Tarryn Thomas

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Yorkeys
Saintsational Legend

Re: Tarryn Thomas

It could be a great story if it worked out. Good footy, good behaviour, sanctions proven proportionate.
Depends on the appetite for forgiveness/mercy?
Due diligence that's going on would be interesting to observe - very tricky.

St Dave
Club Player

TheGreatZacsby wrote: Thu 08 Aug 2024 2:22pm
skeptic wrote: Thu 08 Aug 2024 1:17pm
SteeleSaints wrote: Thu 08 Aug 2024 12:34pm Thomas is not another Dusty Martin and like anything there are pro's and con's. In this situation I think his off field baggage far out weighs his prospective onfield performances. It screams of desparation the supporters wanting to get him in, half of which probably haven't seen him play more than 1 game.
My personal view here…

I work at a court and see these types of scenarios pretty much everyday. Some people do as MSG suggests, Alfie further down the rabbit hole and come back and forth through the legal system. Others get the help that they need to turn stuff around and make changes.

Courts typically lean towards a rehabilitative approach to these types of matters in the early stages because the literature clearly demonstrates that getting people help especially early on is what most effectively serves the community.
And by that I mean, it results in less repeat offending which is the desired outcome opposed to things like fines, community service, imprisonment etc. The more, let’s call them punitive measures, tend not to act as deterrents and usually results in the same people having the same skills to deal with the same situations and sees further offending.

If TT is not in custody now, what that tells me is that in this instance, he’s not considered to be a high or unacceptable risk of further offending until his matter comes to court. It’s also fairly suggestive but not definitive that without further offending, he’s unlikely to get a custodial disposition for these charges.

So the first question I’m asking is do we actually have a strong sense of how he has been since he was charged/cut?
It’s an important question.
Is he pissing it up and still acting like a train wreck and hasn’t been pinged or is he actually actually making/has made positive change and is working on it.

If it’s the latter… then personally I’m more inclined to give him another chance whilst openly acknowledging that in quite ignorant of what he’s done (thanks WS for the post above).

Through fear of making this political I won’t get into things like goals/responses/societal views etc but I’ll just add that personally… I believe in opportunities, chances and second chances if people are doing the work to earn them.

What’s often the difference between a success story and failure is capitalising on momentum when you’re ready for it. People will call me a naive do gooder and I get that.
Skeptic I totally agree.

I work in the legal field as well. I’ve seen my fair share of FV situations.

There’s always two sides to every story. Not trying to victim blame but a lot of these female victims message the respondent and either go to their house or invite them over to work on the relationship.

That fact he got off light suggests the messaging wasn’t a severe as publicised. Yet again the magistrates these days are cooked with the whole youth crisis and the bail reform to indigenous Australians means they can commit major crime and just be released into the public like it’s another day in the office.

He comes to us on low money, he’s a top 5 draft pick and is a one touch player with pace and aerial skills. Good for one goal a game and 20 disposals that’s a Caminiti and a Brad Hill combined for stats reference.

We have got a great centre (DFC) for mental health and behavioural change, we have one of the best if not the best sporting indigenous culture in the country and I back the club to get him right.
Appreciate your legal perspective, but so far his stats aren't Hammer + Hill, that would be about 29 touches and a goal and a bit per game. A better comparison might be Mason Wood plus another goal every 3 games. I know who I would rather have impacting the clubs culture.

Rubyjo
Club Player

There is not one woman in Australia that would support this decision ...this is dangerous territory for the Saints to let this happen ..there will be an almighty uproar and flow on consequences .

D.B.Cooper
SS Hall of Fame

Scollop wrote: Wed 07 Aug 2024 10:25pm If Ross Lyon wants him, the playing group will need to suck it up and accept the decision. We all know that anyone else at the club who doesn't agree with Ross risks having to look for another job

What also really s***s me is that the club wastes time and resources on looking for ready made senior players instead of building the foundations for sustainable success at the club.

Stop trying to take short cuts to selfishly save face or save the careers of Ross Lyon or other employees

How about doing what you said you would. Remember the President's letter in April this year;
We were clear when we appointed Ross that we had a lot of work to do in terms of both our processes and our ability to seriously compete on-field, and our plans remain grounded in that reality. Put simply, we are trying to do this the right way, not the easy way.
2021 - NWM + Owens + Windhager (Kyle, Peris, Adams gone)
2022 - Phillipou + Hotton + Van Es + Keeler + McLennan + Caminitti
2023 - Wilson + Collard + Hastie + Garcia + Shoenmaker + O'Connell
2024 - Hall

I think Henry (22) + Bonner (27) + Dow (24) + Stocker (24) are the only mature aged recruits and we didn't give up much for each, particularly Henry given his upside.

Current admin in place has drafted 13 players (draft, rookie, mid season) since 2022 with 8 of these already debuted.
I think they are doing as they promised.

I doubt adding a 24 year old DFA is reversing their strategy.

