Team v Cats In Garcia, out McLennan

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

meher baba
Saintsational Legend

Re: Team v Cats In Garcia, out McLennan

WellardSaint wrote: Sat 17 Aug 2024 2:28am
I would keep Sharman, but wouldn't miss Byrnes or Jones.
Too little, too late for them. If they were serious, they would've pulled their fingers out earlier.

It reminds me of my current workplace- there's 4 or 5 people who usually ring up sick on days that are forecast to be our busiest.
You aren't a bloody team player if you pick and choose when you'll do the heavy lifting, because you'd rather others do all the damn work.

Makes me really angry
That's far too harsh IMO. Byrnes is still a developing player, and he's come on leaps and bounds this season. As for Jones, I don't think we've seen him play with full fitness for several seasons. He now seems to be fully-fit once more and he is reminding us of how good he can be. If I were in charge of the club I'd keep them both, and Membrey, and I'd be moving heaven and earth to hold on to Battle.

The only long-serving players I'd be reasonably happy to see go are Ross and Crouch (although doesn't Crouch get another year regardless?) And perhaps Bonner. I'd hang on to Webster if he wants to go around again. I'd even be happy to keep Campbell if he's up for another season: he's the best backup ruckman in the league.

There are enough so-so players running around at Sandringham to give us all the vacant spots on our list that we could possibly need. In the absence of any free agents, and with few players who we would be able to trade for anyone significantly better, how many vacant spots do we truly need? Not a bucketload.

I realise I am swimming against the tide here, as most posters on this forum seem to see getting rid of lots of ok players from our list is the key to success. I'd be with them if I were confident that, if we got rid of a dozen, we could find another dozen who were far better. But it seems to me that, below a certain level in the draft (say pick 30 most years), you are likely to end up replacing the ok players you have let go not with stars, but with more ok players. your Angus Hasties, Ollie Hottons, Angus McLennans and Ben Patons. Skilled players who are quite possibly of AFL standard, but lack the size, speed, strength and bag of tricks ever to develop into A-graders.

"It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into."
- Jonathan Swift
SaintWiki
Club Player

Happy with 'Ins' - I really want to see the Pussies scalp on our mantelpiece, as supporters we have taken a battering this year and I want some icing on the cake!
meher baba wrote: Sat 17 Aug 2024 9:35am
Vortex wrote: Fri 16 Aug 2024 8:41am Clarkson stuffed up big time last year losing Harley Ried.
I'm not certain about that. He's a supremely-talented young player, but Reid plays the game with far too much ingrained aggression for senior football in the current era, where there are four umpires and cameras record a player's every move. Quite a bit of work will be required to coach this out of him, and it might not be entirely possible. Look at all of the problems Ben Long has had in his career, and he didn't come into the AFL looking half as aggro as Reid has this season.
You're probably on the money about Reid's aggression causing headache's but his confidence, size, skills and arrogance have already proven to be matchwinning.

B.M
Saintsational Legend

I think North would be pretty happy with McKercher and Duursma

To go with Wardlaw and Sheezel and Larkey

WellardSaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Perth- the best weather in Oz, but the worst rednecks.

AFL site says each club must draft at least 3 players.
So we need to delist 3 or more.

Jones, Crouch, Ross, and offer Byrnes to Suns or someone who'll take him

A real Sainter will pledge allegiance to the ❤🤍🖤 and despise the Pies, the Blues, and the Injectors.
Remember one of the 10 Commandments : Thou shalt have no other team before thee
Banger9798
SS Life Member

WellardSaint wrote: Sat 17 Aug 2024 1:03pm AFL site says each club must draft at least 3 players.
So we need to delist 3 or more.

Jones, Crouch, Ross, and offer Byrnes to Suns or someone who'll take him
Byrnes playing well, prefer to retain him.
Hayes might be finished due to injury

The Artist formerly known as Fugazi
StPeter
Club Player

I think Lyon is a fan of Byrnes, more than many on this forum.
He was promoted again on below-average form with Sandy but he has proved that he has something to offer at AFL level.
I think he is definitely worth keeping.