Tarryn Thomas

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

Re: Tarryn Thomas

Crazy not to get this bloke

whiskers3614
Saintsational Legend

Can’t believe this is even being discussed or considered!
But I suppose up to 50% of people consider Trump for president.

TheGreatZacsby
Club Player

There’s a lot of angry Saints fans on Saints page reddit and the AFl reddit. A lot will walk away from the club if we sign the bloke up. If he makes us a better outfit and we can get aunty Katrina and the indigenous boys around him than I’d say let’s give it a go.

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

TheGreatZacsby wrote: Thu 08 Aug 2024 11:41am There’s a lot of angry Saints fans on Saints page reddit and the AFl reddit. A lot will walk away from the club if we sign Thai bloke up. If he makes us a better outfit and we can get aunty Katrina and the indigenous boys around him than I’d say let’s give it a go.
I’ve kind of landed on this view as well but I’m a little ignorant as to all the goings on.
If someone is so inclined, can the PM me the broad strokes of what he’s done that got this response?

I think back to that Indigenous player from a few seasons ago… everyone considered him to be an elite junior prospect (top pick on talent) but there were huge flags about his “issues”.

He didn’t get drafted then Hawthorn took him as rookie but cut him a year later. That didn’t seem so controversial.

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

TheGreatZacsby wrote: Thu 08 Aug 2024 11:41am There’s a lot of angry Saints fans on Saints page reddit and the AFl reddit. A lot will walk away from the club if we sign the bloke up. If he makes us a better outfit and we can get aunty Katrina and the indigenous boys around him than I’d say let’s give it a go.
ill be angry if we dont get him

WellardSaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Perth- the best weather in Oz, but the worst rednecks.

skeptic wrote: Thu 08 Aug 2024 11:51am
TheGreatZacsby wrote: Thu 08 Aug 2024 11:41am There’s a lot of angry Saints fans on Saints page reddit and the AFl reddit. A lot will walk away from the club if we sign Thai bloke up. If he makes us a better outfit and we can get aunty Katrina and the indigenous boys around him than I’d say let’s give it a go.
I’ve kind of landed on this view as well but I’m a little ignorant as to all the goings on.
If someone is so inclined, can the PM me the broad strokes of what he’s done that got this response?

I think back to that Indigenous player from a few seasons ago… everyone considered him to be an elite junior prospect (top pick on talent) but there were huge flags about his “issues”.

He didn’t get drafted then Hawthorn took him as rookie but cut him a year later. That didn’t seem so controversial.
Allegedly stalked a former GF/partner, DV allegations, lots of abusive texts (alleged)

Was suspended by Norf while he went thru re-education on behaviour, returned to training, then had another indiscretion, suspended, more education...
Returned to club...got charged by cops, Norf said enough and cut him.
Court case in Nov- charges of using carriage service to harrass, intimidate, etc

A real Sainter will pledge allegiance to the ❤🤍🖤 and despise the Pies, the Blues, and the Injectors.
Remember one of the 10 Commandments : Thou shalt have no other team before thee
SteeleSaints
Club Player

Thomas is not another Dusty Martin and like anything there are pro's and con's. In this situation I think his off field baggage far out weighs his prospective onfield performances. It screams of desparation the supporters wanting to get him in, half of which probably haven't seen him play more than 1 game.

mad saint guy
Saintsational Legend

I'm ambivalent on this matter. On one hand, he'll likely continue down the path he's been on and fail...on the other, he has the talent to win a Brownlow and he's still young. We turned Gardi around...there's a lot more potential upside to having him on the list than Bonner/Ross/Allison next year

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

66Iwasthere
Club Player

NO NO NO. DV is one of the biggest scourges in society today. Recruiting him would be saying it’s ok. Thumbs the nose at our female team, staff and members. If we were to win our next premiership with him in the team, it will be forever tainted

whiskers3614
Saintsational Legend

SteeleSaints wrote: Thu 08 Aug 2024 12:34pm Thomas is not another Dusty Martin and like anything there are pro's and con's. In this situation I think his off field baggage far out weighs his prospective onfield performances. It screams of desparation the supporters wanting to get him in, half of which probably haven't seen him play more than 1 game.
And cop the ridicule from every other club's supporters when he inevitably stuffs up.
Lovett should have cured us of any warped ideas of turning morons around!

