Battle

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

CURLY
Saintsational Legend

Re: Battle

The_Dud wrote: Fri 23 Aug 2024 5:04pm
SinCitySainter wrote: Fri 23 Aug 2024 4:42pm
The_Dud wrote: Fri 23 Aug 2024 3:47pm
Moods wrote: Fri 23 Aug 2024 3:32pm
CURLY wrote: Fri 23 Aug 2024 1:01pm
The_Dud wrote: Fri 23 Aug 2024 12:28pm
SinCitySainter wrote: Fri 23 Aug 2024 10:54am
The_Dud wrote: Fri 23 Aug 2024 10:44am If we get anything less than a top 10 pick we've lost out massively, and will be another massive failure by our list management department.
How exactly is a player being offered way more than he is worth by another club a massive failure by our list management department?

Or do you think we should just pay over the top for everybody?
I would suggest paying $900K per year for Josh Battle would be a far bigger failure by our list management department.
St Kilda is happy to offer players who have done little/nothing for our club 'more than their worth' all the time!

Yet for a proven gun for us who is coming into his prime we suddenly skimp over $50K-$100k??

If we up the offer the 2 most likely outcomes are he leaves and we get a top 10 pick, or we get to keep a gun player.

Pretty simple.
Who judges what a player is worth? The market dictates the price and you're either in your out of the race. Battle has been offered a fantastic contract by both his club and a rival who wishes to pry him out. Not sure what StKilda has done wrong other than draft and develop a player.
Spot on
Letting a great player walk for grossly insufficient compensation would be what they're done wrong.
So you are saying that a man whose highest finish in the best and fairest is tenth should be one of the Saints highest paid players.
What does that say to the players who aren't getting almost a million a year for being middle of the pack at the club.
We should pay him what we would have offered him if Hawthorn did not come in for him, no more.
We should not get into a bidding war for him.
If we're saying that King is worth well over $1M then $900k for Battle is a bargain.

And I'd have him somewhere around the 5th-6th best player at the club right now.
Here’s a tip for free. Playing key back is far easier than key forward. King is worth that because that’s what the market dictates he’s worth.

NO IFS OR BUTS HARVS IS KING OF THE AFL
BadRossco
Club Player

Has our compensation for Josh already been decided as an end of round one which would be the same as we got for Gresham. It’s probably overs for Gresh but if true disappointing for Josh who was reportedly offered more money and is a consistent and very reliable defender compared to a small forward that runs around in circles and kicks the ball straight up in the air. Unfortunately we have no control over the outcome Josh can choose where he plays regardless of the actual offers are and the Hawks have a bit more upside at the moment. Josh maybe a bit undersized for a key defender but often brings the ball to ground in contests and that’s where the Hawks excel winning a big percentage of the ground balls. In any case we are St Kilda and the AFL are unlikely to give us any generosity.

D.B.Cooper
SS Hall of Fame

freely wrote: Fri 23 Aug 2024 5:06pm
D.B.Cooper wrote: Fri 23 Aug 2024 12:07pm
Moods wrote: Fri 23 Aug 2024 11:49am Battle has requested to run through the banner this weekend with his kids. I reckon that tells you all we need to know about what’s going to happen. I hope the club denies the request. He can f*** off as far as I’m concerned and take his big fat paycheck with him, but don’t expect everybody to give him a big cuddle on the way out.
If that request is correct, I think you are on the money.

Personally I'd be happy to support the request and honor his 8 years service and 120 games for the club.

This is his job and he has to do what is best for his family and their future, he has always given his all when on the field and continues to do so, he owes the club nothing.
This used to be called selfishness. When - and why - did we start applauding this??
Clubs make ruthless decisions on the future of young men trying to make the grade every season.

I applaud them doing so, just as I think the players should do what is in their best interest.

It’s business.

The only people who think club loyalty and playing for the jumper is valid are supporters.

As I wrote previously, you think his playing mates will start hating him if he leaves?

There's only one rule in the jungle! When the LYON's hungry, he eats!
D.B.Cooper
SS Hall of Fame

CURLY wrote: Fri 23 Aug 2024 5:30pm
The_Dud wrote: Fri 23 Aug 2024 5:04pm
SinCitySainter wrote: Fri 23 Aug 2024 4:42pm
The_Dud wrote: Fri 23 Aug 2024 3:47pm
Moods wrote: Fri 23 Aug 2024 3:32pm
CURLY wrote: Fri 23 Aug 2024 1:01pm
The_Dud wrote: Fri 23 Aug 2024 12:28pm
SinCitySainter wrote: Fri 23 Aug 2024 10:54am
The_Dud wrote: Fri 23 Aug 2024 10:44am If we get anything less than a top 10 pick we've lost out massively, and will be another massive failure by our list management department.
How exactly is a player being offered way more than he is worth by another club a massive failure by our list management department?