A list building strategy is base draft, top up with FA or DFA that fill a void.

There's only one rule in the jungle! When the LYON's hungry, he eats!
older saint
SS Life Member

Could not believe this when I heard it( probably due to Morris being the reporter) but then confirmed.
Prompted me to do something never done in 40 + years of membership - contact the club to express my disapproval. I realize I am 1 of 59000 members so they don't really give a hoot about me or my opinion ,and it doesn't matter but if they recruit this oxygen thief 50 plus years of supporting this club will cease immediately.
I want to win a flag as much as the next person but if you don't stand for something you stand for nothing. We sacked Gram for this type stuff, move Steven on and lets not even talk about Lovett. The brand damage done by even having this conversation is significant with the public. Wonder what the sponsors think.

D.B.Cooper
SS Hall of Fame

In hindsight I'm a no, kicks it a little too well for our forward half.

There's only one rule in the jungle! When the LYON's hungry, he eats!
Sanctorum
Club Player

Gubby Allen having a discussion with Thomas over lunch is in itself not unreasonable for St Kilda's recruiting team, to assess if in fact Thomas is deserving of consideration to return to senior football once the legal process in November has concluded.

As far as I'm concerned I believe it is best to await that outcome before rushing to judgement one way or the other, as the facts of his offending and the things he has done in the meantime to remedy his abusive behaviour towards women will all come to light.

If it is demonstrated that Thomas does not face further sanctions and has provided clear evidence that he has rehabilitated, St Kilda's much lauded and strong off-field support network for First Nations players can be expected to guide the club one way or another on the wisdom of bringing Thomas on board.

"Where there is no hope, it is incumbent on us to invent it.."

Albert Camus (1913-1960) French philospher
Sainter_Dad
Saintsational Legend

seano1 wrote: Wed 07 Aug 2024 9:20pm My wife has said they can stick the membership where g allens sun doesn’t shine
And two fairly large contractors (by their own measurement) stated on SEN that they would close their accounts with RSEA if we pick up TT

“Youth ages, immaturity is outgrown, ignorance can be educated, and drunkenness sobered, but stupid lasts forever.”

― Aristophanes

If you have a Bee in your Bonnet - I can assist you with that - but it WILL involve some smacking upside the head!
WellardSaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Perth- the best weather in Oz, but the worst rednecks.

Sainter_Dad wrote: Thu 08 Aug 2024 5:44pm
seano1 wrote: Wed 07 Aug 2024 9:20pm My wife has said they can stick the membership where g allens sun doesn’t shine
And two fairly large contractors (by their own measurement) stated on SEN that they would close their accounts with RSEA if we pick up TT
Which two

A real Sainter will pledge allegiance to the ❤🤍🖤 and despise the Pies, the Blues, and the Injectors.
Remember one of the 10 Commandments : Thou shalt have no other team before thee
Vortex
Saintsational Legend

Sanctorum wrote: Thu 08 Aug 2024 5:03pm Gubby Allen having a discussion with Thomas over lunch is in itself not unreasonable for St Kilda's recruiting team, to assess if in fact Thomas is deserving of consideration to return to senior football once the legal process in November has concluded.

As far as I'm concerned I believe it is best to await that outcome before rushing to judgement one way or the other, as the facts of his offending and the things he has done in the meantime to remedy his abusive behaviour towards women will all come to light.

If it is demonstrated that Thomas does not face further sanctions and has provided clear evidence that he has rehabilitated, St Kilda's much lauded and strong off-field support network for First Nations players can be expected to guide the club one way or another on the wisdom of bringing Thomas on board.
As a secondary issue for myself, I just think a poor club like ours should not be taking on projects that could direct valuable and limited resources away from core business. I believe in the concept of rehabilitation, but in terms of our poor club having to potentially redirect resources to rectify any situation that may arise from TT's potential poor choices, then I'm against recruiting a known problem child for that reason. To illustrate my point, try and guess how much money and resource went into navigating the club and it's staff away from the school girl event.

However my primary issue is how one is supposed to treat, behave and interact with fellow human beings, if TT clearly struggles with the concept then I'd like to think public stoning's will return to vogue one day for humans who aren't born with a properly functioning brain in that regard.

Can we please start a voting thread with this question:

Would you like to see public stoning's be re introduced as a form of punishment?

whiskers3614
Saintsational Legend

Vortex wrote: Thu 08 Aug 2024 6:14pm
Sanctorum wrote: Thu 08 Aug 2024 5:03pm Gubby Allen having a discussion with Thomas over lunch is in itself not unreasonable for St Kilda's recruiting team, to assess if in fact Thomas is deserving of consideration to return to senior football once the legal process in November has concluded.

As a secondary issue for myself, I just think a poor club like ours should not be taking on projects that could direct valuable and limited resources away from core business. I believe in the concept of rehabilitation, but in terms of our poor club having to potentially redirect resources to rectify any situation that may arise from TT's potential poor choices, then I'm against recruiting a known problem child for that reason. To illustrate my point, try and guess how much money and resource went into navigating the club and it's staff away from the school girl event.

