2025 st Kilda

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

MC Gusto
Saintsational Legend

2025 st Kilda

We’ve had a good month of form. Sure Brisbane put us to the sword but they are top 2 of the league easily.
Hoping we get a real insight to 25 at Kilda today. Players have been connecting with the game plan and a few of the younger guys seem to have got through their 2nd year blues

What’ll we show??

#1 Ryder fan
meher baba
Saintsational Legend

Re: 2025 st Kilda

I'm hoping we'll play like we did against the Bombers. That'll do me.

"It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into."
- Jonathan Swift
The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

We are a good side ,just the slightest improvement will see us beating most sides

I want to see very few turnovers this game and a big margin win
A bag of goals from my man coops and Rowan’ s big smile
A loss is unthinkable. I couldn’t stand vortex telling us we need more talent and money again.

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

MC Gusto wrote: Sun 11 Aug 2024 1:30pm We’ve had a good month of form. Sure Brisbane put us to the sword but they are top 2 of the league easily.
Hoping we get a real insight to 25 at Kilda today. Players have been connecting with the game plan and a few of the younger guys seem to have got through their 2nd year blues

What’ll we show??
I think we will be roughly around the same position on the ladder in 2025. The Brisbane belting perfectly highlights the talent gap between.a top 4 and and bottom 4 side when that top 4 side is in form.

Some will point to our win over Sydney and suggest we are close to being a top 4 side similar to how some supporters argued a close loss to Collingwood last year suggested we were. capable of a top 4 finish this year. Clearly rose coloured glasses are strapped on. If we were playing Sydney next week we would get belted.

It was clear we were boys against men in our final against GWS.

As I always highlight, your wins and losses in a H&A season are not the true measurement of your premiership winning credentials, those credentials are achieved in the final two weeks of September and also the final minutes in a GF.

You need a squad with a depth of talent that runs about 25 deep, (at least), and then that squad needs to be conditioned for the marathon.

We are at least 3 years from filling up on the required talent if we have similar success in recruiting as we've recently had, my guess is we are at least 8 talented players short and within that 8 we need to find at least 2 to 3 elite guns.

Simples huh!

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

See

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

We will also need more money

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

Thanks

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

We need more talent in the midfield and at clearances. I don’t see a Dal Santo, Montagna or BJ there, let alone a Hayes or a Harvey … not yet anyway.

The other thing we absolutely must do is move away from a King-focussed forward line. Not saying boot him out of the front half, but I don’t want to see long bombs to Max King as the sole route to goal ever again. If it means he’s played as a decoy at chf or even as second ruck, so be it.

All that said, we have some developing talent that looks like it’s going to be very good. Owens, Phiilpou, Windhager, Wilson, NWM of course, Sharman, Caminiti … they are all young. Plus some talented kids pressing claims. People are excited about Garcia and Arie in the twos and there are others as well.

If things go our way, we could emerge as a side as Hawthorn appears to be doing. I’d love to beat the plicks in the 2026 GF as payback for 1971.
Last edited by bigcarl on Tue 13 Aug 2024 12:58am, edited 1 time in total.

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

bigcarl wrote: Mon 12 Aug 2024 1:43pm

If things go our way, we could emerge as a side as Hawthorn appears to be doing. I’d love to beat the plicks in the 2026 GF as payback for 1971.
I'm interested to see how the Hawks will perform in a final if they make it.

Ironically in the context of the King discussion, I think their lack of tall forward options could expose them in a September campaign. I'd also like to see how they back up next year after the competition works out their signature, similarly like we were found out after the early stages of the Ross Lyon sugar hit. I think the Hawks are still a few players short of being a top 4 contender but conversely are they also proving you can win a flag without star tall forwards?

Looking forward to seeing how that migh play out in September....maybe Ross is watching thst space intently too.

Devilhead
Saintsational Legend

Not sure what happened with the Brions game but we played them earlier in the season and nearly snatched it late (in Brisbane) if it weren't for a dodgy 50m penalty which gave them breathing space.