whiskers3614
Saintsational Legend

The Fireman wrote: Thu 08 Aug 2024 11:54am
TheGreatZacsby wrote: Thu 08 Aug 2024 11:41am There’s a lot of angry Saints fans on Saints page reddit and the AFl reddit. A lot will walk away from the club if we sign the bloke up. If he makes us a better outfit and we can get aunty Katrina and the indigenous boys around him than I’d say let’s give it a go.
Your messiah has a strong record with idiots/troubled souls:
Lovett
Sylvia
Benell
Yarran

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

If we were to get him, it would be a big test for the Danny Frawley Centre. He obviously has issues. Sometimes people can get through them, other times they form a pattern that repeats over and over. There’s no way of knowing

St Dave
Club Player

mad saint guy wrote: Thu 08 Aug 2024 12:52pm I'm ambivalent on this matter. On one hand, he'll likely continue down the path he's been on and fail...on the other, he has the talent to win a Brownlow and he's still young. We turned Gardi around...there's a lot more potential upside to having him on the list than Bonner/Ross/Allison next year
I don't know why this idea that he is a potential star is so persistent.

https://afltables.com/afl/stats/players ... homas.html

He had potential when he was drafted, but even in a poor North team the best he could average is 20 touches and a goal. Plenty of North players out perform him over that period. Assuming he plays next year he will be 25 coming off a year out of the game.
Last edited by St Dave on Thu 08 Aug 2024 4:11pm, edited 1 time in total.

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

SteeleSaints wrote: Thu 08 Aug 2024 12:34pm Thomas is not another Dusty Martin and like anything there are pro's and con's. In this situation I think his off field baggage far out weighs his prospective onfield performances. It screams of desparation the supporters wanting to get him in, half of which probably haven't seen him play more than 1 game.
My personal view here…

I work at a court and see these types of scenarios pretty much everyday. Some people do as MSG suggests, fall further down the rabbit hole and come back and forth through the legal system. Others get the help that they need to turn stuff around and make changes.

Courts typically lean towards a rehabilitative approach to these types of matters in the early stages because the literature clearly demonstrates that getting people help especially early on is what most effectively serves the community.
And by that I mean, it results in less repeat offending which is the desired outcome opposed to things like fines, community service, imprisonment etc. The more, let’s call them punitive measures, tend not to act as deterrents and usually results in the same people having the same skills to deal with the same situations and sees further offending.

If TT is not in custody now, what that tells me is that in this instance, he’s not considered to be a high or unacceptable risk of further offending until his matter comes to court. It’s also fairly suggestive but not definitive that without further offending, he’s unlikely to get a custodial disposition for these charges.

So the first question I’m asking is do we actually have a strong sense of how he has been since he was charged/cut?
It’s an important question.
Is he pissing it up and still acting like a train wreck and hasn’t been pinged or is he actually actually making/has made positive change and is working on it.

If it’s the latter… then personally I’m more inclined to give him another chance whilst openly acknowledging that in quite ignorant of what he’s done (thanks WS for the post above).

Through fear of making this political I won’t get into things like goals/responses/societal views etc but I’ll just add that personally… I believe in opportunities, chances and second chances if people are doing the work to earn them.

What’s often the difference between a success story and failure is capitalising on momentum when you’re ready for it. People will call me a naive do gooder and I get that.

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

whiskers3614 wrote: Thu 08 Aug 2024 1:06pm
The Fireman wrote: Thu 08 Aug 2024 11:54am
Your messiah has a strong record with idiots/troubled souls:
Lovett
Sylvia
Benell
Yarran
and dealt with them

Fanboy of the messiah.

SinCitySainter
Club Player

I think you have to take into account the reputational damage carrying a player such as Thomas has.
North's reputation was not damaged by Thomas because they acted and got him off the books.
They could have probably got away with minimal damage had they stood by him in support while standing him down.
However, actively chasing him is a recipe for disaster, the press will absolutely crucify us particularly Caroline Wilson.
Too much negative press has a very good chance of costing us sponsors as well.
Name me a business who wants to be associated with a club who is perceived to not condemn domestic violence.
Rank stupidity if we do this.
I however would be very surprised if a certain Andrew Bassett wasn't on the phone stating that while he would never interfere with on field actions he would feel it was a bad look for our club, sponsors, associated staff and board members.

