Zebras vs Cats

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

meher baba
Saintsational Legend

Zebras vs Cats

It looks as if Richmond is going to beat Carlton so, even if Sandy win today, they probably won't be playing finals.

However, we're going ok so far against a better team. Apart from the usual problem of not taking our chances inside our forward 50.

Garcia is playing brilliantly. Bonner is terrible. Hayes is looking like he would be such a handy player, if only he can stay uninjured for a prolonged period.

"It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into."
- Jonathan Swift
meher baba
Saintsational Legend

Re: Zebras vs Cats

Is anybody else watching? It's a good game.

"It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into."
- Jonathan Swift
shrodes
SS Life Member

I just turned on, Garcia is such a gun. Hope he gets a start next week.

Bonner's field kicking even on what should be simple spot up hits to team mates are very ordinary

StPeter
Club Player

Scores level at half time. Garcia looking so good.

I wonder if he will be rested before the match finishes as he played for more than a quarter yesterday.

meher baba
Saintsational Legend

For a brief moment, Carlton was ahead of Richmond, but the Tigers got their act together and look like running out winners.

So no finals for Sandy yet again, even though we've now gotten into the lead against the Cats.

- Jonathan Swift
TheGreatZacsby
Club Player

Geelong starting to get on top of us. I want the Moose to get a call up so he needs to lift. Bonner is a dud.

Killa
Club Player

From watching a very, very poor performance on TV, I would suggest that the players to be de-listed were on show in this game starting with Hall, Allison, Hayes, Bonner, Campbell, Cordy and Paton

None of these players impacted today.

Granted no players were impressive, showing AFL skills at VFL level, but the likes of Shoenmaker, Hastie, Garcia (perhaps excuses coming off last night), Keeler and McLennan have youth on their side to support flashes only.

And we will need Ruck support for Marshall which may save Heath unless we recruit to cover.

To this group, which lead the de-listed Listing, there is Ross and, subject to fitness, Crouch.

The likes of Membrey and Jones are about continuing their AFL careers based on their performances over recent weeks.

Our List top-up players such as Dow and Stocker have probably done enough to survive.

SteeleSaints
Club Player

The Sandringham/St Kilda alignment is a continued failed exercise. In the entire time of the alignment they have made the finals once, and both clubs are at fault. The St Kilda list remains a disaster when we have players getting 400-500k per year to play VFL when they are actually no better and sometimes worse than the individuals playing in the VFL stand alone clubs. Our list management has been shocking for years and the VFL results really highlight that.

Other alignment clubs like Box Hill seem to be able to attract and develop decent state league players but Sandringham mirror St kilda there list is disgraceful. Ive said it before but the Sandringham supp players are the worst in the competition. Even when Hawthorn were really poor Box Hill still managed to have sucessful periods.

B.M
Saintsational Legend

We use Sandy purely for development- it is a StKilda run team.
Senior Coach
Bachelor is a paid employee of StK
Assistant coaches
Hayes is a paid employee of StK
Damien Carroll employee of StK

Game plan identical to StK (albeit not as slick due to skill level and experience)

Sandy live and die by StK availability - No Crouch, King, Windhager, Collard, Ross, Henry, Phillipou, Van Es
Is hard to replace

Seaton, Hipwell, Watson, Hall Kahan, Blamires and Lowe are not too bad

Sandy are a middling team as I said used by us for development

meher baba
Saintsational Legend

I reckon Batchelor and the team at Sandy have done a pretty good job on behalf of SKFC this season.

in one season Garcia has developed from a fairly low draft pick to being clearly too good for VFL.

Philllipou, Byrnes, Sharman and Membrey were dropped to the VFL to work on their games and have returned to the AFL in great form.

Zak Jones regained full fitness and his best form while playing at Sandy.

Hayes is being brought back slowly and effectively.

McLennan and Schoenmaker did enough at VFL level to be considered worthy of being called up to the seniors.

Keeler, Heath, O'Connell and Hastie are continuing to develop. Even Allison has shown a bit more in recent weeks.

The biggest disappointment has been Collard, but maybe he'll do better next year.

I've enjoyed watching the Zebs play this year far more than recent seasons. I'm sad that they missed out on the finals: they were probably good enough, but lost a few close games that they should have won. A bit like our AFL team.