I am more inclined to go off that performance than the one we saw 2 weeks back

We have lost 6 matches by less than 10pts in the middle of a terrible injury / suspension run ... win 3 of those and we probably play Finals

Reckon we are a hot chance to upset both Geelong & Carlton in these final 2 matches

Big pre-season coming for a few of our players

The Devil makes work for idle hands!!!
saynta
Saintsational Legend

bigcarl wrote: Mon 12 Aug 2024 1:43pm We need more talent in the midfield and at clearances. I don’t see a Dal Santo or Montagna there, let alone a Hayes or a Harvey … not yet anyway.

The other thing we absolutely do is move away from a King-focussed forward line. Not saying boot him out of the front half, but I don’t want to see long bombs to Max King as the role route to goal ever again. If it means he’s played as a decoy at chf or even as second ruck, so be it.

All that said, we have some developing talent that looks like it’s going to be very good. Owens, Phiilpou, Windhager, Wilson, NWM of course, Sharman, Caminiti … they are all young. Plus some talented kids pressing claims. People are excited about Garcia and Arie in the twos and there are others as well.

Yeah, I remember 1971. One of the worst days of my life, along with 1997.

Killa
Club Player

The one issue those who put that we require 3 years to be competitive overlook is the equation of those we will lose over that period versus who we Draft (noting that in the normal course you only have 1 first round selection in any year)

We have Hill over 30 years of age then some core players in their late 20’s

Compared to other sides we do not have a core of very experienced players

So we are reliant on Hill, Marshall, Sinclair, Wilkie as our experienced core assisted by Battle, Wood, Membrey and Howard

Past that we get to King,Clark, Owens, Phillipou, Henry, Windhager, Wanganeen-Milera, Wilson then to Caminiti, Sharman, Byrnes then to those developing their craft at Sandringham

Then the foot soldiers such as Stocker and Dow

The development of this List is not 3 years hence - it is right now

Allowing for some judicious recruiting adding first 18 players I am of the opinion we will be in the mix in 2025 (given some luck with injuries)

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

Killa wrote: Mon 12 Aug 2024 5:55pm The one issue those who put that we require 3 years to be competitive overlook is the equation of those we will lose over that period versus who we Draft (noting that in the normal course you only have 1 first round selection in any year)

We have Hill over 30 years of age then some core players in their late 20’s

Compared to other sides we do not have a core of very experienced players

So we are reliant on Hill, Marshall, Sinclair, Wilkie as our experienced core assisted by Battle, Wood, Membrey and Howard

Past that we get to King,Clark, Owens, Phillipou, Henry, Windhager, Wanganeen-Milera, Wilson then to Caminiti, Sharman, Byrnes then to those developing their craft at Sandringham

Then the foot soldiers such as Stocker and Dow

The development of this List is not 3 years hence - it is right now

Allowing for some judicious recruiting adding first 18 players I am of the opinion we will be in the mix in 2025 (given some luck with injuries)
You have clearly over dosed on Covid vaccine boosters.

Killa
Club Player

Yes, on the advice of my GP I and the rest of our family have had 6 doses of the ever emerging vaccine

I rely on professional advice from educated people in the medical field

Not the uneducated advice of a right wing nut job

One of the uplifting events of recent days is the response of the British public distancing themselves from the actions of right wing lunatics

And just a question

Have you ever been inoculated against the likes of polio and the remainder of causes which can be inoculated against?

The aim of Rotary International is to rid the population of the risk of polio and where their efforts have seen the results we see globally

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

Killa wrote: Mon 12 Aug 2024 8:13pm Yes, on the advice of my GP I and the rest of our family have had 6 doses of the ever emerging vaccine

One of the uplifting events of recent days is the response of the British public distancing themselves from the actions of right wing lunatics

And just a question

Have you ever been inoculated against the likes of polio and the remainder of causes which can be inoculated against?

