getting 3 years is one of the strangest decisions I've seen.
Haven't see anything from him
Byrnes deserves 2 years.

The Artist formerly known as Fugazi
spert
Saintsational Legend

Banger9798 wrote: Fri 06 Sep 2024 11:58pm Surely we sign up Howard, especially with Battle leaving
Collard getting 3 years is one of the strangest decisions I've seen.
Haven't see anything from him
Byrnes deserves 2 years.
I hope the young guys come good, but jeez Collard showed less than nothing, and even got recalled for senior game after barely touching the ball in a VFL game. Lyon must live in hope of things magically happening sometimes.

cwrcyn
Saintsational Legend

I thought Collard did some impressive things at times. That Sandy team is awful and the ball movement atrocious. To play as a small forward would be a nightmare.

He's got elite speed and showed that with some impressive chase down tackles. He has excellent goal sense, a huge leap and can comfortably kick them through the big sticks across his body from 45m out from goal.

He's got the tools. Some decent development and time in the gym will help him enormously.

To me, he's a real talent and has qualities that few players on our list possess. Qualities we're crying out for

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Collard came in when we weren’t doing so well so it will be interesting to see how he goes at Marvel when we are in half decent form.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
Sanctorum
Club Player

One year extensions puts the onus on all of them to lift their games or they'll be gone afterwards.

I find it interesting that Jack Hayes is still not decided, is he likely to remain if Tim Membrey goes to another club??

He's been injured for most of the time since he started in 2022, played just 8 games but maybe if he can stay fully fit he is certainly a formidable force in the forward line and as 2nd ruck.

I also wonder if the delay on Dougal Howard could be related to him haggling for a better deal than he's been offered so far.

"Where there is no hope, it is incumbent on us to invent it.."

Albert Camus (1913-1960) French philospher
Scollop
Saintsational Legend

skeptic wrote: Fri 06 Sep 2024 9:51pm
Heath has reached the point where we need to start seeing that our investment is going to be worth it. Needs to show something to justify remaining on the list
I don’t agree. As long as he is showing progress, we need to persevere. Heath is only 21 years of age. As long as his fitness and strength improves, we need to persevere.

Have a look at a guy like Lloyd Meek. He’s 26 years ofage. Tristan Xerri made the All Australian squad of 44 this year. Meek wasn’t far off, and I think Meek beats Xerri on some metrics, including hit outs per game. Xerri is 25. Rhys Stanley is still going strong at 33 years of age.

I’d be happy if Max got a debut game in 2025 and then maybe half a dozen in 2026.

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

Scollop wrote: Sat 07 Sep 2024 3:58pm

I don’t agree. As long as he is showing progress, we need to persevere. Heath is only 21 years of age. As long as his fitness and strength improves, we need to persevere.
I think we’re actually in furious agreement here but the highlighted point is what IMO is key.

Obviously Heath has been well behind Campbell and my gut feel is that he may have dropped behind Keeler too… the major knock on him being his athleticism.

You are 100% correct in that big guys take longer and that obviously a guy like Marshall wasn’t a walk up start either but benefited from time and opportunity.

On the promising side is that he appeared to go up a gear late in the season so I’m hopeful. Point that I’m very bullish on though is that it seems pretty clear that the club isn’t entirely sure that he’ll make it otherwise they’d have offered him a longer contract to develop.

They clearly have some reservations and have strapped a rocket to him with the desire to see some improvement quickly.

I reckon if he isn’t extended by mid season, things will be looking pretty bleak for him.

Rubyjo
Club Player

Sanctorum wrote: Sat 07 Sep 2024 12:26pm One year extensions puts the onus on all of them to lift their games or they'll be gone afterwards.

I find it interesting that Jack Hayes is still not decided, is he likely to remain if Tim Membrey goes to another club??

He's been injured for most of the time since he started in 2022, played just 8 games but maybe if he can stay fully fit he is certainly a formidable force in the forward line and as 2nd ruck.

I also wonder if the delay on Dougal Howard could be related to him haggling for a better deal than he's been offered so far.
I can just see Dougal saying If Battle can get this amount I should be able to command X amount ....

Sanctorum
Club Player

Scollop wrote: Sat 07 Sep 2024 3:58pm
skeptic wrote: Fri 06 Sep 2024 9:51pm

Have a look at a guy like Lloyd Meek. He’s 26 years ofage. Tristan Xerri made the All Australian squad of 44 this year. Meek wasn’t far off, and I think Meek beats Xerri on some metrics, including hit outs per game. Xerri is 25. Rhys Stanley is still going strong at 33 years of age.

I’d be happy if Max got a debut game in 2025 and then maybe half a dozen in 2026.
Spot on Scollop - Lloyd Meek didn't debut until he was 23 and look how he plays today!!

It may be that Heath needs to beef up a bit because he's only 97 kg compared to Meek 109 and Marshall 105.

I have not the slightest doubt that Max Heath will achieve his potential in the next few years, offering him just the one year does not necessarily mean the club doesn't rate him, any less than the other 5 that received the same deal.

"Where there is no hope, it is incumbent on us to invent it.."

Albert Camus (1913-1960) French philospher