Who is the worst coach in the AFL

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

CURLY
Saintsational Legend

Re: Who is the worst coach in the AFL

spert wrote: Tue 06 Aug 2024 12:58pm
Yorkeys wrote: Tue 06 Aug 2024 12:06pm
spert wrote: Tue 06 Aug 2024 11:46am This season on results, Yze and Lyon are the under-performers, as both teams have gone backwards. Like it or not, if we have player issues, as history shows, it will be the coach who gets moved on and not the players.
Melbourne? Collingwood?

Something Tiges and us have in common are injuries to the key forward and to serious playmakers eg Dusty and Crouch/Henry.

My guess is it will be players that get moved on and Ross will see out his 4 year commitment.

I also guess the president has no time for plenty that played Sunday and will make that clear to the list managers. Possibly even the baby in the bath water is in jeopardy after that non effort.
Melbourne and Collingwood can point to their recent premiership trophies, we can't. Rather have a lull after a premiership than a lull after an almost there but not quite etc. Lyon was supposedly brought in as Bassat amongst other things was sick of blowout losses- he has egg on his face with this crap$y season served up to us.
Had two bad performances in terms of blow outs in a year of development I can live with that.

NO IFS OR BUTS HARVS IS KING OF THE AFL
Scollop
Saintsational Legend

Vortex wrote: Tue 06 Aug 2024 9:55am
CURLY wrote: Tue 06 Aug 2024 9:28am
Imagine having to work with a midfield of Greene, Coniglio, Kelly, Ward, Callaghan with Whitfield , Toby Greene, Aish, Daniel Cummings etc
I know right, without Kingsley stumbling into the joint only 18 months ago, that bunch would be nowhere...

Kingers is looking like he can coach at the level, but I know Lyon envies the he'll out of his list and the endless supply of AFL gifts in the draft he will be afforded along the way.
It’s not an endless supply by the way. Recruiting and getting the best out of Jesse Hogan has nothing to do with any AFL gifts. Recruiting Toby Bedford same…

A third of their current list is good choices after 2013/14 when their draft concessions ended. They benefit from their academy but so did we and so do other clubs.

Some of the GWS players right now, St Kilda and other clubs could have easily taken before them. Sam Taylor and Brent Daniels come to mind and a few others who are currently best 22.

CURLY
Saintsational Legend

Scollop wrote: Tue 06 Aug 2024 2:05pm
Vortex wrote: Tue 06 Aug 2024 9:55am
CURLY wrote: Tue 06 Aug 2024 9:28am
Imagine having to work with a midfield of Greene, Coniglio, Kelly, Ward, Callaghan with Whitfield , Toby Greene, Aish, Daniel Cummings etc
I know right, without Kingsley stumbling into the joint only 18 months ago, that bunch would be nowhere...

Kingers is looking like he can coach at the level, but I know Lyon envies the he'll out of his list and the endless supply of AFL gifts in the draft he will be afforded along the way.
It’s not an endless supply by the way. Recruiting and getting the best out of Jesse Hogan has nothing to do with any AFL gifts. Recruiting Toby Bedford same…

A third of their current list is good choices after 2013/14 when their draft concessions ended. They benefit from their academy but so did we and so do other clubs.

Some of the GWS players right now, St Kilda and other clubs could have easily taken before them. Sam Taylor and Brent Daniels come to mind and a few others who are currently best 22.
Every club has a list of players they can rattle off that were great late selections. What they don't have is an endless supply of first round elite talent like GWS.
Close to the best list in the AFL and will only get better as they have surplus of top end players and will need to make room for the AFL gifts they receive each year.

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

CURLY wrote: Tue 06 Aug 2024 2:10pm
Every club has a list of players they can rattle off that were great late selections. What they don't have is an endless supply of first round elite talent like GWS.
Close to the best list in the AFL and will only get better as they have surplus of top end players and will need to make room for the AFL gifts they receive each year.
Endless supply? Are their AFL gifts in perpetuity are they?