The aim of Rotary International is to rid the population of the risk of polio and where their efforts have seen the results we see globally
What’s your GP’s opinion on Jack Steele?

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

Scollop wrote: Mon 12 Aug 2024 8:21pm
Killa wrote: Mon 12 Aug 2024 8:13pm Yes, on the advice of my GP I and the rest of our family have had 6 doses of the ever emerging vaccine

And just a question

I'm more interested in what Rotary International think about Josh Battle.

R. Harvey 3 votes!
Club Player

And just a question

Thanks for reminding me why I generally give this place wide berth now

When Harvey played his first game in 1988, I was a 12yo wearing short pants and struggling with my readin', writin' and 'rithmetic in grade eight. Now, I'm a father of three and a retired AFL player. And he's still going. Amazing! - Michael Voss
mr six o'clock
Saintsational Legend

Saw the topic
First thought was of that song by Zager and Evans.
In the year 2525
The Saints are still trying to win their 2nd premiership 😢

In red white and black from 73
Yorkeys
Saintsational Legend

Some teasers released: Jimmy sub, Bonner dropped, Keeler and Garcia staring in VFL. McLennan looks OK, Arie as a regular is inevitable, seems a couple of promising youngsters being prepared to take over from Higgins and Butler. Future looks bright.

B.M
Saintsational Legend

Go backwards to go forwards

Go to the draft again, get another top 10 pick through the door and another 2nd rounder

I would get as many games as possible into
Schoenmaker, Keeler, Garcia, Wilson, Phillipou (mid) Owens, Windhager, Henry, Caminiti
Keep developing Hastie in the VFL
Not sure about Hotton and Van Es

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

B.M wrote: Tue 13 Aug 2024 6:08pm Go backwards to go forwards

Go to the draft again, get another top 10 pick through the door and another 2nd rounder

I would get as many games as possible into
Schoenmaker, Keeler, Garcia, Wilson, Phillipou (mid) Owens, Windhager, Henry, Caminiti
Keep developing Hastie in the VFL
Not sure about Hotton and Van Es
Don’t rest Wilson ? Gee BM you can turn better than Fred Astaire.

cwrcyn
Saintsational Legend

We were the real deal in 2009. How many players do we have now who could match up to these 23 guys?

Riewoldt
Koschitzke (King)
Hayes
Goddard (Phillipou)
Dal Santo
Montagna (Hill)
Gardiner (Marshall)
Ball (Steele)
Gram (Wanganeen-Milera)
Dempster (Membrey)
Schneider (Butler)
Fisher (Wilkie)
Blake (Owens)
Milne (Higgins)
Ray (Wood)
Hudghton (Battle)
Gilbert (Sinclair)
Gwilt (Webster)
Baker (Ross)
Stanley
C.Jones (Clark)
Armitage (Windhager)
Steven (Henry)
Dawson (Howard)

Well....we can see the shortfall in talent, but it's not a total disaster. We have no Hayes, Milne, Dal Santo, Stanley or Riewoldt equivalent. That pretty much sums it up

Wilson Stocker and Sharman....where do they fit on that list?

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

cwrcyn wrote: Tue 13 Aug 2024 11:19pm
Well....we can see the shortfall in talent, but it's not a total disaster. We have no Hayes, Milne, Dal Santo, Stanley or Riewoldt equivalent. That pretty much sums it up
You definitely need to edit your post and get rid of any implication that Higgins = Milne

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

R. Harvey 3 votes! wrote: Mon 12 Aug 2024 9:26pm

And just a question

Thanks for reminding me why I generally give this place wide berth now
Yep, possibly the dumbest and most misinformed post I’ve ever read on here.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Vortex wrote: Mon 12 Aug 2024 9:19pm
Scollop wrote: Mon 12 Aug 2024 8:21pm

And just a question

I'm more interested in what Rotary International think about Josh Battle.
I'm interested in what Rotary International think about the prions…I mean Lions.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.