Battle

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

Re: Battle

If we get anything less than a top 10 pick we've lost out massively, and will be another massive failure by our list management department.

All posters are equal, but some posters are more equal than others.
SinCitySainter
Club Player

The_Dud wrote: Fri 23 Aug 2024 10:44am If we get anything less than a top 10 pick we've lost out massively, and will be another massive failure by our list management department.
How exactly is a player being offered way more than he is worth by another club a massive failure by our list management department?

Or do you think we should just pay over the top for everybody?
I would suggest paying $900K per year for Josh Battle would be a far bigger failure by our list management department.

silverhalo
Club Player

We simply cannot lose Josh Battle for pick 29 - that is inherently wrong! If it means upping the offer to him to trigger Band 1 compo, so be it.

SinCitySainter
Club Player

silverhalo wrote: Fri 23 Aug 2024 11:04am We simply cannot lose Josh Battle for pick 29 - that is inherently wrong! If it means upping the offer to him to trigger Band 1 compo, so be it.
Firstly, he is an unrestricted free agent so if he wants to go he can no matter how much we offer.
If we decide to push up the offer we may end up keeping him at close to $1M a year.
What will Sinclair, Steele, Marshall, Wilkie and even Nas have to say about that?
They will all be demanding north of a million if we show we are willing to pay those numbers.
Our salary cap would be blown away by doing something as stupid as giving a guy whose best finish in the best and fairest is tenth that sort of money.

CURLY
Saintsational Legend

Did anyone honestly think we’d get looked after.

NO IFS OR BUTS HARVS IS KING OF THE AFL
B.M
Saintsational Legend

Yes that extra size makes a huge difference

You can play undersized

But can be exposed

The best key backs
Andrews, May, Taylor, Barrass, Jones, Weitering

Are all monsters

Moods
Saintsational Legend

Battle has requested to run through the banner this weekend with his kids. I reckon that tells you all we need to know about what’s going to happen. I hope the club denies the request. He can f*** off as far as I’m concerned and take his big fat paycheck with him, but don’t expect everybody to give him a big cuddle on the way out.

CURLY
Saintsational Legend

The_Dud wrote: Fri 23 Aug 2024 10:44am If we get anything less than a top 10 pick we've lost out massively, and will be another massive failure by our list management department.
How so?

Odd but not surprising that you want to blame StKilda.

Moods
Saintsational Legend

He's entitled to leave the club at the end of the contract, we offered him a really good counter offer to Hawthorn, and now he wants everyone to be best mates with him as he leaves. Doesn't work that way your decisions have consequences. I won't boo him or anything like that, but he's an opposition player now and he can f*** off.

D.B.Cooper
SS Hall of Fame

Moods wrote: Fri 23 Aug 2024 11:49am Battle has requested to run through the banner this weekend with his kids. I reckon that tells you all we need to know about what’s going to happen. I hope the club denies the request. He can f*** off as far as I’m concerned and take his big fat paycheck with him, but don’t expect everybody to give him a big cuddle on the way out.
If that request is correct, I think you are on the money.

Personally I'd be happy to support the request and honor his 8 years service and 120 games for the club.

This is his job and he has to do what is best for his family and their future, he has always given his all when on the field and continues to do so, he owes the club nothing.

There's only one rule in the jungle! When the LYON's hungry, he eats!
D.B.Cooper
SS Hall of Fame

CURLY wrote: Fri 23 Aug 2024 11:51am
How so?

It is and would be disappointing to lose players like Gresham and now Battle for second round picks (end of first pushed back).
We should not over pay these guys as they are good players but not top tier.

However I have an issue if we have (as reported) made a huge offer to a player such as Stengle, and paid overs (in monetary terms) for the likes of Hill, Jones, Crouch & Hannebery. At least Hill and Crouch have provided good service and Crouch was a FA.

Unless you are in the trenches with list management and are fully versed in our short, medium and long term strategy it is very hard IMO to judge the clubs actions.

If we get 1st round (#6) we win, if we get end of first (mid second) we are bent over.
Will be an interesting outcome, I think (based on Moods post being correct) all points to Josh leaving at this point in time.

Moods
Saintsational Legend

D.B.Cooper wrote: Fri 23 Aug 2024 12:07pm
Moods wrote: Fri 23 Aug 2024 11:49am Battle has requested to run through the banner this weekend with his kids. I reckon that tells you all we need to know about what’s going to happen. I hope the club denies the request. He can f*** off as far as I’m concerned and take his big fat paycheck with him, but don’t expect everybody to give him a big cuddle on the way out.

Personally I'd be happy to support the request and honor his 8 years service and 120 games for the club.

This is his job and he has to do what is best for his family and their future, he has always given his all when on the field and continues to do so, he owes the club nothing.
And the club owes him nothing. He’s cashed in at the first available opportunity. We offered him a good deal and plenty of opportunities

The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

SinCitySainter wrote: Fri 23 Aug 2024 10:54am
How exactly is a player being offered way more than he is worth by another club a massive failure by our list management department?

I would suggest paying $900K per year for Josh Battle would be a far bigger failure by our list management department.
St Kilda is happy to offer players who have done little/nothing for our club 'more than their worth' all the time!

Yet for a proven gun for us who is coming into his prime we suddenly skimp over $50K-$100k??

If we up the offer the 2 most likely outcomes are he leaves and we get a top 10 pick, or we get to keep a gun player.

Pretty simple.

Moods
Saintsational Legend

D.B.Cooper wrote: Fri 23 Aug 2024 12:15pm
CURLY wrote: Fri 23 Aug 2024 11:51am
How so?