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

whiskers3614 wrote: Thu 08 Aug 2024 1:00pm
And cop the ridicule from every other club's supporters when he inevitably stuffs up.
Lovett should have cured us of any warped ideas of turning morons around!
you're worried about what oppo supporters say about us ?? lol where have you been for the last 50 yrs ?

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

SinCitySainter wrote: Thu 08 Aug 2024 1:45pm I think you have to take into account the reputational damage carrying a player such as Thomas has.
North's reputation was not damaged by Thomas because they acted and got him off the books.
They could have probably got away with minimal damage had they stood by him in support while standing him down.
However, actively chasing him is a recipe for disaster, the press will absolutely crucify us particularly Caroline Wilson.
Too much negative press has a very good chance of costing us sponsors as well.
Name me a business who wants to be associated with a club who is perceived to not condemn domestic violence.
Rank stupidity if we do this.
I however would be very surprised if a certain Andrew Bassett wasn't on the phone stating that while he would never interfere with on field actions he would feel it was a bad look for our club, sponsors, associated staff and board members.
if Nth persisted with him and in the off chance win a flag what would the media say then and who would give a s*** ?

TimeToShineFellas
SS Hall of Fame

No doubt it's never boring down at Moorabbin....

And it's not like we're the only club that have had players on the list that have got themselves into deep legal water with respect to the fairer sex.

I'm pretty sure if it was Geelong for example, then they'd probably be lauded by some sections saying they can "turn him around", but obviously as it's St Kilda then out come the ctitics

IF they go down the road of recruiting TT (and if it were me) I'd give him a two-year contract with strict guidelines and have him play the first year of his contract at Sandy

TheGreatZacsby
Club Player

WellardSaint wrote: Thu 08 Aug 2024 12:31pm
skeptic wrote: Thu 08 Aug 2024 11:51am

Allegedly stalked a former GF/partner, DV allegations, lots of abusive texts (alleged)

Was suspended by Norf while he went thru re-education on behaviour, returned to training, then had another indiscretion, suspended, more education...
Returned to club...got charged by cops, Norf said enough and cut him.
Court case in Nov- charges of using carriage service to harrass, intimidate, etc
To give a more legal system view.

He had committed family violence to his former partner. The court has ordered an intervention order.

Tarryn Thomas has since breached this intervention order by messaging said partner via phone. He has been charged with breach of intervention order / court order and use carriage service (mobile phone) to harass. Went to court. He got exonerated and have to do a mens behaviour change program and community service. North Melbourne issued their own punishment.

He has since completed both and has them messaged said girlfriend since. She didn’t go to the courts this time (probably because he got a slap on the wrist) and went to the AFL player integrity and they imposed the big ban on him as published in the media.

He’s been sighted doing stuff with women out in clubs and what not and treating women disrespectfully (like JDG) but this is all rumour mill.

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

TimeToShineFellas wrote: Thu 08 Aug 2024 2:03pm No doubt it's never boring down at Moorabbin....

And it's not like we're the only club that have had players on the list that have got themselves into deep legal water with respect to the fairer sex.

I'm pretty sure if it was Geelong for example, then they'd probably be lauded by some sections saying they can "turn him around", but obviously as it's St Kilda then out come the ctitics

IF they go down the road of recruiting TT (and if it were me) I'd give him a two-year contract with strict guidelines and have him play the first year of his contract at Sandy
Waaaaaaay too generous, if we are talking about losing our minds, I'd put him on match payments of hot showers at the end of a game and a free feed, and include a clause in his one page contract that allows for the club to sell bags of rocks to women and to attend games where they can throw them at him if he commits any acts of violence towards women.