Or do you think we should just pay over the top for everybody?
I would suggest paying $900K per year for Josh Battle would be a far bigger failure by our list management department.
St Kilda is happy to offer players who have done little/nothing for our club 'more than their worth' all the time!

Yet for a proven gun for us who is coming into his prime we suddenly skimp over $50K-$100k??

If we up the offer the 2 most likely outcomes are he leaves and we get a top 10 pick, or we get to keep a gun player.

Pretty simple.
Who judges what a player is worth? The market dictates the price and you're either in your out of the race. Battle has been offered a fantastic contract by both his club and a rival who wishes to pry him out. Not sure what StKilda has done wrong other than draft and develop a player.
Spot on
Letting a great player walk for grossly insufficient compensation would be what they're done wrong.
So you are saying that a man whose highest finish in the best and fairest is tenth should be one of the Saints highest paid players.
What does that say to the players who aren't getting almost a million a year for being middle of the pack at the club.
We should pay him what we would have offered him if Hawthorn did not come in for him, no more.
We should not get into a bidding war for him.
If we're saying that King is worth well over $1M then $900k for Battle is a bargain.

And I'd have him somewhere around the 5th-6th best player at the club right now.
Here’s a tip for free. Playing key back is far easier than key forward. King is worth that because that’s what the market dictates he’s worth.
That’s twice in a thread I agree with Curly.

What the f*** is going on? 😂

silverhalo
Club Player

My gut feel that is the Saints will make an offer to Battle of $900K+ but he'll go to Hawthorn for less money - he is an unrestricted free agent so even if we match the bid, he is entitled to move on unfortunately.

Compensation of potentially pick 29 for Battle is disastrous for the club

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

We will get screwed.

Carna Norf!

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
cwrcyn
Saintsational Legend

Ross Lyon's presser today didn't fill me with hope on retaining Battle..

I know he's only 193cm, but so is Steven May. Battle has proven his worth as a very good key defender. He's a better player than Ben McKay.

Getting band 2 compensation would be criminal

Killa
Club Player

A few thoughts

Look at who Hawthorn have played to conclude their season - versus who we finish off against

Hawthorn will have a far harder draw next season - and we should have an easier draw

IF St Kilda have upped their offer to match or above Hawthorn and Battle is about security for his family but he goes anyway then what is going on?

And in regards May, May is over 100kgs and able to command space

Battle is near 20kgs lighter and whilst a good footballer and competitive he is not and will not be May

And I would add that Battie is suited to defence because he does not have the physical presence to play a commanding position forward such as King at 203cms has

Membrey with his marking is a freak - and Sharman can actually jump

A question therefore would you play Owens or Battle forward?

I would play Owens

I would also offer that it is the combination of Wilkie, Howard AND Battle that form our defence

bobmurray
Saintsational Legend

I'd prefer a forward line that had better players than King and Owens as it's prime forwards.

2024 for those 2 will go down as bog ordinary IMHO. Why is this so is the question i would ask the Aints brain trust. :evil:

The list changes for 2025 have begun, always an interesting time for an avid supporter.
magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

silverhalo wrote: Fri 23 Aug 2024 7:27pm My gut feel that is the Saints will make an offer to Battle of $900K+ but he'll go to Hawthorn for less money - he is an unrestricted free agent so even if we match the bid, he is entitled to move on unfortunately.

Compensation of potentially pick 29 for Battle is disastrous for the club
Pick 29 can't be right. How did McKay command pick 3. On what basis???

Posting 20 years of holey crap!
WellardSaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Perth- the best weather in Oz, but the worst rednecks.

Why would Battle go to Hawks on less money, if he's thinking of his family's financial security?

A real Sainter will pledge allegiance to the ❤🤍🖤 and despise the Pies, the Blues, and the Injectors.
Remember one of the 10 Commandments : Thou shalt have no other team before thee
SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

He won’t.

Rumour is that list management thought earlier this year that Battle was expendable and his compensation pick was going to be a key plank of the draft strategy.

They initially low balled him and now need to up their offer to get the compensation they’re seeking.

Geniuses.

St Dave
Club Player

SaintPav wrote: Sat 24 Aug 2024 1:28am He won’t.

Rumour is that list management thought earlier this year that Battle was expendable and his compensation pick was going to be a key plank of the draft strategy.

They initially low balled him and now need to up their offer to get the compensation they’re seeking.

Geniuses.
I wouldn't call 800-850k low balling, but it does seem they mucked up by underestimating what was needed to get after first pick compo.

