Statement re Thomas

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

older saint
SS Life Member

Statement re Thomas

i have just read the Statement the club released.

Having read it now a few times it is concerning to me that the club has openly admitted that they considered recruiting this person, in spite of what has happened and other clubs and the AFL cutting him lose.- yes not guilty in court yet doesn't mean did or hasn't happened - as last time the victim decided not to pursue things further.

I don't think it a stretch either to say that without the media getting word or the members and sponsors backlash it may have gone further.

Sadly I think this makes a real statement about the values and standards the club holds, and the mass contradiction - stand against women and violence earlier this season yet have the discussion anyway, knowing if they had recruited him we would have heard all this spin about second chances and his disadvantages in upbringing etc .

I have moved from angry yesterday to disappointed today.

Beno88
SS Hall of Fame

Re: Statement re Thomas

Bizarre take from a 27 second statement.

The club did their due diligence, as we trust they do with all available, talented players. Others would have done exactly the same.

He's not being recruited, nor was it anywhere near being considered. Move on.

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

Yes move on

Let's focus on some due diligence on Jonathan Patton and let's scour other clubs players who are over 30 like Dylan Shiel

Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

I hope our recruiting/list management people look at every available player before they make their final choices.
Some of the sanctimonious claptrap being spewed on here is mind blowing!

None of us were at any of the meetings our Club has had with prospective recruits.
None of us know the reason(s) why they are meeting with particular players.
None of us know what is being discussed.
None of us know anything about it, other than what we read in news reports being produced by journalists looking for stories that create clicks to derive revenue.

And yet we've got posters on here and BF threatening to tear up memberships etc over the mere appearance of our recruiting/list people doing their job.

Unbelievable.

SaintWiki
Club Player

older saint wrote: Fri 09 Aug 2024 4:21pm i have just read the Statement the club released.

Having read it now a few times it is concerning to me that the club has openly admitted that they considered recruiting this person, in spite of what has happened and other clubs and the AFL cutting him lose.- yes not guilty in court yet doesn't mean did or hasn't happened - as last time the victim decided not to pursue things further.

I don't think it a stretch either to say that without the media getting word or the members and sponsors backlash it may have gone further.

Sadly I think this makes a real statement about the values and standards the club holds, and the mass contradiction - stand against women and violence earlier this season yet have the discussion anyway, knowing if they had recruited him we would have heard all this spin about second chances and his disadvantages in upbringing etc .

I would be very dissapointed if the club didn't look at every available player no matter what their circumstances, but really pissed off if St Kilda signed up a player that doesn't meet the behavoural criteria of decency as well.

Although I haven't seen every story or rumour associated with this issue my only criticism is that St Kilda took too long make an official statement.

St Dave
Club Player

Mr Magic wrote: Fri 09 Aug 2024 4:52pm I hope our recruiting/list management people look at every available player before they make their final choices.

None of us were at any of the meetings our Club has had with prospective recruits.
None of us know anything about it, other than what we read in news reports being produced by journalists looking for stories that create clicks to derive revenue.

And yet we've got posters on here and BF threatening to tear up memberships etc over the mere appearance of our recruiting/list people doing their job.

Unbelievable.
If you think journos are making up stories about St Kilda just to drive clicks, I have some news about how large some other clubs fan bases are compared to ours.

Every club has the same plan to recruit to improve, but no other club is being reported as meeting with him. Tells you what the industry as a whole see as acceptable vs what our club sees as acceptable.

And they were stupid enough to do it in public. If any other club is interested you can guarantee they are talking privately so if the situation changes they can act, where as we are amateurish enough to get caught and take all the heat.

chook23
Saintsational Legend

Mr Magic wrote: Fri 09 Aug 2024 4:52pm I hope our recruiting/list management people look at every available player before they make their final choices.

