Battle

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

Re: Battle

Scollop wrote: Wed 04 Sep 2024 9:26pm
What are the lessons to be learned here?

In a way….I think the club is as much to blame for the situation and perhaps you could even say, they engineered his exit (in the hope that we’d get very good compensation similarly to the compo pick we got for losing Gresham).

Maybe somewhere along the line this year, they re-evaluated his worth to the team.
Personally I think this is the crux of the issue here.

The absolute cardinal sin for coaches/list managers etc is to overrate their talent and pay bigger money to players that don’t deserve it to keep them… while ignoring the important question of how do we make the list better.

I liked Battle a lot. My feeling is that he played an easier position and looked really good around Wilkie and to a lesser degree Howard.
Keeping him at $400-600k would have been coup for the club. $800k+ is elite money and I’m not sure he’s that, especially if we can cover the position.

All in all, like Gresham I suspect the strategy is we can cover the position for a lot less and gain possibly a FRD pick with the view of seeking out elite talent.
Rumour has it that he commands an $800-900k salary that he is def not worth.

It feels like a good strategy… unless of course you fluff the recruitment which is a distinct possibility, hence the old bird in the hand saying.

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

silverhalo wrote: Wed 04 Sep 2024 7:16pm So disappointed in Battle for choosing to go to Hawthorn for less money - anyway, Band 1 compo would definitely help ease the pain. I hope we whip Hawthorn's ass when we next play them!
Didn’t he say he was doing it for his family?

SinCitySainter
Club Player

Battle is a decent footballer but the way some people are talking on this thread you would think he was Glen Jackovich.
He is an undersized KPD who has reasonable pace but lacks agility, he has the turning circle of the Queen Mary.
He has decent disposal skills but not exceptional and worked very well as one cog in our defense but not the key component.
If we really offered him a million, I am glad he didn't accept it.
That sort of money should be reserved for the top 1 or 2 players at the club or for an A-grader you are trying to attract, and not for a guy who has only had one top ten finish in the best and fairest (though he may get a second this year).

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

SinCitySainter wrote: Thu 05 Sep 2024 10:20am Battle is a decent footballer but the way some people are talking on this thread you would think he was Glen Jackovich.
He is an undersized KPD who has reasonable pace but lacks agility, he has the turning circle of the Queen Mary.
He has decent disposal skills but not exceptional and worked very well as one cog in our defense but not the key component.
If we really offered him a million, I am glad he didn't accept it.
That sort of money should be reserved for the top 1 or 2 players at the club or for an A-grader you are trying to attract, and not for a guy who has only had one top ten finish in the best and fairest (though he may get a second this year).
The "cost of recruiting" is out of control, poor clubs like us and North can't compete.

We need to be patient and build through the drafts.

FA is for clubs in the premiership window with a really small missing piece of the puzzle.

I'm also glad we didn't overpay Battle, not worth more than $600k per season.

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

$1 million isn’t what it used to be.

It’s the new $700K

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
Yorkeys
Saintsational Legend

SaintPav wrote: Thu 05 Sep 2024 12:46pm $1 million isn’t what it used to be.

It’s the new $700K
Shame AFL can't spend more on the game day experience then, e.g. improve seating comfort, shorten queues for everything.

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

Yorkeys wrote: Thu 05 Sep 2024 4:28pm
SaintPav wrote: Thu 05 Sep 2024 12:46pm $1 million isn’t what it used to be.

It’s the new $700K
Shame AFL can't spend more on the game day experience then, e.g. improve seating comfort, shorten queues for everything.
Only if they adhere to the fantasy of trickle down economics

Killa
Club Player

So austerity delivers confidence and that confidence will trickle down - when you get to the head of the Q when the game is all over and only to find out the leftovers are the only fare available and at elevated prices.

Goes with the most effective form of regulation being self regulation.

Except!!!!!

magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

Would have pooed his pants brown and gold tonight.

Posting 20 years of holey crap!
SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

It was reported by Jay Clarke that Battle told teammates on the Sunday after Carlton game that he was staying a Saint.

What happened after that who knows.

Moods
Saintsational Legend

SaintPav wrote: Sat 07 Sep 2024 12:39am It was reported by Jay Clarke that Battle told teammates on the Sunday after Carlton game that he was staying a Saint.

What happened after that who knows.
And how would he justify his request to run through the banner with his kids? It was obvious once that occurred that he was going.

My guess. He’s the sort of bloke who doesn’t like confrontation so he told his teammates he’s staying, knowing he was going. Easier that way. People pleasers. Unfortunately all people pleasers eventually piss everyone off and lose everyone’s respect, and they are often sensitive souls who wonder what they’ve done wrong

Sainternist
Saintsational Legend

The Fireman wrote: Thu 05 Sep 2024 2:19am
silverhalo wrote: Wed 04 Sep 2024 7:16pm So disappointed in Battle for choosing to go to Hawthorn for less money - anyway, Band 1 compo would definitely help ease the pain. I hope we whip Hawthorn's ass when we next play them!
Didn’t he say he was doing it for his family?
Yeah, I believe it was his boyhood dream to play for the Poos&Wees. One rumour I came across was that his father refused to watch him play in a St.Kilda guernsey. If that’s true, his father sounds like a complete narcissist and he would disowned him if he had any sense.

