Battle

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Re: Battle

He was torn a new one in last years EF.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Sanctorum wrote: Fri 30 Aug 2024 5:43pm I know that a lot of supporters feel aggrieved by Battle's decision to play for Hawthorn, but look at it this way: is he any different to anyone else in professions, whether it be sport or business, science, academia???

In today's world people change jobs all the time, for all sorts of reasons, often for more money or the opportunity to make the big time in their field of expertise.

Expressing anger towards Battle because supporters feel he should have stayed at Moorabbin is a waste of emotional energy, it's been going on since 1964 when Ron Barassi, a 6 time premiership player with Melbourne shocked the footy world when he accepted an offer to captain-coach Carlton.

It's also likely that there is not a single St Kilda player who will begrudge Battle leaving, nor will it affect their friendship when he plays for the Hawks. And as I said earlier, I wouldn't mind betting that Arie Schoenmaker will be delighted that this should open the door for him to take up Battle's spot at CHB next year!!
Who are you trying to rationalise with this condescending clap trap?

We’ve been rogered plain and simple.

Spare everyone the trite platitudes.

IDGAF.

loris
Saintsational Legend

D.B.Cooper wrote: Fri 30 Aug 2024 5:49pm
loris wrote: Fri 30 Aug 2024 5:38pm
magnifisaint wrote: Fri 30 Aug 2024 4:07pm He's no Neil Roberts!
Definitely not magnifisaint . I’ll tell you a little story about the great Neil Roberts.

My older sister Helen adored Coco Roberts when she was a teenager. Her side of our bedroom walls, was full of pictures of Neil Roberts. Roberts was her heart throb ❤️‍🔥

A number of years back, when Grant Thomas was coach. GT was so good at bringing over injured players and ex-players to the functions the Western Saints supporter group held before the Saints Freo or Eagles games.

Neil Roberts & Kevin Neale were to be the guest speakers at the function. I had to pick Coco & Cowboy from the hotel they were staying at and drive them to the function at the Hyde Park Hotel. My sister was with me.
I drove a small Honda Civic at the time. When these 2 hulking blokes got into the rear seats of my car, I swear the front wheels lifted off the ground.

The drive to the hotel was hilarious- better comedians than Abbott & Costello, or for younger folks Hamish & Andy. The bounced off each other with their ad lib humour.

When we got to the hotel, Cowboy got out of my car quite easily & headed off inside immediately. Poor Roberts was not so flexible as he’d not long had a hip operation. He was carrying an armful of St Kilda ties. So he tossed them over to me in the front seat. The ties were for all the ex-saints players who now lived in Western Australia (I think there were 28 at the function).

My sister had alighted from the passenger side. Neil says to her: “hey darls, can you help me get out? Will you lift my legs and swing them out for me?” Then she had to help lift him up out of the car, and he had to lean on her for a few yards until he could walk properly by himself.

Helen said later how sad she was to see her heartthrob of over 50 plus years ago, reduced to such banged up old man😪
Actually we both said how disappointing it was - these 2 fit young footballers of days gone bye , had let themselves go to seed. Whilst we two females, her the same age as Coco & me around Cowboys age were fit & firing on all cylinders.

Actually Neil hadn’t moved with the times. Whilst hewas very funny with the stories he told, I’ve never heard such, sexist & racist jokes told at a function with mixed sexes, and believe me I’ve been to many a ‘sportsman’s function’.

I can recall when Helen first started work in the mid 1950’s - with her first pay packet - she bought our two brothers Saints footy jumpers. Ofcourse, one jumper had the number 10 on the back.
Love it, you recite a wonderful story loris.
I bet the two old boys still thought the wild red head driving them that day was ‘a bit of alright’ 😉

I think Coco kept in pretty good shape until early 2000’s and a nasty car accident with Ronald Dale.

Cowboy on the other hand 😂

Great story and thanks for sharing.

Lastly, wasn’t RogerWA from the forum early days one of your brothers?
Yes, Roger got the #10 jumper. The other brother got #6 - who was Paul Dodd at the time.

I know you aren’t the greatest GT. fan D.B.C, but in his time he used to make sure the Western Saints fans had plenty of access to the players etc. Every Western Saints AGM, he’d ensure the President or CEO came over to be in attendance. If it wasn’t possible, GT himself would phone through to the meeting & be accessible to questions.
Also he was rather smart during at his time at the Saints. WA was going through a real mining boom. Saint supporters in the West (most were ex-pat Victorians) had been starved off access to Saints . Rare to get to see Saints live on TV. I can recollect Saints supporters, we met at a hotel & the owner used to get the match in live via a pirate set up, sometimes via PNG, of all countries!! Connection wasn’t that reliable, would always go down at the most exciting times, with much profanities & gnashing of teeth.
GT realized there were a lot of cashed up Saint supporters in the West. I was amazed the first WA pre game function I went to, where at a Saints memorabilia auction, a Robert Harvey signed jumper went for $40k and a team signed jumper went for $28k. Throughout those times it was common to see jumpers bid for in the thousands.
GT knew all the profits the WA Saints made went straight back to the Club.
I can recall one AGM, GT was in a phone hook up to the meeting. He was listening to the Treasurer’s Report, I can’t recall the profit we made but was over $10k that year. GT put up the idea for someone to move a motion- not to transfer all of the profits straight back to the Club. Instead to spend a lot of the money buying Saints interstate membership for families, friends & acquaintances.
The reasoning behind this, the AFL recouped the team with the cost of every interstate membership sold. It must have been part of the ALF’s membership push towards expansion interstate. All in all it put double the money towards the Saints. And, hopefully those people who got a ‘free interstate membership’ that year would remain paid up members into the future.

Alas, whether it’s been because of mining slow downs at times or GT’s departure those astronomical profits aren’t around anymore. 🥲

PS. The ‘wild red-head’ is very tame now, infact the red is totally white these days. Just call me snowy 😉
Last edited by loris on Fri 30 Aug 2024 6:57pm, edited 1 time in total.

perfectionist
Saintsational Legend

It seams that Mason Wood is also out of contract. What's happening with him?

Killa
Club Player

In regards Neil Roberts, last saw him at a Geelong game at Geelong a couple of seasons back (where Scarlett had the microphone and launched into his normal, deranged anti St Kilda tirade, so embarrassing because there were guests who were St Kilda supporters including Neil, a St Kilda legend. Our hosts offered apologies).

But the point is Neil presented as always as fit and well - and someone who has looked after himself.

One of nature's gentlemen.

"Cowboy". Well, when Coaching Central Districts his dragging on cigarette after cigarette was the stuff of legend.

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Scarlet is a first class kent of the highest order.

cwrcyn
Saintsational Legend

Serial killer eyes

loris
Saintsational Legend

perfectionist wrote: Fri 30 Aug 2024 6:57pm It seams that Mason Wood is also out of contract. What's happening with him?
Now I will burn my membership if Mason goes.🤬

I did read recently, a week or so ago (can’t recall if was AFL site, SEN or Fox) that a number of contracts for some OOC Saints just needed formalizing. A couple of the names were Sharman & Wood. Sharman’s signed so fingers crossed for Mason 🤞

Waltzing St Kilda
SS Hall of Fame

Killa wrote: Fri 30 Aug 2024 6:58pm In regards Neil Roberts, last saw him at a Geelong game at Geelong a couple of seasons back (where Scarlett had the microphone and launched into his normal, deranged anti St Kilda tirade, so embarrassing because there were guests who were St Kilda supporters including Neil, a St Kilda legend. Our hosts offered apologies).

But the point is Neil presented as always as fit and well - and someone who has looked after himself.

One of nature's gentlemen.

"Cowboy". Well, when Coaching Central Districts his dragging on cigarette after cigarette was the stuff of legend.
What's Scarlett's beef with St Kilda?

Anybody who ever questions the value of father-son should remember one moment: the Scarlett toe-poke to Ablett.

Killa
Club Player

Basically that St Kilda of that time should never be compared to Geelong because St Kilda were so inferior

Very strange dude and why Stoneham, Brownless and Co let him have a microphone is beyond comprehension given his obsession

Father/Son, hey?

Been defining across the AFL competition, which is seriously compromised by the AFL being the power broker Clubs

Killa
Club Player

Basically that St Kilda of that time should never be compared to Geelong because St Kilda were so inferior

Very strange dude and why Stoneham, Brownless and Co let him have a microphone is beyond comprehension given his obsession

Father/Son, hey?

Been defining across the AFL competition, which is seriously compromised by the AFL being the power broker Clubs

D.B.Cooper
SS Hall of Fame

loris wrote: Fri 30 Aug 2024 6:49pm
D.B.Cooper wrote: Fri 30 Aug 2024 5:49pm
loris wrote: Fri 30 Aug 2024 5:38pm
magnifisaint wrote: Fri 30 Aug 2024 4:07pm He's no Neil Roberts!
Definitely not magnifisaint . I’ll tell you a little story about the great Neil Roberts.

My older sister Helen adored Coco Roberts when she was a teenager. Her side of our bedroom walls, was full of pictures of Neil Roberts. Roberts was her heart throb ❤️‍🔥

A number of years back, when Grant Thomas was coach. GT was so good at bringing over injured players and ex-players to the functions the Western Saints supporter group held before the Saints Freo or Eagles games.

Neil Roberts & Kevin Neale were to be the guest speakers at the function. I had to pick Coco & Cowboy from the hotel they were staying at and drive them to the function at the Hyde Park Hotel. My sister was with me.
I drove a small Honda Civic at the time. When these 2 hulking blokes got into the rear seats of my car, I swear the front wheels lifted off the ground.

The drive to the hotel was hilarious- better comedians than Abbott & Costello, or for younger folks Hamish & Andy. The bounced off each other with their ad lib humour.

When we got to the hotel, Cowboy got out of my car quite easily & headed off inside immediately. Poor Roberts was not so flexible as he’d not long had a hip operation. He was carrying an armful of St Kilda ties. So he tossed them over to me in the front seat. The ties were for all the ex-saints players who now lived in Western Australia (I think there were 28 at the function).

My sister had alighted from the passenger side. Neil says to her: “hey darls, can you help me get out? Will you lift my legs and swing them out for me?” Then she had to help lift him up out of the car, and he had to lean on her for a few yards until he could walk properly by himself.

Helen said later how sad she was to see her heartthrob of over 50 plus years ago, reduced to such banged up old man😪
Actually we both said how disappointing it was - these 2 fit young footballers of days gone bye , had let themselves go to seed. Whilst we two females, her the same age as Coco & me around Cowboys age were fit & firing on all cylinders.

Actually Neil hadn’t moved with the times. Whilst hewas very funny with the stories he told, I’ve never heard such, sexist & racist jokes told at a function with mixed sexes, and believe me I’ve been to many a ‘sportsman’s function’.

I can recall when Helen first started work in the mid 1950’s - with her first pay packet - she bought our two brothers Saints footy jumpers. Ofcourse, one jumper had the number 10 on the back.
Love it, you recite a wonderful story loris.
I bet the two old boys still thought the wild red head driving them that day was ‘a bit of alright’ 😉

I think Coco kept in pretty good shape until early 2000’s and a nasty car accident with Ronald Dale.

Cowboy on the other hand 😂

Great story and thanks for sharing.

Lastly, wasn’t RogerWA from the forum early days one of your brothers?
Yes, Roger got the #10 jumper. The other brother got #6 - who was Paul Dodd at the time.

