Battle

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

B.M
Saintsational Legend

Re: Battle

I wouldn’t be disappointed if he did re-sign but

For pick 6

Yep, I’d take it

He’s not Glen Jakovich

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Draft is still a lottery and drafted player will take 5 years to develop.

There is no guarantee that we will get pick 6 either.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Reckon he’s gone.

Hopefully we get pick 6.

No guarantees.

ace
Saintsational Legend

I saw him interviewed after the game.
He was talking in the first person plural about the club future.
You don't talk like that unless your preferred option is to continue to play at St Kilda.

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.

If you are not engaging AI actively and aggressively, you are doing it wrong.
You are not going to lose your job to AI.
You are going lose your job to somebody who uses AI.
Your company is not going to go out of business because of AI.
Your company is going to go out of business because another company used AI.
- Jensen Huang, CEO of NVIDIA
B.M
Saintsational Legend

He would’ve signed by now

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

ace wrote: Sat 17 Aug 2024 11:57pm I saw him interviewed after the game.
You don't talk like that unless your preferred option is to continue to play at St Kilda.
Are you a certified body language expert?

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

SaintPav wrote: Sun 18 Aug 2024 12:18am
Are you a certified body language expert?
I’ve read up on this stuff quite extensively

About the most that can really be said for analysing body language is that people tend to give off a lot of signs of being uncomfortable.
So for various sections of the body… arms, legs, face, tires etc… you tend to look for what they call pacifying behaviours e.g. rub tension spots, lean away or put barriers between danger/source of discomfort etc

The problem is that outside of identifying traits that might indicate a lack of complete honesty… there’s nothing to distinguish or hint at what the lies actually are. All of that stuff is moderately useful at best.

Not really making a point… just thought that was interesting

Moods
Saintsational Legend

SaintPav wrote: Sat 17 Aug 2024 11:53pm Reckon he’s gone.

Hopefully we get pick 6.

No guarantees.
I reckon he’ll stay. If he goes he’s a great actor. Appears very happy

Templar
Club Player

You’d reckon if transfer papers were on his manager’s desk he would have declined that post game interview.

Not "Simon Templar". He was here first. Please change my username to Bumstead and if possible make me one of those very large sandwiches, thanks!
St Dave
Club Player

If your preferred option is to continue at St Kilda you sign the contract that St Kilda have offered.

Most of us would love him to stay but his whole football life has been talking about the saints as his club, and currently the club still sign his paychecks. It isn't some sign of acting talent to answer soft post match interview questions as if you still play for the club.

Rubyjo
Club Player

Why does he keep getting interviewed post game ?

SinCitySainter
Club Player

I hope the club aren't putting him in front of the media as it really is not a strength of his. He responded with the standard cliches interspersed with yeah, ummm, ahhh absolutely and then failed to even get close to responding to the question being asked. Some players are far better facing the media than others and unfortunately this is not one of Josh's strengths.

Moods
Saintsational Legend

St Dave wrote: Sun 18 Aug 2024 11:00am
If your preferred option is to continue at St Kilda you sign the contract that St Kilda have offered.

Most of us would love him to stay but his whole football life has been talking about the saints as his club, and currently the club still sign his paychecks. It isn't some sign of acting talent to answer soft post match interview questions as if you still play for the club.
I didn’t even see the post game interview as I was at the game and left straight after. He has mentioned several times how he loves playing with Cal and Dougal. Just have a feeling he’ll stay. This is his big contract for his career. Kerry Packer used to say, take what’s on the table, don’t be greedy.’
In other words (and we don’t have a choice) we know what Josh gives us, let’s take him and forget about draft picks. We know what he gives us.

St Dave
Club Player

Moods wrote: Sun 18 Aug 2024 12:17pm
St Dave wrote: Sun 18 Aug 2024 11:00am

I didn’t even see the post game interview as I was at the game and left straight after. He has mentioned several times how he loves playing with Cal and Dougal. Just have a feeling he’ll stay. This is his big contract for his career. Kerry Packer used to say, take what’s on the table, don’t be greedy.’
In other words (and we don’t have a choice) we know what Josh gives us, let’s take him and forget about draft picks. We know what he gives us.
I would love if he re-signed, but actions speak louder than words so I would trust his actions rather than pretty generic platitudes about his team mates (would you expect him to say in public that he hated it even if he did?). The hawks are offering more and unless we match I expect he goes.