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

TheGreatZacsby wrote: Thu 08 Aug 2024 2:12pm
He’s been sighted doing stuff with women out in clubs and what not and treating women disrespectfully (like JDG) but this is all rumour mill.
Appreciate this TGZ. Obviously that’s very disappointing to read and one hopes the club is doing their due diligence in that regard.
Hopefully it comes across that my genuine hope/belief in second chances extends to those actually fighting to earn them as opposed to taking the pi$$

** Just in case you’ve already read this… I edited this post as I misunderstood part of it first time round :)

TheGreatZacsby
Club Player

skeptic wrote: Thu 08 Aug 2024 1:17pm
My personal view here…

I work at a court and see these types of scenarios pretty much everyday. Some people do as MSG suggests, Alfie further down the rabbit hole and come back and forth through the legal system. Others get the help that they need to turn stuff around and make changes.

Courts typically lean towards a rehabilitative approach to these types of matters in the early stages because the literature clearly demonstrates that getting people help especially early on is what most effectively serves the community.
And by that I mean, it results in less repeat offending which is the desired outcome opposed to things like fines, community service, imprisonment etc. The more, let’s call them punitive measures, tend not to act as deterrents and usually results in the same people having the same skills to deal with the same situations and sees further offending.

If TT is not in custody now, what that tells me is that in this instance, he’s not considered to be a high or unacceptable risk of further offending until his matter comes to court. It’s also fairly suggestive but not definitive that without further offending, he’s unlikely to get a custodial disposition for these charges.

So the first question I’m asking is do we actually have a strong sense of how he has been since he was charged/cut?
It’s an important question.
Is he pissing it up and still acting like a train wreck and hasn’t been pinged or is he actually actually making/has made positive change and is working on it.

If it’s the latter… then personally I’m more inclined to give him another chance whilst openly acknowledging that in quite ignorant of what he’s done (thanks WS for the post above).

Through fear of making this political I won’t get into things like goals/responses/societal views etc but I’ll just add that personally… I believe in opportunities, chances and second chances if people are doing the work to earn them.

What’s often the difference between a success story and failure is capitalising on momentum when you’re ready for it. People will call me a naive do gooder and I get that.
Skeptic I totally agree.

I work in the legal field as well. I’ve seen my fair share of FV situations.

There’s always two sides to every story. Not trying to victim blame but a lot of these female victims message the respondent and either go to their house or invite them over to work on the relationship.

That fact he got off light suggests the messaging wasn’t a severe as publicised. Yet again the magistrates these days are cooked with the whole youth crisis and the bail reform to indigenous Australians means they can commit major crime and just be released into the public like it’s another day in the office.

He comes to us on low money, he’s a top 5 draft pick and is a one touch player with pace and aerial skills. Good for one goal a game and 20 disposals that’s a Caminiti and a Brad Hill combined for stats reference.

We have got a great centre (DFC) for mental health and behavioural change, we have one of the best if not the best sporting indigenous culture in the country and I back the club to get him right.

TheGreatZacsby
Club Player

skeptic wrote: Thu 08 Aug 2024 2:22pm
TheGreatZacsby wrote: Thu 08 Aug 2024 2:12pm
Appreciate this TGZ. Obviously that’s very disappointing to read and one hopes the club is doing their due diligence in that regard.
Hopefully it comes across that my genuine hope/belief in second chances extends to those actually fighting to earn them as opposed to taking the pi$$

** Just in case you’ve already read this… I edited this post as I misunderstood part of it first time round :)
I can’t share my professional background for privacy reasons and I will get introuble with work, but what I can say and what I mean to say is the victim was probably annoyed at the court outcome which most are so she went to the AFL player integrity unit and disclosed the breach which would be forward on to the police. Without the victims cooperation Tarryn probably didn’t have to go to court.

In most family violence situations, the AFM (victim) calls police and discloses what had happened between them and the respondent (bad guy). Police are bound by legislation to act. Once the AFM hears that the respondent is getting removed from the house, no contact is imposed through an IVO most AFMs begin to stop cooperating with police because this isn’t there desired outcome.

Court can than impose an intervention order all good, but without the assistance of the victim what can you do? There’s a saying - no victim no crime and this holds up in court. How can say a Tarryn Thomas be accused for stalking or assault if the victim hasn’t provided a statement or didn’t want to get up in the box at court.

Always see both of the sides of the story before coming to a conclusion. We don’t know what has unfolded. But I hope the club is doing is it’s homework.