CURLY
Saintsational Legend

Scollop wrote: Tue 06 Aug 2024 2:13pm
Academy and zoned players yes. Kingsley has landed a great gig.

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

CURLY wrote: Tue 06 Aug 2024 2:21pm
That's not exactly an "endless supply of first round elite talent". There's also talk of unwinding of the zones etc..

But I don't doubt you'll still be saying their potential success in 2034 is because of what happened in 2011 😇

CURLY
Saintsational Legend

Scollop wrote: Tue 06 Aug 2024 2:31pm
CURLY wrote: Tue 06 Aug 2024 2:21pm
That's not exactly an "endless supply of first round elite talent". There's also talk of unwinding of the zones etc..

But I don't doubt you'll still be saying their potential success in 2034 is because of what happened in 2011 😇
Talking about now. Tom Green Academy Isaac Cumming Academy Sam Taylor Academy Himmleberg Academy Briggs Academy Kennedy Academy Buckley Cat B.

Fair list of gifts.

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

You make it sound like ALL of them were exclusively GWS players and no one else could bid on them. That's not true and you know it

That's why I specifically mentioned Taylor and Daniels

This year... there's changes being made to NGA rules which will possibly benefit St Kilda. Is GWS going to whinge that we're getting AFL gifts?

CURLY
Saintsational Legend

Scollop wrote: Tue 06 Aug 2024 2:58pm You make it sound like ALL of them were exclusively GWS players and no one else could bid on them. That's not true and you know it

That's why I specifically mentioned Taylor and Daniels

This year... there's changes being made to NGA rules which will possibly benefit St Kilda. Is GWS going to whinge that we're getting AFL gifts?
Bid on them big deal they want them they get them.

Full Back
CHB
RUCKMAN
Gun mid
Excellent start to a team.

Bin Chicken
Club Player

If RTB or Hardwick coached Port or Lions over the last 5 years, they would’ve won multiple flags. Hinkley and Fagan are lucky to be still in the business with their frequent choking.

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

Bin Chicken wrote: Tue 06 Aug 2024 3:56pm If RTB or Hardwick coached Port or Lions over the last 5 years, they would’ve won multiple flags. Hinkley and Fagan are lucky to be still in the business with their frequent choking.
Interesting take. Did RTB choke in 2009 and 2010?

B.M
Saintsational Legend

Coaches aren’t good one year and poor the next

Or good one week and poor the next

They are the same

It’s the team that fluctuates - I laugh when I see coaches getting all the credit or indeed all the blame

Players win or lose games - period

I’ve seen s*** coaches win a premiership- never seen a poor team win one!

freely
SS Hall of Fame

B.M wrote: Tue 06 Aug 2024 10:45pm Coaches aren’t good one year and poor the next

They are the same

It’s the team that fluctuates - I laugh when I see coaches getting all the credit or indeed all the blame

Lord oh lord, yes we know.

Do you think we should have a thread where every poster puts up their core beef? Then you're not allowed to reiterate it in any other thread. If necessary you can just say, "See my core beef."

Imagine! No more of curly's umps, no more teffers channeling rtb's mum, no more bm's lecture on coaches versus teams... You may say I'm a dreamer....

Nick DalSanto Claus
Club Player

freely wrote: Wed 07 Aug 2024 12:27am
B.M wrote: Tue 06 Aug 2024 10:45pm Coaches aren’t good one year and poor the next

They are the same

Lord oh lord, yes we know.

Do you think we should have a thread where every poster puts up their core beef? Then you're not allowed to reiterate it in any other thread. If necessary you can just say, "See my core beef."

Imagine! No more of curly's umps, no more teffers channeling rtb's mum, no more bm's lecture on coaches versus teams... You may say I'm a dreamer....
But you're not the only one.......