If the club making a mistake by not matching? Maybe, but I think they expect that pick 6/7 and Arie/Gus/Hammer stepping up next year will be better for the club in the long run

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Why are people assuming that compensation for Batlle will be the next pick after our first pick? Nothing has been confirmed.

meher baba
Saintsational Legend

SaintPav wrote: Sun 18 Aug 2024 1:39pm Why are people assuming that compensation for Batlle will be the next pick after our first pick? Nothing has been confirmed.
I'm more interested in why anyone would asssume that, whatever pick we get for him, the player we pick up would be better than Battle?

The guy's been in career-best form in recent weeks, which would surely justify increasing our offer by a few $$$.

"It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into."
- Jonathan Swift
St Dave
Club Player

meher baba wrote: Sun 18 Aug 2024 1:52pm
SaintPav wrote: Sun 18 Aug 2024 1:39pm Why are people assuming that compensation for Batlle will be the next pick after our first pick? Nothing has been confirmed.
I'm more interested in why anyone would asssume that, whatever pick we get for him, the player we pick up would be better than Battle?

The guy's been in career-best form in recent weeks, which would surely justify increasing our offer by a few $$$.
I can't speak for everyone, but I expect it should be after first pick compo because it is reported that the hawks are offering 900-950k per season average, and last year the roos got first McKay compo after their first for a reported 800-850k per season average. Obviously there are changes to the calculation and you can never be truly sure but that's what I would hope.

I would think the club knows that a gun mid is a more critical need than our 2nd/3rd best defender so they want more shots at the gun mid dartboard. If they expect our young defenders will fill the Battle hole, it is worth getting young mids in because none are guarantees.

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

meher baba wrote: Sun 18 Aug 2024 1:52pm

It’s a tricky balancing act or be sure. What I read is that this draft is strongly rated and there are some big midfield prospects.
Obviously it’s a risk and I generally tend to agree with the whole, a bird in the hand is worth two… but the club pbly feels that they could cover Battle more easily with Arie coming on and Cordy as a stop gap + that he may not be so good as to be worth what he’s likely to get.

Absolute easiest way to bugger up a list IMO is to overrate and overpay the wrong talent

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

I hope Josh stays. Hawthorn might be offering more, but money isn’t everything. I assume he’s pretty well paid where he is and ought to be pretty content with where the club is heading.

I think he’s a really good, solid, tough defender, but I baulk at the reported sum Hawthorn is offering. It’s almost what you’d pay a marquee player. He’s very good, but he’s not quite that

The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

If he goes for anything other than a compo pick after our first, we’re losing out big. Would be better off paying him.

All posters are equal, but some posters are more equal than others.
MC Gusto
Saintsational Legend

SinCitySainter wrote: Sun 18 Aug 2024 12:12pm I hope the club aren't putting him in front of the media as it really is not a strength of his. He responded with the standard cliches interspersed with yeah, ummm, ahhh absolutely and then failed to even get close to responding to the question being asked. Some players are far better facing the media than others and unfortunately this is not one of Josh's strengths.
This is an odd post

There were no questions on ‘trade or stay’ rhetoric so I’m not sure what you’re suggesting? He answered the questions asked well enough I thought - no real difference to any other player

#1 Ryder fan
SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Until he signs or makes a request to move clubs, everything is just noise.

Comparisons between contracts can be difficult because of incommensurate features and benefits and how contracts are structured differently eg factors like base salary, performance bonuses, contract length, guaranteed money, perks and various clauses etc.

Yorkeys
Saintsational Legend

What premium is necessary to have to play with Ginnivan? And team mates with rat tails?

ace
Saintsational Legend

SaintPav wrote: Sun 18 Aug 2024 9:14pm Until he signs or makes a request to move clubs, everything is just noise.

Comparisons between contracts can be difficult because of incommensurate features and benefits and how contracts are structured differently eg factors like base salary, performance bonuses, contract length, guaranteed money, perks and various clauses etc.
Taylor Swift has made a bit if money (over US$1 billion) out of noise.

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.

If you are not engaging AI actively and aggressively, you are doing it wrong.
You are not going to lose your job to AI.
You are going lose your job to somebody who uses AI.
Your company is not going to go out of business because of AI.
Your company is going to go out of business because another company used AI.
- Jensen Huang, CEO of NVIDIA
SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Yorkeys wrote: Sun 18 Aug 2024 9:35pm What premium is necessary to have to play with Ginnivan? And team mates with rat tails?
≥ 40%