Who is the worst coach in the AFL

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

takeaway
Club Player

Re: Who is the worst coach in the AFL

Scollop wrote: Sat 24 Aug 2024 12:25am Melbourne... with their star studded midfield and their All Australian key position backs have failed yet again under Goodwin

Yes...I know they've been missing for large parts of the year, but other squads have had the same problems.

If we beat Carlton we'll be above them on the ladder
As you said a few posts earlier, "the coaching group is more important than just looking at the head coach alone". You have said Choco drove the 2021 premiership, not Goodwin. What's Choco doing now? Must be about the worst asst coach in the AFL.

SteeleSaints
Club Player

Allistair Clarkson gets my vote. He has completely failed at North when he doesnt have the players and club to make him look good.

On the other end of the spectrum Sam Mitchell is the best coach in the competition for the 2024 season. Hawthorn dont have the top end talent of other clubs, but he is getting them all playing at 120% and a brand that the kids love playing. It is also evident Mitchell has a really good eye for recruiting which has helped them no end.

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

SteeleSaints wrote: Sat 24 Aug 2024 11:32am Allistair Clarkson gets my vote. He has completely failed at North when he doesnt have the players and club to make him look good.

On the other end of the spectrum Sam Mitchell is the best coach in the competition for the 2024 season. Hawthorn dont have the top end talent of other clubs, but he is getting them all playing at 120% and a brand that the kids love playing. It is also evident Mitchell has a really good eye for recruiting which has helped them no end.
I think it is a premature evaluation to suggest Clarko has failed, clearly his first two seasons have been disrupted by non football issues however in 2025 and beyond he should be capable of focusing on the job at hand more, also North have a decent bunch of high end draft picks, some now with a few seasons of experience, as well as the high picks from this season. I'm inclined to reserve judgement on Clarko for another 2 or 3 years, a bit like how I am reserving judgement on Ross for another 2 or 3 seasons. Moreover North have shown some scintillating football in small patches so they could rise sharply when it starts to click.

I'd also be waiting to see how the Hawks perform in a final, I think they could be found out in a couple of key positions under finals pressure and intensity, especially in their very short forward line. The comp will do their homework on the Hawks in the pre season, just like the comp did their homework on us last pre season, however homework was made easy after our Finals appearance made it abundantly clear we were well of the pace, I think that could happen to the Hawks in 2025.

I think it's possible North could end up higher on the ladder in 2025.

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

takeaway wrote: Sat 24 Aug 2024 11:09am What's Choco doing now? Must be about the worst asst coach in the AFL.
I think you’re ignoring the history prior to Choco arriving. They were underperforming. Choco gave them the spark in 2021 and he was also more influential than he is now. You don’t see him as animated these days.

That’s what happens when someone in a more powerful position feels threatened. He wasn’t going to allow Choco to increase his influence over the group…was he? Think about it

Goodwin realised there was a power shift happening and he’s reined Choco in.

Like all assistants, Choco does what he is told and he’s happy to be on a good salary.

samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

North were way better under Ratts. Under him they showed a lot of spirit and should have won four games.
Under Clarkson they seriously suck.

Your friendly neighbourhood samurai.
takeaway
Club Player

Scollop wrote: Sat 24 Aug 2024 4:04pm
takeaway wrote: Sat 24 Aug 2024 11:09am What's Choco doing now? Must be about the worst asst coach in the AFL.
I think you’re ignoring the history prior to Choco arriving. They were underperforming. Choco gave them the spark in 2021 and he was also more influential than he is now. You don’t see him as animated these days.

That’s what happens when someone in a more powerful position feels threatened. He wasn’t going to allow Choco to increase his influence over the group…was he? Think about it

Like all assistants, Choco does what he is told and he’s happy to be on a good salary.
Good imagination, totally unfounded of course. Could just well have been Richo's appointment as Performance Mgr in 2021 that drove the flag!
How would you know? Team effort by all the coaches the most likely.
If Choco does what he is told, and did so in 2021, who was telling him? Goodwin, the boss.