"There is only one thing in the world worse than being talked about, and that is not being talked about."
Yorkeys
Saintsational Legend

I guess current imaginings include:
- JB's decision, which seems interminable in the making but will happen soonish;
- draft selections;
- philosophy the Club will adopt in fielding a side next year;
- how this years debutants develop;
- rehabs of Max and Liam;
- delistings;
- approach to selection for last 3 games;
- the implosion if we don't even make a wildcard position in 2025;
- onfield leadership in 2025;
- preseason titbits; and
- what it might be like to have a side contending in September.
?

Selhurst Saint
Club Player

Definitely Michael Voss.

"...If there has been one recurring theme through this whole shocking mess, it has been the misguided, inflated egos and their ill-judged determination to cling to long-standing old boy friendships. The bad advice that has guided the selfish and culpable James Hird has not only punctuated this saga but symbolised it..."
SinCitySainter
Club Player

Bin Chicken wrote: Tue 06 Aug 2024 3:56pm If RTB or Hardwick coached Port or Lions over the last 5 years, they would’ve won multiple flags. Hinkley and Fagan are lucky to be still in the business with their frequent choking.
Really, I understand saying Hardwick as he has a history of taking good sides and winning premierships with them. RTB has a history of taking good sides and failing to win anything with them.

Yorkeys
Saintsational Legend

Live Ladder: C. Fagin.

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

Scollop wrote: Mon 22 Jul 2024 12:32pm
My number 1 is Simon Goodwin
Bump

Goodwin might be the reason Demons lose Christian Petracca

It would be ironic (and weird) if he ended up at Collingwood. I know Darcy Moore didn't do anything illegal or malicious but he was the cause of Petracca's injuries.

It'd be like Peter Caven from Sydney requesting a trade to St Kilda ...with Lockett still at our club :shock: :mrgreen:

The G Train Legacy
Club Player

Scollop wrote: Mon 22 Jul 2024 12:32pm Only current Coaches qualify

My number 1 is Simon Goodwin

In 2018 they made a prelim and then for 2 years in a row they missed finals. In 2019 they finished 17th. In 2020 they nearly sacked him...but that's when they decided to bring in Mark (Choco) Williams

They won the flag in spite of the fact that he was coaching in 2021. Choco Williams was the driver of that premiership

When Melbourne destroyed The Bulldogs in that Grand Final, many commentators were calling this the beginning of another Golden era for the Melbourne FC.

This year, even without Angus Brayshaw they're now looking at missing the finals again. He's failed dismally considering the talent he had at his disposal. I know they've had injuries, but who doesn't?

Their style of play, his team selection, his game plan and game day coaching have baffled their own supporter base
It is simply counter intuitive to suggest that a Coach who won a Premiership 3 years ago, is the worst in the competition!

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

Do you think there’s one person that looks after the players and motivates the players and only one coach who provides the pre-game strategies and the game day coaching? We’re not living in the 70’s or in 1980.

The coaching group is more important as a group than just looking at the head coach alone.

Let me put it to you in another way. Do you know how a bike cog works? If you lose some of those teeth in that cog, does it mean you come to a halt? Of course not. Melbourne had built up momentum. That club and that chain and that cog was humming.

Take Goodwin out of that coaching group and replace him with Alan Richardson and they would have still won it in 2021…as along as Choco was there at every training session and sitting there on GF day :mrgreen:

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Easy question to answer. Lyon can be the worst coach in the AFL on some days, And the very best on other days. The Geelong game actually was a clear example of the very worst and very best, all in the one game, on the one day.

Well, that's the perception one would get reading this forum.

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

It ain’t my messiah

RTB fanboy

saynta
Saintsational Legend

The Fireman wrote: Tue 20 Aug 2024 6:42pm It ain’t my messiah

RTB fanboy
:wink: 8-) :lol:

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

Melbourne... with their star studded midfield and their All Australian key position backs have failed yet again under Goodwin

Yes...I know they've been missing for large parts of the year, but other squads have had the same problems.

If we beat Carlton we'll be above them on the ladder