It still doesn't mean it was a bad strategy, you shouldn't pay overs for anyone (except marquee players), but trying to be cute might cost them 13 picks in the order. Sounds like they are going back with a bit more, but we probably need to see if the draft is as deep as people are saying before worrying too much
Last edited by St Dave on Sat 24 Aug 2024 11:04am, edited 1 time in total.

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Battle along with Wilke and Howard form part of a solid defensive unit.

There should be plenty of room in the salary cap to accommodate him and others moving forward.

They can’t seem to attract any big name players anyway.

If a first round compensation pick isn’t on offer, I would prefer to hold on to him.

Howard and Wilke are approaching 30.

silverhalo
Club Player

WellardSaint wrote: Sat 24 Aug 2024 12:01am Why would Battle go to Hawks on less money, if he's thinking of his family's financial security?
We keep hearing that Hawthorn is in the premiership window - wants to win a flag

freely
SS Hall of Fame

D.B.Cooper wrote: Fri 23 Aug 2024 6:09pm
freely wrote: Fri 23 Aug 2024 5:06pm
D.B.Cooper wrote: Fri 23 Aug 2024 12:07pm
Moods wrote: Fri 23 Aug 2024 11:49am Battle has requested to run through the banner this weekend with his kids. I reckon that tells you all we need to know about what’s going to happen. I hope the club denies the request. He can f*** off as far as I’m concerned and take his big fat paycheck with him, but don’t expect everybody to give him a big cuddle on the way out.
If that request is correct, I think you are on the money.

Personally I'd be happy to support the request and honor his 8 years service and 120 games for the club.

This is his job and he has to do what is best for his family and their future, he has always given his all when on the field and continues to do so, he owes the club nothing.
This used to be called selfishness. When - and why - did we start applauding this??
Clubs make ruthless decisions on the future of young men trying to make the grade every season.

I applaud them doing so, just as I think the players should do what is in their best interest.

It’s business.

The only people who think club loyalty and playing for the jumper is valid are supporters.

As I wrote previously, you think his playing mates will start hating him if he leaves?
No, his mates would all do the same. That's what saddens me. It's not only a football thing. Like when there's a budget and all anyone wants to know is 'what's in it for me?'

hamborger

silverhalo wrote: Sat 24 Aug 2024 5:51pm
WellardSaint wrote: Sat 24 Aug 2024 12:01am Why would Battle go to Hawks on less money, if he's thinking of his family's financial security?
We keep hearing that Hawthorn is in the premiership window - wants to win a flag
So he lauds the direction that the club is heading in under Ross Lyon, but still wants to get out the door because he doesn't have enough confidence in that direction being what gets us to a flag. Makes sense.

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

It all works well when you're the third banana in a well-oiled machine until you're suddenly the undersized second pillar of defence and next in line to be main defender in an unfamiliar environment.

St Dave
Club Player

hamborger wrote: Sat 24 Aug 2024 8:23pm
silverhalo wrote: Sat 24 Aug 2024 5:51pm
So he lauds the direction that the club is heading in under Ross Lyon, but still wants to get out the door because he doesn't have enough confidence in that direction being what gets us to a flag. Makes sense.
Would you expect him to say anything different about Lyon while he is still being paid by the club?

meher baba
Saintsational Legend

SaintPav wrote: Sat 24 Aug 2024 9:28pm It all works well when you're the third banana in a well-oiled machine until you're suddenly the undersized second pillar of defence and next in line to be main defender in an unfamiliar environment.
Yep. Spot on.

"It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into."
- Jonathan Swift
repta
Club Player

Offer Battle more.
We had loony tunes amounts for Weitering.

Offer him what is required for first round compo. Force Hawks.to pay it.

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

It was reported that Battle made a request to the AFL asking if he and his kids could run through the banner at today’s game, which they declined. If true, it's a strange request, as it's not a milestone game.

It's funny that this was leaked to the media.​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​

Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

SaintPav wrote: Sun 25 Aug 2024 10:20am It was reported that Battle made a request to the AFL asking if he and his kids could run through the banner at today’s game, which they declined. If true, it's a strange request, as it's not a milestone game.

It's funny that this was leaked to the media.​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​
Somebody is obviously unhappy with Battle to have leaked it.
Or St Kilda getting out in front of a media story that they denied him?

D.B.Cooper
SS Hall of Fame

Already moved on, l’m interested in the players staying not going.

Good luck Josh, I hope you go well except when we play Hawthorn, then I wish for Gresham like performance against us.

silverhalo
Club Player

I'm really disappointed that the club requested for him to run through the banner with his kid - why would we celebrate one of our best players choosing to leave our club????