Unbelievable.
Spot on

saint4life
chook23
Saintsational Legend

St Dave wrote: Fri 09 Aug 2024 5:16pm

Unbelievable.
If you think journos are making up stories about St Kilda just to drive clicks, I have some news about how large some other clubs fan bases are compared to ours.

Every club has the same plan to recruit to improve, but no other club is being reported as meeting with him. Tells you what the industry as a whole see as acceptable vs what our club sees as acceptable.

And they were stupid enough to do it in public. If any other club is interested you can guarantee they are talking privately so if the situation changes they can act, where as we are amateurish enough to get caught and take all the heat.

saint4life
SinCitySainter
Club Player

I actually think it was a good and concise response from the club.
The meeting was already public knowledge so they could not deny they had any interest.
So stating that after doing due diligence they will not be pursuing TT is the best way of handling it.

Sanctorum
Club Player

Proverbial storm in a teacup, this little charade was never going to amount to anything in the short term.

I've no doubt there will be many other clubs actively considering throwing Thomas a lifeline should his November court proceedings result in acquittal and corroboration that he has rehabilitated....Sam "The Vulture" Mitchell likely to lead the pack!

"Where there is no hope, it is incumbent on us to invent it.."

Albert Camus (1913-1960) French philospher
66Iwasthere
Club Player

Unbelievable.
Sanctimonious clap trap my bullocks.. TT and St Kilda, or any team for that matter, is so wrong.

CURLY
Saintsational Legend

Watch Collingwood recruit Thomas and the media will make him a hero and then the leaders in culture.

Of course clubs will speak to him it would be moronic not to have a conversation. Let’s be honest none of us know clubs do.

NO IFS OR BUTS HARVS IS KING OF THE AFL
Scollop
Saintsational Legend

This from St Dave was worth requoting

Last edited by Scollop on Fri 09 Aug 2024 8:03pm, edited 1 time in total.

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

I would have stuck my membership back together if we had signed him up

Yorkeys
Saintsational Legend

Scollop wrote: Fri 09 Aug 2024 8:02pm This from St Dave was worth requoting

Well nice dump on the Club you two.
Get a warm feeling in the nether regions from your obvious moral superiority.
Perchance it was just a check in to see if the guy had changed. Due diligence didn't show rehabilitation. End of interest.
Do you also condemn the Cafe for serving Thomas?
As another observed, Thomas' actions are reprehensible but boy the sanctimonious look how good I am responses by some to put the boot into the Club are nauseating. Esp when at the same time they are advocating clandestine tactics should have been used. Say what?

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

Yorkeys wrote: Fri 09 Aug 2024 8:25pm

Perchance it was just a check in to see if the guy had changed. Due diligence didn't show rehabilitation. End of interest.
As another observed, Thomas' actions are reprehensible but boy the sanctimonious look how good I am responses by some to put the boot into the Club are nauseating. Esp when at the same time they are advocating clandestine tactics should have been used. Say what?
Club culture has to count for something. It's called integrity. And yes...you have to respect your current staff and the senior players

St Kilda Football Club 'servants' and employees need to keep that in mind when trying to make selfish decisions to save their careers

St Dave
Club Player

Yorkeys wrote: Fri 09 Aug 2024 8:25pm

If you think calling out an obvious mistake is dumping on the club, I think that says more about your acceptance of stupidity/immortality than anything else. The whole league are laughing at us and you would rather us cheer and wave the flag? Personally I am tired of us being a mediocre club.

I don't think we should be chasing him at all, but I am also not naive enough to think that clubs out there aren't at least keeping their options open to him. The difference I was pointing out is that other clubs are probably doing it discreetly, because they won't want interest to become public knowledge until at least after his legal issues are sorted, or else they risk getting blasted in the media and putting supporters and players offside like we have seen over the last few days.