Curb your enthusiasm - you’re a St.Kilda supporter!!
skeptic
Saintsational Legend

Moods wrote: Sat 07 Sep 2024 1:25am

My guess. He’s the sort of bloke who doesn’t like confrontation so he told his teammates he’s staying, knowing he was going. Easier that way. People pleasers.
That’s a near extreme level of avoidance that’s verging on a diagnosable personality disorder. Couldn’t be a functioning member of society if he has to lie to avoid an explainable situation

WellardSaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Perth- the best weather in Oz, but the worst rednecks.

skeptic wrote: Sat 07 Sep 2024 3:54am

My guess. He’s the sort of bloke who doesn’t like confrontation so he told his teammates he’s staying, knowing he was going. Easier that way. People pleasers.
That’s a near extreme level of avoidance that’s verging on a diagnosable personality disorder. Couldn’t be a functioning member of society if he has to lie to avoid an explainable situation
I know a couple of ppl like that.
They prefer to do things via text message rather than face to face. It's easier for them

A real Sainter will pledge allegiance to the ❤🤍🖤 and despise the Pies, the Blues, and the Injectors.
Remember one of the 10 Commandments : Thou shalt have no other team before thee
Moods
Saintsational Legend

Seriously, how do you explain trying to run through the banner? He knew he was going but couldn’t tell his teammates.

My mum worked at Fitzroy 30 odd years ago. Reckons Alastair Lynch was very similar. Once it was out he was going, which was the final nail in Fitzroys coffin, he was crying at the club wanting everyone to tell him it was fine and they understood his decision. Just get the f*** out and live with your decision I say. Look people in the eye, tell them honestly, then go

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Guilt makes people do strange things.

perfectionist
Saintsational Legend

Looks like he'll walk straight into a multiple premiership team. Their only weakness is on one half back flank - soon to be fixed.

Perhaps Ross should start reading a couple of chapters of the Bible each day.

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

They are in a purple patch of form but are they that good?

Thought their carry on after the siren was a bit much.

Yorkeys
Saintsational Legend

SaintPav wrote: Sat 07 Sep 2024 9:54am They are in a purple patch of form but are they that good?

Conditions & venue suited Hawthorn and not so much the Doggies.
Media is seriously encouraging Hawks players to act up and its now got a life of its own.
Collingwood didn't enjoy Ginevans carry on, Mitchell can't stop it.
Be interesting where it ends up. Much more and Hawks could become everyone's second most despised team.

St Dave
Club Player

Yorkeys wrote: Sat 07 Sep 2024 11:05am
SaintPav wrote: Sat 07 Sep 2024 9:54am They are in a purple patch of form but are they that good?

Conditions & venue suited Hawthorn and not so much the Doggies.
Media is seriously encouraging Hawks players to act up and its now got a life of its own.
Collingwood didn't enjoy Ginevans carry on, Mitchell can't stop it.
Be interesting where it ends up. Much more and Hawks could become everyone's second most despised team.
Personally I think their energy is what is getting them into that next level of performance.

They debatably don't have any absolute A-graders, maybe Sicily could be there, Newcombe and Day are good, but there are a lot of good young mids around at the moment.

They are a team of C and B graders playing out of their skins on that energy. I don't know that Mitchell is doing anything tactically interesting, his most interesting move as coach might be encouraging them to be boisterous and letting that feed back in to energy on the field

D.B.Cooper
SS Hall of Fame

perfectionist wrote: Sat 07 Sep 2024 9:51am Looks like he'll walk straight into a multiple premiership team. Their only weakness is on one half back flank - soon to be fixed.

Perhaps Ross should start reading a couple of chapters of the Bible each day.
Box Hill Hawks

There's only one rule in the jungle! When the LYON's hungry, he eats!
Killa
Club Player

How many Elimination Finals have the WB's lost over recent years - including against us a couple of years ago?

Ditto Port Adelaide.

WB rely on their super star mid - then to Treloar who does not hurt.

And their much vaunted "talls" in attack fail - plus they have stop gaps in defence.

Port Adelaide ditto, relying on more mid-field talent than WB but with no support structure.

And both lack Ruck class - English a tease with no physical presence.

Hawthorn? Don't know but I still harbor that they have significantly out-performed including on the Draw including last night.

To the suggestion Battle will fill a half back flank - well, he will have an opponent so good luck with that.

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

Interesting after match interview with James Sicily on Foxfooty last night. Sicily said that Dylan Moore and Jack Scrimshaw were 2 guys who drove standards and were two of the leaders who demanded higher standards with training, preparation and recovery from their team mates.

Apart from that….I think Scrimshaw’s numbers stack up pretty well against the bloke coming in who'll be earning double what Jack is earning. Both from the 2016 draft.

https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/ft_ ... fopt2=2023

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

Moods wrote: Sat 07 Sep 2024 9:28am

Seriously, how do you explain trying to run through the banner? He knew he was going but couldn’t tell his teammates.

My mum worked at Fitzroy 30 odd years ago. Reckons Alastair Lynch was very similar. Once it was out he was going, which was the final nail in Fitzroys coffin, he was crying at the club wanting everyone to tell him it was fine and they understood his decision. Just get the f*** out and live with your decision I say. Look people in the eye, tell them honestly, then go
Most average people are actually pretty uncomfortable with directly lying to people that they care about. Usually how it works with those with the more avoidant traits is that they’re inclined to try and lie through omission/misdirection e.g. (Are you staying Battle?):
Probably
I’ll give it some thought
It will be ok
Haven’t decided etc

The story that his teammates went to bed thinking he’s staying and woke to a text that he’s leaving implies that he has out right lied to them… which is just peculiar. That’s bordering on a more serious disorder. That’s all I’m saying

On a personal level, I have no insight into Battle’s mind

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Hawks win the flag this year and have a hangover year next year and finish 14th.

Too bad, Josh. :mrgreen: