Four delisted

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

King Max
Club Player

Four delisted

shrodes
SS Life Member

Re: Four delisted

From the club: https://www.saints.com.au/news/1640958/ ... st-changes

Really perplexing that they put so many games into Bonner this year

The others are not really a surprise to me personally. Big opportunity to grasp the fulltime ruck role next year for Keeler and Heath if they stay on

CURLY
Saintsational Legend

Campbell is so unlucky he’s a better ruckman than basically every bean pole kid that will be on a list next season that has so called potential.

Bonner simply just a walking Clanger

Van Es and Allison unlucky

NO IFS OR BUTS HARVS IS KING OF THE AFL
saintkid
Club Player

Totally agree about Bonner. Playing him for several games this season has thwarted the development of another young player with promise. Dare I say he even cost the team in some of the close games.
This aspect of Lyon's thinking with Bonner continually getting a game I just don't understand at all and makes no sense whatsoever.

cwrcyn
Saintsational Legend

Allison showed nothing in four years. Played with the intensity of a man waiting for a bus

Van Es is stiff. Not really given a chance. The only logical reason I can think of is his ankle is completely stuffed

Bonner...well...no surprise. His shortcomings are pretty obvious

Tom Campbell has been a star are Sandy. Unlucky not to play a few more games

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

saintkid wrote: Tue 27 Aug 2024 7:30pm Totally agree about Bonner. Playing him for several games this season has thwarted the development of another young player with promise. Dare I say he even cost the team in some of the close games.
This aspect of Lyon's thinking with Bonner continually getting a game I just don't understand at all and makes no sense whatsoever.
I don't mind that Bonner was given a chance. I think Bonner wouldn't have played that many games if we didn't have injuries.

We had Crouch and Clark injured. Dow was also unavailable so Sinclair had to move into the midfield.

It allowed Jack Sinclair an opportunity to improve his contest and clearance work. Jack and the team will benefit from that going forward

aaron82
Club Player

Bonner played the exact same role that Shane Birss & Jayden Attard did in Ross’ first time around.

A stop gap as we have a lot immature youth and plenty on the other side of 27. Not many on our list are in their prime 23-27 years. Playing him allowed us to develop the youth throughout the year through the VFL program intertwined with the odd AFL appearance.

Every chance we’ll pick up another delisted free agent for a 12 month contract this summer

and that's the bottom line
Vortex
Saintsational Legend

saintkid wrote: Tue 27 Aug 2024 7:30pm Totally agree about Bonner. Playing him for several games this season has thwarted the development of another young player with promise. Dare I say he even cost the team in some of the close games.
If we accept Lyon is being 100% honest when he repeatedly states he picks teams to win games then I look at the Bonner experiment as an illustration of two things, firstly the depth of proven talent available for recruitment is getting thinner every season, Tasmania will further dilute the talent pool. And secondly the depth on our list is still very shallow.

With that in mind, as well as acknowledging Lyon's game plan probes for fast ball movement off the back half, I'd suggest Bonner was seen as a stop gap and was also considered better than any other option on the list most weeks to fill that role in his pursuit to try and win every game rather than just throw random kids into the game who couldn't play that specific role just for the sake of "getting games into kids" who neither are ready for AFL and/or can play the role

Question is, who will he his replacement, do the recruiters already have someone they think can play the role better or has Lyon identified that player internally?

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

cwrcyn wrote: Tue 27 Aug 2024 7:36pm
Van Es is stiff. Not really given a chance. The only logical reason I can think of is his ankle is completely stuffed
Is it possible to offer him a rookie contract to retain him or can we only do that early in 2025?

chook23
Saintsational Legend

cwrcyn wrote: Tue 27 Aug 2024 7:36pm Allison showed nothing in four years. Played with the intensity of a man waiting for a bus

Bonner...well...no surprise. His shortcomings are pretty obvious

Tom Campbell has been a star are Sandy. Unlucky not to play a few more games
From club.......We hope having had further surgery to his ankle earlier this year allows him a fresh start to this next chapter of his life.

