Delistings

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

damienc
Club Player

Delistings

Who stays? Who goes?

Allison? Van Es? Paton? Hayes? Hall? Campbell? Hotten?

Has Jones done enough to warrant another year? It’s a given we lose Battle.

There will be some retirements Ross? Crouch?

Over to you.

The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

Re: Delistings

I think both Jones and Membrey have done enough, which didn't look likely earlier this season

All posters are equal, but some posters are more equal than others.
Beno88
SS Hall of Fame

Allison seems a certainty to go.

Crouch is finished.

Ross, Bonner and Paton would be very nervous.

Not sure Hall showed enough at Sandringham to stay on.

Webster, Membrey and Jones have all shown enough to get another year.

Hotton, Van Es, Keeler, McLennan and Heath should all stay on, but wouldn't be surprised if one or two are let go.

Hayes and Campbell... I think we only keep one.

Howard, Stocker & Butler should get one year extensions.

Wood, Sharman & Byrnes should all get 2 years.

Clark probably our only real trade bait.

Not sure why Cordy has a contract through to the end of 2025?

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

Personally…

Allison
Crouch (retire)
Ross (retire)
Battle (FA)
Campbell (retire)
Paton/Bonner (keep 1 only)

I don’t know why I think this… but I reckon Webster may retire too.

Personally, I’d keep all the rest essentially like how Benno88 has specified.
That’s 6 players to bring in. 3-4 in the draft. Hopefully trade in a midfielder and maybe a depth player/lifeline

Sanctorum
Club Player

skeptic wrote: Mon 26 Aug 2024 11:44am Personally…

Allison
Crouch (retire)
Ross (retire)
Battle (FA)
Campbell (retire)
Paton/Bonner (keep 1 only)

I don’t know why I think this… but I reckon Webster may retire too.

Personally, I’d keep all the rest essentially like how Benno88 has specified.
That’s 6 players to bring in. 3-4 in the draft. Hopefully trade in a midfielder and maybe a depth player/lifeline
Webster is reported to having being offered an extension.

Doubt Bonner will be let go after 1 season, he's done quite well in the 19 games he's played this year, averaging 21 disposals.

Jack Hayes looks to me like he might get the chop, 8 games in 3 seasons riddled with injuries is not a good recommendation for a new deal.

"Where there is no hope, it is incumbent on us to invent it.."

Albert Camus (1913-1960) French philospher
skeptic
Saintsational Legend

Sanctorum wrote: Mon 26 Aug 2024 1:29pm
To be clear… the suggestion to me, is that Webster himself may be the one to pull the pin. No indication that he will be pushed
Has had a reasonable year since coming back from suspension. I didn’t particularly rate him in his early to mid years… just didn’t see the hype. He’s been great for the last 2-3 seasons though.

B.M
Saintsational Legend

Recency bias won’t be a factor

They will review the year as a whole, not just who hit ok form in the last 6 weeks

It’s like AA selection

Games at the back end of the season should be no more or less important

meher baba
Saintsational Legend

As I understand it, Crouch will need to retire voluntarily, or else we will have to keep him on. Hopefully he will agree to go.

Surely Van Es and Ross are gone. I reckon Bonner should be gone too, but I suspect he'll be retained.

I don't understand why people think Hotton should be kept on: he's currently a million miles away from being selected to play in what all the experts say is the weakest midfield in the AFL. If we get hold of some better mids - even if we are only talking the likes of Shiel and Peatling - Hotton will be even further away.

Paton will probably get moved on, which is a pity, but we have plenty of his type. It sounds like the club wants to ditch Hayes as well.

I reckon McLennan and Allison might both get a reprieve through the rookie list, although there could conceivably be some interest from other clubs in Allison.

If Campbell is at all interested in playing on, I reckon we should sign him up. He's the best backup ruckman going around.

But the results of the end of season reviews are often difficult to predict, perhaps for the reasons set out by BM.

"It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into."
- Jonathan Swift
SteeleSaints
Club Player

Being injured and not playing seems to really cloud peoples judgement of players. Van Es has had 3 x operations on his ankle in 18 months none of which were his fault. Now he is getting back to full fitness is not the time to delist him, he is the exact player we need down back capable of taking those gorilla forwards so I doubt very much he is delisted. We dont have another player like him and to delist him now would be counter productive IMO.

