Battle

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

B.M
Saintsational Legend

Re: Battle

Wouldn’t have had Nick Dal Santo for starters

B.M
Saintsational Legend

Or the Salary Cap room to retain about 4 others

The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

Hawthorn looking like a juicy destination suddenly.

We should try drive up his price to guarantee top 10 compo, anything less than that and we’ve lost out big time.

All posters are equal, but some posters are more equal than others.
samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

After today, he is worth every penny of it.

Your friendly neighbourhood samurai.
samoht
Saintsational Legend
Location: https://www.amazon.com.au/Fugitive-Sold ... B00EO1GCNK

Battle had 28 disposals ... that's midfield numbers.

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Is he going to sign?

What’s the latest rumour?

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

Given what Hawthorn wants to pay, he probably leaves. Irrespective of what people say, the money is probably the overriding factor.

Posting 20 years of holey crap!
Vortex
Saintsational Legend

magnifisaint wrote: Mon 12 Aug 2024 3:08pm Given what Hawthorn wants to pay, he probably leaves. Irrespective of what people say, the money is probably the overriding factor.
When you get asked in a post match interview about your pending contract decision and your response is something along the line of:

At the moment my main focus is my wife and 2 young children so I'll just let my manager take care of that.

That pretty much is saying it's all about the money and its a win-win for me either way but right at the moment St Kilda are a little short on their offer.

mr six o'clock
Saintsational Legend

Vortex wrote: Mon 12 Aug 2024 3:20pm
magnifisaint wrote: Mon 12 Aug 2024 3:08pm Given what Hawthorn wants to pay, he probably leaves. Irrespective of what people say, the money is probably the overriding factor.
When you get asked in a post match interview about your pending contract decision and your response is something along the line of:

At the moment my main focus is my wife and 2 young children so I'll just let my manager take care of that.

That pretty much is saying it's all about the money and its a win-win for me either way but right at the moment St Kilda are a little short on their offer.
I've thought for a while he's probably likely to go , however I noticed watching the replay that after the game ,singing the song he was holding one of his kids . Not the actions of someone who is at odds with the club . Maybe he's more keen on staying than going.

In red white and black from 73
Nick DalSanto Claus
Club Player

A little over a month ago I was resigned to the fact that he was leaving. Now I'm not so sure.

The way both he and the team have played in the last 6 weeks (brions aside), has changed the whole dynamic.

Both he and the whole team have played with real purpose and renewed vigour. He isn't playing like someone who's just going through the motions until the season ends.

Sure the hawks have the dollars and look like an exciting prospect, but I think we're starting to form into RTB's vision for the future.

I believe the hawks are experiencing a bit of a sugar hit. They've won a few close ones. If we'd done better in our close ones, we'd be where they are right now.

Battle has become an onfield leader in a group in desperate for more of his type. If we have to bump up the offer, I say do it.

We've lost too many players in the past, who've gone on and tasted the ultimate glory elsewhere. Make sure that if he becomes a premiership player, it's with us.

"There is only one thing in the world worse than being talked about, and that is not being talked about."
repta
Club Player

Saints need to work out where they are.

If they are contending - Battle is a required player.
Can't swap him for a pick (say pick 6-10) and expect the saints to be better next year (or within 2 years).

If they are rebuilding - swap him for improvement in 3+ years.

Battles loss will make Saints a weaker team.
Therefore are they rebuilding or contending?

What happened to to famed War Chest?

SaintWiki
Club Player

Hope the club can meet his needs and keep him, but if the rumour that was around a month or two back that his mate plays for Hawthorn and he supported them as a kid are true etc and he really wants to go, then I wish him well. But I may lose a few hours sleep over it.

St Dave
Club Player

repta wrote: Tue 13 Aug 2024 8:39am Saints need to work out where they are.

If they are contending - Battle is a required player.
Can't swap him for a pick (say pick 6-10) and expect the saints to be better next year (or within 2 years).

If they are rebuilding - swap him for improvement in 3+ years.

Battles loss will make Saints a weaker team.
Therefore are they rebuilding or contending?

What happened to to famed War Chest?
I think we know where we are. We aren't going from 14th to really challenging (clear top 4) next year, so our timeline is challenging in 2 years at the earliest.

And if you think maybe Battles replacement is already on the list (Hammer, Arie, Gus or another kid) then you have time to develop them to fill that hole.

It also helps in this regard that Ross is a defensive coach. His team defence system will go a long way cover the loss of an individual player.

Saints are in a win win position. Either keep him without paying overs or get first round compo in a pretty good/even draft (apparently).
Last edited by St Dave on Tue 13 Aug 2024 10:40am, edited 2 times in total.