Backs up his ankle may not stand up to the rigors of AFL but last opp will help with life going forward

saint4life
cwrcyn
Saintsational Legend

The logical replacement for Bonner is Hastie

seano1
Club Player

Campbell may get a sandy contract or ruck coaching gig to further show our younger ones what is expected and how to do it

saintbob
SS Life Member

I’m thinking this list will and should double by the end of the week.

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

cwrcyn wrote: Tue 27 Aug 2024 8:11pm The logical replacement for Bonner is Hastie
Maybe in time but he looks like he might need more time at VFL to develop and build his body.

D.B.Cooper
SS Hall of Fame

No surprise with the first 4.

Agree it is perplexing to play Bonner so regularly then delist him. Similar to another PA backman Leinert.

Depending on who we pick up, Campbell may get a late rookie call up as a backup ruck.

There's only one rule in the jungle! When the LYON's hungry, he eats!
mr six o'clock
Saintsational Legend

How many more do we have to get rid of ?

In red white and black from 73
Otiman
Saintsational Legend

mr six o'clock wrote: Tue 27 Aug 2024 9:31pm How many more do we have to get rid of ?
None, we have to take 3 in the draft, and will probably take that unless we can trade in some picks in the 30-40 range.

I've always said that whoever you delist needs to be replaced by a better prospect. If we think we can snatch a sneaky rookie or late pick we will probably delist more.

bobmurray
Saintsational Legend

I think they usually make about 8 list changes per year, if my memory is correct then there will be more, but, not all of those changes are delistings.

We haven't heard of any retirements yet and we don't know if any players will be traded or if Battle goes as a Free Agent.

The list changes for 2025 have begun, always an interesting time for an avid supporter.
Waltzing St Kilda
SS Hall of Fame

Word is we're after Ivan Soldo.

Big Max
Club Player

No mention of Ross or Crouch?

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

My bet with Campbell is that Heath and Keeler have reached the point that they need to be the primary ruck/ruck forward. Tom was an incredible club man but I think at this point, his presence at Sandy may have been more of a hinderance to a degree.

Would love to see him get a coaching gig though.

Bonner surprised me… I’d have thought he was good enough for depth at least bit the modern game is all about keeping possession and not turn overs. Not his strong suit.

Disappointed for Van’Es, like many I was really excited for him but the kid didn’t fire a shot

Allison was always a terrible choice

Glad to see that Hayes and Hotton survived (for now at least). Last role of the dice for both and I hope they make it.

bobmurray
Saintsational Legend

Speaking of Bonner, the only thing i saw him do at training on Friday last week that made him stand out, was the coat hanger he gave Hall when he tackled him in a drill.

Was his nickname Shanks because he sure shanked a lot of his kicks, not only misdirected but lots of tumblers, i think his
downside outweighed his good side, probably what Port thought as well.

The list changes for 2025 have begun, always an interesting time for an avid supporter.
wally
Club Player

I’m both glad & surprised by the Bonner exit,I thought he should have been dropped halfway through the season, never to play again.
My only guess is that while we played around with NAS and Sinclair through the midfield he remained the constant on the HB line.
Now with this year done time for hope going forward.

cwrcyn
Saintsational Legend

Up to four more will go out of this group

Battle
Membrey ( if rumours are true)
Ross
Heath
Hotton
Crouch
Hayes

George27
Club Player

wally wrote: Wed 28 Aug 2024 8:55am I’m both glad & surprised by the Bonner exit,I thought he should have been dropped halfway through the season, never to play again.
My only guess is that while we played around with NAS and Sinclair through the midfield he remained the constant on the HB line.
Now with this year done time for hope going forward.
Your reasoning is spot on. The experiment of putting Sinclair in particular in the midfield was totally understandable, given our struggles there. However it is clear that the best position for him and NAS is halfback, making Bonner surplus to requirements.

I agree with Bonner’s delisting but, unlike some others, take no particular delight in it. His selection was worth a shot, and it is not as if we gave up a first-rounder for him . It didn’t work out, but I wish him well.