Supporters need to be mindful that not every kid is a star in the first couple of years on the list, some players need time to get their body and game right. Not one poster has mentioned Heath as a delisting option because he is a tall ruckman and they take time, well so do tall key positional players.

CURLY
Saintsational Legend

Hotton has had basically one season after coming off a very serious injury in his first year.

NO IFS OR BUTS HARVS IS KING OF THE AFL
axcellence
Club Player

meher baba wrote: Mon 26 Aug 2024 2:30pm As I understand it, Crouch will need to retire voluntarily, or else we will have to keep him on. Hopefully he will agree to go.

Surely Van Es and Ross are gone. I reckon Bonner should be gone too, but I suspect he'll be retained.

I don't understand why people think Hotton should be kept on: he's currently a million miles away from being selected to play in what all the experts say is the weakest midfield in the AFL. If we get hold of some better mids - even if we are only talking the likes of Shiel and Peatling - Hotton will be even further away.

Paton will probably get moved on, which is a pity, but we have plenty of his type. It sounds like the club wants to ditch Hayes as well.

I reckon McLennan and Allison might both get a reprieve through the rookie list, although there could conceivably be some interest from other clubs in Allison.

If Campbell is at all interested in playing on, I reckon we should sign him up. He's the best backup ruckman going around.

But the results of the end of season reviews are often difficult to predict, perhaps for the reasons set out by BM.
Just guessing here. Crouch may retire in November or early Feb. He would want to click into his final year, maybe?

spert
Saintsational Legend

meher baba wrote: Mon 26 Aug 2024 2:30pm As I understand it, Crouch will need to retire voluntarily, or else we will have to keep him on. Hopefully he will agree to go.

McLennan looks every bit like he is ready to step up to AFL footy after his senior games- there's definitely lots of potential. Probably similar in type to Paton who is too good for VFL, but clearly Lyon can't fit him in. Don 't know where Allison would fit into the bigger picture. Bonner I think will stay on.

meher baba
Saintsational Legend

It’s funny. On many threads on here the prevailing theme is “sack half the list, clear out the dead wood, we won’t tolerate mediocrity.”

But on this thread people are keen to hold on to very minor talents like Van Es, Hotton and McLennan. Not to mention Heath.

I think I’ve seen enough football to feel confident in suggesting that, sadly, none of these guys are going to make it in the long run. Most AFL players who are going to play 100 games or more have shown significant promise in their first 2-3 seasons. There are of course exceptions, but not heaps of them.

"It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into."
- Jonathan Swift
bobmurray
Saintsational Legend

I wonder when the players have their EXIT meetings.

Some get told, see you back here for pre-season training in November.

Some get told, thanks but no thanks, some might get told to get their managers to help them
find a club that might want to do a trade and then there are the players that are told they'll have to wait
until after the draft before the club can decide if they'll get another contract.

Who is in what category, i'm not going to guess so i'll have to wait for the club or the media to drip feed me the correct information.

The list changes for 2025 have begun, always an interesting time for an avid supporter.
D.B.Cooper
SS Hall of Fame

I'm guessing 9 changes:

FA
Battle

Retire
Ross
Crouch (injured)

Delist
Allison
Van Es
Bonner
Paton
Hayes
Hotton

Uncertain
Membrey
Jones
Heath (doesn't look like having the athleticism to me)
Campbell
McLennan (got a feeling he might not survive the cut)

I also think we'll take Sturt from Freo as a DFA and possibly another DFA.

There's only one rule in the jungle! When the LYON's hungry, he eats!
StPeter
Club Player

I read somewhere Membrey has been offered 3 years by another club.

If this is true he is likely to go.

Killa
Club Player

Given Crouch's recovery from his knee issues which restricted him to a part of 1 AFL game and some VFL games where he found the ball, we would add Crouch, Windhager, King, Henry and Caminiti to the side that played yesterday.

Plus IF we Draft another Wilson plus the remainder youth on our List put pressure on for spots.

So, who is under pressure for a spot?

You could put "all played well" over recent weeks.

So we start with:-

Ross - Over 30 and over 200 games, last at VFL
Hayes - 8 games across 3 years plus age.
Cordy - 8 games this season when Howard injured.
Allison - Yet to debut
Paton - 4 games this season.