Otiman
Saintsational Legend

Thank you to all of those who reached out to the club, i've not seen anything drive this level of response since merger talks.

seano1
Club Player

Again how stupid we look …..and the response still stupid…….we did our DD ……if you did it you wouldn’t have met with him . As someone pointed out we are not privy to football dept meetings but surely a manager from the club should be there and give them their 2 cents worth? Shouldn’t he/she have said hang on what about what our sponsors think? What will be our female members/players/wives think ?
And wouldn’t it have been better to say ….yes we had a meeting with TT to see how’s he’s going and whether he would like to use the people we have in place at Danny Frawley Centre to help him out ?

Club Player

Without condoning Thomas, I wonder what the AFL would do with a player caught drink driving repeatedly, when you think of the potential comparative harm.

SydneySainter
SS Hall of Fame

older saint wrote: Fri 09 Aug 2024 4:21pm i have just read the Statement the club released.

I think what the club learnt from free agency was that wasn’t an open slather where money would just do the talking.

To improve our midfield, the club previously hedged all their bets on free agency and ultimately ended up with their tail in between their legs.

The Shiel play made us look silly. Went to the Bombers for almost half of what our cheque book could offer.

So with free agency continuing to be a busted approach, it shouldn’t surprise any of us that they’re looking to all options in a desperate bid to improve our list.

However, I thought the club would have finally learnt the hard way that having a zero-tolerance for bad behaviour and a player’s best endeavour to finally be a good football citizen is all well and good, but sometimes, if you’ve got sh*t for brains, then you’ve got sh*t for brains and nothing will change that.

Bad management is bad management
saynta
Saintsational Legend

Beno88 wrote: Fri 09 Aug 2024 4:30pm Bizarre take from a 27 second statement.

The club did their due diligence, as we trust they do with all available, talented players. Others would have done exactly the same.

He's not being recruited, nor was it anywhere near being considered. Move on.
Exactly

repta
Club Player

Due diligence... what a joke.
It hasn't even got to court yet. He hasn't done his suspension.

It wasn't a one off.
He has gone through the rehab. The counciling. The psychologists. The well-being. He rejected the lot
He didn't learn. North gave up.

Saints will be in perpetual under performance until they grow up.
There is reasons why Geelong and Sydney remain at the top. They are professionally managed. It starts with the 'no d!ckheads policy'
Team cohesion and a no excuse high work ethic mentality.

Current administration are complete mumpets.

They are like an 18 year old 18 deep in the red-light district.

Yorkeys
Saintsational Legend

repta wrote: Sat 10 Aug 2024 6:57pm Due diligence... what a joke.
It hasn't even got to court yet. He hasn't done his suspension.

It wasn't a one off.
He has gone through the rehab. The counciling. The psychologists. The well-being. He rejected the lot
He didn't learn. North gave up.

Saints will be in perpetual under performance until they grow up.
There is reasons why Geelong and Sydney remain at the top. They are professionally managed. It starts with the 'no d!ckheads policy'
Team cohesion and a no excuse high work ethic mentality.

Current administration are complete mumpets.

They are like an 18 year old 18 deep in the red-light district.
Geelong
Mathew Stokes
Garry Ablett Snr
Sydney
Elijah Taylor
Sam Wicks

Essendon drug saga
Carlton defrauding salary cap
WCE drugs Central
Footscray Bailey Smith
Melbourne Joel Smith, Oliver
Collingwood rat pack into bike gangs

Sure, all so professional, like those in the red light district.

If you think our Club can be compared with the seriously bad stuff that others are into you are naive.
Chat over coffee so bad. Really?
Check out the causes the club champions.
I cannot believe your reaction is rational. Woke gone bananas.

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

repta wrote: Sat 10 Aug 2024 6:57pm
It wasn't a one off.
He didn't learn.
North gave up.
It doesn’t really work like that.

You’re talking about attitudes/thought processes et. developed over a life time based on the experiences/influences he had over a lifetime.

No one goes through a couple of 90min sessions and a PowerPoint then wakes up with different coping/management attitudes.

It takes time and commitment and there can be mistakes along the way.

I’m not saying we should recruit him but it’s not right mark him as a permanently soiled human being