However my primary issue is how one is supposed to treat, behave and interact with fellow human beings, if TT clearly struggles with the concept then I'd like to think public stoning's will return to vogue one day for humans who aren't born with a properly functioning brain in that regard.

Would you like to see public stoning's be re introduced as a form of punishment?
Let the stoning begin with those that use apostrophes inappropriately in plurals!

TheGreatZacsby
Club Player

Saints fans on reddit not happy AT ALL.

Poor membership department copped it:

https://www.reddit.com/r/StKilda/s/84XJ6Xh6qv

Devilhead
Saintsational Legend

Guilty until proven innocent

The Devil makes work for idle hands!!!
Vortex
Saintsational Legend

Devilhead wrote: Thu 08 Aug 2024 7:07pm Guilty until proven innocent
BYO Rocks.

WellardSaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Perth- the best weather in Oz, but the worst rednecks.

We took a risk on Nathan Freeman.
He was a big risk n club decided they had the resources to get him right.

Let's not try to save another club's cast-off

A real Sainter will pledge allegiance to the ❤🤍🖤 and despise the Pies, the Blues, and the Injectors.
Remember one of the 10 Commandments : Thou shalt have no other team before thee
skeptic
Saintsational Legend

Boy… this post is a whirlwind. All set for a thanks after the first paragraph and a delete (not really) after how the second ended facetiousness not withstanding.

Wild

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

skeptic wrote: Thu 08 Aug 2024 7:28pm

Boy… this post is a whirlwind. All set for a thanks after the first paragraph and a delete (not really) after how the second ended facetiousness not withstanding.

Wild
I'd like to highlight that I said 'if' TT struggles with the concept, I am a reasonable man if nothing else.

cwrcyn
Saintsational Legend

Two words.....Andrew Lovett

Devilhead
Saintsational Legend

cwrcyn wrote: Thu 08 Aug 2024 8:05pm Two words.....Andrew Lovett
Pretty sure he was found innocent

The Devil makes work for idle hands!!!
Scollop
Saintsational Legend

Vortex wrote: Thu 08 Aug 2024 7:41pm

Wild
I'd like to highlight that I said 'if' TT struggles with the concept, I am a reasonable man if nothing else.
Don't lie

You're not a man

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

Scollop wrote: Thu 08 Aug 2024 8:10pm
Vortex wrote: Thu 08 Aug 2024 7:41pm

Wild
Don't lie

You're not a man
There it is again

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

🤣🤣😂😜

Sainter_Dad
Saintsational Legend

“Youth ages, immaturity is outgrown, ignorance can be educated, and drunkenness sobered, but stupid lasts forever.”

― Aristophanes

If you have a Bee in your Bonnet - I can assist you with that - but it WILL involve some smacking upside the head!
repta
Club Player

May 2024
ALL 18 AFL clubs will come together in a coordinated statement this weekend condemning violence against women.

Ahead of all matches in round eight, players, senior coaches and umpires will come together to pay a silent tribute to those women who have lost their lives. 

AFL CEO Andrew Dillon said the industry had an opportunity to make a stand and bring awareness to gender-based violence in Australia.

"When it comes to violence against women, the only acceptable figure is zero," Dillon said.

"This weekend we will unite and remember all the women who have been killed as a result of gender-based violence and stand in solidarity in committing to do more to stop this community-wide problem.

"We also understand our industry still has work to do, but we are committed to continuing to educate, to take action and even more conscious of that we must work harder than ever. All men are responsible for doing better.

"I want thank our clubs, players, umpires and the wider industry for coming together to highlight an issue that needs serious attention."

3 months later .........

Sign him up .....

Short memories or is it just convenience?

Bit of vacuous virtual signalling. .. followed by rewarding one of the perpetrators....

Literally vould not be more hypercritical.

repta
Club Player

May 2024
ALL 18 AFL clubs will come together in a coordinated statement this weekend condemning violence against women.

Ahead of all matches in round eight, players, senior coaches and umpires will come together to pay a silent tribute to those women who have lost their lives. 

AFL CEO Andrew Dillon said the industry had an opportunity to make a stand and bring awareness to gender-based violence in Australia.

"When it comes to violence against women, the only acceptable figure is zero," Dillon said.

"This weekend we will unite and remember all the women who have been killed as a result of gender-based violence and stand in solidarity in committing to do more to stop this community-wide problem.

"We also understand our industry still has work to do, but we are committed to continuing to educate, to take action and even more conscious of that we must work harder than ever. All men are responsible for doing better.

"I want thank our clubs, players, umpires and the wider industry for coming together to highlight an issue that needs serious attention."

3 months later .........

Sign him up .....

Short memories or is it just convenience?

Bit of vacuous virtual signalling. .. followed by rewarding one of the perpetrators....

Literally vould not be more hypercritical.