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

takeaway wrote: Sat 24 Aug 2024 5:16pm
Scollop wrote: Sat 24 Aug 2024 4:04pm

Good imagination, totally unfounded of course. Could just well have been Richo's appointment as Performance Mgr in 2021 that drove the flag!
How would you know? Team effort by all the coaches the most likely.
If Choco does what he is told, and did so in 2021, who was telling him? Goodwin, the boss.
If I say the sky is blue... you'll no doubt come out with a post that says 'no it's not'. 'It's usually cyan or light blue...plus Scolperson is ignoring cloudy days and night time when it's black!!' 👍😎

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

Nick Riewoldt ..

...names the best AFL coach of the last 25 years

https://7news.com.au/sport/afl/st-kilda ... c-15935904
Last edited by Scollop on Thu 05 Sep 2024 11:07pm, edited 1 time in total.

Killa
Club Player

We lost to GWS by 4 goals (and 4 scoring shots) last year - noting we had a few key players missing

GWS went on with it - as they have this year

The obvious difference was the mature bodies of the GWS players and their run from behind

But we were not too far off

magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

What about Adam Oozay. He has seriously underperformed in his 1st year.

Posting 20 years of holey crap!
meher baba
Saintsational Legend

Hinkley

"It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into."
- Jonathan Swift
Yorkeys
Saintsational Legend

meher baba wrote: Thu 05 Sep 2024 11:14pmHinkley
Is he crying again.
Not so proud of the boys any more?

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Kent Stinkley

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
bobmurray
Saintsational Legend

Stinkley has the worst Key Position players in the top 8.

Cripps drafted a couple of spud KPD's last year and Charlie is cooked.
Not that i care about the ex Saints assistant coach who quit when Blight was Sacked. :lol: :lol:

It's me beat how the Port spuds finished 2nd on the ladder.

The list changes for 2025 have begun, always an interesting time for an avid supporter.
Yorkeys
Saintsational Legend

The draw.
Only incompetence prevented Adelaide making the 8 with similar advantage.
Gather round for heavens sake. Let's give Adelaide teams a boost round!

ace
Saintsational Legend

Brad Scott
Dragged North to the bottom of the ladder, left them to go do the same to Essendon.

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.

If you are not engaging AI actively and aggressively, you are doing it wrong.
You are not going to lose your job to AI.
You are going lose your job to somebody who uses AI.
Your company is not going to go out of business because of AI.
Your company is going to go out of business because another company used AI.
- Jensen Huang, CEO of NVIDIA
Brunswicksainter
Club Player

Chris Fagen or Hinkley by the length of the Flemington straight. Look at the lists they’ve had over the past half decade, criminal to not have won a flag.

MCG-Unit
SS Life Member

Don't know about best or worst coaches....

Don't like Clarkson or Hardwick

Like: Luke Beveridge

Like Assistants: Jaymie Graham (Doc)

Josh Drummond, Brad Miller, (GC)
Jed Adcock, Michael Barlow, (NM)

Kyal Horsley, (WAFL)

No Contract, No contact :shock:
perfectionist
Saintsational Legend

The new Eagles coach - he's done nothing.

SteeleSaints
Club Player

Finals: You would have to say Ken Hinkley after last night - he is a dead man walking.

Brunswicksainter
Club Player

Scollop wrote: Sat 24 Aug 2024 12:25am Melbourne... with their star studded midfield and their All Australian key position backs have failed yet again under Goodwin

Yes...I know they've been missing for large parts of the year, but other squads have had the same problems.

Interesting take, I reckon Melbourne’s midfield this season was close to the worse on paper of any side. Oliver was ranked in the bottom 5% of mids this season on AFL x ratings (flawed system I know but he ranked worse player on the ground 6 times this year), Viney is nothing more than a solid plodder (think prime Seb Ross type), trac missed quite a few games and their best mid Trent rivers is still learning his craft. May and lever had injury troubles through the year and the dees forward line is worse than ours. I thought Goodwin overachieved this season. Melbourne will now be a bottom 4 side for at least the next 3 years.

