Wood and Butler re-signed

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

Re: Wood and Butler re-signed

Let's hope they're performing to a very high level in 2027 and help the club win its second premiership 👍

Sanctorum
Club Player

Scollop wrote: Mon 02 Sep 2024 3:57pm
Agree with everything you've said. However....

First Hill and now Wood. Soft cap limitation means we essentially retain 34 and 35 years olds on the playing list for the last year of their contract.

We'd be keeping them in 2026 and 2027 at the expense of bringing in 18-23 year olds. We are hoping they may still be performing on field at a high level, but it's not sustainable to keep doing that with your older players.

My problem with continuing to go down that path is that you could be sacrificing the future prosperity of the team.

It's a risky strategy when you might be forced in culling players that you possibly didn't want to in 2026 and you keep Hill and Wood ONLY because they have a contract (and not because they deserve to play on in 2027).
I know where you're coming from Scollop but both Hill and Wood are exceptions rather than the rule, as Hill is a strong mentor for the the team's indigenous players and Wood likewise for all of the younger blokes.

In the overall context of the 45 player squad it shouldn't prevent budding 18-23 year olds to get a game if form dictates they should be selected ahead of either Hill or Wood.

It's also worth noting that when Nasiah Wanganeen Milera comes out of contract at the end of next year, Hill's influence could well lead him to sign a long term deal to remain at Moorabbin rather than take up inevitably attractive offers by the Crows and Power to lure him back to SA.

"Where there is no hope, it is incumbent on us to invent it.."

Albert Camus (1913-1960) French philospher
nostalgicsaint
Club Player

Sanctorum wrote: Tue 03 Sep 2024 11:16am
Scollop wrote: Mon 02 Sep 2024 3:57pm
Agree with everything you've said. However....

First Hill and now Wood. Soft cap limitation means we essentially retain 34 and 35 years olds on the playing list for the last year of their contract.

We'd be keeping them in 2026 and 2027 at the expense of bringing in 18-23 year olds. We are hoping they may still be performing on field at a high level, but it's not sustainable to keep doing that with your older players.

My problem with continuing to go down that path is that you could be sacrificing the future prosperity of the team.

It's a risky strategy when you might be forced in culling players that you possibly didn't want to in 2026 and you keep Hill and Wood ONLY because they have a contract (and not because they deserve to play on in 2027).
I know where you're coming from Scollop but both Hill and Wood are exceptions rather than the rule, as Hill is a strong mentor for the the team's indigenous players and Wood likewise for all of the younger blokes.

In the overall context of the 45 player squad it shouldn't prevent budding 18-23 year olds to get a game if form dictates they should be selected ahead of either Hill or Wood.

It's also worth noting that when Nasiah Wanganeen Milera comes out of contract at the end of next year, Hill's influence could well lead him to sign a long term deal to remain at Moorabbin rather than take up inevitably attractive offers by the Crows and Power to lure him back to SA.
Young players knowing both mentors will be around- and not just for the next year- should give them confidence to stay.

Disclaimer: posts are my views and shouldn't be taken as fact, even if I am in fact right.
BringBackMadDog
Club Player

Wood actually turns 31 next week, but in saying that he has only played 131 games and he's not a bash and crash inside mid so his body hasn't been beaten up. He is also one of the fittest and most professional players at the club so he knows how to look after himself so a 3 year deal is ok with me

shrodes
SS Life Member

Sharman has signed til 2026
Collard has signed til 2027

https://www.saints.com.au/news/1646122/ ... -into-2025

Pretty pleased Collard isn't heading straight back to WA! Regardless of indiscretions or attitude or VFL form I think he could be an exciting player for us in a year or two.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

shrodes wrote: Wed 04 Sep 2024 3:55pm Sharman has signed til 2026
Collard has signed til 2027

https://www.saints.com.au/news/1646122/ ... -into-2025

Pretty pleased Collard isn't heading straight back to WA! Regardless of indiscretions or attitude or VFL form I think he could be an exciting player for us in a year or two.
Only the nervous Nellies thought he was headed back to WA sooner rather than latter. Was never really an option and if you had listened to or spoken to the young lad, that would have been obvious.

cwrcyn
Saintsational Legend

This is excellent news. A lot of clubs would have been sniffing around Sharman, and what a stamp of approval for our club in getting Collard to extend his contract.

Saint 58
Club Player

Collard and picks for Harley Reid in a few years ?

What you do for others will define your life.
[Football isn't everything ... it's the ONLY thing]