King for Petracca?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

perfectionist
Saintsational Legend

King for Petracca?

A straight swap.

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

Re: King for Petracca?

I’m sorry but :roll:

B.M
Saintsational Legend

He’s 29 next year

We are not in any window

No fkn way

He is the last player I’d trade - key forwards are rare as hens teeth

Yorkeys
Saintsational Legend

Petracca has busted ribs, busted lung, no spleen and lost his bottle. Max just has a pcl issue. We'd need draft picks, free medical and psych access to consider a change. And forget about attracting Ben.

magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

Bring back Paddy McCartin. He has a good character.

Posting 20 years of holey crap!
Rubyjo
Club Player

Lol

silverhalo
Club Player

He's a bit old now..... doesn't suit us

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

perfectionist wrote: Mon 19 Aug 2024 5:37pm A straight swap.
It's a brilliant idea. If Petracca makes a full recovery he's got 5 years of super footy left in him. He's not a party boy like Hannebery or Oliver

The president and the CEO and board made a 'ruthless' call in many people's opinion, when they sacked Ratten. Why not make another ruthless call

Would need to get independent medical advice

D.B.Cooper
SS Hall of Fame

Only if they do a Billings type deal and pay half his wage and throw in Oliver as steak knives.

There's only one rule in the jungle! When the LYON's hungry, he eats!
D.B.Cooper
SS Hall of Fame

magnifisaint wrote: Mon 19 Aug 2024 7:14pm Bring back Paddy McCartin. He has a good character.
Richo: “Are you worried about his aerobic capacity”

Trout: “His dad was a cross country runner”

I kid you not, the story went something along those lines.

If my dad was a brain surgeon, would you let me operate on you?

There's only one rule in the jungle! When the LYON's hungry, he eats!
B.M
Saintsational Legend

AR: Is his diabetes a problem

Trout: Nope, in fact it’s a positive, it’ll make him better because he has to manage it

I s*** you not!

His skin folds are off the charts, is that an issue? Nope, he hired a personal trainer

We need this bloke to be a ripper!

Yep, he’s our man
Comes from a good family, interviews well, great kid

Never mind the freak that won the Larke Medal, won Eastern Ranges B&F and was runner up in the Morrish who is 186/92 can dunk a basketball is ridiculously explosive
We’ll take the shortish, fat, one dimensional key forward who drops marks and is a poor set shot!

The G Train Legacy
Club Player

Scollop wrote: Mon 19 Aug 2024 8:28pm
perfectionist wrote: Mon 19 Aug 2024 5:37pm A straight swap.
It's a brilliant idea. If Petracca makes a full recovery he's got 5 years of super footy left in him. He's not a party boy like Hannebery or Oliver

The president and the CEO and board made a 'ruthless' call in many people's opinion, when they sacked Ratten. Why not make another ruthless call

Would need to get independent medical advice
King is 24 (a key forward, harder to find) and hasn't reached his peak. Petracca is 29 and will soon be entering the last phase of his career. He only has a couple of years left as a mid, before he spends more time as a forward. Also, he's coming off a serious injury and you don't yet know if he'll be the same player.

And where would we find a key forward to replace King?

Ruthless call? More like a stupid call.

The G Train Legacy
Club Player

B.M wrote: Mon 19 Aug 2024 9:37pm AR: Is his diabetes a problem

Trout: Nope, in fact it’s a positive, it’ll make him better because he has to manage it

I s*** you not!

His skin folds are off the charts, is that an issue? Nope, he hired a personal trainer

We need this bloke to be a ripper!

Yep, he’s our man
Comes from a good family, interviews well, great kid

Never mind the freak that won the Larke Medal, won Eastern Ranges B&F and was runner up in the Morrish who is 186/92 can dunk a basketball is ridiculously explosive
We’ll take the shortish, fat, one dimensional key forward who drops marks and is a poor set shot!
Hindsight is a wonderful thing. Your description of McCartin as a player is wrong. McCartin was a victim of concussion, there is no evidence that had anything to do with his diabetes. He would have been a gun as a key forward. May not have been elite as a set shot, but he had plenty of tricks and was a magnificent reader of the ball in flight.