- Jonathan Swift
B.M
Saintsational Legend

They pretty much mirrored the AFL team

The 50m penalty by Collard and goal after the siren by Box Hill

Cost them finals.

samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

meher baba wrote: Sun 18 Aug 2024 8:59pm I reckon Batchelor and the team at Sandy have done a pretty good job on behalf of SKFC this season.

in one season Garcia has developed from a fairly low draft pick to being clearly too good for VFL.

Philllipou, Byrnes, Sharman and Membrey were dropped to the VFL to work on their games and have returned to the AFL in great form.

McLennan and Schoenmaker did enough at VFL level to be considered worthy of being called up to the seniors.

Keeler, Heath, O'Connell and Hastie are continuing to develop. Even Allison has shown a bit more in recent weeks.

The biggest disappointment has been Collard, but maybe he'll do better next year.

I've enjoyed watching the Zebs play this year far more than recent seasons. I'm sad that they missed out on the finals: they were probably good enough, but lost a few close games that they should have won. A bit like our AFL team.
Do you think we'll keep hayes on this list (I hope so!)?

Your friendly neighbourhood samurai.
skeptic
Saintsational Legend

samuraisaint wrote: Sun 18 Aug 2024 10:02pm
meher baba wrote: Sun 18 Aug 2024 8:59pm I reckon Batchelor and the team at Sandy have done a pretty good job on behalf of SKFC this season.

I can’t see why not…

Ross and possibly Membrey pushed out
Allison goes
Campbell might go
Webster could retire
Paton, Bonner, Horton, Van E’s all in the gun
Battle loss to FA

Depending on what we bring in, there’s space for Hayes for another year I think

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

It would be dumb to not offer Membrey a contract and at the same time, to want to keep Jack Hayes

One bloke is durable and has performed ok in his role, and the other bloke can’t get on the park
Last edited by Scollop on Sun 18 Aug 2024 11:44pm, edited 1 time in total.

Moods
Saintsational Legend

skeptic wrote: Sun 18 Aug 2024 10:59pm

I can’t see why not…

Allison goes
Campbell might go
Webster could retire
Battle loss to FA

I’ll be spewing if they delist Members. He’s been a lot better these last 7 weeks and I thought he was our best forward last night. He’s back to jumping aggressively at the ball and his kicking is back. One more year ( at least) please

silverhalo
Club Player

Moods wrote: Sun 18 Aug 2024 11:44pm
skeptic wrote: Sun 18 Aug 2024 10:59pm

I can’t see why not…

Allison goes
Campbell might go
Webster could retire
Battle loss to FA

I’ll be spewing if they delist Members. He’s been a lot better these last 7 weeks and I thought he was our best forward last night. He’s back to jumping aggressively at the ball and his kicking is back. One more year ( at least) please

Agreed

samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

We have to keep Membrey. He is in our best 22.
We should keep Hayes if we can afford it. He is important for depth.

SinCitySainter
Club Player

samuraisaint wrote: Mon 19 Aug 2024 3:45pm We have to keep Membrey. He is in our best 22.
We should keep Hayes if we can afford it. He is important for depth.
We definitely need to keep Membrey, his performances have shown that he is undoubtedly in our best side and is a difficult match up.
Hayes is whole different issue he is not important for depth as you suggest as he cannot stay on the field.
He has been at the club for 3 years for 8 games and is now 28 years old.
Of those 8 games he starred in one was reasonable in another and the others basically invisible.
If I was one of the decision makers at the club I would be certainly saying time's up on poor old Jack.
His body is just not made for AFL football he is not the first nor the last where that's happened.

spert
Saintsational Legend

I don't think Membrey and King work well together in the forward half, but Tim is looking good in recent weeks, and we're kicking good scores.

samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

Tim Membrey takes care of business! He has the runs on the board and his marks and passes on saturday night were a think of majesty!

B.M
Saintsational Legend

Forward lines work well when they get good clean supply.

mr six o'clock
Saintsational Legend

Good comments on this thread .

What I'd like to know is ...
I saw that the VFL finals had begun so I looked up the final standings .
Only 18 games 🤔
How can you have a league with 21 teams but only 18 games . So then I looked at who we didn't play.
5 teams ......😵‍💫 ... So we played 3 teams twice ...... WTF.....
How does this happen?

In red white and black from 73