It is and would be disappointing to lose players like Gresham and now Battle for second round picks (end of first pushed back).
We should not over pay these guys as they are good players but not top tier.

However I have an issue if we have (as reported) made a huge offer to a player such as Stengle, and paid overs (in monetary terms) for the likes of Hill, Jones, Crouch & Hannebery. At least Hill and Crouch have provided good service and Crouch was a FA.

Unless you are in the trenches with list management and are fully versed in our short, medium and long term strategy it is very hard IMO to judge the clubs actions.

If we get 1st round (#6) we win, if we get end of first (mid second) we are bent over.
Will be an interesting outcome, I think (based on Moods post being correct) all points to Josh leaving at this point in time.
It’s correct. Reported on SEN this morning. Apparently AFL have denied the request. As they should

D.B.Cooper
SS Hall of Fame

Moods wrote: Fri 23 Aug 2024 12:20pm

And the club owes him nothing. He’s cashed in at the first available opportunity. We offered him a good deal and plenty of opportunities
I hear your point but totally disagree.

He has been compensated for the service he has provided.

He is an employee who may choose to change employer, if so he's free to do so.

If he does leave I'll bet you he doesn't lose any of his friendships or respect of the playing group, coaches or club staff.

D.B.Cooper
SS Hall of Fame

The_Dud wrote: Fri 23 Aug 2024 12:28pm

St Kilda is happy to offer players who have done little/nothing for our club 'more than their worth' all the time!

Yet for a proven gun for us who is coming into his prime we suddenly skimp over $50K-$100k??

If we up the offer the 2 most likely outcomes are he leaves and we get a top 10 pick, or we get to keep a gun player.

Pretty simple.
I agree with this!

CURLY
Saintsational Legend

Pretty simple.
Who judges what a player is worth? The market dictates the price and you're either in your out of the race. Battle has been offered a fantastic contract by both his club and a rival who wishes to pry him out. Not sure what StKilda has done wrong other than draft and develop a player.

Moods
Saintsational Legend

CURLY wrote: Fri 23 Aug 2024 1:01pm

Pretty simple.
Who judges what a player is worth? The market dictates the price and you're either in your out of the race. Battle has been offered a fantastic contract by both his club and a rival who wishes to pry him out. Not sure what StKilda has done wrong other than draft and develop a player.
Spot on

The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

Moods wrote: Fri 23 Aug 2024 3:32pm

Pretty simple.
Spot on
Letting a great player walk for grossly insufficient compensation would be what they're done wrong.

SinCitySainter
Club Player

The_Dud wrote: Fri 23 Aug 2024 3:47pm

Pretty simple.
Spot on
Letting a great player walk for grossly insufficient compensation would be what they're done wrong.
So you are saying that a man whose highest finish in the best and fairest is tenth should be one of the Saints highest paid players.
What does that say to the players who aren't getting almost a million a year for being middle of the pack at the club.
We should pay him what we would have offered him if Hawthorn did not come in for him, no more.
We should not get into a bidding war for him.

The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

SinCitySainter wrote: Fri 23 Aug 2024 4:42pm

Pretty simple.
Spot on
So you are saying that a man whose highest finish in the best and fairest is tenth should be one of the Saints highest paid players.
What does that say to the players who aren't getting almost a million a year for being middle of the pack at the club.
We should pay him what we would have offered him if Hawthorn did not come in for him, no more.
We should not get into a bidding war for him.
If we're saying that King is worth well over $1M then $900k for Battle is a bargain.

And I'd have him somewhere around the 5th-6th best player at the club right now.
Last edited by The_Dud on Fri 23 Aug 2024 5:07pm, edited 2 times in total.

freely
SS Hall of Fame

This used to be called selfishness. When - and why - did we start applauding this??

Sanctorum
Club Player

If Battle does decide to take up Hawthorn's offer it surely does not mean that the club is "letting a great player walk for grossly insufficient compensation" Dud - we'll never know what St Kilda has offered him to remain at Moorabbin.

Players often move for reasons other than money and there's no doubt that the way the Hawks have been playing bloody good footy in the 2nd half of the season and playing finals with a bunch of youngsters it's no wonder this will attract UFAs to join the party at Waverley Park.

From what's been reported in the media over the past 6 weeks it sounds to me that it's simply a case of Josh believing the sales pitch put to him by Sam Mitchell: "We're a happy team at Hawthorn...."

On the report that Battle has asked to run through the banner with his family in Saints clobber on Sunday, could not this also be interpreted to mean that he has decided to stay???

"Where there is no hope, it is incumbent on us to invent it.."

Albert Camus (1913-1960) French philospher
The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

Sanctorum wrote: Fri 23 Aug 2024 5:11pm
If Battle does decide to take up Hawthorn's offer it surely does not mean that the club is "letting a great player walk for grossly insufficient compensation" Dud - we'll never know what St Kilda has offered him to remain at Moorabbin.

Players often move for reasons other than money and there's no doubt that the way the Hawks have been playing bloody good footy in the 2nd half of the season and playing finals with a bunch of youngsters it's no wonder this will attract UFAs to join the party at Waverley Park.

From what's been reported in the media over the past 6 weeks it sounds to me that it's simply a case of Josh believing the sales pitch put to him by Sam Mitchell: "We're a happy team at Hawthorn...."

On the report that Battle has asked to run through the banner with his family in Saints clobber on Sunday, could not this also be interpreted to mean that he has decided to stay???
I think its even more worrying if a player with 6+ years left in his career is leaving because he doesn't see a bright future for St Kilda, so hopefully its just the money!

CURLY
Saintsational Legend

Pretty simple.
Spot on
We aren’t letting him walk though we are trying to keep him. I’m almost certain the money isn’t what his desision will be based on either way.