After having hardly played for us (including Sandy), he misses 4 years and comes back to quickly become one of the best CHBs in the competition. If he hadn't been stopped by concussion, he probably would have moved forward when Buddy retired and become a dominant big forward.

Arguments that we should've taken Bontempelli ahead of Billings are fair enough. However, the McCartin situation was just bad luck. If you didn't take McCartin, then in hindsight, you'd take DeGoey ahead of Petracca anyway.

samoht
Saintsational Legend
Location: https://www.amazon.com.au/Fugitive-Sold ... B00EO1GCNK

Following on from the above discussion (sorry to digress a little) ... on the one hand, we saw how McCartin quickly adapted to become one of the best AFL defenders, post all his serious concussions, and after never really getting his body right .. but St Kilda only sees King as a 'stay at home" full forward?
That's it?

No wonder we're where we're at, and never where we could/should be.

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

The G Train Legacy wrote: Tue 20 Aug 2024 11:12am
Petracca is 29 and will soon be entering the last phase of his career. He only has a couple of years left as a mid
I know this will be difficult for you (because we have no idea how long before dementia sets in for you) but try and remember what you just wrote in a few years time. I know it's your personal opinion, but based on everything we know about the athlete and the man...it's a dumbass opinion

Sanctorum
Club Player

B.M wrote: Mon 19 Aug 2024 6:31pm He’s 29 next year

We are not in any window

No fkn way

He is the last player I’d trade - key forwards are rare as hens teeth
Are you sure this particular hen actually has teeth BM?? He's shown bugger-all signs that he does!

Anyway, I very much doubt Petracca will leave Melbourne while on his mega long term contract.

"Where there is no hope, it is incumbent on us to invent it.."

Albert Camus (1913-1960) French philospher
The G Train Legacy
Club Player

Scollop wrote: Tue 20 Aug 2024 11:59am
Petracca is 29 and will soon be entering the last phase of his career. He only has a couple of years left as a mid
I know this will be difficult for you (because we have no idea how long before dementia sets in for you) but try and remember what you just wrote in a few years time. I know it's your personal opinion, but based on everything we know about the athlete and the man...it's a dumbass opinion
I'm happy to stand by it mate, we'll see, I assure you I'll remember and let you know all about it.

Petracca is a fine player, but he won't be playing full midfield minutes as he gets into his 30s, which is exactly what's happened with Dustin Martin (who at his peak was a level above Petracca). Petracca certainly isn't the supreme gut runner that Rob Harvey was.

And by the time Petracca gets to that stage, King will be kicking 80 a year and dominating.

TheGreatZacsby
Club Player

I hope this shuts up all you Max King haters.

Here is some cold hard facts for you insipid losers who think Max King is crap, and that we should trade him out.

Charlie Curnow - 194 cm key fwd, two time Coleman medalist. Here is his stats in his first 5 seasons at Blues:

Goals (average) = 1.1
Behinds (average) = 0.7
Games Played (average) = 12.4

So in an average season for Charlie Curnow in his first 5 seasons he averaged about 1 goal, 1 behind and played for half a season (thereabouts). He also has a second fiddle with Mackay in some of those seasons and Carlton as much as I hate them has a better midfield in that time than we did, so delivery was better than ours.

Now Max King - 202 cm key fwd (he’s bigger). Here’s his stats in his first 5 seasons at Saints:

Goals (average) = 1.92
Behinds (average) = 1.32
Games Played (average) = 16.6* (*Includes 3 games were he was subbed off)

So in an average season for Max King in his first 5 seasons with us, Max King averages about 2 goals, 1 behind a game and the stats are slightly screwed because he was subbed off in 3 of those games and was on the park more than Curnow.

Imagine if Carlton didn’t persist with Curnow. Than what? Max King will come good. Curnow blew up in his 6th and 7th season and had a similar injury history like Max. Just be patient. You don’t find talent like this in the draft. 202cm key fwds in the top 5 of the draft are unicorns.

BE PATIENT SAINTERS!

samoht
Saintsational Legend

Relying on one key forward can backfire, as Carlton found out with Curnow in last year's finals.