I know you aren’t the greatest GT. fan D.B.C, but in his time he used to make sure the Western Saints fans had plenty of access to the players etc. Every Western Saints AGM, he’d ensure the President or CEO came over to be in attendance. If it wasn’t possible, GT himself would phone through to the meeting & be accessible to questions.
Also he was rather smart during at his time at the Saints. WA was going through a real mining boom. Saint supporters in the West (most were ex-pat Victorians) had been starved off access to Saints . Rare to get to see Saints live on TV. I can recollect Saints supporters, we met at a hotel & the owner used to get the match in live via a pirate set up, sometimes via PNG, of all countries!! Connection wasn’t that reliable, would always go down at the most exciting times, with much profanities & gnashing of teeth.
GT realized there were a lot of cashed up Saint supporters in the West. I was amazed the first WA pre game function I went to, where at a Saints memorabilia auction, a Robert Harvey signed jumper went for $40k and a team signed jumper went for $28k. Throughout those times it was common to see jumpers bid for in the thousands.
GT knew all the profits the WA Saints made went straight back to the Club.
I can recall one AGM, GT was in a phone hook up to the meeting. He was listening to the Treasurer’s Report, I can’t recall the profit we made but was over $10k that year. GT put up the idea for someone to move a motion- not to transfer all of the profits straight back to the Club. Instead to spend a lot of the money buying Saints interstate membership for families, friends & acquaintances.
The reasoning behind this, the AFL recouped the team with the cost of every interstate membership sold. It must have been part of the ALF’s membership push towards expansion interstate. All in all it put double the money towards the Saints. And, hopefully those people who got a ‘free interstate membership’ that year would remain paid up members into the future.

Alas, whether it’s been because of mining slow downs at times or GT’s departure those astronomical profits aren’t around anymore. 🥲

PS. The ‘wild red-head’ is very tame now, infact the red is totally white these days. Just call me snowy 😉
Thanks loris, I was really disgusted in the mock process to appoint GT and to give a talented group top a coach with no experience was a mistake, but once he was on board, he was the coach and I have to admit my favorite time as a Saints supporter was the GT period between 03-05 as I really believed we were headed for a dynasty of success. I also loved the exciting attacking style of play, reminiscent of the Geelong teams of the 90's (who also failed to win flags).

I was 4 in 1966, I went in 71, 97, 2009, 2010, 2010 with the results that you well know.

I was a presidents club member between 2003 - 2010 and used to take a table at all home games to take clients, friends & family, there was also a function room called the Bayside lounge for a few years that I would attend for a more casual set up.

I was drinking the koolaide between 03-05 but unfortunately became witness to the behaviour of senior people at the club on a couple of occasions after game day functions and knew that we as a club were headed for trouble when senior officials were doing coke in front of major club sponsors.

At the time I was keen for the President and CEO to leave, but never wanted GT removed as I like stability.
I agree GT was a master at having the supporters connect with the club and feel a part of the journey, he must have done this through passion for the club. In that period I had some close contacts at the club (all well gone now and I don't know a single person there now) and some of the information flowing out about GT and his MO was concerning. Ross loves to say let the cobblers cobble, this in my humble opinion was GT's biggest down fall as he did not do this. I was told at the time he was close to broke and very demanding of money, performance bonus and owed key players at the club sizable sums of money. This may or may not be true, but it rings true to me.

After GT's departure I spoke at length with the father of a Saints legend who played under both GT and Ross and he was quite scathing in portraying his sons assessment of GT.

He's not my cup of tea, but good luck to him as he has been moderately successful in business post his time at the Saints.
Though retired I still consult on M&A for a couple of PE companies and family offices, hence I have had some exposure to a company he was a shareholder at.

I wish he'd not be our Neil Harvey dial a quote guy.
I feel he should sail of quietly into the sunset.

Hey, but that's just my opinion.

Always love reading your input Queen loris, no relation to the budget watch brand as good old Furphy used to write :D

There's only one rule in the jungle! When the LYON's hungry, he eats!
Saint 58
Club Player

SaintPav wrote: Fri 30 Aug 2024 7:01pm Scarlet is a first class kent of the highest order.
On my bucket list to tell him if I ever get the opportunity.

What you do for others will define your life.
[Football isn't everything ... it's the ONLY thing]
bobmurray
Saintsational Legend

bigcarl wrote: Fri 30 Aug 2024 2:07pm Well Josh, I hope it comes to you in a sudden, blinding flash of inspiration ... as you line up on Cooper Sharman or Mitchito Owens or Max King in the 2026 grand final ... that you should have stuck with the forces of good rather than the forces of evil :P

It's a body blow, but no one is irreplacable
I doubt Owens will give Battle too much trouble if they line up on each other next year, based on how Owens played this year.
2026 is too far away for me to predict where the Saints will be. :lol:

The list changes for 2025 have begun, always an interesting time for an avid supporter.
bobmurray
Saintsational Legend

Duplicate post. :oops:
Last edited by bobmurray on Fri 30 Aug 2024 11:26pm, edited 1 time in total.