Then you get to the assessments of Bonner, dropped at the wrong time of the season, Campbell, an Insurance policy, Hotton yet to demand attention, Hall ditto Hotton, Heath, cumbersome and linked to Campbell and O'Connell about whom not much is known.

Then Van Es, where 197cms plus 99kgs as a key defensive prospect may save him.

It would appear that Webster, Jones and Membrey have enhanced their CV''s at the least as required depth (we do not have that many experienced 30 year old, 200 game players).

With Battle, I await confirmation because until then it is idle chatter because his List status is what it is.

IF he values his association with the Club including the Administration, the players and the supporter base including the inner sanctum he will stay.

Being a 1 Club player has advantages in later life.

B.M
Saintsational Legend

How does it have advantages?

Big Max
Club Player

Beno88 wrote: Mon 26 Aug 2024 11:18am Allison seems a certainty to go.

Crouch is finished.

Hotton, Van Es, Keeler, McLennan and Heath should all stay on, but wouldn't be surprised if one or two are let go.

Hope like hell we don't lose Hunter Clark. Reckon he's under appreciated by many on this forum. Hunter has a unique ability to win the contested ball, and has been impactful in our recent winning form. He's had a shocking run with 'collision injuries', as opposed to soft tissue. Admittedly his game time has been limited to about 60% TOG, but I'd hope with a decent pre-season he could build up his fitness.

Killa
Club Player

As we age, our reputations are enhanced not only among those you played with but, by extension, among later generation players.

So, when you walk into THE Club you are recognized and acknowledged (acknowledging that St Kilda do not have a presentation of Premier sides adorning the Club rooms walls).

That is before you get to reunion functions.

A lifetime of memories, enhanced by others who have been on the same journey.

As a One Club player, that reputation is enhanced as is the enjoyment of it

A footy career lasts not much longer than 10 years, if you are lucky.

Memories last a lifetime.

The G Train Legacy
Club Player

The_Dud wrote: Mon 26 Aug 2024 11:03am I think both Jones and Membrey have done enough, which didn't look likely earlier this season
Membrey is back to his best and Jones has just demanded his spot.

Simon Templar
Club Player

Big Max wrote: Mon 26 Aug 2024 7:27pm
Beno88 wrote: Mon 26 Aug 2024 11:18am Allison seems a certainty to go.

Crouch is finished.

Hope like hell we don't lose Hunter Clark. Reckon he's under appreciated by many on this forum. Hunter has a unique ability to win the contested ball, and has been impactful in our recent winning form. He's had a shocking run with 'collision injuries', as opposed to soft tissue. Admittedly his game time has been limited to about 60% TOG, but I'd hope with a decent pre-season he could build up his fitness.

Anyone who is unconvinced about Hunter Clark has obviously not been watching the last part of the season, when injury free, he has been able to rejoin the 1st 18. He is Pendlebury like, matrix-like, the both of them, they make order out of chaos. He's a beauty, a gun and a keeper!!! Check the replays.....see for yourself !!

Go you good things....!!!
saintbob
SS Life Member

skeptic wrote: Mon 26 Aug 2024 1:34pm
Sanctorum wrote: Mon 26 Aug 2024 1:29pm
To be clear… the suggestion to me, is that Webster himself may be the one to pull the pin. No indication that he will be pushed
Has had a reasonable year since coming back from suspension. I didn’t particularly rate him in his early to mid years… just didn’t see the hype. He’s been great for the last 2-3 seasons though.
I’m pretty sure RTB said Jimmy had signed during his presser after the Geelong game.

saintbob
SS Life Member

These all should go, if we are serious about a list clean out;

Paton
Cordy
Allison
Ross
Campbell
Couch
Bonner
Hayes

I’m not sure Collard will stick around, he never really seemed to buy in and will probably go down the “home sickness” route to get back to WA.

cwrcyn
Saintsational Legend

Definite for me are

Paton
Allison
Crouch
Ross
Bonner

Maybe (depending on if we recruit a ruck from another club)

Heath
Campbell

Getting rid of Hotton and Van Es would be odd. Both had significant injuries in year one, and Van Es has played about eight games. Give them at least one more year after a solid preseason to give them a chance to show their true worth