It's not so much how many goals King averages, but how many our side is now averaging without him.

We have a better functioning forward line ... with lots of equal options.
No King, but plenty of minions and mobile marking forwards doing well, combining beautifully together.

Emerging from under His shadow.

Our forward line is humming. Even Steele is kicking goals.
No more predictability.

We're now leaving room for and encouraging players such as Wilson, Henry and Phillipou to also run in and kick goals - now that there's no unhealthy focus on kicking it to one largely static, tall player.

I think King could make a great backman. Why not?

We'll probably need someone tall and young in the backline ... it looks like Battle might be gone?
Last edited by samoht on Tue 20 Aug 2024 1:58pm, edited 1 time in total.

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

Re: King for Petracca

The G Train Legacy wrote: Tue 20 Aug 2024 1:04pm
Scollop wrote: Tue 20 Aug 2024 11:59am
I'm happy to stand by it mate, we'll see, I assure you I'll remember and let you know all about it.

Petracca is a fine player, but he won't be playing full midfield minutes as he gets into his 30s, which is exactly what's happened with Dustin Martin (who at his peak was a level above Petracca). Petracca certainly isn't the supreme gut runner that Rob Harvey was.

And by the time Petracca gets to that stage, King will be kicking 80 a year and dominating.
Two things. Firstly - you obviously don’t understand the difference between Dustin Martin and Christian Petracca as far as what they do in the off season.

One bloke has repeatedly gone on overseas trips to Las Vegas with blokes like Sam Fisher and Dane Swan…and the the other bloke goes to Italy to visit monuments and lie on the beach with his partner. One bloke gets to bed each night around midnight, and the other bloke goes on a bender for days at a time. If you dont’t understand what that does to your body after a while…just have a look at what it did to Hannebery

Secondly - Can’t wait for King to get 80 goals a season. I’ll be happy if he can consistently get 50-60.

samoht
Saintsational Legend

What's more important, King kicking 60 goals a season, or our side kicking 100 more goals per season and being less predictable?

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

samoht wrote: Tue 20 Aug 2024 2:05pm What's more important, King kicking 60 goals a season, or our side kicking 100 more goals per season and being less predictable?
If you have a look at the Grand Finals and finals over the last ten years, as you say it’s the combination of forwards doing the job, and not just a star tall Full Forward

Last year Bobby Hill won the Norm Smith. He kicked 4 goals I think. Dustin Martin, Christian Petracca, Bailey Fritsch and others have been the highest goals scorers. They’re not tall Full Forwards are they?

I think Jack Riewoldt kicked 5 one year for Richmond in a GF and of course going back to the Hawthorn 3-peat, Lance Franklin kicked 4 or 5 in 2013 if I recall correctly.

For some Saints supporters they think you need a superstar Full Forward to win you games of footy.

That’s the reason Max King was recruited and that’s their fantasy. I hope he can live up to his potential, but I reckon I’ve seen enough of him to say I don’t think he will.

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

I don’t see him as a defender. I just don’t see it.

Play him higher up the ground. Even on a wing.

It wouldn’t kill him to take an occasional centre bounce.

The new challenge would be good for his psyche.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
Scollop
Saintsational Legend

SaintPav wrote: Tue 20 Aug 2024 2:49pm I don’t see him as a defender. I just don’t see it.

Does he still live at home with his mum and dad?

You’d think on the money he’s getting he would have bought his own place, but does he still go to mum’s for dinner 3 nights a week and take his washing to her?

CURLY might know. Hey CURL’s, do private school boys cook their own dinner and wash their own undies?

CURLY
Saintsational Legend

Scollop wrote: Tue 20 Aug 2024 3:02pm
SaintPav wrote: Tue 20 Aug 2024 2:49pm I don’t see him as a defender. I just don’t see it.

Does he still live at home with his mum and dad?

You’d think on the money he’s getting he would have bought his own place, but does he still go to mum’s for dinner 3 nights a week and take his washing to her?

CURLY might know. Hey CURL’s, do private school boys cook their own dinner and wash their own undies?
Most probably not.

NO IFS OR BUTS HARVS IS KING OF THE AFL