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

Brunswicksainter wrote: Fri 06 Sep 2024 6:41pm

Interesting take, I reckon Melbourne’s midfield this season was close to the worse on paper of any side. Oliver was ranked in the bottom 5% of mids this season on AFL x ratings (flawed system I know but he ranked worse player on the ground 6 times this year), Viney is nothing more than a solid plodder (think prime Seb Ross type), trac missed quite a few games and their best mid Trent rivers is still learning his craft. May and lever had injury troubles through the year and the dees forward line is worse than ours. I thought Goodwin overachieved this season. Melbourne will now be a bottom 4 side for at least the next 3 years.
Uhhhhmmm... Hello......

You are talking about stars who have been awarded multiple All Australian jackets in Gawn, Oliver and Petracca...and all of a sudden they are the 'worse on paper'

I don't think so. You don't lose your talent or abilities overnight. People were saying Nick Riewoldt was washed up late in his career and he won his 5th All Australian jacket five years after winning his 4th.

I understand if people have reservations about them for next year, but after we played them in round 10... Melbourne were sitting pretty at 7 wins, 3 losses.
Last edited by Scollop on Fri 06 Sep 2024 7:07pm, edited 1 time in total.

Brunswicksainter
Club Player

Scollop wrote: Tue 06 Aug 2024 2:58pm You make it sound like ALL of them were exclusively GWS players and no one else could bid on them. That's not true and you know it

That's why I specifically mentioned Taylor and Daniels

This year... there's changes being made to NGA rules which will possibly benefit St Kilda. Is GWS going to whinge that we're getting AFL gifts?
That’s actually not true. All of the Giants academy graduates were exclusively GWS players, doesn’t matter if other clubs bid, GWS could obtain them at a 20% point reduction under the now amended rules (it is 10% from next season).

The changes to the st Kilda NGA access is not a drop in the water compared to the draft concessions GWS will continue to get (in perpetuity). The area they can recruit academy players from would be at least 150 times the size and population density of the tiny corner of south east Melbourne that the saints can utilise. GWS can also recruit anyone whereas St Kilda can only recruit youngsters with diverse cultural backgrounds.

Footy Classified pointed out earlier in the season the giants will average 1 top 20 pick out of their academy every two years and historic data supports this.

Even more egregious is the Gold Coast academy which can pluck any young talent they want from areas of the Gold Coast region that are now establish AFL heartland. But yeah we should be happy the scraps the AFL have given us I suppose?

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

Brunswicksainter wrote: Fri 06 Sep 2024 7:01pm
Scollop wrote: Tue 06 Aug 2024 2:58pm You make it sound like ALL of them were exclusively GWS players and no one else could bid on them. That's not true and you know it

This year... there's changes being made to NGA rules which will possibly benefit St Kilda. Is GWS going to whinge that we're getting AFL gifts?
That’s actually not true. All of the Giants academy graduates were exclusively GWS players, doesn’t matter if other clubs bid, GWS could obtain them at a 20% point reduction under the now amended rules (it is 10% from next season).

The changes to the st Kilda NGA access is not a drop in the water compared to the draft concessions GWS will continue to get (in perpetuity). The area they can recruit academy players from would be at least 150 times the size and population density of the tiny corner of south east Melbourne that the saints can utilise. GWS can also recruit anyone whereas St Kilda can only recruit youngsters with diverse cultural backgrounds.

Footy Classified pointed out earlier in the season the giants will average 1 top 20 pick out of their academy every two years and historic data supports this.

Even more egregious is the Gold Coast academy which can pluck any young talent they want from areas of the Gold Coast region that are now establish AFL heartland. But yeah we should be happy the scraps the AFL have given us I suppose?
Wait till Tasmania enters the comp, the AFL already know Tasmania will be a basket case for at least 30 to 40 years and will possibly need more draft concessions than GWS and GCS put together.

The AFL comp is so corrupt it's really diluted the pureness of what "competition" is meant to represent. It's for this reason I get way more satisfaction from my support for my local forty comps.

samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

Brunswicksainter wrote: Fri 06 Sep 2024 7:01pm

We should be raiding the Suns for midfielders. The fact that even with their soft draw, academy picks, and new coach in honeymoon period, and they still finished below us should have alarm bells ringing up there.
We should(finally) have some father-sons coming through soon by all accounts, so that will be some relief.

Your friendly neighbourhood samurai.