Yorkeys
Saintsational Legend

If hoping helps surely we will keep Josh. Hawthorn supporters can't possibly love or appreciate him as much as us.
However money talks.
We can provide comparable money and a lot of his hierarchical human needs but who knows what Josh values at the moment.
Hawthorn's bubble will burst and they are double dating with Barass.
Anyway we will know in a couple of weeks. I'll just keep hoping in case it helps.

B.M
Saintsational Legend

Josh is probably our 6th or 7th best player

And this is where he’ll finish in the B&F

And that’s how I’d consider his contract

I don’t think we should overpay to keep someone - if he wants to leave - then we move on

WellardSaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Perth- the best weather in Oz, but the worst rednecks.

I've learned not to expect much with the club.
Their flag apirations are like nuclear fusion- only a few years away, we're working towards it.

Let Battle go.
We won't be top 4 in the next 3 years anyway.

Look at our big holes in the midfield.

A real Sainter will pledge allegiance to the ❤🤍🖤 and despise the Pies, the Blues, and the Injectors.
Remember one of the 10 Commandments : Thou shalt have no other team before thee
D.B.Cooper
SS Hall of Fame

mr six o'clock wrote: Mon 12 Aug 2024 10:08pm
Vortex wrote: Mon 12 Aug 2024 3:20pm

I've thought for a while he's probably likely to go , however I noticed watching the replay that after the game ,singing the song he was holding one of his kids . Not the actions of someone who is at odds with the club . Maybe he's more keen on staying than going.
Good post, the only point I think you miss is the comment around being at odds with the club.

You can love the club, the players and the supporter base and still move on.

If he is being offered more money and believes the new club has a better chance of success you may leave.

This is Josh’s job, how he supports his young family and builds for his future, as he is unlikely to earn this amount per annum post football, therefore if he has the chance of significant pay increase, I say go for it young man.

If he does and we get a pick in the top 10 it’s win/win.

There's only one rule in the jungle! When the LYON's hungry, he eats!
Sanctorum
Club Player

Josh Battle is having a realy good season, he had a blinder against Richmond on Sunday and based on that form I really hope he signs a new contract.

It's been reported that Hawthorn are into the Eagles' Tom Barrasss, also a key defender, which means they are unlikely to want both him as well as Battle as both will be on big coin.

"Where there is no hope, it is incumbent on us to invent it.."

Albert Camus (1913-1960) French philospher
magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

Sanctorum wrote: Tue 13 Aug 2024 1:17pm Josh Battle is having a realy good season, he had a blinder against Richmond on Sunday and based on that form I really hope he signs a new contract.

It's been reported that Hawthorn are into the Eagles' Tom Barrasss, also a key defender, which means they are unlikely to want both him as well as Battle as both will be on big coin.
Not sure about that. Somehow they can fit both into the salary crap.

Posting 20 years of holey crap!
St Dave
Club Player

magnifisaint wrote: Tue 13 Aug 2024 3:17pm
Sanctorum wrote: Tue 13 Aug 2024 1:17pm Josh Battle is having a realy good season, he had a blinder against Richmond on Sunday and based on that form I really hope he signs a new contract.

Yeah, they don't have many real A graders on their list currently, mostly value recruiting (eg Amon and Ginni) and young recruits playing out of their skins. So they front load the Battle/Barrass contacts while they have the cash now, say 1.2-1.5m ish per year over the first few years and reduce it way down in the last few years when their kids are up for new deals. Overall it averages about 900k-1m per year but the club gets the flexibility to manage all their players over time.

The same will happen when King or Pou gets their new monster deal in a few years.

silverhalo
Club Player

Love Josh Battle and would prefer him to stay but if we did lose him, are we a chance to land that pick 5 or 6 in the draft - I read recently that the AFL has changed the rules around it (probably to counter St.Kilda's chance of getting it!) - the criteria is a lot stricter. Does anyone have a handle on this? Cheers..

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

This is my fear as well.

If a 6 year contract at ~$900K doesn’t get us a first rounder it will be a travesty.

I don’t think matching the offer even comes into it but we should if the the club doesn’t get what it’s seeking.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
Brunswicksainter
Club Player

magnifisaint wrote: Tue 13 Aug 2024 3:17pm

What makes you think they wouldn’t be able to fit those two in their salary caps? Should have more than enough space. Remember the cap is 15.8 million annually, looking at their list and age demographic only Sicily would be on big coin. Feasible they could fit in 3 or 4 +$800k players this off season.

B.M
Saintsational Legend

Will Day is an elite mid

samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

JB will be one very hard to replace player. For mine he is now as important to us as Shaun Dempster was in 2008-11.

If he has to go, drive his price up because we are going to need very expensive compensation to cover that loss - along with the work the club has put into him since his first game in 2017.

Has to be a round 1 pick for mine - and even then, I don't want to lose him.

Your friendly neighbourhood samurai.