The list changes for 2025 have begun, always an interesting time for an avid supporter.
SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Another trade rumour which I will take with a grain of salt is that we are interested in Jayden Laverde. Potentially a like for like replacement for Battle. Stats look pretty similar but others will know more about this than me.

https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/ft_ ... 2=C&type=A

Yorkeys
Saintsational Legend

Saint 58 wrote: Fri 30 Aug 2024 9:36pm
SaintPav wrote: Fri 30 Aug 2024 7:01pm Scarlet is a first class kent of the highest order.
On my bucket list to tell him if I ever get the opportunity.
Doesn't he head butt his business partners.

whiskers3614
Saintsational Legend

SaintPav wrote: Fri 30 Aug 2024 10:55pm Another trade rumour which I will take with a grain of salt is that we are interested in Jayden Laverde. Potentially a like for like replacement for Battle. Stats look pretty similar but others will know more about this than me.

https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/ft_ ... 2=C&type=A
Would need to de- louse! :(

SAINT-LEE
Club Player

The_Dud wrote: Thu 29 Aug 2024 11:09pm Reportedly went to Hawthorn for less money.

Doesn’t say much for our club or where we’re headed…
Or...it could speak the character of the person leaving?

Nick DalSanto Claus
Club Player

Not to mention an alleged wife beater. A real low life.

"There is only one thing in the world worse than being talked about, and that is not being talked about."
Nick DalSanto Claus
Club Player

Please keep posting, Red "Snowy" loris. Your stories are always entertaining and well written. They are an important part of the club's informal history.

"There is only one thing in the world worse than being talked about, and that is not being talked about."
ace
Saintsational Legend

The Battle is over, now let's win the war.

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.

If you are not engaging AI actively and aggressively, you are doing it wrong.
You are not going to lose your job to AI.
You are going lose your job to somebody who uses AI.
Your company is not going to go out of business because of AI.
Your company is going to go out of business because another company used AI.
- Jensen Huang, CEO of NVIDIA
magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

Thanks Loris. Just wondering if your sister slipped her hand on Cocos leg as she was helping him out of the car?

Posting 20 years of holey crap!
samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

The G Train Legacy wrote: Thu 29 Aug 2024 7:35pm
samuraisaint wrote: Thu 29 Aug 2024 5:41pm
WellardSaint wrote: Thu 29 Aug 2024 4:09pm Saints want to try to get a 1st round compo pick, according to SaintsTV podcast.

Depends on how much $$ Hawks offer him.

The deal will be done on Oct 4 when trade window opens...
Not just that - age comes into it, length of contract Hawthorn give him, and his performances - i.e. Top 5 in the B&F.

I think we should be eligible for first round compo. a 25 year old key defender is worth a high draft pick. The club should fight if this isn't forthcoming.
The AFL will have a s*** storm on its hands if we don't get Band 1. The Club should go thermonuclear if we don't and make its expectations clear to the AFL now.
North got Band 1 (Pick 3) for McKay who is a very average key defender and clearly an inferior player than Battle.
The club have been agitating all year regarding the inequalities of the draft including father-sons, northern academies, priority picks and the points system of the drafting system (The only one I disagree with them on is the father-sons rule - if a kid wants to play for the same side his own father played 100 games for, I am all for it).

There is no way a 25 year old key defender, who has played 100 games for a club and will finish top 10 in our B&F and is commanding $950,000 for his current club can walk and his previous club ends up with a pick at number 29 because his preferred destination club can offer only $850,000. That is not equitable and not in line with market value. My understanding is that the length of the contract will come into the equation and that Hawthorn are offering a 6-year contract. That should trigger Band 1 compo IMHFO.

Your friendly neighbourhood samurai.
samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

I heard on SEN that Hawthorn may have to front load his contract so that he earns enough for St. KFC will get a pick in the first round of this year's draft. That is the best-case scenario.

Your friendly neighbourhood samurai.